The most irredeemably evil bastard in any videogame

rahnborshko

Nov 24, 2013
StriderShinryu said:
Probably Kefka. There's not even a real reason for him to do what he does beyond it just being fun. There really isn't even any easily pushed aside personal desire or belief.
I agree.

-Making the world into an apocalyptic cesspool full of dangerous beasts
-Having yourself be the undisputed murderous god of the world
-Poisoning an entire kingdom
-Manically ordering a solder to wipe sand off of his boots

Doing all of this just for kicks and giggles.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
minkus_draconus said:
Ryallen said:
minkus_draconus said:
Ryallen said:
minkus_draconus said:
Ryallen said:
Well, you are about to see why in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

I think it has to do with the fact that the people he tortures might actually BE bandits. Albeit bandits that might not be attacking him, but where you see a penal colony, he sees exactly what you are shooting through: Camp after camp of murderous psychotic bandits trying to murder you for shits, giggles, and loot. He just can't tell the difference. The daughter thing I believe has something to do with the possibility of Angel being the one to kill her mother, and the device being used to control her powers, while he uses her powers for his own ends. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of him killing children of his employees. Bandit kids, maybe, but kids of Hyperion employees?

OT: My answer to this question is not one based from love or hatred of this character, but of pure fact: M. Bison, specifically because to gain his power, he literally ripped out any good he had in his body and embraced the mad evil left in his soul. He is irredeemable because he literally has no good left in his entire body through his own machinations.
I cant think of a single thing that could possibly make me feel anything for Jack.

He was written as too much of everything I dislike in humanity.

It was impressive how much I wanted to totally find him and end him after discovering the Echocasts where he murdered Helena Pierce. This was amplified when he described how he blinded a man who tried to defend himself from Jack in front of his children. Actually pretty much everything in BL2 involving him makes me see red (figuratively).

Seriously his fictional actions are the only ones any villain (I would put Kefka up next) I can think of has performed that actually make me mad just thinking about.
Really? Those things made you hate him that much? A story he tells you for luls and an Echocast to establish him as a sarcastic murderer? Not the torturing Tiny Tina's family, or the threatening of his employees, or anything like that?
I was picking out things specifically, rather then a litany of his entire existence (no time for wall of text). His character overall and hearing his voice (even in my head while typing this) just brings about rage. So he probably would be a great 4chan toll.
Also the Helena Pierce thing makes him a liar and I really dislike liars.
Would you trust a bunch of terrorists to not try to blow up your stuff? Because, basically, to Jack, the Crimson Raiders are terrorists upsetting the peace and order that he is trying so desperately to maintain. He lied because he is stronger than them, and they are, to put it bluntly, stealing his shit. And no, the train wasn't legally commandeered. They straight up stole that train. And he took it back with Wilhelm. Simple as that.
In my view the good guys keep their word even if it costs them, so no Jack is not a hero in my book. Even if there was a theft it's not like he offered the people who were not bandits a way off Pandora when everything fell and the other corporations abandoned the workers (not the prisoners) there.
Do you see how insanely violent the people of Pandora are? Do you really think it would have been wise to take them off of the planet? And Jack isn't supposed to be a hero in our eyes. He's the bad guy from the perspective of the Vault Hunters. Granted, that doesn't mean that the Vault Hunters are good guys either, it just means that they are the protagonists, and the protagonist usually wins. And as for the departure of the gun companies from Pandora, that was years before the Vault Hunters came to Pandora, much less when Handsome Jack got there. They lived there enough to mutate into midgets and Badasses, among other things, as well as adjust to the hostile planet itself.

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
Ryallen said:
minkus_draconus said:
Ryallen said:
minkus_draconus said:
Ryallen said:
minkus_draconus said:
Ryallen said:

I think it has to do with the fact that the people he tortures might actually BE bandits. Albeit bandits that might not be attacking him, but where you see a penal colony, he sees exactly what you are shooting through: Camp after camp of murderous psychotic bandits trying to murder you for shits, giggles, and loot. He just can't tell the difference. The daughter thing I believe has something to do with the possibility of Angel being the one to kill her mother, and the device being used to control her powers, while he uses her powers for his own ends. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of him killing children of his employees. Bandit kids, maybe, but kids of Hyperion employees?

