The New Batman v Superman Trailer Has Wonder Woman and ... Humor?!!

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Ugh, I can see Jesse Eisenberg's voice getting annoying very quickly. It's like he's trying to mimic the crazy wackiness of The Joker but can't quite match the presence or the charisma needed to be that level of villain.

Also, Batman's voice modulator is silly sounding and they should've just used Ben Affleck's real voice.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Okay, the Wonder Woman entrance was boss.

The rest? Mostly "meh" to "annoying."

ShakerSilver said:
So they're still pushing for SUPERMAN VS BATMAN even though they ended up showing that yes, they will resolve their differences and team up to fight the big bad, making their conflict effectively useless?
It's a comic book movie, so...what part of that confuses you?

I think most people already presumed they'd be fighting Lex Luthor or some threat created by Luthor, too, so the only thing surprising about this is the specifics. I mean, with the subtitle "dawn of justice," an upcoming Justice League movie and plans to franchise the hell out of this, did anyone expect a decisive fight?

Samtemdo8 said:
As to the forced "Humor" I think you can blame the people complaining that Man of Steel was too serious and lacked any humor. If no one complained then they would not add lines like that in the movie.
If our only options are bleak and grim or Johnny Depp as Jim Carrey, then you can't blame the reactions. Clearly, there is a world of options between being humourless and bleak and being annoying. Unless you're a bad writer.

I mean, if that's how you want to rationalise this, fine. But bad writing makes for a poor defense of a movie.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
I honestly just can't get over how Batman is gonna effectively fight Superman.
Simple. He's not. You mention the animated version, and Supes already says in this trailer that Bats should give it up because if he wanted to, he'd have killed him already.

It's a child raging at a god.

Darth Rosenberg said:
what the feck is Jesse Eisenberg doing? is that acting?!
I don't know...seems like Joker and Alfred are the only ones even trying to act in the trailer.

And yes, I know he's supposed to be Lex. But he's not.

Shoggoth2588 said:
..Did Batman have a gun at the end there?
I think he was just happy to see me.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I was surprised by how expressionless Wonder Woman looked. I assume she was meant to have a stoic "I'm ready to battle!" look on her face but there was nothing there.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Something Amyss said:
Okay, the Wonder Woman entrance was boss.

The rest? Mostly "meh" to "annoying."

ShakerSilver said:
So they're still pushing for SUPERMAN VS BATMAN even though they ended up showing that yes, they will resolve their differences and team up to fight the big bad, making their conflict effectively useless?
It's a comic book movie, so...what part of that confuses you?

I think most people already presumed they'd be fighting Lex Luthor or some threat created by Luthor, too, so the only thing surprising about this is the specifics. I mean, with the subtitle "dawn of justice," an upcoming Justice League movie and plans to franchise the hell out of this, did anyone expect a decisive fight?

Samtemdo8 said:
As to the forced "Humor" I think you can blame the people complaining that Man of Steel was too serious and lacked any humor. If no one complained then they would not add lines like that in the movie.
If our only options are bleak and grim or Johnny Depp as Jim Carrey, then you can't blame the reactions. Clearly, there is a world of options between being humourless and bleak and being annoying. Unless you're a bad writer.

I mean, if that's how you want to rationalise this, fine. But bad writing makes for a poor defense of a movie.
Of all things I am not defending its Lex Luthor in this movie. I mean personally I never wanted Lex Luthor in a new movie because he is too overdone at this point. And what can he do against man this early in the lore? I never asked for Luthor being a comedian.

Also I want to lay it on the ground and say that I do not think Man of Steel is this Misunderstood Masterpiece because even I know that movie is flawed.

I think "Amy Adams?" is a terrible Lois Lane, she just does not look like Lois Lane to me she looks some 16 year old college girl with a crush on Superman. At least Jesse's Lex Luthor has an identity and makes a whole different kind of character, Amy's Lois is just nothing. She's just "love interest number 1"

Hell I hope they ship Superman with Wonder Woman than have him with Lois. The New 52 shipped them.

And I think the whole Jesus imagry was a bit silly. I mean how on the nose can you get with the Catholic Priest sequence.

But there were things I did like. I think the Kryton opening was great. I think the flashback sequences had good moments. Zod was great in this movie. I still think Henry Carville is a decent Superman.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
I never asked for Luthor being a comedian.
But you are placing the blame on others for bad writing.

Let me be clear her: the problem comes in at the hands of the people who actually produced the movie. The writers, directors, producers, executive staff, actors, etc. They were not only free to ignore any complaints about lack of humour but I dare say if this is the best they can do, they should have. The problem is, the writing was bad in MoS and the writing is bad here. This doesn't bode well for the movie, unless this turns out to be an ad-lib by Eisenberg.

Do I judge the movie based on a couple of lines? Well, sort of. I gauge my interest in a movie based in part on the material that shows up. The Force Awakens, for example, has me hyped but cautious due to the level of nostalgia advertising. I mean, yeah, I like the OT, but I wonder if they're trying to hide stuff about the new movie.

Civil War was a trailer that happened. I think the only reason I'm going to have any hope for that movie right now is that I liked the first one and really liked the second.

This? Well, I have to admit. Wonder Woman's entrance was cool enough that for a few moments I was really hyped. Alfred's dialogue sounded good. And that was about it.

And at that point, I am left asking "is this really the best you've got?"

Admittedly, it's not all writing. I think I might have liked that Psychopath line if not delivered by Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. But that was also a deliberate choice. Not only to lead with that in the trailer, but to use that take in the first place. To go in that direction.

I think "Amy Adams?" is a terrible Lois Lane, she just does not look like Lois Lane to me she looks some 16 year old college girl with a crush on Superman. At least Jesse's Lex Luthor has an identity and makes a whole different kind of character, Amy's Lois is just nothing. She's just "love interest number 1"
See, I don't think anyone really stood out in MOS. At best, Cavill looks nice in tights and if he puts on the right kind of glasses he can sort of remind people of Christopher Reeve. And that's the guy they're building the franchise on. Adams not seeming like Lois is a pretty good fit for a movie that didn't seem like a Superman movie.

Actually, it seemed like a Superman movie from the time when people thought the Daredevil movie was a good idea.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Something Amyss said:

Actually, it seemed like a Superman movie from the time when people thought the Daredevil movie was a good idea.
As in Superman Returns? Didn't people back in 2006 bashed the movie for not having fight scenes at all? Its was all just saving people and boring dialoge? I mean if you thought Man of Steel was comepletely bleak and serious Superman Returns chalks it up to eleven.

Anyway. Another issue of Man of Steel I hope BvS would fix is giving Superman more to say and do. Because he rarely talks in Man of Steel.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I couldn't take Wonder Woman seriously in this trailer. She just looks so out of place and awkwardly trying-too-hard.

Hope she isn't like that in the whole movie.