The Movies That Made Us (Documentary Series on Netflix)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Started to post this in the "Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)" thread, but felt it might merit its own topic. It's a documentary series that covers the behind-the-scenes of some of the [more recent] classic movies. It goes into detail about intra-cast drama, production nightmares, setbacks, executive interference, etc. They talk to various actors, producers, directors, crew, etc. It's been a really interesting watch; I've learned a lot that I never knew about some films I've loved for a long time, like Robocop was saddled with an "X" rating until a few seconds of editing took out enough graphic violence to reduce it to "R," (also it was a production nightmare for all involved.) In Forrest Gump, Hanks' iconic accent was taken from the non-actor kid cast to portray young Gump. Sigourney Weaver was apparently one of the last to know Aliens was being made after they were already in full swing to make the film. Fun stuff.

Below is a list of films they've covered thus far. I've only watched the few I was curious about, but am intrigued enough to watch those I might not have considered.
  • Dirty Dancing
  • Home Alone
  • Ghostbusters
  • Die Hard
  • Back To The Future
  • Pretty Woman
  • Jurassic Park
  • Forrest Gump
  • Halloween
  • Friday The 13th
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street
  • Robocop
  • Aliens
  • Coming To America
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Elf

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Pretty sure I've seen Back to the Future and Forrest Gump. I enjoyed much about them, particularly that both of these projects had such challenges to being made in the 1st place and were far different in conception than execution.

I've heard that Pretty Woman had a much more realistic, very depressing end to it that would not have made the very, very odd crowd pleaser. Well. At least Julia Roberts was not Richard Gere's mother.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Started to post this in the "Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)" thread, but felt it might merit its own topic. It's a documentary series that covers the behind-the-scenes of some of the [more recent] classic movies. It goes into detail about intra-cast drama, production nightmares, setbacks, executive interference, etc. They talk to various actors, producers, directors, crew, etc. It's been a really interesting watch; I've learned a lot that I never knew about some films I've loved for a long time, like Robocop was saddled with an "X" rating until a few seconds of editing took out enough graphic violence to reduce it to "R," (also it was a production nightmare for all involved.) In Forrest Gump, Hanks' iconic accent was taken from the non-actor kid cast to portray young Gump. Sigourney Weaver was apparently one of the last to know Aliens was being made after they were already in full swing to make the film. Fun stuff.

Below is a list of films they've covered thus far. I've only watched the few I was curious about, but am intrigued enough to watch those I might not have considered.
  • Dirty Dancing
  • Home Alone
  • Ghostbusters
  • Die Hard
  • Back To The Future
  • Pretty Woman
  • Jurassic Park
  • Forrest Gump
  • Halloween
  • Friday The 13th
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street
  • Robocop
  • Aliens
  • Coming To America
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Elf
I've seen everything on that list bar the horror movies cos I'm not a fan of the genre outside one or two classics and Elf because Will Ferrell is movie kryptonite and every trailer I saw of Elf made it look like the $5 back alley blowjob to the Santa Clause's $10,000 night of the Kama Sutra.

Reactions: Xprimentyl