The Name of the Wind to Become a Movie, TV Show, And Game, All At Once

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Hey, Lionsgate, that company I hate that makes bad movies, got the rights to a beloved (mostly) book series
Can't
Wait
What do you mean "sarcastic"
I can only be sincere

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
CrimsonBlack said:
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here.

I've read both of the Kvothe books, and I hate the character. He's a knob. He's your typical super-special know-it-all who can play an instrument, has incredible knowledge retention, impresses everyone, and is just amazing. Rothfuss makes a big deal about how he's incapable with women but he STILL hankers after a gorgeous lass and gets halfway there (who is a main character in the stories, not sure how it'll play out yet).

In terms of their readability - Rothfuss's books seem wooden. As if the author wanted to write fantasy, and forced himself to.
EDIT: I've read ASOIAF and that is good fun. Don't read the Kvothe books unless you have to.
That's kind of the point of heroic fantasy books. They're always about the exceptional adventures of an exceptional individual. The Kingkiller Chronicles actually deconstructs this; we know from the very beginning that the whole thing comes crashing down at some point, probably because of something stupid that Kvothe did. His luck (and make no mistake, Kvothe is very, very lucky) will eventually run out, and he winds up a fugitive who has lost everything he has ever loved, cared about, and worked for in the space of about a decade. He's only 24 or so in the framing story.

That being said, lots of unnecessary sex is a huge turn-off for me, and the last third of the second book falls into that trap. I also don't feel like he places enough emphasis on Kvothe's flaws (the guy's far from perfect), but I'm very interested in seeing in how everything in Kvothe's world goes horribly, horribly wrong.

Still...I didn't care for ASOIAF because of the writing style, to be honest. George R.R. Martin's history as a screenwriter shows in his writing style, in that the books feel like a gigantic screenplay. Having loads and loads of characters and frequently jumping around makes it difficult to put names to characters.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
I love the books and I really wanted to see a TV adaptation but with movies in the mix, I'm a little concerned. How exactly is this supposed to work? Are they going to rush through the story in the movie and then flesh out the in between stuff in the series? I doubt they'll make it a requirement to watch both in order to understand the story.
Wait and see, I guess. Good news anyway. If it sucks I'll just read the books again.

The game adaptation is actually fantastic news though. Seeing how he's a big fan of games like Planescape: Torment and is in fact writing one the characters in Tides of Numenara I expect he'll be more involved than it's usual for a game adaptation. I'd be really surprised if this isn't going to be an RPG. I'd say get Obsidian on that, but they're happy doing their own thing for the first time right now.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
EH never read the books, that short description alone puts me off. Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like yet another asshole protagonist who sleeps around a lot and I'm sick of that shit. I'm just glad it tends be obvious when you have one of those in the first chapter. Dose it also have a love triangle or worse? Are the books brilliant enough in other ways to make up for that?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
DementedSheep said:
EH never read the books, that short description alone puts me off. Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like yet another asshole protagonist who sleeps around a lot and I'm sick of that shit. I'm just glad it tends be obvious when you have one of those in the first chapter. Dose it also have a love triangle or worse? Are the books brilliant enough in other ways to make up for that?
The first chapter isn't anything like that, it's actually very poetic and does a good job sucking you in. It's in the latter end of the 2nd book that Kvothe transforms from awkward virgin teenager to sex machine. Not that this is ever the focus or it ever gets smutty.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Kontarek said:
The premise for this sounds pretty intriguing. Can anyone here recommend these books? I love ASOIAF and haven't been able to find a series that really lives up to it. Like I tried Wheel of Time but it's just so arduously slow and I don't care about any of the characters except Perrin.
It's told from a first person perspective so you shouldn't go in expecting all the politcal drama and scheming that ASOIAF has. It's a very different series. Out of all the authors I've read, Rothfuss probably has my favourite writing style. It's hard to describe, but for me, he could be writing about the most mundane things and it'll still be incredibly interesting.

The magic system of the world is really well thought out and goes into enough explanation so that you can actually understand how Kvothe pulls off some of his more impressive feats.

While the initial tone of the book is quite dark, I'd say it's actually a good deal brighter than ASOIAF. There's a lot of humor and Rothfuss doesn't usually linger on the more depressing events. The series also has a lot more mystery to it.

The Name of the Wind is probably one of my favourite books ever and I'd highly recommend giving it a shot. Especially since I too enjoy ASOIAF and also didn't really like The Wheel of Time series (though I stuck it out for 6 books before finally giving up).

