The Needles: Crash Course in IP Enforcement Strategy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

The U.S. Government has just unveiled its first-ever strategy for intellectual property enforcement. Here's what you need to know.

Read Full Article

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said at a Washington D.C. press conference announcing the strategy. "Clean and simple. It's smash and grab. It ain't no different than smashing a window at Tiffany's and grabbing [merchandise]."

Get it right people. There's a difference.

Anyone else tired of the US trying to make everyone else in the world like the US? Because it's getting kinda annoying.

Funny thing here America. If China and England called in their debts on you Right Now There wouldn't be an America anymore. Just something to think about when you try pushing everyone else around.

I don't care what you do in your own borders, but it stops at the border.

*Edit
Can people stop quoting me? It's getting seriously annoying I get that "New Message" icon every 5 minutes. Besides almost everything in reply has been said/spoken already.

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
dududf said:
U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said at a Washington D.C. press conference announcing the strategy. "Clean and simple. It's smash and grab. It ain't no different than smashing a window at Tiffany's and grabbing [merchandise]."

I'm pretty sure the article itself acknowledged that calling it stealing wasn't absolutely technically correct. Instead of trotting out that old horse pirates keep beating why not adress the meat of the article.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Kanodin0 said:
I hit enter and posted prematurely.
That can be taken out of context far too easily.

I edit my posts a lot some times as I post before I'm done saying what I intended to say. I blame the ' key being next to enter.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
If the U.S. government thinks that it can tell other countries what to do then it has the same sense of entitlement as the piracy-engaging "youth."

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
dududf said:
Kanodin0 said:

I edit my posts a lot some times as I post before I'm done saying what I intended to say. I blame the ' key being next to enter.
Fair enough. As to your expanded point I partially agree, the U.S. does attempt to order other countries too often. However I don't see any real problem on imposing trade restrictions on countries that won't go along with copyrights, it's not a direct order so much as fair leveraging.

Nov 5, 2007
Look, I agree with what they are doing but don't fuck with Canada.

Feel free to fuck with pirates though, they're kind of assholes.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Kanodin0 said:
dududf said:
Kanodin0 said:

Fair enough. As to your expanded point I partially agree, the U.S. does attempt to order other countries too often. However I don't see any real problem on imposing trade restrictions on countries that won't go along with copyrights, it's not a direct order so much as fair leveraging.
"Don't agree with our rules, or we'll remove one of your largest sources of income, and remove the jobs of millions of people"

Seems like bullying to me.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
75% of US exports are IPs. Almost half of our economy is IP, of course the Government wants to protect it.

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
dududf said:
Kanodin0 said:
dududf said:
Kanodin0 said:

"Don't agree with our rules, or we'll remove one of your largest sources of income, and remove the jobs of millions of people"

The U.S isn't required to trade with any state, why should it then give it's business to a state that won't cooperate with copyrights? You can talk about how that hurts the country in question, but that hypothetical country doesn't have some right to U.S. trade on any terms it likes.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Kanodin0 said:
dududf said:
Kanodin0 said:
dududf said:
Kanodin0 said:

The U.S isn't required to trade with any state, why should it then give it's business to a state that won't cooperate with copyrights? You can talk about how that hurts the country in question, but that hypothetical country doesn't have some right to U.S. trade on any terms it likes.
I'm not saying they have a right. I'm saying that the leverage they have could severely frig up a countries economy to all hell if they don't agree with something.

"Don't like what we're doing, say good bye to your economy" is what it looks like. Yeah I know they don't have a right, but that doesn't make it "right" to force countries that rely on the states so heavily to do as the states wish. THAT'S what I'm trying to say.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
dududf said:

As the article says, though? Does it matter if there's a difference, if the government, the ones making the laws, say there isn't one? You can argue until your tongue drops off but you're still comitting a crime (defining 'crime' as 'something against the law' rather than 'something fundamentally wrong').

I don't pirate, but the music industry only woke up to the modern 'sell a song by a few bucks' model after it was pirated to hell, so even if I agree in high theory with these laws, I don't think they'll be any good. But my main beef is that the victims are huge corporations. The government should help people; huge corporations can defend themselves.

BboyTeddyBear

Mar 8, 2010
interesting. seem the gov is doing a lot with the net. rumors of a internet kill switch also going to be covered at all on escapist?

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
The strategy document also acknowledges that while "the most frequently cited" numbers were based on 2007 estimates by the Institute for Public Policy that piracy cost the U.S. economy $58 billion in total economic output and over 373,000 jobs, other submissions questioned those figures, claiming they were based on the "unsubstantiated assumptions" that each pirated good represented a lost sale and that jobs lost in one industry weren't replaced by jobs in another.
I wish someone would do a research on how many pirates actually buy the game, even though they pirated it, and how many would buy it, if they couldn't pirate it. $58 bill. is a shitload of money, even if only 5% of that were true loss, it would be a lot of money.

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
Oh now I get it, you are arguing morality while I am merely arguing practicality. All I will say beyond that is that international politics is a cutthroat business, and don't think your country wouldn't do the same thing given the opportunity. Quote tree messed up somehow and was thusly removed.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Kanodin0 said:
Oh now I get it, you are arguing morality while I am merely arguing practicality. All I will say beyond that is that international politics is a cutthroat business, and don't think your country wouldn't do the same thing given the opportunity. Quote tree messed up somehow and was thusly removed.
I was looking at that going..Huh?

But yeah I'm kinda arguing morality here.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Iron Lightning said:
If the U.S. government thinks that it can tell other countries what to do then it has the same sense of entitlement as the piracy-engaging "youth."
Agreed. Every country is different, and, will run things different...the US cannot think it can enforce its policy on everytone else through strong arming...its just wont work

Tom Roberts

Mar 1, 2010
I'm wondering just how evenhandedly those rules on copyright infringement/IP theft will be applied.

China is certainly one of the main offenders but can you honestly see America going "I'm sorry, but until you sort out these legal issues to our satisfaction we won't be engaging in Trade with you."

When the obvious response by the Chinese is then "OK, since it doesn't really affect us anymore if your economy goes through the porcelain bowl, we'd like our usual trade deficit to be paid in the form of all those loans. Dongyi."

Basically I figure the old adage of 'At your feet or at your throat' will apply.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:

The U.S. Government has just unveiled its first-ever strategy for intellectual property enforcement. Here's what you need to know.

Read Full Article
I'm interested that in your mention of Canada as a part of the 301 report, you didn't make any reference to Canda's own Bill C-32, introduced last month as the "Canadian Copyright Modernization act" to bring us in line with that report.

A bill which guarantees canadians an awesome number of rights to use technology and media we buy the way we want, and which shields us from overly-punitive damages in civil cases.

... and which then throws all those rights out the window by making it illegal to circumvent any kind of manufacturer-included DRM, copy protection devices, or digital locks.

-m