The New Shiny Escapist

CezarIgnat

Jul 5, 2009
I AM CONFUSED! VERY VERY CONFUSED! WHERE AM I WHAT DO I PRESS WHERE BADGES AT?!?!?!?!

*confused and scared*

Ethring

Apr 3, 2010
Nasrin said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
But you didn't change the single most complained about problem: the background.
I'm simply refuting your claim that the feedback wasn't heard or responded to. It was, you're just upset that the thing you deem most important wasn't addressed in the way you wanted it to be. Hardly fair to say it's useless talking to us when, clearly, here we are, talking, trying to compromise.
Actually, I think the question is fair. Everything I've read seems to indicate that the two most common complaints are the background color and the horrible performance of the site. I'm not sure how anyone is responding to feedback from pubclub or anyone else, let alone trying to find any sort of compromise or solution if these two issues aren't the first addressed.

sam13lfc

Oct 29, 2008
Really looks a lot like someone's gone, "Facebook's successful, let's make it like that."

Hamhawk

Aug 31, 2009
I dislike the update. I used to be able to find the latest news and interesting articles right on the front page, now I see a whole lot of empty white space and to see the news I actually need to go to the news panel, which may, or may not load. The performance of the sight is abysmal. I think until the bugs are ironed out I will be visiting other sites for gaming information and since you do not support HTML 5 for videos for everyone I really have no reason to come back. Thank you.

photographerleia

Nov 9, 2011
I'd be okay with it, except it is sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww. It takes FOREVER to load anything. the overall look I don't mind though.

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
I don't understand the information design on the home page at all, and a lot of that is due to there being no proper grouping, labelling or consistency:

- What's the difference between the articles placed at the top, middle and bottom sections of the page? They aren't ordered by date. Content type, maybe? Popularity? Relevance? I can't tell without some kind heading, or at least a coherent grouping of content.

- Why do the 5th and 12th article stretch out across all three columns where the others only take up one? You've made them stand out, but why?

- Similarly, why do the last four articles need 1.5 columns worth of space when the rest had 1?

- Why have some stories been selected to be in the rolling banner? Are they latest/breaking news? If so, why isn't it labelled as such and why isn't the banner the first thing I see?

The whole thing is just confusing to look at. There's no focus, nothing that visibly helps organise the content or draws the eye, and it ends up looking incredibly cluttered as a result. Figure out what parts are the most important and then make them stand out.

I've got a myriad of other issues with the design, but that (to me) is your biggest problem.

lady man lady

Apr 1, 2011
The fonts look pixelated as hell and I would like to see some yellow to contrast the blue, I feel like that color belongs on this site. But I am glad to not see any menus that slide out as you move your cursor over them, I'm getting really annoyed with these "sleek designs."

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Coldster said:
Fair enough. This is exactly the answer I thought I might get. Thank you for confirming it. As for the other person...
IndianaJonny said:
TimeLord said:
Ah cool, that's fine then :)

I was worried that I was coming across as trying to sound superior over non-PubClub users. Which I obviously wasn't, because all PubClub users have been warned that using the PubClub as any kind of leverage or argument point is a no no, and oh god I'm doing it again xD
I'm just going to stop now, but thanks for understanding :)
No sweat. Thanks for contrabootin' and clarafiyn'.

Coldster said:
I have to admit, if the Publisher's Club members approved this, then I don't think they really care. No one is naive enough to not notice an aspect 98% of the people here are complaining about (the brightness). Sorry, but the facts are there to back me up.
Be reasonable; the PubClub could well have raised issues that the Escapist, in their better 'judgement', turned down in the end. The article makes no mention of 'approval' by the PubClub for the new format, only that they've taken on their 'feedback'.

There's no guarantee that they've implemented all the updates to this incarnation of the website yet, either. Just relax, and don't be so ready to paint bulls-eyes, Mr Facts man.

Not only are you unnecessarily aggressive, but also wrong. I never said it was the Publisher's Club members fault. Its not like they were the ones to make the change anyways. All I was saying was that I hoped it was brought up before this new layout was installed, since it is the most prevalent problem.
Take it easy, chum, and read my post again.

