The New Black Gold and Brothers of The Creed

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
The New Black Gold and Brothers of The Creed

These songs didn't go quite according to plan.

Read Full Article

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I didn't say this when it first came out but I knew within about 1 second that New Black Gold was going to be awesome. I was right.

Anyway I like this column for 2 reasons. 1) as a non-artistic person I really like hearing how artistic people tic. 2) an article to read at work on Wednesdays, hurray!

Also apparently you are multiple people

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Great article once again, always looking forward to these :)

Until it was pointed out, I hadn't noticed anything controversial about the 'white hood' line. Some people are too quick to see connections to things. The context is completely different, and it's not like something so nebulous as a particular-colored hood is completely representative of a certain group.

Also, New Black Gold was amazing, and easily the best of your songs in my opinion.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
This article had ENTIRELY WRONG TEMPO AND VOICE I'm amazed you could fail so badly after answering questions so well last time.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I like seeing you approach feedback and criticism, it's just a shame that so much of it is as thoughtlessly put forward as some of those examples. It's hard to give a great answer to a bad question.

I absolutely adore The New Black Gold and while I think your original sounds interesting, you really hit perfection with the final version. I'd love to hear a song about Metal Gear. Not even a particular game, just the series itself.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
To be fair to Brothers of the Creed, the first time I listened to it I wasn't entirely sold. Musically I love it because it fits the style of the first game where everything really took off, but I really had to listen to the lyrics a few times because that's where I had a few problems with it. Eventually I got that it's not about the characters but rather the overall theme of the game. After reading this I totally see why you did this and it now all makes sense. I guess it was something I wasn't expecting.

With New Black Gold, I love that song, and I could hear Nine Inch Nails in it. I think that song fits perfectly with the setting of the game.

Maybe you could talk about Zombie Holiday...? I'm just a little curious to know about the details of that song.

I really love these articles, keep 'em coming!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Brothers of the Creed has to be one of my favourite MOS songs (no suprise I guess with my avatar) it's overall theme works and it's nice to see someone approach the games from a different angle
Thanks for the music Gav!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I actually have one criticism that seems appropriate now after the talks of repetition. Almost every song (if not all of them) you've released recently has exactly followed the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus structure. This is more something that bugs me rather than something that you're doing wrong, though.

Also, do more things like Beauty Bleak. Lots more things.

Apr 28, 2008
So, you said kill for good in you're white hood with no intention of it being related to the KKK, and people flip.

But with "black gold" you're referencing slavery of Africans, another huge issue, and nobody seems to care.

Heh.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Brothers of the Creed has grown on me a little since I first listened to it (and the whole KKK thing must be the stupidest piece of criticism I have ever encountered. Even if you've never played Assassin's Creed you can see on the fucking music video that it's just a reference to the Altair/Ezio's clothing!) I still think I would have preferred it to be less rocky and more in keeping with the music in the OST's of the games, particularly Assassin's Creed 2, but I still wouldn't call it 'bad' by any means.

It took me literally weeks to get New Black Gold out of my head, and I mean that as a compliment :)

Edit: Oh yeah, suggestions. How about a retrospective on all 3 Gears songs you've done so far? Maybe tell us what keeps you coming back to the Gears games for material, do you just really like them, or is there another reason?

Belzera

Prinny Puncher
Apr 14, 2009
I really liked Brothers of the Creed, I thought it was a very good song about the over arching story of series, again like a couple of other commenter's I don't really get the whole KKK thing and some of the other comments did seem stupid at the end of the day I thought that there was nothing wrong with the song or the lyrics at all, but then again its all just my opinion and yeah I liked the New Black Gold [although I prefer Brothers of the Creed funnily enough.]

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
If not for the songs and talent alone, it's the way you handle the critisism that makes me love ya gavin. I laughed and agreed quite a few times on the Creed song despite being one of those who critisized it.

OT: SOOOO happy to hear your planning on more AC songs :D happiness!!!

OT OT: Could you possibly announce when the new CD's come out? Specificly the one that has these two songs on it :)

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
Saints Row the Third, it has super awesome ost, I mean the menu songs aka Initiation Station soundtrack.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Irridium said:
"black gold" you're referencing slavery of Africans, another huge issue, and nobody seems to care.
I always thought it meant oil. Maybe because I'm an Amurrican in Tayxehs, but whatever.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Didn't really see anything to hate in the AC song, i found it just not suiting my music taste. But damn, that Deus EX one... bloody brilliant, that's what it is. Love it.
Also, these are pretty interesting to read, looking forward to the next one.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
It's either New Black Gold or Commander Shepard for the greatest song from MOS (in my opinion). I just can't decide which one is better.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Because the music industry is a giant pile of festering, stinking dogshit that is slowly eating itself from the inside with regurgitated, autotuned X-factor contestants stuck to its shitty teeth.
I couldn't agree with you more.

albinoterrorist

Jan 1, 2009
KKK? Seriously, you guys, seriously?

Jeez. Way to project your fears, white middle-class America.
I'm sure if you pretend to be on their side they won't try to secede into a black nation any time soon.

Moving out of the 60's back to rational discussion, however, I frankly enjoyed both the songs.
More than Zombie Holiday and The Grind, certainly.

Your voice is just too melodic for screaming metal, I feel.