The Ministry Of Sony

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
harhol post=7.74716.845528 said:
This is a standard user-agreement.

Please put a stop to all this laughable anti-Sony "news".

What's next? "Xbox360 owner says Xbox360 is better than PS3! Read all about it!"

yeah i agree, it's funny how "horrible" Sony is and how everyone must stop using Sony stuff but Microsoft, Blizzard, Facebook, Myspace and such, have similar eula and tos' but yet we don't go up in arms about it

the only difference between those groups is one of the is Japanese, the rest for the most part are american corps

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.74716.846003 said:
Does anyone know what the Valve TOS agreement looks like? Valve are the most gaming friendly company on the face of the planet, and I'd hazarda guess that theirs looks pret-ty similar.
i'd agree, tho i think steam's is probly a bit worse

don't you HAVE to authenticate steam games online to even play them? something tells me you do but where's all the hate for valve?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
cleverlymadeup post=7.74716.845791 said:
harhol post=7.74716.845528 said:
This is a standard user-agreement.

Please put a stop to all this laughable anti-Sony "news".

What's next? "Xbox360 owner says Xbox360 is better than PS3! Read all about it!"

yeah i agree, it's funny how "horrible" Sony is and how everyone must stop using Sony stuff but Microsoft, Blizzard, Facebook, Myspace and such, have similar eula and tos' but yet we don't go up in arms about it

the only difference between those groups is one of the is Japanese, the rest for the most part are american corps
I think what started this paticular story was Sony suddenly changing their EULA; making the bit they changed come under very harsh public scrutiny. If it had been there from the start (like most EULAs) then none of this would happen. I guess people dont like to be reminded how many liberties companies can theoretically take with their service & your infomation when you agree to their EULA/TOS. This coming after their change in the Little Big Planet EULA; again nothing unusual in itself except they changed it after releasing the EULA making the change again very public. Bad PR but no cause for alarm.

Oh, & Nationality/raceneednt be brought into it; I dont see Nintendo being brought up after all :) All these companies are effectively multinational conglomerates anyway.

s3cur1tr0n

Aug 5, 2008
cleverlymadeup post=7.74716.846147 said:
Indigo_Dingo post=7.74716.846003 said:
Does anyone know what the Valve TOS agreement looks like? Valve are the most gaming friendly company on the face of the planet, and I'd hazarda guess that theirs looks pret-ty similar.
i'd agree, tho i think steam's is probly a bit worse

don't you HAVE to authenticate steam games online to even play them? something tells me you do but where's all the hate for valve?
Valve=life

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.74716.847131 said:
Does Nintendo even have, or need, a TOS agreement? What can you share or distribute over the online service?
The Nintendo Channel does, because it has the ability to use play information to recommend games. Logging in to the channel for the first time gets you a thing that asks if you want to use this service or not.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.74716.846304 said:
Basically this whole generation has been about people hating on Sony for no good reason. People complain about the lack of decent games for the Ps3 before MGS4, a year and a half after release, and yet instantly forgive the 360 for the same time period before its first decent game i.e. Gears of War. People complain that its just trying to be a home entertainment center, forgetting that the 360 was the exact same thing and just backed the wrong horse. And it seems everyone, everywhere aside from me and a select few users, seems to see Folding @ Home as either nonexistent or an actual negative attribute.

And Decoy stop being so fucking predictable and making that stupid Mars Bars line every time I post because you think I'm just being a salesman rather than commenting on something I've noticed.
Resistance was good... so was motor storm (like COH2,PGR3,Oblivion,and GRAW all of which came out before Gears of War on the 360).

Snickers here! Get your premium Snickers here! Snickers Provides Substantial Satisfaction!

EDIT:Gears came out in a year not a year and a half.

This stuff always happens. I do not care really since I do not do the things they're targeting.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
we must provide them with your personal information.
That's just dirty business, I'm afraid. No one is advertising on PSN, so Sony probably just find it more profittable to give the option of selling contact or demographic details directly, rather than making their pretty unloyal and apathetic consumers fill out voluntary surveys.

jh322

May 14, 2008
Hold on. This really isn't that bad if you think about it. If you have anything to hide, why are you hiding it on PSN? The communications are largely going to be "dude, they're rushing us from the south side" or whatever. Do you think Facebook has even a remotely different policy? Or perhaps even the escapist? If you give somebody your information, unless it's the government or a bank, don't expect them to be particularly careful with it. Yes, there's a data protection act (in the U.K at least) but to be honest, what real harm can come from this? A little bit of spam in your email? Maybe? Possibly a letter to your house about a game you'll probably want to play anyway? With all the people using these systems, do you really think they're going to be even remotely bothered about messing with your information? There are other laws that protect you.

1) They can't charge your bank account without your consent.

2) Having communication removed is the same as having a post removed on the escapist, it happens, and it's usually for the betterment of the community.

3) Thinking they have some man with cheetos all over his keyboard checking up on what everbody says is ludicrous.

This is just rediculous. It's like asking a bank to have an account with them, but you don't want to tell them how much money you have.

EDIT: just saw the above dates, didn't mean to necro the thread.

Also, not a Sony fanboy at all...just studying a lot of data management issues with my degree, and the amount of paperwork involved is mindboggling and expensive, with disclaimers like these they can save themselves a lot of money.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
i'll join in the necro then...

that seems a little sinister, i wouldn't want people monitoring my private activities... But who would?