The most irredeemably evil bastard in any videogame

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Handsome Jack.
I can forgive murdering everyone in Sanctuary.
I can forgive child abuse.
I can forgive him trying to murder everyone trying to lead a peaceful life.
I can forgive the human/animal slag experiments.

But you kill Bloodwing and I'll hunt you down and rip out your throat.

Jun 20, 2013
Curtis Blackburn from Killer7.

His adoptive daughter cosplays as a Sailor Moon expy to help him kidnap children. I imagine this was forced on her, the game doesn't actually tell you from what I remember. He harvests the organs of kidnap victims to sell on the black market. He then rapes their corpses. This is in addition to occasional murder sprees.

One scene depicts him slaughtering the family of an old crime partner, he taunts him with the head of his recently murdered daughter. He is executed as he screams in horror.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Personally, I've got to give it to the villain of Bioshock (spoiled for the 2 people that have SOMEHOW not played Bioshock yet):

Yeah, Fontaine is, by a wide margin, one of the biggest pricks in gaming that I can think of. He's directly or indirectly responsible for the deaths of 90% of Rapture's citizens. He had every intention to sell Rapture's biotechnology to the surface world, KNOWING exactly how dangerous it was. He knowingly took advantage of the downtrodden with his homes for the poor, and his "schools" for little girls... which he then used to create Big Daddies and Little Sisters, which is an ethical nightmare all on it's own. He basically stole an entire city out from under it's creator, Andrew Ryan. And lets not forget everything he DIRECTLY did to both the main character of Bioshock, and Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite's DLC.

And all of this... for what? Money. Just money. He's so morally bankrupt that he'd watch the entire world burn down around him for a couple bucks. That's fucked, I don't care who you are.

After the big reveal halfway through Bioshock, I was ready to rip his smug head off, and ENJOY it. I never usually get so invested in bringing a bad guy down like that.

UmberHulk

Jun 4, 2014
Jon Irenicus from Baldur's Gate 2: I just could not stand this guy he constantly did terrible things, than he would claim that he was morally justified and that the protagonist just didn't understand the importance of his work. So what were his reasons that justified torturing and murdering who knows how many people.
He tried to usurp the eleven gods and get with the eleven queen. So the gods made him into human.
and somehow this justifies every horrible thing he does. At least Sarevok never pretended to be anything other than a complete and utter bastard Irenicus is an over grow child who acts like one completely justified punishment from the gods gives him the right to do whatever. That and he had a really smug and self-satisfied voice that made me want to punch his sneering face in.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
Probably Kefka. There's not even a real reason for him to do what he does beyond it just being fun. There really isn't even any easily pushed aside personal desire or belief.
Hate to be that guy, but if you just name a character its best to say what game they are from.

I mean you and I know he's Final Fantasy' answer to the Joker but others may not.

For me I'd say Shao Khan from Mortal Kombat.

Its pretty unsubtle evil, but this skull wearing prick orders the destruction and invasion of realms (planes of existence) on a daily basis. This means people are killed, eaten, burned, raped, squashed etc. and this guy loves it. He also absorbs souls... he torments you even in death. This guy is equally as bad as the devil himself.

And to top it all he's one of the most infuriating, scream inducing, controller throwing, I'll try again tomorrow'ing fighting game bosses of all time.

No FUCK YOU Shao Kahn YOU suck.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
The 2d Spacemen you play in Space Station 13

Murder, cannibalism, framing , terrorism, scamming, drug dealing, theft, treason, torture, illegal weapon selling, kidnapping?. Everyone who has played SS13 has done these things and constantly try to find an excuse to do these things. It is so normal for these spacemen that it is almost routine. True evil in its most unadulterated form.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think the analysis on Jack is going a bit too far personally. Honestly the whole game series is intentionally designed to be absurd, and Jack is designed to be as absurd as any of the other characters you run into.

