The New Doctor - Keep spoilers out.

Scully

Aug 8, 2009
the reign of tennant is over, long live King Smith and his saucy redhead!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I thought it was very good, very entertaining... But... I dunno, Matt Smith seems a little too like the old Doctor, you know? When David Tennant took over from Christopher Eccelston, there was a real leap in the character, and thats ok, cause the Doctor should be a completely different Doctor from the last one, yet... this time, it felt like it was just more of the same... small gripe though, overall it was pretty good!

edit: also, Doctors too young, bring back the good old days when he looked his age - about 900 years old!

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Baron Khaine said:
Doctor with a gun?
William Hartnell had a gun in the Gunfighters, Tom Baker used one to scare a giant rat, Peter Davidson shot a Cyberman in Earthshock (I think), and Ecclestone carried one in The Parting of the Ways. I'm pretty sure Patrick Troughton had one in The War Games and John Pertwee was more a dab hand at Venusian Karate.

Tennant's time got a bit out of hand with RTD genociding races left, right and centre.
Don't forget that Colin Baker massacred a bunch of Cybermen with one.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
Baron Khaine said:
Doctor with a gun?
William Hartnell had a gun in the Gunfighters, Tom Baker used one to scare a giant rat, Peter Davidson shot a Cyberman in Earthshock (I think), and Ecclestone carried one in The Parting of the Ways. I'm pretty sure Patrick Troughton had one in The War Games and John Pertwee was more a dab hand at Venusian Karate.

Tennant's time got a bit out of hand with RTD genociding races left, right and centre.
Thanks for the info, not old enough to have watched the old ones, need to go rewatch Parting of Ways to see Ecclestone with a gun for myself.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
he wasn't as bad as i thought but i'm not keen. i've only seen a few episodes (that includes the episodes with Eccleston and Tennant) and though Tennant was good (his eyes were creepy) they new guy i'm not too sure about. maybe he'll grow on me like Tennant did

Jul 23, 2008
This weeks episode was a bit too much of an introduction for me to pass any significant judgement. I'll wait until next weeks episode.

mr.machoke

Apr 3, 2010
tomtom94 said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
tomtom94 said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
In some scenes it was obvious he was copying Tennant which rather took away from the whole experience
If they're portraying the same character, there's bound to be some similarities involved.
Yes but when it went from Eccleson (is that how you spell it?) to Tennant there was nothing this blatant.
He takes some of what Tennant did but also offers his own moments. I personally think that it is perhaps possible to look too much into it - his job is to entertain and he did that.
That said, I'm waiting for him to do a proper "serious" scene, because that's the only thing we haven't seen yet.
you are right a serious attitude would complete this amazing act. i hope all episodes are as good as that one was.

Kill100577

Nov 25, 2009
i loved some of his quotes such as 'I'm Worse than everyones aunt' , ' If there are never any ducks how do you know its a duck pond' and 'I am DEFFINATELY a mad man with a box'

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
The new episode was awesome, I'm liking Matt Smith and especially the new assistant. It feels good to have some lesser known actors in the role, I think they handled it well.

Tennant got annoying after a while so him gone is a plus, the only thing I didn't really like was the new theme tune.

Also can't help thinking that the inevitable sexual tension between the doctor and assistant will be weird after he first met her when she was a little girl.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
every time prisoner 0 showed up in its true form i couldnt help imagining it was talking in a voice like the darkness

mr.machoke

Apr 3, 2010
Catkid906 said:
He's good, but sounds like David Tennant who's a little less anxious. If you only listened to him you would have thought it was Doctor Number 10 with a cold. New screwdriver, TARDIS will take some getting used to, and the assistant looks to be worthwhile-ish. But the new music is faaaar from good. Sounds like they let a drunken dog onto a mixing deck of something made by Basshunter.

Calumon: You should delete your internet history too Jack! :p
agree about the music it just dousnt work. not at all. my thought my little brother was torturing the cat!

mr.machoke

Apr 3, 2010
i have tried ''fish custard'' it is nice. i have also tried ''fries ice cream'' which is not so good.

Sensenmann

Oct 16, 2008
Shadow of The East said:
Acting was good, lines were great, plotline was crap.

That is all.
Well, I think this episode was not so much about the plot (rather unimaginative at points), but rather getting the audience used to Matt and Pond. Also it's nice to see that either the budget for Dr Who has gone up or they are making better use of it.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Don't like the credits and all that jazz, Matt Smith is pretty good, sidekick is ehem... attractive, and getting some serious Hitchhiker's Guide vibes too.

And Family Guy jokes.

The Bird Is The Word.

Octopusesgarden

Feb 15, 2010
The BBC is squeezing a pair of pliers over my balls.Matt Smith looks (and acts) like David Tennant but with a sideways chin and the tension was non-existant.
I'm looking forward to the future episode with the weeping angels.Last time they were on,they scared the shit out of me.

Sindre1

Nov 8, 2008
Sensenmann said:
Also it's nice to see that either the budget for Dr Who has gone up or they are making better use of it.
Apparantly, the budget has gone down. Financial crisis and all.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Hopeless Bastard said:
I get what you're all saying, as an actor, Tennant did well with the material, its just the writing on the show is completely subpar, even for doctor who. Mostly because all the writers are more concerned with shoving doctor/dalek shaped objects up their ass than actually writing half-decent science fiction.

Closest they came was that year one billion episode, but even that quickly degenerated into space opera.
Well yeah lots of people weren't very pleased with Russel T Davis, main writer of the Tennant era. Some of his episodes were downright silly. However, this time around Moffat is calling the shots, and Moffat is awesome.
What he said. Seriously; Human Nature, The Family of Blood and Blink were bloody awesome.
Human Nature and Family of Bood weren't Moffat, that was adapted from a book, but the gist is right. After the disaster that was the last series of specials and the generally rubbish writing of the third and fourth series, that last episode was such a breath of fresh air.

I don't think Matt Smith is half bad and I can't wait to see where it all goes. Roll on next saturday!