The New PSP Is Go! This Fall?

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Ugh, "PSP Go!"? Seriously, if it's all digital, I'm already not buying it. And if there is no second analogue nub, I shall face palm so hard that it might just break my hand.

C'mon Sony, you can do better than this. ESPECIALLY with regards to the nub...

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Phenakist said:
To me it seems like Sony are just ripping ideas off the big N... again...
*Points to the DS-Store, Camera, Music Player, Picture Viewer, Built-In Web Browser, built-in RAM, SD-Card slot and Camera on the DSi* I'm pretty sure that the PSP all of those before the DS did.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
MarsProbe said:
A task at which it will likely fail at, due to its tragic misfortune of not being a phone.
If you want a phone, get a f**king phone! It's not meant to be a phone, it's meant to be a games console!

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Megacherv is right. If anything, Nintendo has been ripping off Sony for the longest time.

Of course, the Nintendo fanboys are too blind to see it.

Because if I remember correctly, they all complained how the PSP had so many features that didn't actually correlate to gaming.

Now the DSi gets them all and they praise it as a breakthrough. Hypocrites much?

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Megacherv said:
Phenakist said:
*Points to the DS-Store, Camera, Music Player, Picture Viewer, Built-In Web Browser, built-in RAM, SD-Card slot and Camera on the DSi* I'm pretty sure that the PSP all of those before the DS did.
I facepalmed when I saw that lol. His statement not yours.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Megacherv said:
If you want a phone, get a f**king phone! It's not meant to be a phone, it's meant to be a games console!
I'm just saying, as there are phones around these days that can carry out all the tasks I can imagine them wanting the new PSP to perform and I don't know about other people, but I'd much rather buy a PSP Go! to play games on. I'm not really interested in having a camera or satnav on my portable games console.

Let's just hope the new PSP has enough games support for it this time around.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
WrongSprite said:
WinterSoldier said:
No second analog nub? What?
Exactly why I'm not buying it.
The DS seems to do fine without any analog sticks, so I see no reason why the PSP must be so desperate for two.

I'm really getting sick of these rumours, can we just shut up about them already? I would really like to know the sources these people are getting it from to see how "reliable" they are.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Megacherv said:
Phenakist said:
Ok, lets see, Gameboy pocket had a camera, so unless the Psp has been out about.. 9 years or so? And I'm pretty sure I saw a music player of sorts on the GBA. DS has had all those things before the DSi, they just haven't been official Nintendo products, the DSi is Nintendo incorporating all these things so the average joe that buys one will feel 100% comfortable in buying it.

The Psp did do the whole hand held internet browser thing first BUT the DS does it so much better the touch screen (Nintendo's original design for a hand held games console)to use a touch keyboard and controls are far more efficient than spending 5 minutes typing "http://www.escapistmagazine.com" into your button navigated "keyboard" then another 2 or 3 waiting for it to load properly.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Jumplion said:
WrongSprite said:
WinterSoldier said:
No second analog nub? What?
Exactly why I'm not buying it.
The DS seems to do fine without any analog sticks, so I see no reason why the PSP must be so desperate for two.

I'm really getting sick of these rumours, can we just shut up about them already? I would really like to know the sources these people are getting it from to see how "reliable" they are.
The funny thing is...you don't NEED two sticks to play games. The ONLY genre that truly requires two sticks is the FPS genre..and really, there have been games on the system that have shown how you can work around it. That and big friggen whoop, we got enough shooters as it is, we don't need more. Anyone who complains about lack of dual analog needs to quiet down and rethink their argument because really...name any other genre that ABSOLUTELY needs it. And NO camera control doesn't count because that can be accommodated by good programming.

Also proof you don't need 2 sticks for shooters: Goldeneye, yea any and all rebuttals are moot unless you didn't like goldeneye.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Kinda bummed about the no UMD. So are all my old UMD's more or less useless on the new system? At $29-$39 each, I think I have close to $375 in games (thank goodness I never bought a movie).

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Phenakist said:
Megacherv said:
Phenakist said:
Ok, lets see, Gameboy pocket had a camera, so unless the Psp has been out about.. 9 years or so? And I'm pretty sure I saw a music player of sorts on the GBA. DS has had all those things before the DSi, they just haven't been official Nintendo products, the DSi is Nintendo incorporating all these things so the average joe that buys one will feel 100% comfortable in buying it.
Um, that's precisely why the PSP has done it before the DS. I'm sure you can find a music player for the Atari 2600, but that doesn't mean that it was supported by Atari. The PSP had music, movie, TV, and game playing all integrated into one system, all supported by Sony. Nintendo has not done any of that stuff until the DSi, and if they did they never fully integrated it.

One tiny camera that just happened to be on a GBA pocket does not compare to one system with 5 times the capabilities of it. You can argue that it's already happened with Cell Phones, but phones don't have a primary function for games.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Jumplion said:
Phenakist said:
Megacherv said:
Phenakist said:
Um, that's precisely why the PSP has done it before the DS. I'm sure you can find a music player for the Atari 2600, but that doesn't mean that it was supported by Atari. The PSP had music, movie, TV, and game playing all integrated into one system, all supported by Sony. Nintendo has not done any of that stuff until the DSi, and if they did they never fully integrated it.

One tiny camera that just happened to be on a GBA pocket does not compare to one system with 5 times the capabilities of it. You can argue that it's already happened with Cell Phones, but phones don't have a primary function for games.
Ok, the GBP did have a camera, and games to go with it, that makes it a "thing" it might not compare but the fact is Nintendo did it first, capabilites don't come into it, case closed.

