The Needles: Don't Blame Canada

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Shynobee said:
I'm sorry, but the only interesting thing I got out of this is that there is a stereotype the Canadians hate Toronto?

Wtf? I mean, sure the Leafs suck and all, but why Toronto? I'd figure that someplace in Quebec would get the hate...
We don't hate Quebec, they hate us.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Shynobee said:
I'm sorry, but the only interesting thing I got out of this is that there is a stereotype the Canadians hate Toronto?

Wtf? I mean, sure the Leafs suck and all, but why Toronto? I'd figure that someplace in Quebec would get the hate...
... because Toronto is as American as a place can be in canada without actually being in America.

-m

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
Shynobee said:

... because Toronto is as American as a place can be in canada without actually being in America.

-m
Basically this.

Quebec hates the rest of Canada, not the other way around. (ie. Quebec Referendum)

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Shynobee said:

It's a Western Canadian thing and it's because Toronto tends to have a "Center of the Universe" attitude. For example you mention the Leafs, as a Canadian I can tune into a national broadcast of Hockey Night in Canada, and the whole thing is all about the Leafs.

for a deeper meaning you have to look at politics. Where the US is strongly divided between the liberal/conservative gong show, in Canada it's simple a matter of East vs West. A federal election can be won entirely on Ontario and Quebec, so we usually get federal governments that strongly represent these two provincs while Western issues get the shaft.

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
-Drifter- said:
Shynobee said:

We don't hate Quebec, they hate us.
I see..

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
Shynobee said:

-m
Makes sense... considering I'm American and the only Canadian city I've been in is Toronto.

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
RandV80 said:
Shynobee said:

It's a Western Canadian thing and it's because Toronto tends to have a "Center of the Universe" attitude. For example you mention the Leafs, as a Canadian I can tune into a national broadcast of Hockey Night in Canada, and the whole thing is all about the Leafs.

for a deeper meaning you have to look at politics. Where the US is strongly divided between the liberal/conservative gong show, in Canada it's simple a matter of East vs West. A federal election can be won entirely on Ontario and Quebec, so we usually get federal governments that strongly represent these two provincs while Western issues get the shaft.
I can honestly say that I was not expect such a deep answer for such a simple question.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Andy_Panthro said:
Nice to see Canada sticking to it's guns.
The closest thing we have to a gun in Canada is a hockey stick painted to look like one.
Matt_LRR said:
Shynobee said:

-m
Funny, I always thought Alberta was the America of Canada, specifically Calgary.

OT: Hmm, It's like that big nice kid who stands up for the weak. Thank CCIA, we appreciate you doing what our government refuses to.(You know, grow balls and man up.)

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
No, Alberta is Canada's deep south. Oil, conservatism, cowboys and Christians as far as the eye can see.

Totonto is just big, grey, and dull.

-m

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
No, Alberta is Canada's deep south. Oil, conservatism, cowboys and Christians as far as the eye can see.

Totonto is just big, grey, and dull.

-m
I must say, you are really helping clear up my Canada misconceptions.

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
Shynobee said:

-m
Pa-lez, if I took someone that doesn't know anything about borders/sovereignty, they wouldn't be able to tell apart an American city from a Canadian city at all. Our "cultures" are exactly the same. (I'm a Canadian that visits the states regularly btw)

stone0042

Apr 10, 2009
I just want to comment on the fact that the US team beat the Canadian hockey team by 2 goals. Quite the upset.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Sightless Wisdom said:
I'm in support of the pirate parties in around the world. They are legitimate political parties lobbying for a copyright reform. The laws are too strict, not too lax, and they should be changed. I'll believe the government is sensible and the country is free when it's legal to download music without money being involved, when data is a right.
Out of interest, when you do a day's work, do you expect a day's wage?

OT - Nice one Canada! If you stand up to the US, maybe they'll stop telling us in the UK what to do, too?

It's not gonna happen, but it'd be nice...

L9OBL

Jul 20, 2009
but out yanks we have "less" laws then you do but they're more effective and the fact that the backdoor is legal for us canucks using fair use is the foothold for my machinima production if me and the actors need a certain addon or what not for our games so we can get the certain map pack or what not then instead of all of us dropping 15-20 dollars canadian we split the pice equally and one guy buys the add on and the rest download with his account on their system and and limewire is leagall up hear as its "sharing" and a tpp which both are illegal down in the states. i don't have 200$ a year to buy copyright free music to make my profit free entertainment. so you yanks can screw off with your ristrictive laws that don't even work.

p.s. have you thought that maybee the reason we arn't "upping" our copyright laws is cause you're telling us to?

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
L9OBL said:
but out yanks we have "less" laws then you do but they're more effective and the fact that the backdoor is legal for us canucks using fair use is the foothold for my machinima production if me and the actors need a certain addon or what not for our games so we can get the certain map pack or what not then instead of all of us dropping 15-20 dollars canadian we split the pice equally and one guy buys the add on and the rest download with his account on their system and and limewire is leagall up hear as its "sharing" and a tpp which both are illegal down in the states. i don't have 200$ a year to buy copyright free music to make my profit free entertainment. so you yanks can screw off with your ristrictive laws that don't even work.

p.s. have you thought that maybee the reason we arn't "upping" our copyright laws is cause you're telling us to?
Yes, and I see where you're going with this but it's irrelevant. This is a matter of philosophies not economics.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Nalesnik said:
Matt_LRR said:
Shynobee said:

-m
Pa-lez, if I took someone that doesn't know anything about borders/sovereignty, they wouldn't be able to tell apart an American city from a Canadian city at all. Our "cultures" are exactly the same. (I'm a Canadian that visits the states regularly btw)
There are so many things wrong with that assertion I don't even know where to start. (Also as a canadian that travels a lot). If you're from the T.Dot, I could understand, but if you're from just about anywhere else in this country, I'm baffeld by your claim.

Most American cities have a significantly different feel from Canadian ones, and the effect is even more prnounced in smaller towns. It's not something I can describe or define per se, but put me in any given town and I could tell you in an instant what side of the border it's on based solely on how it feels.

The comment about canadian and american cultures being "the same" is patently false, and any canadian creative-type would agree. We import a lot of our media - but our *culture* is very distinct.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Huh I was pretty shocked Canadians sound so much like Australians... we get along fine with the yanks for the most part but dig our heels in when we're told what to do, then it's "BUGGER YOU!!!" regardless of what the actual issue is. People hate being ordered around, especially if the person or country in question is far far from perfect.

My father is a farmer, he also served in the ADF (Australian Defence Force) and saw action in Vietnam alongside American troops, he has many a good word for Americans, yet once when I was out on the farm back a few years ago we were watching the late news while drinking a few beers, and my American friendly father, and grandfather (who severed alongside American's in WWII and Korea), started yelling at the TV about where "the yanks" could stick their trade policy.

It seems the American trade rep in talks with Australia started ripping on Australian trade policy regarding our farming industry and how it was "unfair" to Americans... all the while America has one of the most protectionist trade policies in the western world protecting their farmers from any form of competition, the sheer hypocrisy made my father so angry he forgot about all the good will he normally had to America.

And oh god, don't even start me thinking about what he said about American's position regarding the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme), at the time I swear he was ready to invade New York on his own.

Advise, Negotiate, but never never order, it just pissed people off. America already has a rep as being arrogant overseas, throwing their weight around is the last thing they should be doing, all it does is make people who might be interested in talking and making a deal more obstinate.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
L9OBL said:

You know that canada doesn't actually have a fair use provision in our copyright law, right? That, in fact, our rules in that regard are significantly more restrictive than those in the states?

-m