The Needles: Beakiez: Casual Gets Hardcore

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Needles: Beakiez: Casual Gets Hardcore

What happens when the man who programmed Doom gets involved in a casual bubble-pop game? Cute little Beakiez die horribly, that's what.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe...now that does look fun! An uncanny combination but one that seems to work!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jaredin said:
Hehe...now that does look fun! An uncanny combination but one that seems to work!
There really is more to it than just the usual "this game is different" marketing noise. I had a terrible time at about the halfway point of the demo, just could NOT beat it, until after dicking with it on and off for two goddamn days, I sat back and thought about it for awhile. Came up with a strategy, put it into action, and blam, I was on my way. You really cannot worry about the beakiez, or just start popping bubbles wildly, and expect to get very far.
Le_Lisra said:
Interesting.. but for the most part its really just "I disagree".
With what?

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Heh...quite simply due to marketing issues, I have a gut feeling that it won't last much longer.

Which is a damn shame really. I can relate with the problems they have (of not being casual enough to just be accepted by the portals that usually do so and of not being hardcoar enough for Steam. That made me chuckle!), it reminds me of a band I was part of and we kept being told that we couldn't get any of the bigger gigs, because we were too alternative, while the indie pub owners also didn't think we were 'indie' enough. :D

I guess it just shows...doing truly your own thing is always gonna be hard as hell. Here's to hoping Beakiez survives at least. It probably won't, but it'd be a shame to see it go I am certain, just going by this description heh.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I gave it a try, and it's definitely entertaining. I liked how the physics interacted, with detached bubble sections swinging around and ricocheting into others.

I probably wouldn't buy it though, at least not for the PC. Despite of the humor and the nice touches, it's still another bubble-popping game, and if I'm on my PC I'm looking for something with a bit more to it. I think their best market would probably be cellphones - if it were portable, I'd definitely consider it as a twisted little time-killer.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I found it excellent, the exciting concept of forcing you to ignore saving the cute animals to complete the level is a new one and it's a genuine challenge to break the habits of a gaming lifetime, on top of that, there's the physics going on, meaning you're not just pinging bubbles at a static level.

I really hope Steam rethink it, tho maybe there's more to it, after all they're got enough Popcap and Bigfish games.