The most irredeemably evil bastard in any videogame

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
Just list and explain the one character that would make Lucifer himself go "Dude, what the hell!" I vote the lone wanderer from fallout 3 becuase he can

* Blow up a whole entire town with a nuclear warhead
* Blow up the HQ for the one hope for the Capital Wasteland, Brotherhood of Steel
* Fire a death ray at earth, vaporizing god knows what
* Sell children, escaped slaves, and pretty much almost anyone into slavery
* Brutally decapitate almost everyone for shits and giggles
* Poison the water supply with a virus, harming all ghouls and 90% of people in the wastes

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Heihachi Mishima.

He just doesn't care for anything positive. No compassion, no positive human emotion.

He chained his dad up to something akin to hell
he threw his son off a cliff when he was a boy
adopted a little Chinese kid off the street because he respected his will to survive, but only did it to cause rivalry with his blood son
threw his son in a volcano after he grew up
used and manipulated his grandson then, shot him
freed an ancient beast in order to take its DNA to regain his youth
was down for beating up the new son he get's as soon as he finds out about him

there's probably some more stuff he did canon, non canon he used school students for science experiments using the Devil Gene and ends up with only one surviving subject, he later snaps his back in half for shits and gigs.

so yeah, he's up there.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Probably Kefka. There's not even a real reason for him to do what he does beyond it just being fun. There really isn't even any easily pushed aside personal desire or belief.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
StriderShinryu said:
Probably Kefka. There's not even a real reason for his to do what he does beyond it just being fun. There really isn't even any easily pushed aside personal desire or belief.
He was the first who sprang to mind for me. I always think for someone to be really evil they have to genuinely enjoy the horrible things they do and Kefka definitely fits the bill. Not saying that people who do bad things for personal gain aren't evil, but it's not quite the same as enjoying inflicting pain on others.

There are probably people worse than Kefka but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm going with Handsome Jack. I just cannot wrap my head around his mindset. He is so stuck in his little fantasy world where he thinks that he's the hero that he murders innocent people for laughs, kills the children of people who work for him if they say something wrong, imprisons his own daughter for life and doesn't listen to her at all, and that's just to name a few things. And all this time, he truly believes that he is the good guy, even as he shoots an unarmed person in the face for no reason. I mean, most villains are at least aware that they are evil, or at least hated by the common people, but him? He is so far gone that I can't even fathom what happened to make him that way. How do you do all those things and still fully believe that you are the good guy?

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Nyarlathotep from Persona 2.

Nyra is the embodiment of all mankind's evil after all... so lets recap his shenanigans in P2:
Nyra killed the entire world except one city, killed the sanity of 4 teenagers, killed the loved one of a guy, he still wants to destroy everything (possibly to return in our soon to be Persona 5... oh shit...), and the guys in P3 and P4 aren't living in the real world... because Nyarlathotep killed the real one with the power of rumors! RUMORS!
Also he was an Adolf Hitler wielding the Lance of Longinus.

And he just yuks it up...

In a world where god does not exist... what an amazing villain... f**k him! :D

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Sniper Team 4 said:
I'm going with Handsome Jack. I just cannot wrap my head around his mindset. He is so stuck in his little fantasy world where he thinks that he's the hero that he murders innocent people for laughs, kills the children of people who work for him if they say something wrong, imprisons his own daughter for life and doesn't listen to her at all, and that's just to name a few things. And all this time, he truly believes that he is the good guy, even as he shoots an unarmed person in the face for no reason. I mean, most villains are at least aware that they are evil, or at least hated by the common people, but him? He is so far gone that I can't even fathom what happened to make him that way. How do you do all those things and still fully believe that you are the good guy?
Well, you are about to see why in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

I think it has to do with the fact that the people he tortures might actually BE bandits. Albeit bandits that might not be attacking him, but where you see a penal colony, he sees exactly what you are shooting through: Camp after camp of murderous psychotic bandits trying to murder you for shits, giggles, and loot. He just can't tell the difference. The daughter thing I believe has something to do with the possibility of Angel being the one to kill her mother, and the device being used to control her powers, while he uses her powers for his own ends. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of him killing children of his employees. Bandit kids, maybe, but kids of Hyperion employees?