OT: My answer to this question is not one based from love or hatred of this character, but of pure fact: M. Bison, specifically because to gain his power, he literally ripped out any good he had in his body and embraced the mad evil left in his soul. He is irredeemable because he literally has no good left in his entire body through his own machinations.
I cant think of a single thing that could possibly make me feel anything for Jack.

It was impressive how much I wanted to totally find him and end him after discovering the Echocasts where he murdered Helena Pierce. This was amplified when he described how he blinded a man who tried to defend himself from Jack in front of his children. Actually pretty much everything in BL2 involving him makes me see red (figuratively).

Seriously his fictional actions are the only ones any villain (I would put Kefka up next) I can think of has performed that actually make me mad just thinking about.
Really? Those things made you hate him that much? A story he tells you for luls and an Echocast to establish him as a sarcastic murderer? Not the torturing Tiny Tina's family, or the threatening of his employees, or anything like that?
I was picking out things specifically, rather then a litany of his entire existence (no time for wall of text). His character overall and hearing his voice (even in my head while typing this) just brings about rage. So he probably would be a great 4chan toll.
Would you trust a bunch of terrorists to not try to blow up your stuff? Because, basically, to Jack, the Crimson Raiders are terrorists upsetting the peace and order that he is trying so desperately to maintain. He lied because he is stronger than them, and they are, to put it bluntly, stealing his shit. And no, the train wasn't legally commandeered. They straight up stole that train. And he took it back with Wilhelm. Simple as that.
In my view the good guys keep their word even if it costs them, so no Jack is not a hero in my book. Even if there was a theft it's not like he offered the people who were not bandits a way off Pandora when everything fell and the other corporations abandoned the workers (not the prisoners) there.
Do you see how insanely violent the people of Pandora are? Do you really think it would have been wise to take them off of the planet? And Jack isn't supposed to be a hero in our eyes. He's the bad guy from the perspective of the Vault Hunters. Granted, that doesn't mean that the Vault Hunters are good guys either, it just means that they are the protagonists, and the protagonist usually wins. And as for the departure of the gun companies from Pandora, that was years before the Vault Hunters came to Pandora, much less when Handsome Jack got there. They lived there enough to mutate into midgets and Badasses, among other things, as well as adjust to the hostile planet itself.
Almost all the people in Newhaven (minus the guys hiding in the bottom of that one building you can only access at a certain time) and sanctuary who are just average citizens are not murdering psychopaths. Most don't even seem to have weapons.

It's hard to tell the timescale of events on Pandora. Some things make it feel like thousands of years have passed since some events (oceans vanishing) but other aspects (resort town, ect) make it seem like it was maybe 2-3 generations ago max.

Maybe there is something causing the mutations much faster then you think (Eridium or other elemental ore exposure?) because while stuff is in bad shape, it's not so completely fallen apart. Since The Lance (Atlas) was still maintaining bases there during the first game.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
minkus_draconus said:
Ryallen said:
minkus_draconus said:
Ryallen said:
minkus_draconus said:
Ryallen said:
minkus_draconus said:
Ryallen said:

Almost all the people in Newhaven (minus the guys hiding in the bottom of that one building you can only access at a certain time) and sanctuary who are just average citizens are not murdering psychopaths. Most don't even seem to have weapons.

It's hard to tell the timescale of events on Pandora. Some things make it feel like thousands of years have passed since some events (oceans vanishing) but other aspects (resort town, ect) make it seem like it was maybe 2-3 generations ago max.

Maybe there is something causing the mutations much faster then you think (Eridium or other elemental ore exposure?) because while stuff is in bad shape, it's not so completely fallen apart. Since The Lance (Atlas) was still maintaining bases there during the first game.
Yeah, and Jack still saw them as murdering Psychopaths. Simply because they ARE. By their own admission. They are just less so and attempt a peaceful coexistence. If you listen to the people in Sanctuary, they are happy they are no longer in New Haven because it was shit in there. And yes, I'm fairly certain that is has been a few generations since the gun companies left. The oceans dried up because Pandora is a terrible place. The planet is run down because it's incredibly dangerous there. And I'm fairly certain that if it isn't the Eridium mutating the people, it's something else.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
minkus_draconus said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Really, the people in Sanctuary aren't bandits and psychopaths?

