The most disturbing thing you've seen in gaming.

LordGarbageMan

Jul 24, 2009
Couple of fucked up Oblivion dungeons, I remember one with a bunch of dead bodies that were human experiments or some shit. Never really saw that before, so it disturbed me. Also in Gears 1, when some nameless dude gets destroyed by a berserker behind a corner, so you just see the blood and his shadow. Again, mostly because I never saw that kinda shit before.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Pyschonauts. Yes Psychonauts. I was like...12 or 11. And the G-mans were just...just...yeah. Hell, everything in that game was weird and strange. I was afraid of the whole 2nd half because the campgrounds were dark and a cougar could appear out of nowhere and light you on fire, right before a telekinetic bear grabs you and mauls you to death.

That and Gloria Von Guten's hair. That's stuff's not natural, man.

Gypsy Ninja Pirate Zombie King

What the hell am i!???
Oct 25, 2010
omegawyrm said:
If I get to count it, then I'm going to say Saya no Uta. Pretty much every second of that story is terrifying in a horribly insidious and disturbing way
oh. my. god. i just looked it up on Wikipedia. and shit man he eats his friend. fuck! that's really fucked up.

TheBlitz

Jun 6, 2011
Probably the opening scene of Homefront. That kids mother getting shot in front of him is just... chilling.

mcattack92

Feb 2, 2011
Pissing on a burnt corpse of a pedestrian while hitting it down hill with a shovel in Postal 2

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Hm quite a lot of things now that I think about it so here is the most recent:

Ever heard what louis from left 4 dead does when he is the last alive? I couldn't find a clip of it but he starts humming to himself like his mind just snapped. Coming from the guy who is normally the most positive guy in the group thats pretty messed up.

I only ever heard it once and normally when there is only 1 survivor left all I can think is "almost got em! pounce him asap!" But when I heard that I genuinly started thinking "I know it's just a game but do I want to torment this guy any further? We are already miles ahead in points anyway." And I let him be.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
The Dunwich Building in Fallout 3, granted not the worst; but I can't be stuffed thinking too much at the moment.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
I cant remember the name of it, I was only 6, but I remember there was a game demo where you walked through some kind of scientific facility, everything ok, just looks like an office, but then, something goes wrong and a terrifying monster throws a scientist out of a window and charges at you, that scared the shit out of me. I think its possibly the half-life demo, as I remember the zombie monster things looking like the ones in HL2.

Needless to say, it fucked me up

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
The bit in Condemned: Bloodshot where you enter that room, look around for a bit and then round and a row of mannequins has appeared out of no-where, just standing in a line looking at you, and if you move further through the room, every time you look back their in a different spot or slightly closer. Jesus, I was so freaked out I sat in the room's corner aiming at them for 30 real life minutes.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Gypsy ninja pirate zombie king said:
omegawyrm said:
If I get to count it, then I'm going to say Saya no Uta. Pretty much every second of that story is terrifying in a horribly insidious and disturbing way
oh. my. god. i just looked it up on Wikipedia. and shit man he eats his friend. fuck! that's really fucked up.
Yep, what really puts this one over the edge is that the narrator character perceives the world in a weird sort of "reversed" way. Normal things are horrible flesh abominations that ooze blood and reek of decay, and fucked up things appear normal. So when he eats his friend, the narrator describes it as a delicious assortment of fruit snacks, but you, the reader, already know what is happening from another viewpoint, so your mind gets to fill in all the gory details. It's hard to describe just how unsettling some of the stuff in that story is. However, I do really like it because it also manages to be intensely emotionally compelling and have strong, well presented central themes which I think most horror stories sadly fail at having.

dontlooknow

Mar 6, 2008
Not particularly violent or gruesome or anything like that, but that bit in Hitman: Contracts in the hotel, with the ghost in the mirror. I think it was the contrast of having something so ghoul-ey in what was otherwise quite a 'realistic' game, but its appearance also seemed so conducive with the tone of the whole thing just caught me off guard and sent shivers down my spine.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Hardly the most disturbing or depraved thing going on in Saya.

Probably is the game - if a VN with a total of two choices can be considered as such - with the most relentlessly dark, depressing, and depraved themes while still maintaining serious artistic and literary merit to it. It's an absolutely fantastic lovecraftian style horror piece, but many adults will not want to - or even be able to - stomach it.

Though I'd still maintain that the abomination which ended an otherwise venerable series that was C&C 4 is a even more disturbing gaming moment.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
i'd have to go with the wall titties from duke nukem forever. or more specifically slapping them. i mean really?

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Giygas.

Especially with its backstory, and how most of us experienced him as a child.

EDIT: I just remembered. Following a radio signal in Fallout 3 with a man whose daughter is dying of radiation poisoning. Upon finding the source, I found two skeletons. One with it's head on the other's lap.

God, I love that game.

Gypsy Ninja Pirate Zombie King

What the hell am i!???
Oct 25, 2010
Imperator_DK said:
Hardly the most disturbing or depraved thing going on in Saya
maybe not. but eating an anime girl is just horrific. i won't be playing this game.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
It's not the most disturbing, but It's the one that pops to mind;
http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/video_game_clowns_6.jpg
It's more disturbing the first time you play it and it's his death thats gonna shit you up the most
He falls on his chainsaws and dies laughing like a maniac

But Dead Rising 1 and 2 can be hilarious and disturbing in equal measure.

Also, an honourable mention goes ou to the Haf Life Poison Zombie,
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1D2Gh-FVZbE/TGRsEYkyQTI/AAAAAAAAAGc/dPGG4K9lrtY/s1600/Poison_zombie.jpg

and Fast Zombie;
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090527180416/half-life/en/images/0/00/Fast_zombie.jpg

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
Tuesday Night Fever said:
That part in Condemned: Criminal Origins with the abandoned shopping center and the mannequins that multiply in number and seem to slowly stalk you. The atmosphere and sounds just made it that much more freakin' creepy. /shiver

Edit:

/NINJA'D