The most 'No fair!' moment in a video game?

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
This is gonna have spoilers for Knights of the Old Republic, I know it's old, but I'm warning ya.

The escape from the Leviathan in KotOR. It's the worst example of gameplay and story segregation ever, and it's really is a "no fair". It's not because it's a difficulty spike, no, it's quite the opposite. It's because you're presented with a situation where you should be able to win, and win handily, but can't because the developer says so.

To remind: You're just getting to the ship to get off of the Leviathan, when along comes Darth Chinless himself to stop you. Oh no, cry you, it's the Big Bad, and hours before I was expecting to beat him, and he appears to have paralysed my party. Ah well, on go the combat buffs and up you step for a fight. Oh, look, all his health's gone, in one round. And we seem to have gotten away from him. But no, he's back. And all his health's gone. In one round. Again.

And then it happens. A cutscene starts and Bastila, the idiot princess of the Jedi, (and not at all a clone of Aribeth, honest guv'nor), jumps in front of your lightsaber, just as you were about to send the rest of Malak's head off to join his lower jaw, and "sacrifices" herself so you can escape.

I mean what the fuck? I'd just utterly hammered Malak. Made him look like the snivelling little wimp that he was, and now one of my party jumps in to "distract" him whilst we get away (not to mention gets herself captured and falls to the dark side, like we all knew she was going to the moment she said she wouldn't in the fucking intro).

No fair Bioware, no fair at all.

Flopus

Feb 13, 2008
I agree on the KOTOR scene, I was like "wtf, come back u pussy" when Malak runs, and then when bastilla fucks everything up, "Hey, wtf are u doing here? Gtfo b4 he kills, ah wtf again"

Being destroyed by Tubes in COD4: multi is bad, but all time best would be when i hid a c4 behind the hq and detonated it when two poor basterds were sitting right next to it trying to steal my hq

iviv

Feb 20, 2008
Kings Quest 5 anyone?
For those not in the know, its was an old Sierra point and click adventure. Near the beginning of the game, you see a cat chasing a rat. There is no warning or anything, but you must throw something at the cat to stop it, otherwise it eats the rat.

Now, several hours of gameplay later, you are trapped. If the rat is alive, it bites through the ropes that were holding you and you are free. If the rat was killed, you just wasted several hours of your life.

Those were the days when gamers were real men! None of these instant failures, they let you continue as if nothing was wrong for a couple of hours before stopping you for a mistake you can't even remember now.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Most of the Sierra adventures could become unwinnable in some bastardly oblique way.

Of course, they eventually realised that that was a shit idea, when Lucasarts adventures, which never became unwinnable or killed the player for retarded reasons, started kicking their ass all over the place.

The ultimate Unwinnable though is in an Infocom text adventure called Suspended. It has a difficulty level called "impossible". It is. Literally. The normal game has a turn limit (number of commands you can enter before game end). Impossible sets that to low single digits, and then the sun explodes.

Corsair256

Feb 20, 2008
I was reading this thread and coming up blank, until someone mentioned Advance Wars heh.

The most recent Advance Wars (Dark Conflict to me, Days of Ruin to US), the last mission. Through the previous 25 missions, I'd only dropped 2 S ranks (one by one single damn point), and I'd already gone back and replayed one to S that. So I'm thinking "man, this is kinda disappointing", especially since I know theres no real 'War Room' to fall back on for ranking trials (most of the trials seem to be too easy to S too).

[Possibly spoilers, but I'll try and be vauge]

But damn, that last mission kicked my ass. Suddenly the difficulty shoots up. You've got an enemy base that can spawn whatever units it pleases (even seaplanes without their associated Carriers) and knock half health off your units almost anywhere, and a CO with a immensely powerful CO Zone. So having been overwhelemed by enemy air units on my first two runs, I come up with a plan to rush the enemies only 'real' factory on the map, stopping their CO coming into play. That made things go much smoother... but I still only get a B. Bah!

