The Mini-NES Can't Go Online, Will Never Get New Games

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
Kibeth41 said:
Gutsripper said:
I'll stick with my emulators then.
Vern said:
Or, you know, there are ways to play NES games on your computer. And connecting your computer to a monitor. And dongles that let you use an NES or SNES controller on your computer.
I stated a similar thing. Though, emulators are considered piracy. This is an outlet to buy the games legitimately.
I know, and I'd love to buy it (I still might) but out of the 30 games it comes with I only like about 5 or 6 of them.
And with no future additions... well it just kinda sucks because that could have made this an awesome thing.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
I sure hope they will do something similar with the SNES. Especially with its controller.
It seems that this must be emulation-based, considering it has savestate support. In light of that, consider that Nintendo only supported SNES emulation on the New 3DS (with its faster, more powerful CPU) and not only the original revision of the 3DS (which still supported NES games). Perhaps that means that the internal components of a mini-SNES would be too costly to make such a project worthwhile. I guess we'll see.

Kibeth41 said:
And games like Duckhunt don't use the Wii remote because they'd have to see modifications in order to work with the controller. The light gun is a very different input to the Wii remote/sensor bar.
Very true ? except Duck Hunt is already available on the Virtual Console, so the hard work of reprogramming has already been done. Nonetheless, trying to work in sensor bar support for a unit such as this is probably far, far more trouble than it would be worth.
https://www.destructoid.com/duck-hunt-on-the-wii-u-virtual-console-is-too-easy-285390.phtml

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Gorfias said:
That's as maybe, but uhh...

<__>

You know people with computers won't even bother, especially if it doesn't have compatibility with peripherals.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
InsanityRequiem said:
Where did the idea that the mini-NES will be able to play more than the stock 30 games come from?
The game sizes are incredibly small. Just increase the storage space a bit more if required. I honestly highly doubt these games even take up a gig.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
It can't go online and will never get a new game?

So basically it is exactly like a regular NES and all of those this are expected and not actually downsides.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
RoBi3.0 said:

So basically it is exactly like a regular NES and all of those this are expected and not actually downsides.
You do know that there were 713 games put out for the NES, not including the hundred or so that were unlicensed, right? I'd say 30 is a bit on the lean side.

Plus, there are people who can take old carts and reprogram them with new homebrews, fan translations of Japanese games and games made up of unreleased material and the games function like a regular NES cart. It's a bit complicated but it can be done with a bit of technical knowhow.

How is this anything like an original NES? It has way less functionality (aside from saves, which some games on the list had already) and is priced at basically what an NES was back in the 80s. You can buy replica systems that play actual NES, SNES and Sega carts for almost the same price.

Fhqwhgod

Apr 7, 2015
The 30 games on it are quite good. But why put on Simon's Quest and not Castlevania 3 instead? #Castlevania2DoesNotExist

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Naldan said:
I sure hope they will do something similar with the SNES. Especially with its controller.
If they do that I'll get it in a heartbeat. 30 Games for that kind of money is a steal and so far I had to make do with PSP emulation. Which is nice and remarkably easy, but I'd rather have such a swanky console and an actual SNES controller.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Chewster said:
RoBi3.0 said:

You do know that there were 713 games put out for the NES, not including the hundred or so that were unlicensed, right? I'd say 30 is a bit on the lean side.

Plus, there are people who can take old carts and reprogram them with new homebrews, fan translations of Japanese games and games made up of unreleased material and the games function like a regular NES cart. It's a bit complicated but it can be done with a bit of technical knowhow.

How is this anything like an original NES? It has way less functionality (aside from saves, which some games on the list had already) and is priced at basically what an NES was back in the 80s. You can buy replica systems that play actual NES, SNES and Sega carts for almost the same price.
Yes I know there are way more games than what comes on the mini-nes, but NONE of them are less than 2 decades+ old and the original system didn't go online. So what I said was 100% actuate. In other words I was making an IRONIC joke.

