The most disturbing fan fiction you have ever read.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
szaleniec1000 said:
That's bullshit. You might as well say that "bad" is a pointless label because what one person considers bad another might not.
"bad" is not a terms applied to one gender in a sexist way. And yes, bad is quite useless criticism, if you asked for advice on how to write better chracters you are simply told "don't make them so bad" that is useless. It's also impossible to discuss.

The reality is the Mary Sue label is essentially used for ANY female character who pretty much follows the campbell type monomyth. The monomyth reserved for MALE protagonists.
I've seen far more Sues who don't follow the monomyth than do, and plenty of female protagonists who aren't Sues by anyone's definition, so I don't know where that came from. It's the only remotely original part of your argument, too - you did see the date stamp on that journal entry, right?
Look at TVTropes compendium of characteristics of Mary Sue. I said here (the bit in the spoiler box) what a double standard the Mary Sue definitions are.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.328717.13405992

It's nothing but a slur of no real critical value. Don't use it.
Thanks for, if anything, making me *less* hesitant to use it. :)
Soooo, are you confessing to being a troll?

If it is only insulting and has no value of discussion then that is trolling. I can deal with trolls, but ignorant people...

Treblaine said:
Has that Vampire from Twilight ever been called a Marty Sue? Nope.
Except perhaps here [http://brooketaylorbooks.blogspot.com/2009/01/is-edward-gary-stu.html], which was only the first of 35,200 Google hits for "Edward Cullen Gary Stu" without quotes. :)
And the number of hits for "Bella Swan Mary Sue": 276,000 results

So only about 8x as prevalent... if we are following your standard that number of Google results is a measure of anything.
Nice goalpost shifting there. You said that nobody had called Edward a Gary Stu. I linked to an article calling Edward a Gary Stu. You were wrong.
Nice cutting off my response where I DID REMIND YOU that I said:

"I DID say that Mary Sue was far more used than Gary Stu/etc and even your particular example is just an over-flow from a Mary Sue "litmus test". This is hardly the most damning critique and already authors ARE avoiding writing female characters to avoid the Mary Sue label and have no fear of the obscure "Gary Stu" label nor their derivatives. Also you get 12 million hits just for searching for "Edward Cullen" so I think we may be getting some cross over."

I didn't mean no one EVER IN THE ENTIRE WORLD had ever called Edward Cullen a Marty-Sue/etc, just that there was no significant talk of it.

You can find a few blogspots on ANYTHING. But Mary Sue hate is clearly FAR more prevalent.

Frankly I find the existence of "Gary-Stu" as slur to excuse "Mary Sue" about as relevant as the term "Honkey" or "Cracker" to excuse other racial epithets. But I don't want to go down the path of discussing racial epithets.

My point is that the Mary Sue label is over-used and abused, while token flippant comments like "is Edward Cullen a Gary Stu?" pretty irrelevant to the pressures of self-censorship that the Mary Sue label puts on writers to make female protagonists dull and irrelevant.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
I havent read any, but I watched some Touhou fanfic that was pretty disturbing.
The series is called Koishi Komeiji's Heart-Throbbing Adventure, its pretty disturbing, but cool.

smurf_you

Jun 1, 2010
Scorched_Cascade said:
Supernatural meta referenced Wincest in several of their episodes. A curious google search made me realise that curiousity did indeed kill the cat.
>.> I have no idea what you're talking about >.> I never read that stuff ever...... <.<

OT: I read a Harry Potter one once, and it was... odd... I have no better word for it, just odd, not cause of the pairing but because of how out of character they were o_O

szaleniec1000

Nov 11, 2008
Treblaine said:
szaleniec1000 said:
That's bullshit. You might as well say that "bad" is a pointless label because what one person considers bad another might not.
"bad" is not a terms applied to one gender in a sexist way. And yes, bad is quite useless criticism, if you asked for advice on how to write better chracters you are simply told "don't make them so bad" that is useless. It's also impossible to discuss.
Which is why you don't just say "this is bad", you say "this is bad because..." or indeed "this character is a Sue because..."

The reality is the Mary Sue label is essentially used for ANY female character who pretty much follows the campbell type monomyth. The monomyth reserved for MALE protagonists.
I've seen far more Sues who don't follow the monomyth than do, and plenty of female protagonists who aren't Sues by anyone's definition, so I don't know where that came from. It's the only remotely original part of your argument, too - you did see the date stamp on that journal entry, right?
Look at TVTropes compendium of characteristics of Mary Sue. I said here (the bit in the spoiler box) what a double standard the Mary Sue definitions are.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.328717.13405992
I read it. That's how I came to be taking issue with your claim that nobody had called Edward a Stu. I also disagree with every last thing you said, and as I said you bring nothing new to this old argument.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Hope Is Lost [http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Hope_Is_Lost]

I know it's not as disturbing as "Cupcakes" (haven't read), or "My Immortal" (haven't read), or the Cartoons of One Mr. Spazkid (Sadly, I have watched at least one...), but it's still pretty disturbing. Based on a Spongebob Creepypasta, it's basically a new guy at Nick who is basically forced to watch it.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
For the Super Smash Bros. fandom, based mostly on Melee, I present to you: "La Belle." The Smashers are invited to a mansion in the country for a tournament. Then the murders begin. And every single death is described in graphic detail. Buried alive, drowned/electrocuted, nailed to a wall, head cut off on live broadcast...Pretty good story, but definitely not for the young or faint-hearted.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Treblaine said:
(el SNIP-o Grande)
OK, I get the impression that you're taking this Mary Sue - business a bit more seriously than you probably should. Just to let you know, I am going to drop the subject now. I'm sure you will agree that we haven't really been contributing to the actual thread anyway.