The thing is, not many people wake up in the morning thinking "gee I'm going to be really evil", most people who are evil actually think they are doing the right thing from some perspective. When they aren't they tend to be too cartoonish to take seriously. Sometimes a nilistic philosophy, a desire for revenge gone too far, or even ironically love can be possible motives for someone knowingly doing something evil though. An example of the last bit would be something like "Magic Knight Rayearth" where (spoiler) the twist at the end is the bad guys are the princess and her lover who fell in love despite the princess needing to remain pure and unbiased from such feelings to hold the world together, they are literally willing to destroy the world for each other, the heroes are actually the result of a "suicide spell" cast by the princess' subconscious to bring her down so a new one can be selected to re-balance
the dying world.

The way I see it is that a villain doesn't need to be evil, and properly presented he probably isn't, he's just someone who happens to be on the other side of the equasion from you and thinks he's doing whatever he's doing for the right reasons.

Greed also tends to be a good motivator, basically when you put yourself and your own desires ahead of anyone and everything else regardless of who happens to get hurt, without even the pretensions of a greater purpose.

That said it's hard to really pick a "most evil" video game villain for me because over the years I've pretty much run into enemies who were supposed to be the little manifestation of all evil.... I mean think about what your fighting in "Diablo" for example. In D3 I literally threw the last prime evil out of heaven, and then took down the angel of death for good measure.... we're talking beings defined more or less as pure malevolence to their core.

Oh and honestly, to make a guess about "Handsome Jack" I don't think a huge amount of thought went into him, I could be wrong, but I think some people's ideas about the meaning are likely more elaborate than what the devs did. HOWEVER if I had to guess where this is going, I'd suspect something in the pre-sequel is going to give him some kind of "Chosen One" complex, and convince him he's pursueing an agenda so noble that it won't matter exactly what methods he uses in the end. Similar concepts have existed in fantasy before, and this could very well be a parody of it.

To be honest though if I was ever going to do a version of Handsome Jack, I'd probably expand the joke by finding out as he dies (or right afterwards) that had he survived he was going to be able to resurrect everyone, and nobody was going to remember it, which is why he figured "hey, why not, it doesn't matter anyway?"... but now that you killed him all the death and carnage remains, meaning you kind of just did everything he did... or at least made it matter. :)

But that said, yeah, I don't take Jack seriously, because as a general rule people don't go out and kill people and do screwed up shit for no reason, invariably they always have a reason and think there is going to be some benefit to doing so. Even if one uses the whole "he's just a military strong man on a screwed up planet" argument, even on Pandora there would be ways of Jack achieving his goals without going that overboard with it. What's more even if one argues he might very well have to kill the kids and stuff to eradicate some of the threats (total war) it's not the kind of thing you act gleeful about... that's the kind of disgusting crap you do when you have no choice, and always when you think some kind of greater good is going to come of it. "Kill a few now, save a lot more later" so to speak.

Melaphont

Sep 8, 2014
Kefka is clearly the best choice, imo. However, after him probably the emperor from The Old Republic, since he wants to wipe out all life in the galaxy, practically.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Thyunda said:
Silverbeard said:
The dark elder are basically agents of chaos
You watch your goddamn mouth. The Dark Eldar have a hole in their soul they need to fill and they're not actually all that picky about what they fill it with. They'd get the same glee torturing a daemon as they would a child.
Ah-ha. And... what would be easier to torture? A two year old human child? Or a plaguebearer of Nurgle?
I need to fill my belly with food and I'm not all that picky about what I fill it with, either. But I will choose to kill a deer and eat it rather than kill a tiger and eat that.
Not watching my mouth on this one, mate!

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
Kratos from the God of War series. He destroys the world after having his power striped from him by the other gods for being an ass.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I could probably agree with Kratos being the most evil. Understanding that his actions could lead to the end of the world... he fires right on ahead because "arrgghhh, Kratos SMASH." He's pretty much just a bladespinny psycho who's only happy when he's brushing minotaur testicles and eyeballs off of his shoulder armor.