Sony have a distinct habit of copying Nintendo and Microsoft and hardly do anything original themselves, this case isn't much different, they announce a Psp containing everything the DSi has, and when Nintendo do something they do it right, and don't need to rip other companies off.

Consoles need to develop with what comes out from them before new models come out, for example, GBA - GBA SP. GBA's screen was too dark, they went through to many batteries etc. on the SP they improve it because it was necessary.

Psp - Psp Go!. Lets copy Nintendo because we failed on the PS3 and make some money back.

Even if Sony did do these things "first", Nintendo perfected them first.

And whats up with the name... it sounds like something a 5 year old would come up with.

*waits for the go at "Wii"*

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
-Seraph- said:
The funny thing is...you don't NEED two sticks to play games. The ONLY genre that truly requires two sticks is the FPS genre..and really, there have been games on the system that have shown how you can work around it. That and big friggen whoop, we got enough shooters as it is, we don't need more. Anyone who complains about lack of dual analog needs to quiet down and rethink their argument because really...name any other genre that ABSOLUTELY needs it. And NO camera control doesn't count because that can be accommodated by good programming.

Also proof you don't need 2 sticks for shooters: Goldeneye, yea any and all rebuttals are moot unless you didn't like goldeneye.
Eh... I can see why it would help. I mean I hate to join the choir and all, but my first thought with Resistance Retribution was, "man, this would be really kick ass with a second analogue stick." Using the X, O, triangle, square buttons to look around is functional, but far from ideal.

About your argument that no other genre really needs a second analogue stick, I think, is besides the point. It's like saying that not every game uses the left shoulder trigger, so I think we'll just omit it the next time around. Honestly, at this stage in the game, there's no reason for Sony not to just include the damn thing. Even from a purely aesthetic point of view, the lack of a second analogue stick breaks the unit's symmetry. A second stick wouldn't even be obtrusive or a pain in the ass to deal with. It could only add convenience and versatility.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Phenakist said:
Sony have a distinct habit of copying Nintendo and Microsoft and hardly do anything original themselves, this case isn't much different, they announce a Psp containing everything the DSi has, and when Nintendo do something they do it right, and don't need to rip other companies off.
I know it was to Jumplion but seriously, "Announce a PSP containg everything the DSi has"? Nothing has been announced just a report from 1up that is from "sources" (a rumor) and this one makes no mention about a built in camera or touchscreen except that Sony's Mylo 2 has those two features.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Maet said:
Fair enough and I can see where your coming from. I just find it so damn annoying how people constantly complain about something that isn't entirely necessary. Quite frankly it doesn't bother me, aesthetic wise I could care less as I'm a functionality person. Really is the problem that bad but people can still go back and play their N64's and not complain?

I am pretty certain Sony will add stick numero 2 when the REAL PSP2 comes along, I think they have heard enough bitching to get the message. Adding it now for the current gen PSP would be an entirely STUPID move that would just fuck things up this late in the systems life though.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Phenakist said:
Ok, the GBP did have a camera, and games to go with it, that makes it a "thing" it might not compare but the fact is Nintendo did it first, capabilites don't come into it, case closed.

Consoles need to develop with what comes out from them before new models come out, for example, GBA - GBA SP. GBA's screen was too dark, they went through to many batteries etc. on the SP they improve it because it was necessary.

Psp - Psp Go!. Lets copy Nintendo because we failed on the PS3 and make some money back.

Even if Sony did do these things "first", Nintendo perfected them first.

And whats up with the name... it sounds like something a 5 year old would come up with.

*waits for the go at "Wii"*
My whole point was that Nintendo did little to support integration of media, Nintendo hardly "perfected" it.

I guarantee you, if the PSP wasn't as fierce of a contender as you people don't give credit for, the DSi would have these capabilities much later. the PSP has sold 50 million units, and just the fact that it's survived against the DS is more than enough reason for it to be considered a formidable opponent in the handheld market.

As far as I know, the PS2 was the first games console that fully intergrated two mediums, games and DVD movies. It's perfectly natural that Sony make the PSP a fully intergrated media player, Nintendo hardly even stepped foot into this kind of media.

You're giving Nintendo way to much credit for something they've never even done, the DS was never meant to be a media player it was meant to be a games console while the PSP is meant to be a good all'rounder. That's not bad, per se, but the PSP does multimedia capabilities 100x better than Nintendo will ever do because Nintendo is not a multi-media company. they are games first and foremost.

Just because Nintendo is the king of handhelds does not mean that they did everything "first". The PSP is a formidable opponent to the DS and I will guarantee you that if it wasn't for it's multimedia capabilities, the DSi's media stuff would have come much much later.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Maet said:
-Seraph- said:

Eh... I can see why it would help. I mean I hate to join the choir and all, but my first thought with Resistance Retribution was, "man, this would be really kick ass with a second analogue stick." Using the X, O, triangle, square buttons to look around is functional, but far from ideal.

About your argument that no other genre really needs a second analogue stick, I think, is besides the point. It's like saying that not every game uses the left shoulder trigger, so I think we'll just omit it the next time around. Honestly, at this stage in the game, there's no reason for Sony not to just include the damn thing. Even from a purely aesthetic point of view, the lack of a second analogue stick breaks the unit's symmetry. A second stick wouldn't even be obtrusive or a pain in the ass to deal with. It could only add convenience and versatility.
I want a second analog for games like Armored Core and Monster Hunter to be true to their forms on PS2/PS3. Having 2 more triggers would be nice too, now that I think about it...