Marcus is an arms dealer to all the bandits on Pandora. He shoots a man for asking for a refund. He has a murder/torture dungeon in his store on Sanctuary where you get to test your guns out by shooting unarmed Bandits who are chained up. He sells guns to ALL OF YOUR ENEMIES and sees nothing wrong with this so long as he gets his profit.

Brick is literally the leader of a bandit group called The Slabs. At one point he got kicked out of Sanctuary for being too hardcore and torturing too many people.

Dr. Zed experiments on animals and people, and creates horrible murderous mutants.

No no, these are wonderful, charming people. Maybe you're the one who needs to listen more closely.
I agree with all the people you singled out. As well as the wandering vault hunter and that guy who hates claptrap. Nor sure about scooter.
And Moxie is a black widow (sorta).

The average citizens of Sanctuary (besides the bandits you have a mission with and the clone family you have a mission with) seem to be just average people. And no one in New Haven seemed to be anything else.

One thing people seem to be forgetting is that Dhal, Jackobs and Atlas (cant recall any of the others having a direct presence outside of vending machines) pulled out of Pandora and in most cases abandoned the employees there. So not everyone on the planet was prison labor. Those are the people I am talking about.

EDIT: Minor word change.
The people who Dhal and others abandoned had to live on Pandora surrounded by violent psychopaths for years. During that time they had to do horrible things to survive and at this point have basically become no different from the prisoners who they were abandoned with. They're all bandits now because they had no other way to survive. A lack of characterization for the unimportant NPCs in Sanctuary and New Haven does not make them innocent people. It's like Tannis said, they're all broken now because of what those companies did to them. Anyone who has survived on Pandora has done so by spilling the blood of others because Pandora is too hostile to survive in any other way.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Silverbeard said:
Thyunda said:
Silverbeard said:
The dark elder are basically agents of chaos
You watch your goddamn mouth. The Dark Eldar have a hole in their soul they need to fill and they're not actually all that picky about what they fill it with. They'd get the same glee torturing a daemon as they would a child.
Ah-ha. And... what would be easier to torture? A two year old human child? Or a plaguebearer of Nurgle?
I need to fill my belly with food and I'm not all that picky about what I fill it with, either. But I will choose to kill a deer and eat it rather than kill a tiger and eat that.
Not watching my mouth on this one, mate!
Children die too easy. A plaguebearer of Nurgle can take so, so much delicious pain before finally expiring.

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
The people who Dhal and others abandoned had to live on Pandora surrounded by violent psychopaths for years. During that time they had to do horrible things to survive and at this point have basically become no different from the prisoners who they were abandoned with. They're all bandits now because they had no other way to survive. A lack of characterization for the unimportant NPCs in Sanctuary and New Haven does not make them innocent people. It's like Tannis said, they're all broken now because of what those companies did to them. Anyone who has survived on Pandora has done so by spilling the blood of others because Pandora is too hostile to survive in any other way.
I'll give you that. I still don't think the "average" are that monstrous compared to the players, main NPCs, and "villains"/bandits.
They could have been rescued and with some therapy returned to "normal" lives. I suppose Opportunity could have been the place they went to (until the vault Hunters got done with it). We got no indication Jack would do that since he is a dishonorable actor.

I see them like the people in the refinery town in The Road Warrior (original).

If you are trying to live unmolested and psychos are trying to raid you, fighting back and defending yourself does not make you the same as the ones who are attacking you even if this happens for decades.

It's kinda a shame we didn't have a little more variety and nuance in the groups of people we meet on Pandora. There could have been room for the seemingly normal friendly townsfolk who plot to do away with the vault hunters who come to town. That's something that I think would have been a surprise to spring on players after a few missions for that town. Or a whole Eloi/Morlock relationship somewhere.

