The most disturbing thing you've seen in gaming.

Mr Baj

Jun 14, 2011
for me its quite early on in the first resident evil game, you turn a corner to find a zombie munching on some fallen dudes coin purse, then there is that really trippy cut scene when the zombie turns to look at you. I was 11 and have been afraid of homo-erotic-necrophilic-cannibalism ever since

Raognerrrm

Apr 2, 2011
Pretty much all of Bioshock.
Probably the fact that he just keeps needing to GM himself while seeing the remnants of people who did the same is the thing that got to me the most.

Cerebral Force

Jun 8, 2011
The Blue screen of Death that came up in a horror game from the 90's. Horror in a game itself is scary as hell, but faking having a catastrophic system failure, and having to replace your console in order to continue, to only return to the action after a moment or two is just sick.

If the game had not caused me to shit myself, that would've. LOL!

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I'd mention Rapelay or any number of other games that depict and eroticize violence against women but I think that's been said enough by me at this point, so instead here's this scene from Dead Space 2:

"Come to Mumma!"

*Anyone who's played the game knows what I'm talking about.

Skybluedemon

Mar 3, 2011
The boss at the end of the lust level in Dante's Inferno...Toungues coming from her nipples as well as creepy baby monsters.

Wait forget that, the giant babies in Drakengard were so much worse...What is it with creepy babies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNENqC38AWY

Lilitu

Feb 22, 2011
Cerebral Force said:
The Blue screen of Death that came up in a horror game from the 90's. Horror in a game itself is scary as hell, but faking having a catastrophic system failure, and having to replace your console in order to continue, to only return to the action after a moment or two is just sick.

If the game had not caused me to shit myself, that would've. LOL!
Reminds me of "Eternal Darkness - Sanity's Requiem" for Gamecube.
That game has a lot of sanity-effects. The Blue screen of Death was one of it. Others were: Sudden black screen like during a power out; being unable to move while a group of monsters try to eat you; while trying to save the game erases your save data; the protagonists limbs start to fall off until you die; ...

Very funny. I always loved these sanity effects and never healed my sanity to enjoy those. Well the first time I played "Eternal Darkness" it was quite scary but I learned to love it :)

OT: I usually don't play disturbing games since most of them are shooters or involve shooting. Somehow I prefer the good old sword/knife/etc. That's just more personal ;)
"Galerians" (PSOne) scared me quite a bit but I was young and easily impressed and that kid was taking drugs all the time (pills or shooting them with a big syringe into his neck) and he got really head blowing while on deprivation (literally the other people's heads...well they didn't explode but they died). And the other kids (antagonists) where quite evil, too.

Persona 3 didn't impress me much after that ;D
(and I played it many years later)

"Baroque" (Wii) also had it's nasty moments (something about the NPCs) but I haven't finished that game yet and it wasn't disturbing to me either.

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
Silent Hill 2. Just, the entire game. If I had to say a specific part though, Pyramid Head's first appearnce.

thetruefallen

Mar 12, 2008
There was a cut scene in "Project Zero" ("Fatal Frame") i played on the original Xbox that had a girl tied to a post or something and a guy in a mask sticking a mask on her face with big spikes facing inwards through the eyes. It was a deeply disturbing experience watching a blinded girl cry on the floor, it was a tremendous piece of voice acting if i recall. I wonder if it still holds up.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
The opening of the cult PS2 Classic, Haunting Grounds.

*shutters* dear god...I can't get that image out of my mind @_@

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Vrex360 said:
I'd mention Rapelay or any number of other games that depict and eroticize violence against women but I think that's been said enough by me at this point, so instead here's this scene from Dead Space 2:

"Come to Mumma!"

*Anyone who's played the game knows what I'm talking about.
*shutters* don't remind me.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
The Doll boss in Condemned 2 really bothered me as well as the Regenerators in Resident Evil 4. There is another game that I remember bothered me even more than those two combined but for some reason I can't remember it. Maybe I'm better off not?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
In no particular order:

- The short and brutal adventure of Mr Pinkie Finger in Heavy Rain.
- The eyeball machine in Dead Space 2.
- Some of the fatalities in the new Mortal Kombat. I just don't see how I'm supposed to enjoy sadistic gore purely for its own sake.
- The death of Andrew Ryan in Bioshock.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
werefish5 said:
Just play this. It shouldn't take long.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/austinbreed/covetous
That was AWESOME. Thanks for sharing.

I think there's a difference between the most disturbing thing I've ever seen in a game, and the scariest thing I've ever seen in a game (which is the answer most people seem to be giving).

The most scared I've ever been in a game was the very first encounter with a hostile ghost in Fatal Frame 2. I was screaming like a small child the entire time.

The most disturbing thing? I'd have to say that one part from Condemned: Criminal Origins. School locker + dead man with his eyelids cut off + Camera + Camera's zoom function + superb timing = Me furiously shitting myself on the couch.

Seriously.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009

The Flesh Mage from Drakan: The Ancients' Gates. Basically, he tricks women into becoming his bride and skins them then uses their skin as a cloak. His 'Bridal Hall' has a pool of blood with masks that he gets the brides to wear. Eeriest moment in gaming I had on my PS2.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Tuesday Night Fever said:
That part in Condemned: Criminal Origins with the abandoned shopping center and the mannequins that multiply in number and seem to slowly stalk you. The atmosphere and sounds just made it that much more freakin' creepy. /shiver

Edit:

That whole game was one of the freakier ones I played. The Apple House or whatever level was tough to play. I had to spend like 5-10 minutes preparing myself before entering the basement. :(

I don't think I've ever been "disturbed" as in offended by games before. I'm hard to bother, but Condemned and the hotel in Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines made me put down the game for a bit in pants wetting horror.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
That scene in Red Dead Redemption.
You know the one.
It was so subtle I didn't know what I was looking at for a second.

benylor

May 30, 2009
There's a flash game called One Chance. It's one of those games which saves your progress permanently - you can only ever play it once. This game triggered an existential crisis and brought my depression on for around a week. I still get very bad vibes from contemplating it.

I'm not exaggerating, I wish I'd never played it now. I'll link it, as it's what the topic is demanding, but it's up to you to decide whether to play it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/555181