It's hard to really define a good villain as evil, most think they're doing the right thing. The ones that don't are just kind of one note and forgettable for the most part. And yes adding to the Handsome Jack discussion... yes he thinks he's the hero. I even agree that it's pretty hard to prove that he's not. I don't disagree that he's ruthless, but if one is trying to bring order to a place like Pandora... you'd have to be. Opportunity was the realization for me. Building a city like that, when everything else I'd seen on Pandora was... New Haven? Sanctuary? At BEST? Seeing Opportunity convinced me right away that I was fighting against the closest thing to "the good guys" on Pandora. Sure, Jack was hard on the employees. But the overall universe Borderlands takes place in seems to be mostly a corporatocracy, which aren't well known for good labor relations. At best the vault hunters and the crimson raiders could be seen as maybe "freedom fighters." And yes, most established governments usually see "freedom fighters" as bandits, raiders, terrorists, and criminals. It makes killing them (even whole tribes and villages of them) easier, even justified (to the establishment.)

That doesn't make Jack "right" and the vault hunters "wrong" mind you. The vault hunters are totally justified going after Jack; he wants to kill them and continues to try all through the game. And as a wise person once said "if someone tries to kill you, you try and kill them right back." There really aren't any "good guys" in Borderlands, as it is in life, it's just more complicated than "black and white." Fallout is much the same way. The closest thing to real "good guys" I've found is the Followers. Even the NCR has gone all expansionist and a little fascist. A close second would be the east coast Brotherhood, but they had to stray from the brotherhood creed to be the "good guys" that they have become. Had they not found supermutants attacking wastelanders, they probably would have wound up taking and hoarding all the tech.

Gone on for far too long here, but I'd rather answer the original question with the character I actually hate the most (regardless of relative morality.) I'd have to say
Hobbes
from Wing Commander (hidden for those who don't know who the traitor was.) Played the first game. The Tiger Claw (a carrier) was destroyed at the end because of a traitor, and all the pilots and command staff were suspects.
Hobbes
was the ONLY ONE I trusted. The only one I believed COULD NOT be the traitor... When I found out the truth, I actually RAGED, chased him down and murdered him. People who lived next to me have said I was actually screaming "Die" and several other vulgar and profane things.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
rgrekejin said:
Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth. At the end of Bioshock Infinite, they declare themselves judge, jury and executioner of countless entire *timelines* of people for mostly selfish reasons. I mean, sure, by taking out Booker before his baptism, they prevent any future Columbias from developing, but what about all the people who lived in those Columbias? Whose parents only met because of those Columbias? They relegated a countless host of innocent people not to death, but to complete and utter nonexistence. That's way, way worse than anything Comstock ever did.
I see that more as two people stuck choosing the lesser of two evils. It's shown (not that it makes sense mind you, but that's another matter) that any timeline where Columbia exists there's going to be racial oppression and exploitation across the city, unnecessarily bloody revolution at some point, and eventually Columbia attacks New York City if not the entirety of the U.S. killing millions. Stopping Comstock and thus Columbia from existing is just the least harmful choice, there is no "good" choice involved for Booker or Elizabeth.
It wasn't shown that Columbia attacks New York in every timeline, just that it does it in some. For instance, I have a hard time imagining New York gets attacked in the timeline where the Vox win and take over Columbia. We just know that it happens in some timelines. Also, while racial exploitation and oppression suck, at least if the people being exploited and oppressed actually get a chance to, you know, exist, there's some chance that things might get better for them. Our own timeline is pretty rife with racial oppression and war. Does that mean it shouldn't exist at all? Booker and Elizabeth are making a life-or-death choice for an infinite number of people in a situation where they cannot possibly understand all the variables at play. So they mete out punishment to entire universes based on the potential outcome of their own personal melodrama. Being the only people I can readily think of who destroyed a literally infinite number of lives, Booker and Elizabeth get my vote for most irredeemably evil bastards in any videogame, ever. You don't have to be a scenery-chewing monster to commit acts of incredible evil.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
If you count in Warhammer universe, Slanesh is without any competition. He is literately god of perverted pleasures. And by perverted i mean everything from weird sex to eternal tortures.

