The Most Immoral Thing You've Done in a Video Game

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
I don't know if you could actually call this immoral (probably just amoral, now that I think about it), but whatever.

The most immoral thing I ever decided to do in a game was to decide to play Prototype all the way through, because Alex Mercer is just about the most horrible video game character in existence. You really don't have any option but to murder and eat people for health, your actions inevitably wind up costing millions of innocent people their lives, and you'll have to kill just about every single marine in the entire US armed forces by the end of the game, not to mention the billions in property damage.

Of course, it's probably better to call Alex Mercer amoral rather than immoral because
about 3/4 of the way through the game Alex Mercer realizes that he's not really human anymore, but is, and has been since the game began, a sentient virus taking human form. Calling Alex Mercer's actions immoral loses some of its edge when you realize that the loss his humanity has removed any reason Alex would have had to be moral. Of course, it turns out Alex was the one who unleashed the virus on Manhattan in the first place, trying to save his own skin no less, so he was a bastard even before the game started.

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
While I've done some pretty terrible things in games (leading countless people to their deaths in fable II to get a weapon I never used, allowing a city of slaves to starve under their harsh ruler in Fallout 3, fueling someone's paranoia and murdering innocent civilians for a handful of gold in Oblivion), one decision I made in a flash game called Telepath RPG Chapter 2 haunted me for a few day after I made it. You start the game as the slave of a powerful general. While it was obvious that what the general and his people were doing was bad, I began to relish the power I gained by leading his armies into battle. I was a slave, but I loved the position, loved the gold, loved watching my enemies vanish under a storm of fire. At one point I recruited the son of an opposing general. You later fight this general while being witnessed by a politically powerful member of your side. After defeating him, you're given the option to kill him. His son begs you not to and stands in your way. I wanted to maintain my power and position of respect with 'my people', so I killed them both. I got the gold and continued my campaign, but I kept thinking back to that moment.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
I always play as a "good" character so it's not often I do something immoral, but I always go out of my way to knock over the minstrels in Assassin's Creed. Every minstrel that runs up to me in every game gets a face full of dirt/road. On occasion I kill them if they persist after being knocked over.

KapnKerfuffle

May 17, 2008
I once drove my competitor's stock price down in Railroad Tycoon 2 by blocking lucrative routes and then bought out his railroad for pennies on the dollar. White-collar deviancy! Muhahahaha!

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Blowing up Megaton.

AAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDD

Running over/shooting/blowing up citizens in GTA.

Kedos

Mar 21, 2011
henritje said:
Kedos said:
In Fallout3 I killed the sheriff's son for his house with a baseball bat.
how did you kill kids?
I thought they were un-killable.
Through a mod I installed. When I mod Fallout I always want to go for that believable harsh wasteland experience, and not being able to kill kids just doesn't make sense in that.

OneEyeX

Sep 6, 2005
I once trolled someone so hard with Sion in League of Legends he screamed about people like me being the reason he hits his wife and then rage-quit.

Yeah. I laughed heartily.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Every minute I ever played Black and White and it's successor, ever. You cannot resist slowly roasting a villager at some point. You can be as holy as you damn well want, you KNOW you cast that lightning miracle on your village just to see what would happen.

...If we're talking immoral in the sense that I actually hurt a real person in some capability? I guess I took an item on World of Warcraft when someone else could have used it more. Sue me. I'm sure they're over it. (if they were ever that pissed to begin with...they didn't say anything)

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Fbuh said:
The title is pretty much self explanatory. What is the most immoral thing you've done in a video game? For me, it would have to be leading a small girl out of Little Lamplight in Fallout 3 so that she could be sold to slavers.
Same, I thought wouldn't it be fun to sell people to the slavers but when I sold that kid I felt bad so I loaded up. Not going to do that again. Blowing up Megaton even with kids in it didn't make mee feel that bad.

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
I captured little animals and forced them to mutate into horrific beasts by invoking battles with other little animals all because I wanted glory and fame. Not to mention that I store these creatures inside tiny spheres whose purpose is to capture and store the beasts. I also force some of these beasts to breed, sometimes with their own parents, just so I can get to perfect fighting beast I can. Or how about the times when I would even enslaves the gods themselves. I truly am one evil person.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
In my evil play through in Fallout 3 I did every conceivable evil act that could be done; blowing up megaton, stealing, murdering, selling children to slavery, helping ghoul bigots by killing the ghouls, and just all around doing whatever I wanted to make people suffer and die :D just like in my evil play on inFamous where I did every possible evil action.

Also, harvesting the little sisters in the bioshock games; that is basically child murder so that's pretty immoral.

But usually I go for good.

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
while in a game of survival multiplayer in minecraft a group of guys (3 to 5) attacked my village and made off with some very basic loot. I then spent the next ingame week scouting for their base, collecting bones, and getting wolves. at sunset i stormed their base, they attacked me and were mauled by 12 wolves, mind you these guys had wooden swords and no armor where i had made a set of iron armor and an iron sword. then i stole everything and burned down their town except one house, and in that house i hid a bunch of TNT under the floor and put a pressurepad in the doorway.I didnt have many issues with them again

Codeman90

Apr 24, 2008
pretty sure I killed almost everyone on Karuava and the ones I didn't kill I fed their souls to the sadistic dark gods of Chaos. Winning the Dawn of War: Dark Crusade campaign as the "bad guys" will certainly do that.

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
i was playing fallout new vegas and i decided to play as though i were a serial killer. my basic rule of thumb was "if it had a pulse i would kille it, dismember it, and then decorate the area with their body parts"

i got 2 hours into the game before i was just creeping myself out and stopped playing

Foxblade618

Apr 27, 2011
ryanxm said:
while in a game of survival multiplayer in minecraft a group of guys (3 to 5) attacked my village and made off with some very basic loot. I then spent the next ingame week scouting for their base, collecting bones, and getting wolves. at sunset i stormed their base, they attacked me and were mauled by 12 wolves, mind you these guys had wooden swords and no armor where i had made a set of iron armor and an iron sword. then i stole everything and burned down their town except one house, and in that house i hid a bunch of TNT under the floor and put a pressurepad in the doorway.I didnt have many issues with them again
Artfully crafted revenge, I would argue, is not immoral. But I guess that makes me a crazy person. I say kudos to you for taking the griefers to school.

OT: I honestly play heroic characters all the time. I am trying to remember the details of a quest in Oblivion - the one with the head gladiator. Something about my memory makes me think I did something horribly immoral, but it's been 4 years since I have played that game, so if anyone could refresh me that would be great.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Fbuh said:
The title is pretty much self explanatory. What is the most immoral thing you've done in a video game? For me, it would have to be leading a small girl out of Little Lamplight in Fallout 3 so that she could be sold to slavers.
For me it would be killing children in Fallout 1+2 and Deus Ex