also lol that you would think that Nintendo would support fan projects. I mean give me a fraking break bro. Nintendo cant even tolerate people steaming their games. And I think only a complete idiot would expect this to be in anyway comparable to the original NES. Its an inexpensive game bundle wrapped in a cute gimmick. It is not supposed to fill the void left by a crappy childhood.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Micah Weil said:
It's going to fly off the shelves regardless. The lineup they mentioned is beautiful.
The second the hackers fix the "can't add new games" issue, it's going to be even more scarce.
Better to wait for someone to crack one open before buying it. Besides by the time it's moddable the price could have dropped.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
The Enquirer said:
InsanityRequiem said:
Where did the idea that the mini-NES will be able to play more than the stock 30 games come from?
The game sizes are incredibly small. Just increase the storage space a bit more if required. I honestly highly doubt these games even take up a gig.
I'm pretty sure the entire NES library doesn't even take up a gigabyte of space total. There were over a thousand games released all over the world, not counting hacks, they could have included the entire library... Storage space isn't the issue though, a huge chunk of the NES's library was third party, so licensing fees are the limiting factor. Capcom, Konami, Activision, Square Enix, and so on will all want their chunk of flesh for every game included. That could make a trinket like the Mini-NES too expensive for anyone, except hard core fans, to justify it's existence. This little 30 game plug and play system is the kind of thing grandparents will buy for kids who will never touch the thing, not to mention the nostalgic Nintendo fans who will shell out for it. So it's the cost of the licenses, not the storage space, which is the limiting factor.

For everyone, this isn't a real console, it's just a plug-n-play affair like Radica and every other hack electronics company was doing in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Fhqwhgod said:
The 30 games on it are quite good. But why put on Simon's Quest and not Castlevania 3 instead? #Castlevania2DoesNotExist
You are aware that everything most hardcore gamers say they hate about Simon's Quest is exactly what those same people love about the Metroid, post Symphony of the Night, Castlevania, and Dark Souls franchise... Right? Simon's Quest's only flaws are a spotty obtuse translation and a few obtuse actions you need to take to finish the game. Aside from that the game is really good, especially as a sequel to the first Castlevania. It's like why people say they hate Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, it's different from the first game. Although a lot of people who make that complaint didn't get either game when they first came out, back before the franchises really established their lasting patterns. Still Simon's Quest is the same concept that we got with Metroid and that lead to all the most beloved Castlevania entries like Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, and Dawn of Sorrow.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh, uhh, BTW: While we know this is all a quick cash grab on Nintendo's part, retro gaming enthusiasts might try the Retron 5 instead.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Oh, uhh, BTW: While we know this is all a quick cash grab on Nintendo's part, retro gaming enthusiasts might try the Retron 5 instead.
You mean the emulator console with some serious shoddy hardware support? I mean even even PC software emulators work better than the freaking Retron consoles... If you have to emulate, go virtual console, official source, or get a cartridge reader and use PC emulators(which is not piracy, because if you use your own cartridges on a USB drive for actual original cartridges, or original CDs/DVDs, you're not stealing software.), because the Retrons are so god awful bad.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
I like it.
It would have been cooler though with access to the Virtual console so you can get more games. But it's still cool.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
I know there is the whole "why pay for when I can emulate it" argument, but this isn't for you. It isn't for me either, who had the games when I was a kid, emulated them when I went to college for convenience and lack of money, and then bought them again on Wii/Wii U. This is for those who stopped playing at one point and want to get a nostalgia fix. Or to buy for their kids so they can experience these great games without worrying about emulation or being online and don't have to buy a current gen system at 4-5x the price. For them, this is perfect. And since it's Nintendo, there is the assumption of quality.

And although many of us can very easily emulate these games, Nintendo is trying to preserve their games exactly as they were back in the day. So all of those games have been tested to be as accurate (only as bug-free as it was when released) as possible, hence the low number of titles (compared to all 700+). So these are great emulations, probably only could be better if they were actually emulating the circuit timing.

Besides, retro players like the Retcon aren't perfect. I wouldn't touch them unless there were no other used copies of the old consoles around. Or the old chips are actually faithfully reproduced, which is unlikely.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Huh. I really don't why people are scoffing at this. It looks like a fantastic way to play most of the well-known NES library. Most people aren't collectors/retro gaming enthusiasts who have this stuff kicking around, or owned the NES when it was still in production, or maybe inherited the system and some carts from a relative. Furthermore, it would cost you far more than 60 bucks to get the system and carts of all the games listed with this little nostalgia-box. As in a few hundred dollars more. But hey, there's always emulation.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
I would just like to point out that PC gamers have been able to play NES games for decades now. Also the entire archive and I do mean the full archive is only a few hundred megs. Even wit a rubbish internet connection you'd get that in seconds.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Fhqwhgod said:
Castlevania III has a special chip in it called the MMC5, sort of the NES's version of the SuperFX. So, emulating it is a pain in the ass.