The New Dark Souls Trailer Has Jolly Music And Giant Wolves

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The New Dark Souls Trailer Has Jolly Music And Giant Wolves

The new Dark Souls trailer introduces players to a world of unpleasant beasties.

Any idiot can tell you that Demon's Souls [http://www.amazon.ca/Atlus-DS-00132-3-Demons-Souls/dp/B002AB7TX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314044603&sr=8-1] was hard - and they frequently will - what they don't talk about, is how inventive the game was when it came to difficulty. It wasn't just punishing, it was actively and creatively malevolent [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6527-Review-Demons-Souls], like an eight-year-old frying ants with a selection of different magnifying glasses. Demon's Souls' spiritual (hoho) successor Dark Souls seems to be following in its predecessors footsteps, at least if this new trailer is any indication.

There's a great degree of inventive cruelty going on here; set to a particularly catchy little tune. We've got a giant wolf, armed with a sword, of course. A giant flaming spider. A dragon with a pointy stick - just in case it gets tired of, you know, burning people to death. At one point we're shown a raven the size of a small airliner followed by what appears to be a giant lobster covered in skulls. A sklobster, if you will. If Demon's Souls is anything to go by - and developers From Software have mentioned that Dark Souls is going to be harder than its forebearer - these creatures will probably run the gamut from merely frustrating to breakdown-inducing. Joy.

Dark Souls arrives on PS3 and Xbox 360 on October 4th.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Yay, not only can I get murdered by regular dangers the game provides, but also by giant animals as well!

Huzzah!

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
With every new trailer I'm starting to believe that From Software wasn't bluffing. I'll just start writing my will.

Dec 14, 2009
I love the ideas at work here.

'How do we make a giant wolf more terrifying?'
'Give it a giant fucking sword?'
'Perfect.'

This game is gonna be awesome.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Ugly game, poorly made trailer, good song.

I haven't played it and I don't know much about either game, but why is this a spiritual successor? Its the same developer, with the same gameplay (it looks like), and it certainly looks like the same world.

Mxrz

Jul 12, 2010
These trailers are killing my resolve to wait for a black Friday deal. Good grief. If Amazon does their $10-$20 pre-order credit thing, I think I'm done for.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Bad Moon Rising by Creedence would've been a better fit.

Still, Dark Souls October 4th, WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
I feel robbed, the trailer promised partial nudity but there was none. Not even side-boob. Sad face =(

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Unless Dark Souls steps away from excessive grinding to allow your character a shot at holding their own in the later levels, no thank you.

It's one thing to be hard; it's quite another to force players to keep replaying those teeth grinding bits to beat the game.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I love the ideas at work here.

'How do we make a giant wolf more terrifying?'
'Give it a giant fucking sword?'
'Perfect.'

This game is gonna be awesome.
I lol'd.
Woodsey said:

I haven't played it and I don't know much about either game, but why is this a spiritual successor? Its the same developer, with the same gameplay (it looks like), and it certainly looks like the same world.
Because Sony owns the IP. Which means they can't make a sequel, so they made a sequel but called it a spiritual successor.
OT: Loved the sklobster! And the game seems good, the trailer... Meh?

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
RejjeN said:
Come on From Software! PC RELEASE NAAAOW! QQ
Trust me. You don't want From Software doing PC titles. They have done one console port to the PC, and that was Ninja Blade. I am having a hard time trying to describe the shittiness, it's so bad. If you thought the console-to-PC port of From Dust was bad, Ninja Blade.... screw it, I give up. All I can say is that this particular developer should stay as far away from the PC platform as possible. And stick to this game and the Armored Core series (to me, that's all they're good for).

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Woodsey said:

Oh, I'm sorry that a dark fantasy game isn't pretty enough for you. It's a spiritual successor because it's not set in the same world and it takes elements of the other game. There will be no maiden in black, no demons and no Old One but it has a similar combat system (with changes to magic/miracles apparently). I don't understand why you're being so negative about this game when you know next to nothing about it or it's predecessor.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
theemporer said:
Woodsey said:

Oh, I'm sorry that a dark fantasy game isn't pretty enough for you. It's a spiritual successor because it's not set in the same world and it takes elements of the other game. There will be no maiden in black, no demons and no Old One but it has a similar combat system (with changes to magic/miracles apparently). I don't understand why you're being so negative about this game when you know next to nothing about it or it's predecessor.
Wow.

Let's take a step back. Deep breaths.

Now, can I see the moving picture box? Yes. Do I think it looks pretty? No. Do I think the images in the moving picture box are put together well? Not particularly. Did I like the song choice? Yes.

Those were the only things I commented on, two of which aren't even about the game itself.

I don't need to play the previous game and this one before I'm allowed to properly judge the visuals. Oh, and I don't need it to look pretty in terms of sunshine and lollipops, I just think that in both its art direction and its technical proficiency its not what I'd call a looker.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Good choice of music, I swear I heard that before or something similar to that song in another game trailer. Also was that a big wolf holding a huge sword with its teeth?

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
AgentBJ09 said:
Unless Dark Souls steps away from excessive grinding to allow your character a shot at holding their own in the later levels, no thank you.

It's one thing to be hard; it's quite another to force players to keep replaying those teeth grinding bits to beat the game.
When did Demon's Souls ever require you to grind? The only time I remember ever playing the same part over again was when I decided I wanted some extra grass for a particularly difficult boss. Was it necessary? No, but it did give me some more wiggle room in the fight.

The only way I could see grinding being required is if you were trying to brute-force your way through the game. By playing slowly and strategically, you can get through the entire game without ever needing to grind.