The new black guy in Final Fantasy XIII

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
A black character in a game? Whatever next? Women getting the vote? Gee willickers. And there are plaenty of Western games with stereotyped macho black characters, like Gears Of War.

Mizaki

Dec 4, 2008
Aiden Rebirth said:
Mizaki said:
Hold up guys, before this thread goes any further, think about this:

If the sight of a black character with an afro automatically triggers a racially feuled response, who is the racist here?
is it wrong to expect a character that berates, and demeans a whole race? my race?
Is it wrong for a man who has seen so much ingnorance coming out of a culture to expect more of the same?
Is it wrong for me to try and anaylze one of my favorite series that has already sterotyped my people?
ooo it's party time

1. No. However... It may be justified emotionally, but it is still irrational. The only the thing that people are worked over about is his afro, which is just.. gasp.. a hairstyle. Just like short brown hair and stubbly beards are also just hair.

2. Have you ever heard of ethnocentrism and nationalism? Besides, alot of cultures are ignorant to other ones due to only seeing them on televisions. Even within their own country. That's something they can't help. If they were not seperate and homogenous, they would not be cultures, now would they? Cultures make fun of eachother, and even themselves. If you cannot take that, I'd suggest finding a new planet.

3. EVERYONE gets stereotyped. Even white people. Did you know that? Or are you obsessed with only stereotypes and caricatures of your own race? Hmm.

You haven't answered my question. Nice job there, you just helped fuel my point.

Aiden Rebirth

Nov 19, 2008
Mizaki said:
Aiden Rebirth said:
Mizaki said:
Hold up guys, before this thread goes any further, think about this:

If the sight of a black character with an afro automatically triggers a racially feuled response, who is the racist here?
is it wrong to expect a character that berates, and demeans a whole race? my race?
Is it wrong for a man who has seen so much ingnorance coming out of a culture to expect more of the same?
Is it wrong for me to try and anaylze one of my favorite series that has already sterotyped my people?
ooo it's party time

1. No. However... It may be justified emotionally, but it is still irrational. The only the thing that people are worked over about is his afro, which is just.. gasp.. a hairstyle. Just like short brown hair and stubbly beards are also just hair.

2. Have you ever heard of ethnocentrism and nationalism? Besides, alot of cultures are ignorant to other ones due to only seeing them on televisions. Even within their own country. That's something they can't help. If they were not seperate and homogenous, they would not be cultures, now would they? Cultures make fun of eachother, and even themselves. If you cannot take that, I'd suggest finding a new planet.

3. EVERYONE gets stereotyped. Even white people. Did you know that? Or are you obsessed with only stereotypes and caricatures of your own race? Hmm.

You haven't answered my question. Nice job there, you just helped fuel my point.
1. yes it's early to pass judgement, however i'm just using the info we have now which is very limited, and i can tell you it's not looking that good.
2. yes i have. still doesn't make it right.
3. yeah i know, still doesn't make it right, and I'm mixed race (black mom, white dad.) so I look at all racism, my good sir.

don't get me wrong being politically correct is bullshit but so every other way to look at it. to answer your question, I never said square was racist, I just believe they and all japanese people have esqued visions of black people.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Kukul said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
He'd be better without that goddamn afro, it makes him look like a stereotype. Other than that he looks fine.
WTF? If I was black I'd totally have a sweet afro.
What's wrong with that?
To be honest?

It's because it's flat on top, that makes it look strange to me.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Kukul said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
He'd be better without that goddamn afro, it makes him look like a stereotype. Other than that he looks fine.
WTF? If I was black I'd totally have a sweet afro.
What's wrong with that?
If I was black I'd have long bleach white hair o_o That would look so awesome. Im talking dark black, Nigerian-esque. The fun I could have had if only I had slightly different skin pigment.

VoleurdeThym

Jan 1, 2009
Shakespear said:
Barret in FF7. Black as well. Only without the afro. He had a bloody gun, none the less.
The pirate leader in FFXII was also black, although I don't think nyone else played far enough into the game to see him.

He was pretty kickass- there MAY have been pink pant involved.

Edited for link-
http://image042.mylivepage.com/chunk42/1878457/1501/Reddas.jpg

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
afros tend to be worn by africans. that's where the name comes from. japan also seems to have a fascination with afros that transcends race, which i will probably never understand.

just look at the guy, you can tell he definitely wasn't influenced by any american stereotypes. i just hope he isn't fruity.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
He doesn't look like a stereotype to me. If anything, his appearance made the phrase "Black Richard Simmons" spring to mind.

Point being, a black guy in Final Fantasy doesn't mean he's automatically a stereotype. Of course, I could be proven wrong the instant he's given a line of dialogue, but I'm willing to give Squareenix the benefit of the doubt.

Eiseman

Jul 23, 2008
I think that afro looks silly. It's a weird shape. Digging the trenchcoat though, with its massive buttons.

Well this should be cool. Not only have they got a chick for the main character instead of their typical blond dude, they've got a cool black guy too. This'll be a real breath of fresh air, I think.

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
dude, in FF7 the like only black dude had guns for arms - GUNS!! that's not very PC is it.

So what there's a unique guy and he's black. don't make a fuss about what the Japanese have made a black guy as.

For fucks sake it's people that patronize ethnic minorities that really piss me off - admittedly I do have a slight anger problem and get raged easily (once stabbed a friends hand with a pen because he called me a ****** I think) but some things are just too much for me handle. I wish I hadn't read this thread now

Lord_Coinage

Jan 15, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
But then where would he keep his chocobo? It'd fall out of his pocket.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
VoleurdeThym said:
The pirate leader in FFXII was also black, although I don't think nyone else played far enough into the game to see him.

He was pretty kickass- there MAY have been pink pant involved.

Edited for link-
http://image042.mylivepage.com/chunk42/1878457/1501/Reddas.jpg
Looks Asian to me.

Just to clarify, when we're saying "Black" here I think they're specifically referring to characters that resemble an African American descent.

As to why we're making a big deal about it, I can only assume we're idiots.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I can't say there's anything wrong with this character. Its too early to see if they put any heavy stereotyping in but he looks like a cool character.