Please feel free to claim victory, if you wish.

TokenRupee

Oct 2, 2010
Fawxy said:
canadamus_prime said:
"My Immortal" Thankfully I haven't actually read that piece of shit myself, but the sample I got from Encyclopedia Dramatica was disturbing enough.
This. I've never been offended by the actual content of fanfiction, including My Immortal. But to think there MIGHT be somebody out there who ACTUALLY thinks what they're writing is cool enough to warrant 40+ fucking chapters, not to mention the horrific rape of grammar (and characters) that occurs is disgusting in and of itself.

GOFFICK. Seriously? Ugh.

OP: I wrote fanfiction for Invader Zim when I was 12, and was heavily criticized by the fiction community I posted in for trying to remain as faithful to the show as possible. So, trying to please them, I actually read a few examples of what they considered "good".

Fucking hell. Apparently drama-queen, angsty Mary Sues are the only type of characters fanfiction readers can tolerate. I haven't dealt with that load of horseshit since then.
Don't let that color the entire community of fanfiction as bad. There are some nice communities here and there that actually appreciate staying true to the source material while criticizing the drama-queen Mary Sues and complete rape of the characters.

OT: I thought of My Immortal at first. Yet despite how horribly written it was, Cupcakes disturbed me even more. I was just getting into watching the show and reading that completely messed with my view of Pinkie Pie for the rest of Season 1. Every laugh turned into a cacophony of murderous insanity.

szaleniec1000

Nov 11, 2008
busterkeatonrules said:
Treblaine said:
(el SNIP-o Grande)
OK, I get the impression that you're taking this Mary Sue - business a bit more seriously than you probably should. Just to let you know, I am going to drop the subject now. I'm sure you will agree that we haven't really been contributing to the actual thread anyway.

Please feel free to claim victory, if you wish.
Likewise. Apologies to everyone else for my part in this tangent.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Cupcakes, but since everyone has already said that...

Disturbing? I read an Alien and Predators ones I wish not to speak of xD

Wilderstorm

Dec 4, 2011
My Immortal is the obvious pick...but I'd also like to submit My Inner Life, Light and Dark: The Adventures of Dark Yagami (I think that's the name), Naruto Veangance Revelaitons, and this atrocity: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6492218/1/Come_On_Closer

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I read a really weird one where Goku goes to the 40's and falls in love with Anne Frank. Oh, and Hitler's a super saiyan. I'm not making this up.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Most fan-fic has me in absolute tears of laughter before I get anywhere near the most disturbing stuff.

I think I really did cry of laughter when I started reading My Immortal.

szaleniec1000

Nov 11, 2008
Hazy992 said:
I read a really weird one where Goku goes to the 40's and falls in love with Anne Frank. Oh, and Hitler's a super saiyan. I'm not making this up.
It's called "Until the End of Time". There's a reading here [http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/fanfic-theatre/5040-masterpiece-fanfic-theatre-episode-2]. It really has to be seen to be believed.

asylumsweetie

May 20, 2011
Probably 30 H's (shortened from HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, which I assume is pronounced by kicking a viking in the nuts) that psychotic Harry Potter fanfic, but it was awesome enough to make up for being disturbing. Groin saws, man. They need to happen.

Other than that, I read this really fucked up Homestuck fanfic once where Eridan murders Aradia, cuts off her fins, sews them on to a drugged and beaten Sollux, then rapes him pretty much forever.

Brownie101

Feb 10, 2009
To date? Sweet Apple Massacre. It wasn't at all engaging, the spelling and paragraphing could definitly have been better and the content was downright nuts.
How is it tagged? With words like; rape, murder, necrophilia, foal, Big Mac, Cutie Mark Crusaders...The list goes on.
It was worse than Cupcakes because of the simple thing that the whole story was written to be as gory as possible. Cupcakes had some "realsim" in relation to the show's canon and was more engagingly written, but SAM just had plain worse content.

However, from what my friend has told me, this is going to be knocked off the #1 most disturbing fic I've read when I get around to reading Rarity's Generous Plan. Here's to insanity!

trollogic

Dec 4, 2011
ITS MY LIFE(sic) by MarissaTheWriter. I guess it's obvious that this is a troll fic, but my brain still melts when I read it. Not even My Immortal is that bad.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Father Time said:
It was a piece of Twisted Metal fanfiction.

One was about a serial killer who lured people to a cave down by the beach, beat them to death with rocks, and skinned them alive. He did it as sacrifices to the sea.

idk why, but that makes me think of HP lovecraft.