The Needles: Don't Blame Canada

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Needles: Don't Blame Canada

Thanks, Yanks, but our copyright laws are doing just fine without your help.

Read Full Article

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I'd be willing to bet that most Canadians who pirate games do so from American websites anyway. Is there any difference between the software we buy in Canada, vs. the software available in the U.S.? (I mean of course apart from the French translations.) Because most DRM is dependent on the software, and we use the same "NTSC" configuration.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Finally, some reinforcements on the copyright front! Now all we need is NAFTA too fail and we're in the clear!

Mojojuxxy

Dec 9, 2009
The 301 report is a joke anyway, it's always been a regurgitation of what the recording/pharma industries have wanted. Even USTR employees don't take the thing seriously.

darklink259

Jan 5, 2009
American here: I am disappointed in my country's copyright laws, to be frank. A lot of them make little sense, and so many are obviously the result of intense lobbying. It's really annoying when business interests matter more to your country than individuals' rights. I'm sure that this happens to an extent in other countries also, but it still ticks me off.

darklink259

Jan 5, 2009
Donnyp said:
Remember Their Copyright laws are worth more then our Humanity laws....or however that went. I live in Canada and we have laws to keep people out of Movie theaters with cameras. Does the states do that. I dunno but a lot of cam rips come from the states i assume.

Off Topic: the only thing i hate more then a yank telling me whats good for me is when one says i have an accent or speak "Canadian" when they say Buddy and Eh more then me.

I'm pretty sure we have laws against movie recording in a theater. I used to work in a movie theater, and we were told to report anyone recording. Honestly, though, it would be fairly easy for someone to sneak in a camera. They would just have to conceal it in a bag or something.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Nice to see Canada sticking to it's guns.

Over here in the UK, we tend to roll over when the US barks...

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
I'm in support of the pirate parties in around the world. They are legitimate political parties lobbying for a copyright reform. The laws are too strict, not too lax, and they should be changed. I'll believe the government is sensible and the country is free when it's legal to download music without money being involved, when data is a right.

Apr 28, 2008
darklink259 said:
American here: I am disappointed in my country's copyright laws, to be frank. A lot of them make little sense, and so many are obviously the result of intense lobbying. It's really annoying when business interests matter more to your country than individuals' rights. I'm sure that this happens to an extent in other countries also, but it still ticks me off.
Same here. And the sad part is that most Americans just don't give a damn about this, yet the whole of the U.S. will still be yelled at for it...

darklink259

Jan 5, 2009
Cain_Zeros said:
Goddamn Yanks just can't handle us being different can they?
I hope you realize that at least some Americans (like me) are actually disturbed by the actions of our country. Canada is definitely in the right, here. The problem is that the US probably won't have any useful copyright reform for a while, as the government is controlled by business. :(

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
While I can see the point of the article, and agree that the US copywrite laws are too tough, but I get the feeling that Canada would act a bit differently if they were the ones producing all the entertainment products that were getting pirated.

darklink259

Jan 5, 2009
Nurb said:
While I can see the point of the article, and agree that the US copywrite laws are too tough, but I get the feeling that Canada would act a bit differently if they were the ones producing all the entertainment products that were getting pirated.
The government itself does not produce the products at all.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Once again, America does not have a say in what other countries do. If they have a problem with it, well, tough luck. And ooohhhh nooooo! Canada is on a bad list! For copyright laws, the most important laws in the world!

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
I'm sorry, but the only interesting thing I got out of this is that there is a stereotype the Canadians hate Toronto?

Wtf? I mean, sure the Leafs suck and all, but why Toronto? I'd figure that someplace in Quebec would get the hate...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Rainboq said:
Finally, some reinforcements on the copyright front! Now all we need is NAFTA too fail and we're in the clear!
Home freeee~

jobu59749

Aug 3, 2009
I'll blame Canada, not for any specific reason, just cuz I'm American and I can....alienating other races and cultures one country at a time.