EDIT: Typo

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Leon Declis said:
The guy who wrote the ending in Mass Effect 3.

Hahaha so topical.

But honestly, every bad character I remember is worth remembering because they are usually sympathetic in some way.

Sephiroth believed that he should kill humans because we are a blight, and it was his right to do so as a monster created by humans for his mother; he was driven insane by the knowledge of his creation.

Liquid Snake just wanted the DNA of Big Boss so he could survive, and make sure his soldiers survived.
Solidus wanted to free the citizens of the US from control by the government and it's shadowy controllers; grant them true freedom.
Volgan wanted the Philosopher's Legacy so he could end the Cold War. The Boss wanted to complete a mission for her country to live.
Ocelot just wanted to finish the work of Big Boss; to find and kill the Patriots and end their control over humanity. Let humanity be free.
Big Boss just wanted a place where he could take soldiers being used by their governments and let them be safe; to oppose Zero from controlling humanity.

Saren believed that if the races of the Citadel didn't submit to the Reapers, they would all die. He felt he had to do it.
I think you are given Volgin too much credit. He wanted to end the cold war in much the same way as Hitler wanted to unite the world. The legacy was going to be used to fund an unstoppable war machine with himself as a tyrannical leader. The man was pure power hungry and on top of that vile. He killed and tortured people for pleasure. He had no qualms about nuking his own countrymen.

Volgin is pretty damn irredeemable. His only redemption was the fact he felt anything for anyone... the ambiguous relationship with Raikov is the only "human" aspect of this monster. But then again Raikov was supposedly just as sadistic as Volgin.

The MGS series is good for developing sympathetic villains. Volgen is an exception. He's just a monster.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
Ryallen said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
I'm going with Handsome Jack. I just cannot wrap my head around his mindset. He is so stuck in his little fantasy world where he thinks that he's the hero that he murders innocent people for laughs, kills the children of people who work for him if they say something wrong, imprisons his own daughter for life and doesn't listen to her at all, and that's just to name a few things. And all this time, he truly believes that he is the good guy, even as he shoots an unarmed person in the face for no reason. I mean, most villains are at least aware that they are evil, or at least hated by the common people, but him? He is so far gone that I can't even fathom what happened to make him that way. How do you do all those things and still fully believe that you are the good guy?

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of him killing children of his employees. Bandit kids, maybe, but kids of Hyperion employees?
It's in one of the radio logs Mordecai asks you to find toward the end of the game. He murders a few Hyperion employees when he gets in power, and in another log, one of the scientists says something about his wife (or maybe it was in Opportunity?) and Jack says something about, "Why should I listen to a guy who doesn't have any kids?"
"But, I do, sir. I have a son."
"No, you see, you don't. Not anymore."

I'm looking forward to the Pre-Sequel to see if it can explain how Jack can fall so far, but I'm a little worried that they went so over the top with his evilness that I'm going to have trouble believing whatever they write.
He really was incredibly poorly written. I came into this thread expecting to see somebody put him, but he's not evil. He's just an incredibly terribly written character. It's like a 10 year old was tasked with coming up with the most evil person they could and write dialogue for him. It's cringe-worthy at the best of times. Really took away from the game whenever you have you listen to him. Lucky he's not really in the game apart from a few little audio things.

On topic, it's actually hard to think of a truly evil video game character for me. They're usually more cheesy than anything. A few of the characters in RDR and The Darkness (not the Darkness itself though, it seems like more of a force of nature than anything) certainly seem to fit the bill though. Randall in Prototype is pretty evil, actually. He never lets a few thousand civilians get in the way of him eradicating the virus. Although Blackwatch in those games is a bit too cheesy at times to be really evil in my mind, but Randall does stand out to me.

Ghraf

Sep 16, 2014
evilthecat said:
carnex said:
If you count in Warhammer universe, Slanesh is without any competition. He is literately god of perverted pleasures. And by perverted i mean everything from weird sex to eternal tortures.
Actually, I'm going off old fluff here but Slannesh is the god of excess.

