The Needles: The Witcher 2 Interview

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Needles: The Witcher 2 Interview

CD Projekt Red Senior Producer Tomasz Gop talks about the future of The Witcher: Sharper story, better combat and, yes, plenty of sex.

Read Full Article

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I hope they adopt a fable like combat system because I loath point and click systems these days....there is no interaction with the PC you just sit there and click...its mind numbing.....

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
The trailer was certainly interesting, and I can't wait for the game to be released.

Currently working my way through the first Witcher, and I'm glad the combat is getting an overhaul in the second game. While I can manage the combat pretty well, it does get a touch annoying at times and is the bit I enjoy least in an otherwise excellent game.

For those wanting to see the trailer, they have it over at gametrailers or the Witcher official site [http://www.thewitcher.com/].

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
God I am excited for this game. Playing the witcher is still one if the best game experiences I've had and I hope this India even better. Personally I'm glad the sex element is getting changed as the first one was pretty childish. Last thing I'm hoping for a the morally grey choices from the first

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
I hope they adopt a fable like combat system because I loath point and click systems these days....there is no interaction with the PC you just sit there and click...its mind numbing.....
Did you play the original Witcher? It had a timing-based combat mechanic; fairly simple, but still more involved than "click and wait for them to die" MMO-style combat. The sequel seems to have the same style.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
All this sounds like good changes to me, sounds exciting. Now I just hope the last boss fight won't be as easy as in the first game, and that we'll have the opportunity to choose whether to fight or join the bad guy. Unless the story takes a non-conventional turn at some point, rendering the above moot.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Grampy_bone said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Did you play the original Witcher? It had a timing-based combat mechanic; fairly simple, but still more involved than "click and wait for them to die" MMO-style combat. The sequel seems to have the same style.
Yes and the "click for moar" thing was one of many things that annoyed me, you got little to no bonus for trying to dodge switching between styles was annoying(Jade empire did it better) and the magic/item stuff just got silly with being over complicated not to mention the menu system sucked.

Its probably the best daiblo clone to date but good god the implementations killed me.

I would die a happy death if they went in the direction of fable IE smooth hits,targeting,blocks, special moves and spells.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Looks like they really listened to what people didnt like about the first one and actuallt did something about it. Nice to see them taking the feedback well.

Looking forward to how it turns out on release!

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
The books were just awesome, but I did find the difficulty curve on the combat to be less than fun.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Its probably the best daiblo clone to date but good god the implementations killed me.
...what? I assume you've played both The Witcher and Diablo, but I can't really reconcile that statement in my mind. There's way too much plot and way too little loot for it to resemble Diablo in any way other than very superficially in combat. I'd call it the best BioWare-style RPG made by anyone other than BioWare (and better than some BioWare made, but that's another story). Besides, the best Diablo clone is Titan Quest. Heh.

Anyway, I'm excited for this. One of the few RPGs I'm really looking forward to, because even though the original has its flaws, I can't help really liking it anyway for the things it did do right.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
Grampy_bone said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Yes and the "click for moar" thing was one of many things that annoyed me, you got little to no bonus for trying to dodge switching between styles was annoying(Jade empire did it better) and the magic/item stuff just got silly with being over complicated not to mention the menu system sucked.

I would die a happy death if they went in the direction of fable IE smooth hits,targeting,blocks, special moves and spells.
Well to be fair, the Fable 1 combat stunk (even Molyneux admitted it) and Fable 2 was pretty much "Mash A to win." In The Witcher there was incentive to switch styles in terms of fast vs. strong enemies, dodging was important for the stronger opponents, and the later combo hits did vastly more damage (once they were unlocked). Calling it a Diablo clone is wrong; it wasn't a roguelike, it didn't have complex stats or equipment, random levels, monster spam, level grinding, etc.

And Jade Empire didn't do anything better.

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
I thought the first one was awesome, can't wait to see how this one is gonna turn out. Hopefully it won't be such a spec hungry monster either. Some of the later scenes with all the flaming wreckage actually made my computer crash! And this isn't even a slow computer!

The sequel has a lot to live up to but I'm sure they won't disappoint :)

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
ZippyDSMlee said:
Calling The Witcher a Diablo clone is just... wrong.

OP: this is the first place I found out about the sequel and now I'm really looking forward to this. ^^
There is lot of room for ironing out the flaws from the original so considering how much I loved it, the sequel should kick major ass.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I'm really psyched up for this. I'm really glad they're cutting the useless running all over the place. Sending us off on multiple ten-minute treks across the countryside isn't really a good way to tell a story. I'd also say that the moral ambiguity in it was peerless. Not even BioWare's stories matched moral shades of gray like The Witcher. Choices that I thought were good at the time only turned out to backfire at the end of the game- VERY BADLY. And I loved it.

"Can they make those love scenes replayable...please?"

-The single thought running through the minds of those desparate nerds who play The Witcher just for the sex.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
The sex in the Witcher was embarrassing but, as there were cards to collect, I felt compelled to get "laid" as much as possible. I'm glad that they are getting rid of the cards and, hopefully, they mean it when they say it?s not as juvenile (doubt it will be handled that maturely though).

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
mexicola said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Calling The Witcher a Diablo clone is just... wrong.

OP: this is the first place I found out about the sequel and now I'm really looking forward to this. ^^
There is lot of room for ironing out the flaws from the original so considering how much I loved it, the sequel should kick major ass.
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
...what? I assume you've played both The Witcher and Diablo, but I can't really reconcile that statement in my mind. There's way too much plot and way too little loot for it to resemble Diablo in any way other than very superficially in combat. I'd call it the best BioWare-style RPG made by anyone other than BioWare (and better than some BioWare made, but that's another story). Besides, the best Diablo clone is Titan Quest. Heh.

Anyway, I'm excited for this. One of the few RPGs I'm really looking forward to, because even though the original has its flaws, I can't help really liking it anyway for the things it did do right.
*sigh*
The core of the gamepaly is dungeon crawl basically the same formula as Dungeon siege and Daiblo only with timed clicky click combos(which batman:AA dose better) and some poor dodging mechanics, this "R wut" makes the game a daiblo clone or a Crusader clone if it was more RPG than blowing stuff up.... .

Fable and even Jade empire has a more fluid combat system, the witcher felt half baked where as they were fun if not limited. The witcher did not find a good balance between action and tedium, I enjoyed having more control over the character in Jade empire(which is better than the mass effect series gamepaly wise...tediousness aside.) and Fable.

The witcher needs to go in a direction where you can dodge,block and do combos and spells in a more fluid manner than the witchers dice roll based manual shifting system..... its cumbersome and questionably implemented much like its menu system....

Now overall The witcher winds in story and writing while I enjoy fable more......damn its shallow in comparison and the d clones are worse in that regaurd but I always chose fun/game mechanics over story and character. *sigh* I miss the days of code breaker and game shark....at least with them I can fix a bad to mediocre(most games now) games flaws and enjoy it..........*sigh*