The Mythbusters Take on Doom Myths in Video Game Special

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Mythbusters Take on Doom Myths in Video Game Special

In next week's video games special, the Mythbusters take on one of the most iconic games of all time: Doom.

If you've been watching the latest season of Mythbusters, you'll have noticed every episode has had its own theme. This week was The A-Team, and the week before was The Simpsons. Next week, the theme is video games, and Adam and Jamie are tackling some myths to deal with one of the most iconic games of all time: Doom.

Check out the clip above, which has Adam running through an abandoned warehouse, retooled to look like a classic Doom level, picking up guns which, appropriately, have cameras mounted right on top of them. They even made sure to include that instant nostalgia inducing "Doom Doors" sound effect. In the video's description, it states that id Software's own Tim Willits will be helping out, as the duo test one of the longest standing FPS tropes of all time: can you really carry all those guns and ammo?

That's only one of the myths, though, and as it is customary for each episode to feature at least two, we wonder what they will pick for the second. Can you strafe and shoot accurately at the same time? Can you actually heal a rocket blast to the face with a standard medpack? What exactly is a BFG and how the heck would one work in real-life?

Maybe the second myth isn't even related to Doom, but features another video game? It is the "video game" special, after all, and not the Doom special.

Doom fans are already excited with id Software and Willits involvement, hoping that the episode may contain a teaser for the upcoming Doom 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135825-Doom-4-Preview-Exclusive-to-QuakeCon-Attendees-Wont-be-Posted-Online], which Bethesda has done a great job of keeping shrouded in mystery so far.

As for me... Fallout 4 or go home. Bethesda. Plz.

Source: The Discovery Channel [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjdziQcEKFg]

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Is it ever specified what the weapons and ammo are made of? Maybe they are made of futuristic lightweight stuff.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
I believe I read that the thing they're going to be testing is whether a person actually CAN carry all those guns and ammo at once, as is suggested by the game.

Which has been done before by the Rooster Teeth guys. Four years ago.

baarserik

Nov 18, 2009
Its not Jamie, but Adam who's running around the warehouse. Its even stated at 0:19. "Adam, you're off!"

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Why can I not quote anymore?!

Anyhoo, my first thought was that episode of Immersion posted above and what the Mythbusters hope to accomplish otherwise, OO, OO! Maybe they will go into an aircraft, put it into a steep dive to simulate Phobos' gravity, and see if you can really out-pace a rocket!

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
There was a "videogame mythbusters" (not their actual name) crew on Youtube a good few years ago. I know they released two episodes, both focusing on Halo 3. One of the shows tested the myth that the elite multiplayer skins had a hole in its hitbox, and it was confirmed. It was low budget but pretty interesting stuff. I wonder if they're still active? I doubt it.

I know my comment is technically off topic, but this story reminded me of it. Anyway, this is kinda cool, but I wish they were testing something more interesting (especially considering Rooster Teeth already did is, as shown by Chessrook44).

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
So are they going to be testing the veracity of the possible existence of space demons?

Because I would honestly love to see the empirical data involved with that kind of study.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
A couple shots in the ad kinda reminded me of the best scene from not quite the best videogame movie adaptation out there (can't say worst, as Ewe Boll made some nasty stinkers)
Warning - graphic violence n stuff

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
I kinda liked the rack that characters carried on their backs, in the first Mass Effect game, with ceramic railguns that folded up (however unrealistcally) and snapped into their assigned positions, in a standardised set of mounts, for one weapon of each class.
It made a tidy sort of rationalisation.

The sequels to the game, alas, went for the usual "bigger is better because it looks cooler" maxim, in most ways.

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
Chessrook44 said:
I believe I read that the thing they're going to be testing is whether a person actually CAN carry all those guns and ammo at once, as is suggested by the game.

Which has been done before by the Rooster Teeth guys. Four years ago.

Damn, I was gonna link this. Still, if you want the answer, there's your lower budget but just as faithful video!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Fulbert said:
A gun with a flashlight? In a Doom game?! Did they even do their research?
That's what I thought too. "Oh, well, there's the first problem. The gun has a flashlight on it."

This looks like it will be fun. I would have a blast doing something like that.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mhmh said:
Mythbusters just isn't the same without the junior team :(
Grant was alright, but I found Tori and Carey were really annoying. Plus it seemed obvious that they were always given the b-grade less exciting myths that Adam and Jamie didn't want to do. I feel like dedicating more time to seeing Adam and Jamie tinker around with stuff to get it to work is much more exciting.

The end of last week's episode, where they threw them into an abandoned lumber mill and told them to a-team a cannon out of spare parts? That was amazing, and I love how they had the time to show the complete process, instead of having to cut back to Grant, Tori and Carey chasing greased-up pigs.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
I'm going to be really disappointed if they don't reference the Rooster Teeth attempt to test the ability to carry all of the DOOM guns, especially as RT also had the advantage of being able to test the difference between the abilities of a former soldier and a regular civvie to carry the gear.

Edit: So from looking at the Discovery site, it seems that they're also doing a thing on Fruit Ninja. Which Rooster Teeth also already did:

http://youtu.be/Hs_aXfILQus

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Seems extraordinarily gimmicky and unnecessary. You don't even have to ask the question about this myth.
No, obviously a human being can't lug around all these weapons and ammo without being hampered at all.
It's not just the weight of them, either; the sheer volume would make it hard to move through doors or run around at high speed. Which is the same speed as running around with just a pistol, by the way. And if you think about the size of a BFG cell alone in regards to ammo, well. Again, we're not talking about merely walking with all this junk strapped onto you, we're talking about running at the same high speed with no hindrance in small spaces, door frames and so on.
A game that got around that through high-tech was Star Trek Elite Force, where additional weapons and equipment like helmets were stored in the transporter buffer and materialized only when needed.

small

Aug 5, 2014
Mhmh said:
i know what you mean they had a manic enthusiasm for their job, obviously loved it and whats not to love about seeing what tori would do that seemed like a great idea at the time that resulted in an accident

LordTwinkie

Oct 10, 2014
Mhmh said:
You're right its not the same, I think its better. The show was getting stale, this update kinda of loops it back to the original version of the show more. I really like the fact they can spend more time explaining the science, the thought process of experimentation and the build process. Its gotten more in depth in my opinion.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I don't think they care at all about Doom, I think it was done not only to hype the supposed next game but also because some sort of agreement between Zenimax.

It's all about the views.

Also, why is my avatar just showing as a red "X" ?