Basically, Eldar have a psychological quirk whereby they tend to get fixated on things and obsess about them until it takes over their entire consciousness. The pre-fall Eldar didn't really try and control this. As their society became more decadent they just allowed their based impulses to become obsessions and run rampant. As they got more and more jaded their needs became more and more extreme in their efforts to meet their own desires. As Slannesh began to form, it fed and warped their obsessions so that they didn't realize that their society was already collapsing around them.

But yeah, Slannesh is born out of that obsession and that need to push whatever you do to the most ridiculous extreme possible. Slannesh always wants you to turn it up to 11 all the time. Slannesh doesn't care if you're obsessed with being the best duelist ever or obsessed with screwing each other in a pit of human offal as long as you're obsessed with something. It's that absolute lack of restraint which appeals to him/her, rather than just nipple clamps.

This is actually why the craftworld eldar are dying out. In order to avoid repeating the horrors of the fall, they have to live what is (to an Eldar) an extremely unnatural life based on constantly controlling their own obsessions. It's kind of like being in a monastic community. So a lot of them can't handle it, leave and then get killed.

As I said though. Old fluff. I don't keep up with 40k nowadays.
That's still the "current fluff" of it. Slaanesh is the god of many things, chiefly among them excess, perfectionism, and hedonism. Basically, anything that you feel good doing, you do until it kills you. That's the whole basis of Slaanesh's palace in the Warp as well. People get trapped in one of the levels of it, based on whatever their particular vice is, and then spend eternity doing whatever it is repeatedly.

I don't think Slaanesh would qualify as irredeemably evil of all the Chaos gods, it's probably the most neutral-based of them, since it primarily is interested in followers (living) in order to grow in power. As opposed to Khorne who's empowered by bloodshed and murder or Nurgle who's power comes from suffering and disease (however happy it might be). Of all of them, I'd say Tzeentch is the most evil, though. Tzeentch can hear the thoughts of all mortal beings in the universe and sees the future, so he's able to manipulate the universe into constantly destroying itself without any way to stop it. No matter what anyone does, he will always twist things around to make them end badly.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
I agree upon Arl Howe. I don't think Lohgain even liked to deal with him, only to justify his existence for political strategy only rather than an agreement as to his means. At least with Lohgain, you could say he did it out of nationalism and deep consideration of Ferelda. Arl was just a vicious bastard through and through --- and may I add -- a very weak one once you confront him.

Howe was a big pile of resentment: his father was hanged by the Couslands for being an Orlesian collaborateur, despite having had no choice in the matter (his lands were the first to be invaded by Orlais and any hint of defiance toward the occupier would have brought the undiluted wrath of the empire over his kith & kin), Rendon then spent over three decades keeping his pain and understandable resentment to himself in order to keep his tenuous rank as a "honorable" lord, ended up in a loveless marriage so he could rebuild his family, and that's not even counting the fact that he probably suffered from brain damages at the disastrous battle of white river.

Of course, most if not all the pitiable aspects of his personality become known to the player only post-mortem in Awakening, so it's hard to forget 80 hours or so during which he was the biggest jerk in town.

As for Loghain, he was not that "patriotic": he clearly hated Orlais more than he loved Ferelden, choosing to put the very survival of his compatriots in jeopardy rather than accept much needed help from Orlais, tried to bully the Banns (who are not mere barons but elected officials) into submission instead of taking their demands in consideration, and while Cailen's bravado was mostly a show to keep morals up, Loghain showed that he had become utterly enamored to his own legend, assuming that everyone would follow him because he was "The Hero of River Dain" and that any dissent could only be treasonous, going as far as imagining that his headstrong daughter had been brainwashed by the Grey Wardens when she turned against him: his deeds were a lot more irrational and driven by personal resentment that they appeared at first glance.

It might be more accurate to say it was Deus doing all of the work since it created Miang and Cain, but they both seem to have fairly high levels of autonomy themselves

Miang is an interesting case, as she simultaneously is self aware and denied free will: she's an intelligent cog in self-perpetuating machine: she's not coerced into playing this role, Deus is, after all, little more than a broken mindless automaton driven solely by survival instinct, it's just that her programming renders her utterly incapable of even thinking about escaping her designated role: talk about a nightmarish fate...
Not that it gave me any regret when Fei used his Xenogears to tear her apart limb by limb, mind you.