Sep 13, 2009
Hawki said:
-Worldbuilding is minimal
While I don't entirely agree with the "Main character is a tool" bit, I can understand that.

This part I've got to adamantly disagree with. I recently reread the series and it's got a plethora of details in it. In addition, it does something that I really like and haven't seem much of anywhere else. Just about every story and tale you get from the past is unreliable. Some facts are true, some are false, and you get a lot of stories that seem to be about the same thing, but tell it from different perspectives. Some even outright contradict each other.

If I had to say anything about the worldbuilding, it's that it's minimalist. It doesn't dish out lots to you, but it gives you a lot to infer off of. The second book digs a lot deeper into the worldbuilding though, so you left a little early to get the bulk of it.

DementedSheep said:
Just like the other guy said, there's none of that in the first book. Later in the second book it gets a little bit (or a lot of bit) mary-sue-ish, and he sleeps around a lot, but you get the impression that this is just him jumping too hard into a world that he just discovered, and it bites him in the ass, hard (Not literally).

There's a lot of good in the series. Like, a lot that's very good. The first book is pretty solid all around, and the second book has some of my highest and lowest points for the series. I'd say it's well worth reading. As I mentioned earlier, it's got some very interesting storytelling, it's got some funny moments, and it's got some interesting characters. It's got a very atypical romance, in a good way. And no love triangles.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Kontarek said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
He even looks like the bastard child of Georgie R.R. and John C. Reilly.
Fixed that for you.

The premise for this sounds pretty intriguing. Can anyone here recommend these books? I love ASOIAF and haven't been able to find a series that really lives up to it. Like I tried Wheel of Time but it's just so arduously slow and I don't care about any of the characters except Perrin.
If you loved ASOIAF and are looking for something comparable the best bet is probably Joe Abercrombie, starting with his first book The Blade Itself of the First Law trilogy.

Synopsis:

Book One of The First Law
?The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.? ? Homer

The Blade Itself, UK PaperbackLogen Ninefingers, infamous barbarian, has finally run out of luck. Caught up in one feud too many, he?s on the verge of becoming a dead barbarian, leaving nothing behind but some bad songs, a few dead friends, and a lot of happy enemies.

Nobleman, dashing officer, and paragon of selfishness, Captain Jezal dan Luthar has nothing more dangerous in mind than fleecing his friends as cards and dreaming of glory in the fencing circle. But war is brewing, and on the battlefields of the frozen North they fight by altogether bloodier rules.

Inquisitor Glokta, cripple turned torturer, would like nothing better than to see Jezal come home in a jar. But then Glokta hates everyone: cutting treason out of the Union one confession at a time leaves little room for friendships. His latest trail of corpses may lead him right to the rotten heart of government? if he can stay alive long enough to follow it.

Murderous conspiracies rise to the surface, old scores are ready to be settled, and the line between hero and villain is sharp enough to draw blood. Unpredictable, compelling, wickedly funny, and packed with unforgettable characters, The Blade Itself is fantasy with a real cutting edge.

A little less epic in scope, but a very similar character POV style with no real good guys or bad guys.

Actually if you want a preview they started adapting it as a web comic a few years ago, though it's only partway through the first book and has long been on hiatus. Good way to get a primer for the series though: http://www.firstlawcomic.com/

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
rodneyy said:
there has been something going on with WoT rights? i dont really keep up with that side of things with books. hope noting half formed gets pushed out of a door just out of spite.
Well the company holding the rights to an adaption of the series has done absolutly nothing with it. Earlier this year the right would have expired, but the company pushed out a horrible, horrible "first episode" of a tv series out a day before the rights would have expired and got to keep the rights. The "first episode" aired basically at midnight on an unknown channel, because they knew it was sh*t and just wanted noone to actually watch it. But it's on the internet now and WoT fans are not pleased.

You can read up on it here:
http://io9.com/the-real-story-about-that-wheel-of-time-pilot-that-aire-1684773094

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
Amaror said:
rodneyy said:
there has been something going on with WoT rights? i dont really keep up with that side of things with books. hope noting half formed gets pushed out of a door just out of spite.
Well the company holding the rights to an adaption of the series has done absolutly nothing with it. Earlier this year the right would have expired, but the company pushed out a horrible, horrible "first episode" of a tv series out a day before the rights would have expired and got to keep the rights. The "first episode" aired basically at midnight on an unknown channel, because they knew it was sh*t and just wanted noone to actually watch it. But it's on the internet now and WoT fans are not pleased.

