The media that made you a fan of your favorite superpowers.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
For those of you who have a favorite superpower or more, what media was it that made them your favorite? For me:

Electricity manipulation: Ace Lighting and Static Shock. I liked the fight scenes and really enjoyed how versatile Static was with electromagnetism.

Water manipulation: The Aquaman comics. Specifically, the ones that had Mera and Garth in it.

Teleportation: A Certain Magical Index.

Shadow manipulation: DC's Shade and Nightshade.

Reactions: OblongYellow

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Lion, the witch and the Wardrobe is probably why I like Ice themed witch queens.

You can have Witch-Kings, and a guess Witch Presidents, but you don't get Ice Kings or Ministers of Snow. Has to be Ice Queens who wear white or light grey gowns and a funny crown thingy.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The Lion, the witch and the Wardrobe is probably why I like Ice themed witch queens.

You can have Witch-Kings, and a guess Witch Presidents, but you don't get Ice Kings or Ministers of Snow. Has to be Ice Queens who wear white or light grey gowns and a funny crown thingy.
Wonder Woman has a villain called Minister Blizzard but I don't remember if he actually is a minister.

Also, isn't the Lich King from World of Warcraft an ice user? Power Rangers Mystic Force also had a guy called the Snow Prince who did have ice powers.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Just not the same.

Admittedly, my logic for this might be a bit odd, even for superpower discussions. But when there's cold related powers, a male official is just not the same as a female monarch.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Water manipulation: ATLA lol (Katara is a beast). With a little bit of Anime influence like Magi and Fairy Tale. Also, Percy Jackson.
Yeah I'd have to agree, though for me it would be Earthbending, thanks to Toph. I also love the waterbending, but yeah....earthbending just tickles my fancy so much. :LOL:

Separate favorite power, lightning/electricity powers, thanks to the inFamous 1/2 video games. The way they were implemented, including weaknesses, and situational supercharges (like in the middle of a thunderstorm for OP recharging).

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Being a depressed crypto-goth child, Spawn's metal-like protrusions that can become anything he wants always appealed quite a bit to me. Pity the only cinematic examples of it don't fully embrace the inspiring possiblities a more imaginative could conjour though.

OblongYellow

Alien ID: Oblong Yellow 47
Jun 23, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Chlorokinesis: Sky High and Batman Comics with Poison Ivy in it

Anger Empowerment and super strength: The Hulk

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
X-Men I guess, I really liked X-men when I was a kid, I was fascinated by all the powers but there were two that always seemed more interesting than the others which would be Mystiques ability to shapeshift, which it's just something I've always wanted to do because I'm obsessed with getting into places I'm not supposed to be in which would be super easy if I could pretend to be anyone and look like them, but you know also the existential dread of feeling like I'm nothing which would be fulfilled by my lack of a consistent physical form, the other one is Multiple Man's ability to multiply, there's always been thin sense that I'm tethered to a limited existence and I've always thought that there's something fascinating about the ability to be at multiple places at once, just think about it you could be working and hanging out with friends and also a separate you studying, it'd be great, I could do anything, no dropping out of school to work full time or anything like that, I could even study multiple things at once.

And of course if you combine the two powers there's very little you couldn't do, I mean you could literally take over the world if you wanted.

OblongYellow

Alien ID: Oblong Yellow 47
Jun 23, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
X-Men I guess, I really liked X-men when I was a kid, I was fascinated by all the powers but there were two that always seemed more interesting than the others which would be Mystiques ability to shapeshift, which it's just something I've always wanted to do because I'm obsessed with getting into places I'm not supposed to be in which would be super easy if I could pretend to be anyone and look like them, but you know also the existential dread of feeling like I'm nothing which would be fulfilled by my lack of a consistent physical form, the other one is Multiple Man's ability to multiply, there's always been thin sense that I'm tethered to a limited existence and I've always thought that there's something fascinating about the ability to be at multiple places at once, just think about it you could be working and hanging out with friends and also a separate you studying, it'd be great, I could do anything, no dropping out of school to work full time or anything like that, I could even study multiple things at once.

And of course if you combine the two powers there's very little you couldn't do, I mean you could literally take over the world if you wanted.
So true, Mystique and Multiple Man are the ultimate ones with great powers. They may not be as flashy as others but they're very useful and powerful

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Serious downside to being Mystique, though, once people know she can be anyone, everyone tries the Mystique defense for everyting. "No, it wasn't me in front of 50 eyewitnesses, it was Mystique". Some of the people using that defense might be powerful enough to pose a threat to her, and once they've used that defense, they'd have a reason to.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Serious downside to being Mystique, though, once people know she can be anyone, everyone tries the Mystique defense for everyting. "No, it wasn't me in front of 50 eyewitnesses, it was Mystique". Some of the people using that defense might be powerful enough to pose a threat to her, and once they've used that defense, they'd have a reason to.
Eh, I mean if you're talking about in a court of law, that's purely speculation, and would have to be actually proven in court with some kind of evidence. But really you could say that about any of them. "It wasn't me, it was Emma Frost! She mind controlled me to do that!" or "She mind controlled you to THINK it was me sleeping with your wife! I TOOOOTALLY didn't do her raw dog!"

Which, honestly is one of the more common themes of the X-Men overall. "Easy scapegoats based on bigotry and fear." Is used a lot against them as plot devices in the various stories dealing with social issues.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, I mean if you're talking about in a court of law, that's purely speculation, and would have to be actually proven in court with some kind of evidence.
Surely reasonable doubt in the mind of one jury member gets the defendant off? Doesn't prove that is was Mystique that did whatever it was, but I'd imagine she'd get annoyed with that.

But really you could say that about any of them. "It wasn't me, it was Emma Frost! She mind controlled me to do that!" or "She mind controlled you to THINK it was me sleeping with your wife! I TOOOOTALLY didn't do her raw dog!"

Which, honestly is one of the more common themes of the X-Men overall. "Easy scapegoats based on bigotry and fear." Is used a lot against them as plot devices in the various stories dealing with social issues.
True.

Reactions: happyninja42

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
I may have too many favorite superpowers to mention, here's some of my favorite superpowers and why I'm fan of them:
  1. Intuitive aptitude: cuz this was Sylar's first superpower to have and this was my favorite Superpowers cuz this allows me to applying scientific method on (more) supernatural things. Unlike Sylar's version of this, this won't give me horror hunger
  2. Aura Manipulation: cuz this was Underused concept in Pokemon anime(particularly when used by Ash Ketchum) where this can manifest as vast and massive array of Superhuman powers, making this superpower most versatile superpowers ever
  3. Cyberpotence: the Matrix can make Neo literal god in cyberspace(even when he can't use his powers in real world)
  4. Metahuman-level physical stats: particularly when used by non-powered superheroes(notably Robin from Teen Titans cartoon, he's more of Borderline Metahuman than even his comic book self)
That's it so far

Last edited: