The Modern Warfare Remaster Won't be a Standalone Release

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
The Modern Warfare Remaster Won't be a Standalone Release

Are you interested in playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare in its remastered state? Then you'd better be prepared to buy Infinite Warfare.

Infinity Ward and Activision officially announced the newest installment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167317-Call-of-Duty-Infinite-Warfare-Announced-with-New-Trailer] in the Call of Duty franchise, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, today, after weeks of leaks and speculation. The game has a release date of November 4.

Equally as interesting as the official reveal of Infinite Warfare, however, is some news about the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare remaster: according to the FAQ [https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Remastered-FAQ] you can only get it if you buy either the Legacy, Digital Deluxe, or Legacy Pro edition of Infinite Warfare, priced at $79.99/$99.99/$119.99.

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered is a full game digital download that will be included in the Legacy, Legacy Pro, and Digital Deluxe editions of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare."

"You must own Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare in order to get Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered."

[gallery=6204]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
What a fantastic idea. It basically means that people that are only interested in the remaster would have to pay $80 to get it. Nice one Activision.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Genious! They knew people didn't want a new CoD, so they bundled it with what the people actually wanted. It's simply ingenious.

A sad day for the consumers though.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
That is a load of bollocks, to be honest. CoD4 is one of last generation's most cherished and memorable shooters, and to hold it hostage like this is just... scummy. Makes me wonder, though, if it is going to last all that long, like Black Ops' pre-order "exclusive" Nuke Town maps that they have done like, a kajillion times. Pre-order to get it, or just wait a month or two.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
A shame, I'd have been willing to pay 40 maybe even 60 for this remaster on it's own, but I have no desire to pay 80 for a game I don't want just to get a game I do

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Do people actually care about a remastered version of Modern Warfare? I liked the game well enough, but with it's own sequels and the other yearly COD releases, we basically get a remastered version annually as it is.

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
Meh, the original still plays fine. I already avoid ever supporting activision and their BS, remastering old favorites won't fix that.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
And just like that, they lost me.

I had a feeling that this would happen, but I was optimistic that I would be able to get it on its own. I guess not.

Jadak said:
Do people actually care about a remastered version of Modern Warfare? I liked the game well enough, but with it's own sequels and the other yearly COD releases, we basically get a remastered version annually as it is.
Call of Duty now compared with Modern Warfare is hardly a comparison at all. They're both first-person shooters, but the game has fundamentally changed from the Modern Warfare era, especially considering the shift to more futuristic games. Different guns, different leveling system, different perks, different loadout options. The game also feels much faster, with a lot more mobility than the previous games.

Personally, I'd love to go back and play MW multiplayer again, just with a new coat of paint and without getting my ass kicked by a hacker every other match.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I don't actually believe this.

Activision likes money too much to keep this as effectively a pre-order bonus/DLC. If they turn out to be as good as their word then I would expect it to be a cheap hack job, since again Activision likes money too much to spend a proper development budget on something they won't sell.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Just you wait. It'll be a timed exclusive, mark my words. A few months to half a year after the CoD release they'll release it as a separate release and everything will be fine and dandy. They might even throw us a bone by telling that they 'listened to popular demand' and that 'their ear rests firmly in the community' or some similar bullshit platitude.
MC1980 said:
Business wise? Makes sense. As a consumer? Go fuck yourself.
I'm not so sure. I think they could make mad dough from a separate release. Hell I might even buy it myself. But now? Not a chance.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
If your internet situation can't handle (or can barely handle) game downloads, you aren't getting the game easily. Since it's download only, there is nothing really holding them back from offering it in the digital distribution stores for $40-60. Now that's pretty low. They really want people hooked on Infinite Warfare's upcoming DLC (or microtransactions). The digital only scheme might even be an awkward attempt at discouraging used game sales.

That's fine for me, though. I don't see much of a reason to buy another game that I may not want just to play[footnote]Can't really do that anyway with the current PC and consoles I have.[/footnote] a prettier version of a game I've owned for years.

Although if the backlash becomes loud enough or Activision feels they've sold enough IW copies on the back of a proven game, I'll bet MWR will be offered for sale separately. This might be a time for everyone who doesn't care about the new CoD to just wait.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
I don't actually believe this.

Activision likes money too much to keep this as effectively a pre-order bonus/DLC. If they turn out to be as good as their word then I would expect it to be a cheap hack job, since again Activision likes money too much to spend a proper development budget on something they won't sell.
I figure that's the case. There is no way Activision spent time and money on a good remaster just to do as a pre-order bonus. They will sell it individually eventually. Hell they'd do it even for a bad remaster!

That said if they do later release it separately there may be a strong case for false advertising.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
MC1980 said:
Yeah, fair enough, I didn't think of that. It could probably indeed split up the player base very easily, possibly even overshadow Infinite.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Eh, they'll release it. The updates of the WaW maps in the Awesome Edition of "Black Ops" were eventually released as separate DLC. "Nuketown 2025" AND "Nuk3town", both originally pre-order bonuses, were added to their respective games later on. Activision wouldn't be stupid enough to limit their userbase (and potential cash) like this.

They just probably won't announce it until right at launch so it's too late for the pre-orderers to cancel their mega edition pre-orders.

Sep 14, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Just you wait. It'll be a timed exclusive, mark my words. A few months to half a year after the CoD release they'll release it as a separate release and everything will be fine and dandy. They might even throw us a bone by telling that they 'listened to popular demand' and that 'their ear rests firmly in the community' or some similar bullshit platitude.
MC1980 said:
Business wise? Makes sense. As a consumer? Go fuck yourself.
I'm not so sure. I think they could make mad dough from a separate release. Hell I might even buy it myself. But now? Not a chance.
while I agree with you, the greedy fucks will no doubt price it ~40 bucks by itself when they do that, they are horrific about putting the games on any sort of decent sale, so I can't imagine the starting price will be lower then that if they release it separately.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
They say that now but come March 2017 you'll be able to find it digitally on its own. Hell, we could be looking at a remastered Modern Warfare trilogy by or before Holiday 2017. In the meantime I still don't have the new consoles so I guess if I get the urge to play Modern Warfare again it'll be on my 360.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I will buy it when it inevitably gets released on it's own. I have zero interest in this Infinite Warfare.