Other than that, some of user created characters outmatch anything game designers created. Human mind is twisted and when given a freedom that video game gives, most awful things are created.

I remember seeing people organizing gangs in Day-Z, capturing players and forcing them to fight to death bare handed etc...

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
carnex said:
If you count in Warhammer universe, Slanesh is without any competition. He is literately god of perverted pleasures. And by perverted i mean everything from weird sex to eternal tortures.
Actually, I'm going off old fluff here but Slannesh is the god of excess.

Basically, Eldar have a psychological quirk whereby they tend to get fixated on things and obsess about them until it takes over their entire consciousness. The pre-fall Eldar didn't really try and control this. As their society became more decadent they just allowed their based impulses to become obsessions and run rampant. As they got more and more jaded their needs became more and more extreme in their efforts to meet their own desires. As Slannesh began to form, it fed and warped their obsessions so that they didn't realize that their society was already collapsing around them.

But yeah, Slannesh is born out of that obsession and that need to push whatever you do to the most ridiculous extreme possible. Slannesh always wants you to turn it up to 11 all the time. Slannesh doesn't care if you're obsessed with being the best duelist ever or obsessed with screwing each other in a pit of human offal as long as you're obsessed with something. It's that absolute lack of restraint which appeals to him/her, rather than just nipple clamps.

This is actually why the craftworld eldar are dying out. In order to avoid repeating the horrors of the fall, they have to live what is (to an Eldar) an extremely unnatural life based on constantly controlling their own obsessions. It's kind of like being in a monastic community. So a lot of them can't handle it, leave and then get killed.

As I said though. Old fluff. I don't keep up with 40k nowadays.

Zeluron89

Aug 26, 2014
Diabolically Evil:
I think AM (Allied Master Computer) from I have no mouth and I must scream, since he deliberately keeps people immortal just to torture them for all eternity.

Statistically Evil:
The player from Master of Orion 2, since you can wipe out billions of people with the click of a button. Mass genocide is just so trivial in that game. :D

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Really, the people in Sanctuary aren't bandits and psychopaths?

Marcus is an arms dealer to all the bandits on Pandora. He shoots a man for asking for a refund. He has a murder/torture dungeon in his store on Sanctuary where you get to test your guns out by shooting unarmed Bandits who are chained up. He sells guns to ALL OF YOUR ENEMIES and sees nothing wrong with this so long as he gets his profit.

Brick is literally the leader of a bandit group called The Slabs. At one point he got kicked out of Sanctuary for being too hardcore and torturing too many people.

Dr. Zed experiments on animals and people, and creates horrible murderous mutants.

No no, these are wonderful, charming people. Maybe you're the one who needs to listen more closely.
I agree with all the people you singled out. As well as the wandering vault hunter and that guy who hates claptrap. Nor sure about scooter.
And Moxie is a black widow (sorta).

The average citizens of Sanctuary (besides the bandits you have a mission with and the clone family you have a mission with) seem to be just average people. And no one in New Haven seemed to be anything else.

One thing people seem to be forgetting is that Dhal, Jackobs and Atlas (cant recall any of the others having a direct presence outside of vending machines) pulled out of Pandora and in most cases abandoned the employees there. So not everyone on the planet was prison labor. Those are the people I am talking about.

EDIT: Minor word change.

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
Ryallen said:
minkus_draconus said:
Ryallen said:
minkus_draconus said:
Ryallen said:
Well, you are about to see why in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

I think it has to do with the fact that the people he tortures might actually BE bandits. Albeit bandits that might not be attacking him, but where you see a penal colony, he sees exactly what you are shooting through: Camp after camp of murderous psychotic bandits trying to murder you for shits, giggles, and loot. He just can't tell the difference. The daughter thing I believe has something to do with the possibility of Angel being the one to kill her mother, and the device being used to control her powers, while he uses her powers for his own ends. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of him killing children of his employees. Bandit kids, maybe, but kids of Hyperion employees?

