The Mysterious Dr. M Vows Revenge on GOG

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Mysterious Dr. M Vows Revenge on GOG

The secret behind last year's break-in at GOG [http://www.gog.com] headquarters is one step closer to being revealed thanks to a new comic strip featuring the mysterious Dr. M and his crappy, low-budget flunky.

You may recall that back in November of last year, a black ops team broke into GOG headquarters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105135-Black-Ops-Team-Invades-GOG-Headquarters] with what was assumed to be a plan to steal the company's top-secret plan for future game releases. But as it turns out, that wasn't the plan at all; the real plan, according to newly-released documents, was to plant a tracker in the briefcase containing the plans, so that the mysterious Dr. M could trace the "GOG goons" back to their secret headquarters!

And who is the mysterious Dr. M, you ask? For that, you have to go back even further, to September 2010 [http://www.gog.com/en/news/who_is_dr_m/2010/09] and the story of a budding mad scientist who was hurtled through time from 1999 to 2010 thanks to a particularly nasty Y2K bug in his office PC, before being snapped back to his own era. His glimpse of the future left him twisted and demented, and determined to get GOG!

What "get" means isn't at all clear, but GOG promises to reveal more of the grim horrors that await over the next few days. The company is also planning to make a big announcement about a new deal with a big-time publisher, just ahead of E3. Could the two be related, or is Dr. M after even bigger things? Stay tuned to the story of Dr. M and the Dastardly Doom [http://drmcomic.gog.com/DrMTheDastardlyDoom-Page1.jpg] to find out!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Wait a minute...are they trying to copy Valve by dressing up big announcements and releases with stories and whatnot?

Well it's still pretty cool so no worries, even though I have no freakin' idea what's going on.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Wat.

This is one of the most surreal news posts I've ever read, and I've read some surreal ones...

Anyways, clearly Dr. M is going to take over the GOG headquarters and turn it into a non-stop MLP outlet.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
As surreal as it was, I wonder who that big publisher will be?.

Maybe Bethesda? (id Software games, Morrowind, Oblivion) EA? (American McGee's Alice, Clive Barker's Undying... one can dream).

Or Maybe Square Enix? (for Eidos' games, like Tomb Raider, the Legacy of Kain series (!), Deus Ex, or, heck, even Final Fantasy VII and VIII).

Apr 28, 2008
Is it Lucasarts and will they finally be getting Grim Fandango?

Because that would make me all giddy and happy.

Treblaine said:
Hmm... Doctor M...

Dr M...

Wait a minute! Dr M! D. R. M.

[HEADING=1]DRM![/HEADING]

I think you just uncovered evidence of a conspiracy the likes of which nobody can fathom.

Granted its probably just some silly thing they made up. What with them hating DRM and all. But still, conspiracy.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Treblaine said:
Hmm... Doctor M...

Dr M...

AHAHAHAHAHA

I didn't even notice that. Nice!

This is one of the reasons I love CD Projekt and GOG so much. I'm a huge fan of The Witcher and the classic games, of course, but I especially get a kick out of the way they don't take everything so seriously. They deliver their products and services on a very high level, but they're so incredibly random and fun when it comes to PR and customer interactions that I can't help but admire it. It's almost as if they're one of the few game companies in the business who remember that their business is to make games - you know, fun stuff.

Apr 28, 2008
Also, kind of a long-shot, but I'm hoping they can sign on Bungie and get ONI up on GoG. Again, its a long shot, but remember that Duke Nukem Forever is gold and poised to come out, so just about anything is possible.

I really want to play ONI again, my disk broke :'(

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
Treblaine said:
Hmm... Doctor M...

Dr M...

AHAHAHAHAHA

I didn't even notice that. Nice!

This is one of the reasons I love CD Projekt and GOG so much. I'm a huge fan of The Witcher and the classic games, of course, but I especially get a kick out of the way they don't take everything so seriously. They deliver their products and services on a very high level, but they're so incredibly random and fun when it comes to PR and customer interactions that I can't help but admire it. It's almost as if they're one of the few game companies in the business who remember that their business is to make games - you know, fun stuff.
While I caught on to the DRM stuff last time they did the Dr. M, I can't do anything but agree. I'm one of the few people who quite liked the 'GOG is closing' stuff they did.

They really have a good sense of being silly.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Treblaine said:
Hmm... Doctor M...

Dr M...

Wow just...wow....

Also, bookmarked that website. That'll see a lot of use.
HankMan said:
Nice way to inject some anticipation for your announcement GOG.
Yeap, those GoG boys are running a fantastic operation there, selling all those old games for cheap and without DRM without and they still know how to make fun! They really treat their customers right.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Treblaine said:
Hmm... Doctor M...

Dr M...

Yeah, I defecated construcion material when I saw someone point that out as well.