You can read up on it here:
http://io9.com/the-real-story-about-that-wheel-of-time-pilot-that-aire-1684773094
thanks for the info.

thats all rather sad but guess thats what happens when you put a load of sociopaths and lawyers in charge of creative works of art.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Rothfuss is a joke, his prose are rather good but his story telling and characters are all lacking in both depth and personality. I know why he's having such a hard time finishing the books. It's because he has no idea how to deliver on all the promises he's given his fans.

I expect his tv show and movie to be sword of truth quality given the material any directors/script writers will have to work with.

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
Azahul said:
noobiemcfoob said:
Wow... I've never heard, seen, felt, smelt or even tasted anything but glowing reviews for The Kingkiller Chronicle. In the circles I run in, Rothfuss is nothing short of a literary genius with the fantasy genre. You can see proof of his skill in how quickly his popularity rose following the publishing of Name of the Wind. The guy skyrocketed out of nowhere and now shares panels with the best despite having only published 2 books, a novella and a short story. I honestly don't know how to react to someone *not* liking his work.

Anyway, I can't recommend Kingkiller Chronicle enough. Read the blurb on the back of Name of the Wind and if that doesn't describe a character you want to see moving through the world, then maybe it's not for you. The books outright tell you everything that will happen to the protagonist, both how amazing he will be and how sad and miserable he'll become despite it, and then makes you want to read the story anyway.

/Just my 2 cents.
//I love his beard.
///I love his voice more ^^
I can attest to the beard and voice being awesome though.
I agree with how annoying the accounting is. The amount of time Rothfuss dedicates to adding up the pennies is irritating.

Also, his beard may be awesome, but his voice is not. This is coming from a British person - he has the most bland American accent. When you said you love his voice, I went and looked up an interview on youtube... not impressed. Bring me a writer who sounds like Jeremy Irons, and I'll be impressed. :D

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
Hawki said:
Oh, and I'm glad someone's mentioned Mistborn. Only read the first installment so far, but it's a book I highly recomend.
I second this and highly recommend you read the other two books in the trilogy. If you want good world building, Mistborn Trilogy has got it.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Verrik said:
Hawki said:
Oh, and I'm glad someone's mentioned Mistborn. Only read the first installment so far, but it's a book I highly recomend.
I second this and highly recommend you read the other two books in the trilogy. If you want good world building, Mistborn Trilogy has got it.
And Sanderson's big epic series The Stormlight Archives (book 1: The Way of Kings, book 2: Words of Radiance, book 3 due next year and 10 planned in total) is even better! Except for the sake of this discussion it's way to big to fit in a movie and would be way to expensive to produce for TV.

Right now Sanderson is my favourite fantasy author surpassing GRRM, the guys still young and just a machine at writing. Love the way he worked his way up, started with a good standalone novel Elantris, then moved on and really established himself with a modest sized trilogy in Mistborn, and after that now that he's a famous author he starts working on the big 10 book epic series he'd been planning from the start. Now there's no need to compromise with book 1, the Way of Kings is a full sized 1000+ page epic with top notch production value. It's the only series I go and buy the full hardcover copy of just for the great artwork.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Verrik said:
Hawki said:
I've bought the second book, just haven't got round to reading it yet. The last fantasy novel I read was First King of Shannara, which has not only put me off Terry Brooks, but the fantasy genre as a whole right now. Taken a detour with The Martian, but whether I plough into another fantasy novel so soon is another matter. That, and I'm actually reading the novelization of Pacific Rim.

Yes, you have a right to raise an eyebrow.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
CrimsonBlack said:
I agree with how annoying the accounting is. The amount of time Rothfuss dedicates to adding up the pennies is irritating.

Also, his beard may be awesome, but his voice is not. This is coming from a British person - he has the most bland American accent. When you said you love his voice, I went and looked up an interview on youtube... not impressed. Bring me a writer who sounds like Jeremy Irons, and I'll be impressed. :D
Huh, you're right. The beard is still awesome. I had a vague memory of having heard him with this deep, booming voice, but that clearly isn't him.

Weird.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I'm one of the few people I know who detested these books. It's a testament to the story telling that I still want to finish the trilogy, but I found the characters and pacing absolutely abysmal. Yes, I know how contradictory it sounds. Clearly, the story is doing something right, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what that is. I've never spent so much time on a series I disliked so much.

Personally, I feel the best thing that could happen to the books is a good editor. Carve out nearly 50% of the first book, and 30% of the second, and adjust the finale of book 1 to tie-into the main story, and I think it's a much better product. Still, best wishes to the IP, I hope that the switch to a different medium will finally make me a fan!