OT: My answer to this question is not one based from love or hatred of this character, but of pure fact: M. Bison, specifically because to gain his power, he literally ripped out any good he had in his body and embraced the mad evil left in his soul. He is irredeemable because he literally has no good left in his entire body through his own machinations.
I cant think of a single thing that could possibly make me feel anything for Jack.

He was written as too much of everything I dislike in humanity.

It was impressive how much I wanted to totally find him and end him after discovering the Echocasts where he murdered Helena Pierce. This was amplified when he described how he blinded a man who tried to defend himself from Jack in front of his children. Actually pretty much everything in BL2 involving him makes me see red (figuratively).

Seriously his fictional actions are the only ones any villain (I would put Kefka up next) I can think of has performed that actually make me mad just thinking about.
Really? Those things made you hate him that much? A story he tells you for luls and an Echocast to establish him as a sarcastic murderer? Not the torturing Tiny Tina's family, or the threatening of his employees, or anything like that?
I was picking out things specifically, rather then a litany of his entire existence (no time for wall of text). His character overall and hearing his voice (even in my head while typing this) just brings about rage. So he probably would be a great 4chan toll.
Also the Helena Pierce thing makes him a liar and I really dislike liars.
Would you trust a bunch of terrorists to not try to blow up your stuff? Because, basically, to Jack, the Crimson Raiders are terrorists upsetting the peace and order that he is trying so desperately to maintain. He lied because he is stronger than them, and they are, to put it bluntly, stealing his shit. And no, the train wasn't legally commandeered. They straight up stole that train. And he took it back with Wilhelm. Simple as that.
In my view the good guys keep their word even if it costs them, so no Jack is not a hero in my book. Even if there was a theft it's not like he offered the people who were not bandits a way off Pandora when everything fell and the other corporations abandoned the workers (not the prisoners) there.

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
Kyrian007 said:
Gone on for far too long here, but I'd rather answer the original question with the character I actually hate the most (regardless of relative morality.) I'd have to say
Hobbes
from Wing Commander (hidden for those who don't know who the traitor was.) Played the first game. The Tiger Claw (a carrier) was destroyed at the end because of a traitor, and all the pilots and command staff were suspects.
Hobbes
was the ONLY ONE I trusted. The only one I believed COULD NOT be the traitor... When I found out the truth, I actually RAGED, chased him down and murdered him. People who lived next to me have said I was actually screaming "Die" and several other vulgar and profane things.
I completely forgot about that (been a while) and that burnt me pretty hard as well.

Ghraf

Sep 16, 2014
Cain or Miang from Xenogears might qualify for pretty high on the list, considering they lived through hundreds of generations of humans for the explicit purpose of growing humanity on an entire planet in order for Deus to use them all as "parts" to rebuild itself and then continue on destroying planets. It might be more accurate to say it was Deus doing all of the work since it created Miang and Cain, but they both seem to have fairly high levels of autonomy themselves. But they still fabricated an entire race of humans in order to simply have them all killed.

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
Molag Bal from the Elder Scrolls games. Basically that universe's version of Darksied, Molag Bal is a malevolant demigod who revels in subjugation, humiliation, and enslavement, literally being known as the "king of rape" within some in-game cultures. His realm is a twisted, ruined reflection of the real world, his creations are among the most pervasive and destructive in Tamriel, and while other Daedra, even openly evil ones like Boethia, occasionally patron some culture or cause, All Bal cares about is conquest and ruin. He's mere philosophical steps from blind-idiot-god territory except he wants you to KNOW it's him crushing you so that you fully submit before giving over to the endless anguish of living death. Also he has the crappiest Daedric relics so even serving him willingly isn't good for much.