The Millennium Falcon for Star Wars VII is Under Construction

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
The Millennium Falcon for Star Wars VII is Under Construction

Star Wars Episode VII construction photos of the Millennium Falcon and X-wing set pieces leaked.

With Han Solo expected to be [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134088-Report-Han-Solo-Will-Have-a-Gigantic-Role-in-Episode-VII"]a major character[/a] in the first film of the Star Wars sequel trilogy, it is not surprising to learn that the Millennium Falcon, his iconic ship, will also make an appearance. [a href="http://www.tmz.com/2014/06/03/star-wars-episode-7-millennium-falcon-set-photos/"]TMZ[/a] obtained photos from a location where set pieces and props are constructed that reveal the Falcon and an X-wing mid-way through completion. Once again, photos like this prove that J.J. Abrams Star Wars Episode VII will not be as CG heavy as many fans feared.

More photos [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134982-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Leaked-Set-Pictures-Show-New-Creature-Tatooine"]revealed earlier this week[/a] showed off more physical props and animatronic creatures in a desert that is most likely the set for Tatooine. The Star Wars VII [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134965-Game-of-Thrones-Brienne-of-Tarth-Joins-Cast-of-Star-Wars-VII"]news this week[/a] also revealed the addition of Gwendoline Christie and Lupita Nyong'o to the cast. Reactions to leaked photos and cast additions have been positive, even while adding to the hype machine Bob "MovieBob" Chipman [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/9151-This-Episode-is-Part-of-the-Problem"]criticized last month[/a].

[gallery=2606]

Like many Star Wars fans, I adore the Millennium Falcon. Even though its inclusion is not a huge surprise, it's oddly comforting to know the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs will be present in at least one film of the sequel trilogy.

News and Photo Source: [a href="http://www.tmz.com/2014/06/03/star-wars-episode-7-millennium-falcon-set-photos/"]TMZ[/a]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
What looks like a modified X-Wing in one of those pictures. More forward facing cockpit, more narrow nose structure.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
$10 says they destroy the ship as part of establishing that the new bad guys mean business.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
The Gentleman said:
On a positive note: at least they are working with live models and sets when they have the option...
I'll stop being pessimistic when

1. they promise to keep the lens flares down to 1 per minute at most
2. they start talking practical effects

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Well there goes my last ounce of wanting to see this movie now. Why can't they use anything new? Same planet, now same ship. I would rather have a movie explore the universe.

harryhenry

Jun 28, 2012
MCerberus said:
The Gentleman said:
On a positive note: at least they are working with live models and sets when they have the option...

What do you mean by "They start talking practical effects"? did you not see the other video and photos from the set that show they're using practical effects?

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
What looks like a modified X-Wing in one of those pictures. More forward facing cockpit, more narrow nose structure.
I came here to post the same thing. Plus I'm not sure if its just the angle of the photo, but it looks like the engines have been redesigned as well.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Surprised he doesn't just throw out the falcon so he can have his own ship design. :p

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Yawn. Every shred of news they strategically leak about this film makes me more bored than ever. Same old planets, same old ships, same old characters, same old deterministic plot...

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Yawn. Every shred of news they strategically leak about this film makes me more bored than ever. Same old planets, same old ships, same old characters, same old deterministic plot...
But you'll see it anyway. This is essentially no different than the Call of Duty franchise.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
EndlessSporadic said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
But you'll see it anyway. This is essentially no different than the Call of Duty franchise.
Haven't played a Call of Duty game since the original, actually. As for Star Wars episode whatever, I would consider seeing it if they were going to do something interesting with the franchise (along the lines of some of the more imaginative extended universe books or exploring some of the issues with the Jedi that the KOTOR series flagged), but if it's going to be utterly unimaginative I won't bother. Okay, I might watch it on TV, I'll grant you that.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Avaholic03 said:
$10 says they destroy the ship as part of establishing that the new bad guys mean business.
As if a thousand fanboys suddenly cried out in...

Sorry.

And yep, I think you may be right there.

Starbolt-81

Jan 7, 2009
MCerberus said:

Part of me hopes J.J is secretly a massive Star Wars fan, and he butchered the new Trek movies on purpose :p

But yes, the reveal of actual physical set pieces like this gives me a new hope (fnar fnar) for this sequel.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
As someone who actually really liked the newer Star Trek movies, I think I made the mistake of letting the Abrams haters give me dour hopes for this movie.

But with these news tidbits coming in, I can't help but get more and more excited.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
They're still never getting around to fixing the hyper drive.