OT: My answer to this question is not one based from love or hatred of this character, but of pure fact: M. Bison, specifically because to gain his power, he literally ripped out any good he had in his body and embraced the mad evil left in his soul. He is irredeemable because he literally has no good left in his entire body through his own machinations.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ryallen said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of him killing children of his employees. Bandit kids, maybe, but kids of Hyperion employees?
It's in one of the radio logs Mordecai asks you to find toward the end of the game. He murders a few Hyperion employees when he gets in power, and in another log, one of the scientists says something about his wife (or maybe it was in Opportunity?) and Jack says something about, "Why should I listen to a guy who doesn't have any kids?"
"But, I do, sir. I have a son."
"No, you see, you don't. Not anymore."

I'm looking forward to the Pre-Sequel to see if it can explain how Jack can fall so far, but I'm a little worried that they went so over the top with his evilness that I'm going to have trouble believing whatever they write.

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
Ryallen said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of him killing children of his employees. Bandit kids, maybe, but kids of Hyperion employees?
It's in one of the radio logs Mordecai asks you to find toward the end of the game. He murders a few Hyperion employees when he gets in power, and in another log, one of the scientists says something about his wife (or maybe it was in Opportunity?) and Jack says something about, "Why should I listen to a guy who doesn't have any kids?"

I'm looking forward to the Pre-Sequel to see if it can explain how Jack can fall so far, but I'm a little worried that they went so over the top with his evilness that I'm going to have trouble believing whatever they write.

Yup I had a hard time enjoying the game cause of him. Having to listen to that sick, twisted bastard and waiting till the end to kill him? Had to hit the mute button every time he talked in my second playthrough just so my brain wouldn't explode from the pent up rage. Angel was a close third while the Sheriff took second place in my bullet express to hell book.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Sniper Team 4 said:
Actually I've talked about this a few times, but Handsome Jack is a representation of the average player character from most RPGs, as seen from the perspective of the average bandit.

You see in Borderlands, you, the player character, are a bandit. Sure, you're a vault hunter, but you're also a bandit just like the rest of the denizens of Pandora. Hell, you can play as a Psycho in the game. The entire game is spent with you looting and killing, and fighting little land wars against various other bandit clans, and that's all you do when you're not fighting Handsome Jack. You're one of the reasons that Pandora is so dangerous. Why are you on Pandora? Because you're a vault hunter and you're all about getting more money and bigger guns. You're not a hero you're there for your own self interest.

The reason Handsome Jack thinks that he's the hero is because he is. He's bringing peace and order to Pandora. He's capturing, studying, and eradicating dangerous wildlife and exterminating the bandit populations that make Pandora dangerous for normal people. He created the city of Opportunity, which allows people a safe haven to live in for free.

I mean, what are the evil things that Handsome Jack has done?

Destroy the environment? Pandora was already kind of a shit-hole, and while he did pollute a few areas he did so in the name of progress. He created real cities on Pandora, rather than just the shanty towns that were there before.

Murder people? Pretty much everyone he "murdered" were murderous psychotic bandits who attack everyone the moment they see them. He killed the same kind of people that you spend the entire game killing. Did he kill them brutally? Sure, but the average player rather enjoys finding gruesome ways to kill their enemies. I bet you enjoyed shooting people in the face and watching their heads fly off. Of course you did you sick bastard, we all did.

Imprisoned his daughter? You could see it that way, but you can also see it as protecting everyone from a person who has incredible powers that she can't control.

Handsome Jack lives by the idea that the ends justify the means. The reason you see him as evil though is because everything he does is counter to what your player characters are trying to achieve, and because the other characters in the game, who are bandits, tell you that he's evil. The game is about bandits and anarchists fighting against a government which seeks to eradicate them in the name of peace and safety and your character is put on the wrong side.

That's what makes the game so interesting and well written to me. Handsome Jack is written as an evil bastard but at the same time I see everything he does as the actions that an immature player would take when playing an open world RPG while role-playing the hero. It's kind of brilliant.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
The guy who wrote the ending in Mass Effect 3.

Hahaha so topical.

But honestly, every bad character I remember is worth remembering because they are usually sympathetic in some way.

Sephiroth believed that he should kill humans because we are a blight, and it was his right to do so as a monster created by humans for his mother; he was driven insane by the knowledge of his creation.

Liquid Snake just wanted the DNA of Big Boss so he could survive, and make sure his soldiers survived.
Solidus wanted to free the citizens of the US from control by the government and it's shadowy controllers; grant them true freedom.
Volgan wanted the Philosopher's Legacy so he could end the Cold War. The Boss wanted to complete a mission for her country to live.
Ocelot just wanted to finish the work of Big Boss; to find and kill the Patriots and end their control over humanity. Let humanity be free.
Big Boss just wanted a place where he could take soldiers being used by their governments and let them be safe; to oppose Zero from controlling humanity.

