The most disturbing thing you've seen in gaming.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, seeing how C&C 4 was utterly butchered was probably the most disturbing thing I've seen in gaming so far. Realizing that certainly took its toll.

Creator002 said:
Although if you've sought that one out to see in the first place, then you'll most certainly be prepared for what's coming - and can hardly blame anyone but yourself for having seen it - given how patently and immediately obvious it is from the title what it's all about.

Jun 23, 2008
I should point out two of the best zombie moments ever. One, in Thief: The Dark Project, dead bodies will moan at you. If you back off, that's your one and only warning. In Left4Dead, you try walking by that dead body (anywhere) and it starts moving. L4D infected, even though they're technically alive, can be very, very still.

Speaking of Thief: The Dark Project, the haunts are pretty scary, seconded only by the Servants in Thief 2: The Metal Age. And the servants are non-combatants.

An especially creepy experience came in Jedi Outcast and I had been disarming opponents all the way through Bespin. Finally, the pathway just ended, and with time, I figured out what happened. A Reborn was supposed to attack me, but he's activated by all the previous opponents being dead. The devs at Raven hadn't considered that some of us might be Jedi-like and actually spare the myriad of goons we had encountered. So I had to go back and take a walk on the Dark Side hewing down unarmed foes as the Reaper himself.

In Requiem: Avenging Angel [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiem:_Avenging_Angel], when you kill some human combatants, they don't die immediately, and they'll wail and sob like... well like a guy who's down and bleeding out unless you put them out of their misery. The ESRB has since pressured developers to actually tone down the humanity of enemies, especially as they respond to pain and injury. According to them, a person lying there screaming because you blew their leg off might be disturbing to some players. Seriously, it has made the difference between AO and M for more recent games.[footnote]This would actually make for an excellent deterrant of friendly fire on civilians, or any other inappropriate targets, if they collapsed and started screaming from their injuries the way that real people, including soldiers do when injured and dying on the battlefield.[/footnote]

238U.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Many moments in Silent Hill 2 disturbed me, also the broodmother from Dragon Age Origins and a quest in Dragon Age 2

the one where you have to try and save your mother, but her body and bits from the bodies of two other women have all been stitched together. That part just really disturbed me.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
EHKOS said:
TriggerHappyAngel said:
The final scene from Condemned: Criminal Origins ... yeah, the one with the mirror.
And then it turns out to be noncannon due to a sequal they never thought they'd make and shouldn't have been made.
Oh god... that sequel >.>

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
The start of one of the splinter cell games where they are torturing the guy with the car battery. I can't recall which one it is now. 3rd one? I made sure every one of those feckers died.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
If you played I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, then you know what I mean. Seriously just take like any scene from that game, it's just one huge disturbing event.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Admiral Crunch said:
The part in Silent Hill 2 when you see Pyramid Head raping two manniquins.

Maybe I was just suprised by it, but it made me fucking sick.
You read my mind, bud. Totally f@#ky!

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
A scene that disturbed me the most was the Eyepoker from Dead Space 2.... If oyou played it you know what I mean. I don't know why, but I jsut cant stand seeing stuff like that... Eye surgery... no thanks

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
fable II and III, these two games are disturbing (but probably not how you ment it!)

otherwise...

Creator002 said:
RapeLay.

Just RapeLay. Urgh. If you know about it, you know what it is.
I know, it's just so...WTF!?!

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
There were many moments in the Dead Space games where I would go "oh god what the fuck!?!"

The one that ssticks in my mind though for some reason is:

Where that black guy (I forget his name) gets ripped apart by that Brute near the middle of the game.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
The Ashford twins torturing insects and staring incestuously into each others eyes in Code Veronica was pretty creepy. Or maybe the babies and children in dead space 2, especially when played against the background of the pretty colors of the nursery.

Gazisultima

May 25, 2009
In the Resident Evil remake, there's the opening FMV where one of the S.T.A.R.s members gets eaten by zombie dogs. That's just nasty XD

Also, most of Bioshock. Nuff' said.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
The best thing I can think of is the entire first area of the Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls. That entire level is just plain creepy, what with the creepy tentacle monster thingies, and the prisoners trapped in the jars. How the hell did they get them in those jars? Did they make the jars around them?

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
If I get to count it, then I'm going to say Saya no Uta. Pretty much every second of that story is terrifying in a horribly insidious and disturbing way.

And Rapelay? Really? I'd think everyone would be over that by now. It's like one of the most generic rape fantasies ever, and it doesn't actually depict anything that's really "out there".

BoTTeNBReKeR

Oct 23, 2008
Phishfood said:
The start of one of the splinter cell games where they are torturing the guy with the car battery. I can't recall which one it is now. 3rd one? I made sure every one of those feckers died.
Yeah, the first level of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory where they torture a guy to death by frying him with a car battery. I also broke those guys their backs, the only non-required kills I made in that game.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Irriduccibilli said:
A scene that disturbed me the most was the Eyepoker from Dead Space 2.... If oyou played it you know what I mean. I don't know why, but I jsut cant stand seeing stuff like that... Eye surgery... no thanks
this
what is weird is that i found the sequence for succeeding way more disturbing than having half you head ripped of.

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
I've got to say the Pyramid head rape(surprise sex) scene in SH2 I know it's what everyone is using, but if you also count the symbolism behind it of James being a somewhat sexual deviant and Pyramid Head representing his true self... It made me feel kind of dirty inside. Like a Todd Solondz movie... you just kind of want to take a scalding hot shower to wash away what you just experienced, but it doesn't go away. It is forever locked deep down in your soul.

On a lighter note... any scene with Kuja in Final Fantasy IX. It was like someone took Sephiroth subtracted everything that made him a bad ass, then castrated him, then turned him into a drag queen.