The New Shiny Escapist

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
The New Shiny Escapist

Today we're revealing some big changes here on The Escapist, the most noticeable of which is a new look for the website. Culminating the last six months of hard work here behind the scenes, this revision not only creates a more beautiful and readable site, but also includes substantial new underlying technologies. This new tech facilitates easier navigation, more contextually relevant articles, greater social integration, and expanded user customization.

It was nearly three years ago that we made a similarly large change to the site. The layout changes, modularity and programmatic support that came with that redesign allowed us to change and grow the site naturally with the state of the industry, and to do so relatively efficiently. To have made it three years with the same overall design is a great accomplishment in its own right. However, to take us into the next three years and beyond, we must make sure to know where media is headed and what our users want of the site.

Our key mission was to improve and increase usability. Here at The Escapist we offer a huge amount of content that spans a broad range of subjects and formats, posing a substantial challenge for the site to present all of it easily and effectively. As our offerings grew over the course of the last few years, so did the need to more effectively display them. Our editorial team made fantastic strides in curating this content on the front page, updating throughout the day the stories that appeared in the features areas on the front and subsequent pages. But it simply was not proving enough, as our home page grew packed, even cluttered, with great new videos, features and breaking news. We needed better tools to manage these areas, to help users discriminate between types of content, and to let the stories themselves breath and flourish in the design.

So today The Escapist launches fresh and new, expanding on the previous site with a cleaner, more open design with features that will make it easier to find what is new, what is hot, and to explore our enormous archive of favorites. We received a great amount of feedback on the presentation of our content, and we listened. Some highlights of the changes you can see today on the site are:

More Open Design - We have added a lot of "air" to the site overall, whether on the front page or individual content pages.

Available Navigation - To better address finding our wealth of content we have created several new methods of navigating the site.

Dynamic Navigation Bar - We have completely revamped our navigation bar to be fully dynamic, constantly updating with the newest items with automatic user customization.

Sortable Displays - There are now even more sortable lists of content throughout the site, allowing you more fine grain control over list displays to find exactly what you want, whether it be by chronology or popularity .

Section Markers - All feature boxes now clearly display the type of content being shown with a section marker, linked to the appropriate feature section for quick access.

Information Boxes - Using our revamped tagging system, all relevant content clearly presents more information about the game title, franchise, publisher and similar related data so you can easily find more contextually relevant information.

New Content Sections - Also facilitated by changes to tagging, new sections are available to browse, such as the platform-specific pages now linked on the navigation bar.

We are excited to present the new site to you, but this isn't the end of the story of course. We have already received fantastic input from the Publisher's Club and implemented many of their suggestions. We look forward to your comments as you experience the changes and get comfortable with the new site.

We appreciate everything you, the readers, have done to make the site what it is today. This place would not be the same without your voice!

Thanks,
Greg Lincoln,
Vice President of Production

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Oh god, the video are crashing on me. It took forever to find the forums. Im sorry but this, is alsmost as bad as when gwaker redid their sites, but here the site actually takes longer to load.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
THEY CHANGED IT NOW IT SUCKS, RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE RAGE

Now that we've got that out of the way, I don't particurally like some aspects of the site change-I liked the old color scheme and feel a bit better. However, I very much like some of the options that the Escapist has added.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
First impressions: I hate it. But, as with every other website who changes their layout, I guess I'll grow more accustomed to it.

Also, and I'll attribute this to the site changing and whatnot, everything is loading super slowly.

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
Well obviously it was a bit of a shock at first and it'll take getting used to. But so far I'm liking it, well done escapist people.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Well the forums are raging pretty badly. I don't actually have any problems with the new layout, navigating and stuff is pretty simple...

My only problem is the list of consoles across the top, it just looks a bit out of place to me.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
It's too spread out as an interface, I feel like there is just a bunch of empty space in between points of interest in the site. The last interface was easy to view and navigate, where here I just feel lost. I know that it's new so you can expect someone to work their way around it in the first few minutes but it's much more difficult because of the way it's set up then just because it's new.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I knew one of these days you would change the apperances (well I'm still suprise that you pick today of all days to change it or is this suppose to be a Xmas present?), afterall no website can stay the same forever.

I like the new drop down menu and the open and close features but I suggest you could maybe tone down the white background abit?

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
I appreciate what you're trying to do, and I hope the new features will prove useful.

In the meantime however, please tone down the bright whiteness! I've got a headache after just the first few minutes. Add a background or something...

EDIT: Also, why do all my Escapist RSS feeds appear to have gone nuts?

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
Dango said:
Well the forums are raging pretty badly. I don't actually have any problems with the new layout, navigating and stuff is pretty simple...
Thank you for your kind words, benevolent stranger!

frozen_scarecrow

Aug 29, 2010
I'm willing to get used to a new site. You guys sound like it's been a lot of effort and it's for our benefit. Thank you for that. The only thing that I would have asked for was a heads up. I might not have seen it, but a letter from the editor a week or so in advanced would have been nice. Thanks for all your work and I look forward to seeing more of your amazing content.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
"Culminating the last six months of hard work here behind the scenes, this revision not only creates a more beautiful and readable site"

Say that one more time with a straight face.

The background hurt my eyes and the site looks messy and just plain bad.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
So far I don't particularly mind it, but then again I have only seen it for two minutes. Does seem a bit "cleaner" than the old one if that makes sense.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Sorry, not a fan. At all. I'm all for change, etc. etc., but this design is incredibly busy on the eyes. Why are the forums more marginalised? You have to scroll down to see the hot topics. Groups aren't as easy to access, either. I can't even find the groups portal.

The new design- the pale blue bars that head the sections- is in fact very busy on the eyes, and incredibly bright. It's just not very satisfying aestheticly.

Overall, this is a very, very disappointing change. The front page is cluttered, disorganised and takes forever to load.

Very disappointed.

EDIT: In case the staff is looking for proper feedback, I'll break it down:
- The colour scheme it unattractive- the pale colours are just, well, garish. The darker navy was better.
-The front page lacks any distinct dividers or visual cues to seperate sections. It looks cluttered.
-The bright white background is, well, too bright.
-The lag is incredible.
-The drop-down menus are nice.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Itsthefuzz said:
It's too spread out as an interface, I feel like there is just a bunch of empty space in between points of interest in the site. The last interface was easy to view and navigate, where here I just feel lost. I know that it's new so you can expect someone to work their way around it in the first few minutes but it's much more difficult because of the way it's set up then just because it's new.
Pretty much this for me. I don't like all the white, and I liked how the recent articles feed worked before, I don't like it so much now.

kiwi_poo

Apr 15, 2009
I just want you to know that I'm wearing sunglasses. it's 10 PM and i'm on the northen hemisphere, and I have to wear sunglasses. just thought you might want to know.
otherwise the layout is... well it worse than before, but could be a lot worse (as youtube demonstrated). If you change the colors back to the previous version I think I could live with this.
Otherwise, I'll either get used to it, or decide I'm fed up with internet companies fucking over their customers and see if I can find a better website somewhere. (fat chance)

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
Eh...I'm not the raging type, but I do think the new design is a little too open, to the point of being bland. The colors also seem a little too cool, but I suspect I'll grow accustomed to that particular change.

Other than that, I dunno. Something about it feels...too generic. Again, I might grow accustomed over time, but for now at least, it just feels like "a game journalist website" rather than "The Escapist".