So, seeing how vassal races build AIs that turn against their masters, the Leviathans solve this by building an AI, that then turns against them.
One questions how a species so unbelievably idiotic conquered the galaxy.

Look at the eventual downfall of every decadent ruling class in every human civilization recorded in history: heirs and descendant of gifted war lords and political leaders who convinced themselves that their blood carried their ancestors' skills and talent, came to see themselves as inherently better as the commoners they lorded over, and concluded that the painful lessons of history did not apply to them because they were oh so much better at everything than everyone else.
The Leviathans are the same, only on a much bigger scale

DarkLordRichard

Sep 16, 2014
Jason Brody. Far Cry 3.

1. Gets lost on Island with friends.

2. Runs through jungle away from psychotics

3. Kills to save himself

4. Enters into an arms race with himself, resulting in the subsequent massacre of any wildlife in his immediate area. Does all of the drugs. All of them.

5. Runs through the jungle stalking his opponents with a ridiculous arsenal of weapons, machetes his opponents, decides he really likes killing afterall.

6. Takes up hunting bears with flamethrowers and landmines.

7. Takes up hunting humans with flamethrowers and landmines.

8. Money!

9. Decides Sharks are competing with him for the title of most dangerous killing machine on the island. Grenades them.

10. Decides Vaas is competing with him for the title of the most dangerous killing machine on the island. Has a lame boss fight.

11. Decides boss fight is so lame, he'll go to another island and kill everyone there as well.

12. Deliberates murdering all of his friends and remaining on the island as a psychotic killing machine.

There's nothing more dangerous than a man who believes he's doing good. An evil man will watch you squirm, they'll want to see you suffer. A good man will kill you without a word. And possibly a flamethrower.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Thyunda said:
Silverbeard said:
Thyunda said:
Silverbeard said:
The dark elder are basically agents of chaos
You watch your goddamn mouth. The Dark Eldar have a hole in their soul they need to fill and they're not actually all that picky about what they fill it with. They'd get the same glee torturing a daemon as they would a child.
Ah-ha. And... what would be easier to torture? A two year old human child? Or a plaguebearer of Nurgle?
I need to fill my belly with food and I'm not all that picky about what I fill it with, either. But I will choose to kill a deer and eat it rather than kill a tiger and eat that.
Not watching my mouth on this one, mate!
Children die too easy. A plaguebearer of Nurgle can take so, so much delicious pain before finally expiring.
I think a plaguebearer would enjoy it a bit too much for the dark eldar to find it very entertaining!

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Me in "Fallout: New Vegas". I sacked Goodsprings with the Poweder Gangers, sided with the Legion and killed Mr. House.

Then I shot a man in Novac just to watch him die...

SuperSaiyanMajinBuu

Nov 21, 2013
For me, the villain must believe himself to be superior to all things in the game and have a complete understanding of what he or she is doing, but thinks what he does is absolute.

Take for instance Chakravartin the Creator from Asura's Wrath. He is a literal god of creation and basically pulled a Sosuke Aizen and planned everything out in the game since the beginning. Having created the Gohma, the main threat of the world, he uses them to search for someone worthy of becoming his successor, no matter how many die. He even destroyed Gaia presumably 100's of time in the past.

Handsome Jack is another great example, especially according to this thread. Some on here say Jack could be seen as "the average RPG player" and to some extent I agree. He believes that what he is doing is for the greater good even if the steps to his goal are questionable. I believe Handsome Jack is a character whose goals may have been peaceful at first, but either personal tragedy or an ever growing god-complex darkened his views, morals and the extent he would go to accomplish his life goal. Say what you want, imprisoning his daughter, even if it's to protect her or the people around her, is still morally wrong no matter the reason.

VectorSlip

Sep 17, 2014
Im sorry but im going to have to go with xinyak on this one. The main villian from SR4

I mean come on. He fucked with biz marquis

You just don't do something like that. You might as well be kicking puppies and launching babies into the vacuum of space with a gun made out of Hitler staches.