The new black guy in Final Fantasy XIII

minoes

Aug 28, 2008
So you created the thread without seeing him first?

And why can only "white guys/girls" use guns?

N.K

Aug 19, 2008
He looks pretty cool actually. And he's got a baby chocobo aaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Mizaki

Dec 4, 2008
Avida said:
Am i the only one thinking this is awesome?
No, I think it's awesome too. It's just a shame that if you make a black person look like a black person, suddenly it's an offensive stereotype. Seriously, it's better than if he looked like Blade or Sisqo. Or if he had just.. brown skin and features like an anime character. That would be lame.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
You can't really claim the Japanese are racist. They have little contact with African's or African American's. Plus they love Afro's. Least its better then another girlie man character. Dun-cha-no? Also, Afro's are awesome, if I could have an Afro, I would.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Anyone notice the irony in so many people saying that this new character better not be a stereotype. Surely statements like that are stereotyping the creators of the game?

Aiden Rebirth

Nov 19, 2008
minoes said:
So you created the thread without seeing him first?

And why can only "white guys/girls" use guns?
yes. because ign didn't have pics.

and 2 i never said they could i wass just givingg the description ign gave me.

Mizaki

Dec 4, 2008
Hold up guys, before this thread goes any further, think about this:

If the sight of a black character with an afro automatically triggers a racially feuled response, who is the racist here?

Aiden Rebirth

Nov 19, 2008
Mizaki said:
Hold up guys, before this thread goes any further, think about this:

If the sight of a black character with an afro automatically triggers a racially feuled response, who is the racist here?
is it wrong to expect a character that berates, and demeans a whole race? my race?
Is it wrong for a man who has seen so much ingnorance coming out of a culture to expect more of the same?
Is it wrong for me to try and anaylze one of my favorite series that has already sterotyped my people?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
In all fairness, japanese are quite stereotyped by most of Europe and US, so I guess it's the "Who is without prejudice should cast the first stone" ;)

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Avida said:
Am i the only one thinking this is awesome?
It sounds pretty funny. I can understand how some people would find it offensive, but I just think it's funny. The fact that he's black doesn't even get me. Just the afro and the chocobo living in it. Oh, and I guess the gun-arms since Barret was cool for that...

I think most players, white, black, whatever, will just see him as the comic-relief psycho. And they'll like him anyway. Granted it's a stupid stereotype but maybe it's supposed to be?

_Serendipity_

Jun 15, 2008
Whilst I don't think that we can call Square terribly racist from a picture, I must say that I can't think of a single Black anime/manga character that wasn't a massive stereotype.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a single American, Brit, German or any other non-Japanese that wasn't a stereotype either...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
ace_of_something said:
I have never met a black person with a fro quite like that...
Surprisingly, I have, four of my friends from Sixth Form looked just like that. Crazy thing was, only two were related (although they were the ones who had afro's about twice the size of the one above)

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Man, that character looks wicked, you just know he's going to have great one liners. I personally can't wait.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Well, you know how it is. The fans said they were getting sick of effeminate young boy characters, so Squaresoft reacted the only way they knew how: with a black guy.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Actually, thinking about it, Balthier and Cid in FFXII weren't really stereotypes. That is, they were old style British stereotypes (i.e. posh and rich with a really droning British upper-class accent), but if you come over here now the new stereotype is pregnant teenager and knife crime hoodie wearing yobs...

Just my two cents (or should that be pence? I'm not American, after all)

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Trivun said:
but if you come over here now the new stereotype is pregnant teenager and knife crime hoodie wearing yobs...
They got that angle covered [http://www.mobygames.com/game/nintendo-ds/world-ends-with-you/cover-art/gameCoverId,119882/].

(At least if you apply the likely influences of marketing - pregnancy wouldn't sell, and throw on a bit of that trademark Square-Enix veneer by applying some cuteness and replacing the knives with inexplicable powers, and viola: perfect fit.)

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
Richard Groovy Pants said:
JaguarWong said:
I can not believe the ignorance on display in this thread.
Enlighten us, oh mighty master.
he likes like a mix of Irvine form FF8 and Barret FF7 no use of offence, but the look is barret but the cloth style scream Irvine, and both of them use guns also Irvine had a thing for animals.... hmmm i think i am onto some thing

LiquidForce

Sep 5, 2008
Who's the black private dick
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
(Shaft!)
You're damn right

Who is the man
That would risk his neck for his brother man?
(Shaft!)
Can ya dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's danger all about
(Shaft!)
Right on

That's how cool he is :D