I couldn't see how it could possibly have gone better, I even won by eliminating all the enemy units rather than hitting the objectives. I forget the exact scores, but two of the three elements were over 100, the other was around 60. Can't remember which though, so its hard to say what really lost it for me heh.

bermyduck

Feb 20, 2008
How about FIFA??? 06/07/08 it doesn't really matter. You score to tie or take the lead in extra time in a hard fought match and you're thinking it's all over! The ref must blow the whistle now as soon as they kick off!!! But, for some reason, the little CPU shitter kicks-off, streaks down the field with his striker, somehow your defense that has been amazing all game turn to toddlers, noone can tackle him. And they blast some ridiculous shot from waaaaay outside the box into the top corner with no chance of your goalie saving it! and the final whistle blows immedieitly after. The combination of 'time vortex' extra time and the suddenly inhuman shooting ability of the opponent is my biggest 'no fair' moments.
Add 10x multiplier if its the CPU is some shitty 1 star team from the norwegian league!

noogai18

Feb 21, 2008
I think that its the in AoE 2, when you're playing regicide, and the enemy castle spawns right next to your town and you dont have the response time of the computer

9NineBreaker9

Nov 1, 2007
Realizing that I'd have to wait longer for Brawl...I feel bad for Europe >,>

Dead Rising always made me angry. Trying to get the Pimp achievement (great for parties!) was really "fun." I managed to get two chicks through the park somehow and saved four more from the obease lesbian cop. I tried to use the shortcut from the current place to where I needed to go...but never saved the dood who "showed" me where it was...! I BARELY got through the park once more (the girl with 69 on her shirt had no health 6.6) and saved them all...only to realize that you needed EIGHT girls at once...I almost cried...that and getting the Genocider achievment only to have the "CASE CLOSE" screen show up...and me not noticing that you could keep on playing >____________________<

Or the Water Room from RE4...to quote Resident Evil WUN!: "Fucking crank...!"

zohmbee

Feb 21, 2008
Phantom Hourglass: Anytime you had to go back to the Temple of the Ocean King. I nearly shot myself whenever I ran out of time during the last two or three trips. x(

Kraden

Feb 21, 2008
Disgaea 2, Item world. I had gone up to floor 53 in a Legendary rank 39 sword. The exit was unreachable. I had wasted my last Gency to double kill the boss. I had to restart.
Morale of story: Never EVER waste your last Gency.

kieranlol

Nov 28, 2007
Esmoreit said:
Smash bros melee, playing the 15 min. man melee with donkey kong, bitchslapping the ground untill my thumbs get sore. With only two minutes on the clock and a life's percentage of 2 minutes, a bob-omb spawns right in front of my clapping.
same thing. except my time was 14:59:93.

I was too annoyed to try again for a long, long time

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
playing oblivion and finding a glitch, talk mid-fall and go through the floor. But you cant get FRIGGIN OUT!
So much time wasted

Esure

Jan 14, 2008
Anyone remember the Blonde Woman from Metal Gear Solid 2? Who was immortal? Try staying alive for 3 minutes with her on Europe Extreme Mode when all u can do is jump about.

Zephyr618

Jan 12, 2008
In Tenchu Z i was fighting an enemy. He managed to hit me and, as usual, my character got knocked back about 10cm... Suddenly, I triggered a trap and fell into it and died. That was NO FAIR

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I have two... both from Link's Awakening...
The first is if you casually decide to start hitting the Cuccoos with your sword... and then everything goes crazy and the chickens start going crazy! Did not expect that all those years ago...
The second is if you manage to steal something from the shop... If you go back in afterwards, then the shopkeeper instant kills you, and you get branded as 'Thief' for the rest of the game...
I suppose they were just the results of taking questionable moral actions in the first place though...

General Ma Chao

Jan 2, 2008
Neverwinter Nights 1, in the 3rd Chapter. It was using the old 3rd Edition rule that you needed a +3 minimum to hurt a pit fiend. I didn't have one and thus the boss was immune to my fighter's damage.