Saren believed that if the races of the Citadel didn't submit to the Reapers, they would all die. He felt he had to do it.

Ryallen

Feb 25, 2014
Sniper Team 4 said:
Ryallen said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

If you're talking about the mission where Mordecai asks you to find 5 ECHO logs, then I have no idea what you were listening to, but he never killed anyone's kid. He might have done it in another log, but not in the logs that Mordecai asks you to find in Get to Know Jack. Those just explain how he got to where he is at that time.

Ryallen

Feb 25, 2014
Dirty Hipsters said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Actually I've talked about this a few times, but Handsome Jack is a representation of the average player character from most RPGs, as seen from the perspective of the average bandit.

You see in Borderlands, you, the player character, are a bandit. Sure, you're a vault hunter, but you're also a bandit just like the rest of the denizens of Pandora. Hell, you can play as a Psycho in the game. The entire game is spent with you looting and killing, and fighting little land wars against various other bandit clans, and that's all you do when you're not fighting Handsome Jack. You're one of the reasons that Pandora is so dangerous. Why are you on Pandora? Because you're a vault hunter and you're all about getting more money and bigger guns. You're not a hero you're there for your own self interest.

The reason Handsome Jack thinks that he's the hero is because he is. He's bringing peace and order to Pandora. He's capturing, studying, and eradicating dangerous wildlife and exterminating the bandit populations that make Pandora dangerous for normal people. He created the city of Opportunity, which allows people a safe haven to live in for free.

Destroy the environment? Pandora was already kind of a shit-hole, and while he did pollute a few areas he did so in the name of progress. He created real cities on Pandora, rather than just the shanty towns that were there before.

Murder people? Pretty much everyone he "murdered" were murderous psychotic bandits who attack everyone the moment they see them. He killed the same kind of people that you spend the entire game killing. Did he kill them brutally? Sure, but the average player rather enjoys finding gruesome ways to kill their enemies. I bet you enjoyed shooting people in the face and watching their heads fly off. Of course you did you sick bastard, we all did.

Imprisoned his daughter? You could see it that way, but you can also see it as protecting everyone from a person who has incredible powers that she can't control.

Handsome Jack lives by the idea that the ends justify the means. The reason you see him as evil though is because everything he does is counter to what your player characters are trying to achieve, and because the other characters in the game, who are bandits, tell you that he's evil. The game is about bandits and anarchists fighting against a government which seeks to eradicate them in the name of peace and safety and your character is put on the wrong side.

That's what makes the game so interesting and well written to me. Handsome Jack is written as an evil bastard but at the same time I see everything he does as the actions that an immature player would take when playing an open world RPG while role-playing the hero. It's kind of brilliant.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed this.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
The Catalyst from Mass Effect 3. That guy murdered quadrillions of innocent people over the millennia, did something to Commander Shepard's brain, and made Shepard carry out his insane scheme for him.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
s69-5 said:
StriderShinryu said:
Probably Kefka. There's not even a real reason for his to do what he does beyond it just being fun. There really isn't even any easily pushed aside personal desire or belief.
Pretty much sounds like The Joker - right down to the face paint.
"Some people just want to see the world burn".
That's actually pretty much how I'd describe Kefka. Who incidentily was the first character I thought of when I saw this thread.
The Joker + Magic = Kefka

Dec 10, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said here, except for the main assertion. It is a brilliant reversal of the traditional formula, with Handsome Jack as the personification of a player character and the player character in the role of a murderous bandit. That much is true. But I wouldn't go so far as to argue that Jack is actually a hero.

Jack is like the worst Evil/Renegade/villain protagonist ever. Most games don't let you kill kids, which he does. Even the games that allow you to slaughter hundreds of vicious foes don't usually let you burn down their villages and kill their families. Jack takes such glee in brutalizing people and taking everything they have before he kills them, and that's just not a heroic attribute. If Jack is the hero of his own RPG, he is the one making all the most evil decisions just for the fun of it. He's the equivalent of the PC in GTA III who hops in a truck and runs over every civilian he sees, because hey, they were asking for it for being in his way.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
My answer is a character from Danganronpa:
Junko Enoshima, the Ultimate Despair.

She's not just evil, she's specifically the best in the world at being evil, and spreading it.

Her influence was such that 2000 high school students committed suicide for her, and she later remarks (From beyond the grave, mind you) that it is one of her best memories.

She killed her sister because "Eh, why not? Couldn't hurt"