The Mario Movie trailer is out

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
And let's be honest here, if we take off the nostalgia goggles for a minute...an accent like that might be charming in small doses, but it would probably get a bit grating over the course of a full length film.
I honestly agree with this, which is why I asked whether modern Mario even actually talks in his games. I can't really imagine how it would be like. I think I've heard "Mario" talk more in parodies ala Robot Chicken than any actual Mario media.

And so curiosity got the better of me:

Kinda crazy how talkative Mario was in the old ass games and how silent he is today.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
It at least actually looks like Mario, which is a step up compared to other video game adaptations. It also looks like (for now) it's fully 3D animation so there aren't any arbitrary live action human characters to distract away from the characters viewers actually came to see *coughSonicTheHedgehogcoughTransformerscough* so there's another point in it's favor.

There's a clear sign of actual effort and quality in the trailer alone. No sign of "let's take a crappy concept and slap Mario characters on it so it'll sell" laziness like so many other adaptations.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Not to belabor the point, but I'm not sure that I'd count that as a mark against anyone. Sonic's original character design for the film could generously be described as off-putting, and by all accounts the redesign is a significant improvement. Never mind that the more cartoon-y redesign is itself a much more appealing design for the film's target audience.

Oh, undeniably the redesign looked better, but that intrinsic fact aside, as an adult the film was not targeting, I didn’t understand all the other adults raising the stink as they did. Regardless how much better he looked, I still had no interest in seeing the film.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Kinda crazy how talkative Mario was in the old ass games and how silent he is today.
Dude actually got roasted a bit for it in the Rabbids crossover game.

"It's-a-me! Let's-a-go!": The only words you know!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I didn’t understand all the other adults raising the stink as they did.
Because they had legitimate grievances, and most of them were kids that grew up on Sonic. Of course, any sane person wants to see their hero or favorite mascot at with the best representation and care. Sega had big complaints, but it was their responsibility to keep up with checking on the project in the first place. Even Nintendo fans stuck up for the Sega and Sonic fans that I had problems with the old design. The fact the top execs in Hollywood thought it would fly by with no problem, show how of depth/touch they are, and how little the greedy fucks actually care. The redesign is better, but it came at the cost of crunch, and immediately shutting the CGI animation studio down. Which shows how fucked the system still is.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Then you better stick with the live-action version. Or this...

Hmm, a Mario anime from 1986. I never knew about this, interesting. And Luigi's blue, haha.
Not to belabor the point, but I'm not sure that I'd count that as a mark against anyone. Sonic's original character design for the film could generously be described as off-putting, and by all accounts the redesign is a significant improvement. Never mind that the more cartoon-y redesign is itself a much more appealing design for the film's target audience.

We got robbed. I wanted to see the horrifying Sanic Movie, with realistic human teeth!

I still wonder if they just made the trailer like that on purpose to stir up controversy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hmm, a Mario anime from 1986. I never knew about this, interesting. And Luigi's blue, haha.
We got robbed. I wanted to see the horrifying Sanic Movie, with realistic human teeth!

I still wonder if they just made the trailer like that on purpose to stir up controversy.
Given the production history, no they didn't. They thought that original design was okay and that no one would have a problem with it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At least it won't make any sense.
The trailer makes it look sense to me. It's a Mario movie. They literally just took the plot for the original manuals, where it's two plumbers from New York that get transported into a another world that has a kingdom being attacked by an evil force.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The trailer makes it look sense to me. It's a Mario movie. They literally just took the plot for the original manuals, where it's two plumbers from New York that get transported into a another world that has a kingdom being attacked by an evil force.
I'm vaguely curious if they'll allude to the idea that mushroom kingdom residents were turned into blocks and that's why they give goodies when Mario hits them.

I mean, I don't care if they do or don't but that was the legit reason in the game manual for the game mechanics. Before they realized nobody cared and dropped it without a peep.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I'm vaguely curious if they'll allude to the idea that mushroom kingdom residents were turned into blocks and that's why they give goodies when Mario hits them.

I mean, I don't care if they do or don't but that was the legit reason in the game manual for the game mechanics. Before they realized nobody cared and dropped it without a peep.
Nope, their banks use blocks