The missing job in video games

Zallest

Sep 25, 2008
I never see playable bards in games, or atleast minstrels that play such awesome music that they can kill you with it and lead friends into a heroic killing frenzy

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
I don't think it's a job, and the warlock from World of Warcraft is almost that, just demons instead of skeletons and such.

And also Diablo had it, so Diablo III surely (I hope) will.

cosaides

Sep 5, 2008
Necromancers are a full-on class in Everquest II. So are bards (though they are split up between the dirge and troubadour subclasses).

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Fraught said:
I don't think it's a job, and the warlock from World of Warcraft is almost that, just demons instead of skeletons and such.

Diablo III has been confirmed to not contain any characters from Diablo II, with the exception of the Barbarian.
EDIT: Classes, not characters. Deckard Cain makes a return.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Graustein said:
Fraught said:

Diablo III has been confirmed to not contain any characters from Diablo II, with the exception of the Barbarian.
DAMNIT!

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Fraught said:
Graustein said:
Fraught said:

DAMNIT!
On the other hand, the Witch Doctor has a Wall of Zombies spell.
You look me straight in the eye and tell me that's not awesome.

...Sorry for derailing the thread.

Yonni-Kun

Jun 15, 2008
Maybe it's because necromancers are often portrayed as evil characters in games? And since you, in for example many MMO, are supposed a "hero", it wouldn't make much sense letting you play a class that's thought to be "evil".

Just a thought.

Tyran107

Nov 14, 2008
In City of Villains you can kinda be a necromancer if you make a mastermind and have him/her go into the undead tree of minions.

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
Fraught said:

Don't forget the Death Knight from WoW.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
You can do this in Diablo and in Guild Wars. Oh, how I love minion masters.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
EverQuest had Necromancers and Shadow Knights, so at the time WoW was developed there probably was no real pressing need to introduce this tired old class. Instead, they repurposed the idea of pet classes into the Hunters and Warlocks, going in a different direction.

In terms of an RPG that gives you a horde to command, a few have tried going that far. There's the Masterminds in City of Villains and the Necromancers in Age of Conan, for example. Perhaps the game that did the idea of rampaging through the countryside with a horde under your control was Overlord, but that was not an online game.