I asked you to "be reasonable" and to "relax"; no mention of blame, accusations or fault. You questioned the attitude of the PubClub guys (assuming their 'approval' of the new features) based solely on the outcome of this new format and I called you out on that.

I've read the responses from other escapists about that same comment of yours and they're also worded in defence of PubClub; that no such 'approval' was given. So why my comment attracted so much of your ire, I can't imagine. If you were fed up of hearing it already and 'Mr Facts man' was enough to tip you over the aggro-meter, then that's your problem Andrew, not mine.

You didn't pay attention to the wording of the article and assumed PubClub might be making life hard for you. You didn't read my wording either and assumed I was hell-bent on burying you in accusations. (Granted, intonation is a hard thing to pass through typed words) Nothing of the sort, chum. You seem a little too ready to see enemies around every corner - chill out. And that's my last word on the subject.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Meh... Not liking it. Opened up the website just now and saw it for the first time. Basically said "Oh HELL no!".

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I just don't like it atm.

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
I'll get used to it just like every other site that changes what wasn't broken in the first place (I'm looking at you, Facebook...), but I have to say it feels rather cluttered to me.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
So goddamn slow! And when it does finally load there's loads of stuff missing. I'd say a little more but I don't wanna waste too much time on a post that's probably gonna get eaten for the fourth time or so.

Really, why was such a drastic change necessary? Out of all the sites I frequent, The Escapist is the one site where I've never thought the layout/navigation/style could be done better.

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
Ethring said:
Nasrin said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
But you didn't change the single most complained about problem: the background.
I'm simply refuting your claim that the feedback wasn't heard or responded to. It was, you're just upset that the thing you deem most important wasn't addressed in the way you wanted it to be. Hardly fair to say it's useless talking to us when, clearly, here we are, talking, trying to compromise.
Actually, I think the question is fair. Everything I've read seems to indicate that the two most common complaints are the background color and the horrible performance of the site. I'm not sure how anyone is responding to feedback from pubclub or anyone else, let alone trying to find any sort of compromise or solution if these two issues aren't the first addressed.
Try and be a little patient with us, I know it may be difficult. We are working to address this.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
IndianaJonny said:
Coldster said:
Fair enough. This is exactly the answer I thought I might get. Thank you for confirming it. As for the other person...
IndianaJonny said:
TimeLord said:
Ah cool, that's fine then :)

I was worried that I was coming across as trying to sound superior over non-PubClub users. Which I obviously wasn't, because all PubClub users have been warned that using the PubClub as any kind of leverage or argument point is a no no, and oh god I'm doing it again xD
I'm just going to stop now, but thanks for understanding :)
No sweat. Thanks for contrabootin' and clarafiyn'.

Coldster said:
I have to admit, if the Publisher's Club members approved this, then I don't think they really care. No one is naive enough to not notice an aspect 98% of the people here are complaining about (the brightness). Sorry, but the facts are there to back me up.
Be reasonable; the PubClub could well have raised issues that the Escapist, in their better 'judgement', turned down in the end. The article makes no mention of 'approval' by the PubClub for the new format, only that they've taken on their 'feedback'.

There's no guarantee that they've implemented all the updates to this incarnation of the website yet, either. Just relax, and don't be so ready to paint bulls-eyes, Mr Facts man.

Not only are you unnecessarily aggressive, but also wrong. I never said it was the Publisher's Club members fault. Its not like they were the ones to make the change anyways. All I was saying was that I hoped it was brought up before this new layout was installed, since it is the most prevalent problem.
Take it easy, chum, and read my post again.

I asked you to "be reasonable" and to "relax"; no mention of blame, accusations or fault. You questioned the attitude of the PubClub guys (assuming their 'approval' of the new features) based solely on the outcome of this new format and I called you out on that.

I've read the responses from other escapists about that same comment of yours and they're also worded in defence of PubClub; that no such 'approval' was given. So why my comment attracted so much of your ire, I can't imagine. If you were fed up of hearing it already and 'Mr Facts man' was enough to tip you over the aggro-meter, then that's your problem Andrew, not mine.

You didn't pay attention to the wording of the article and assumed PubClub might be making life hard for you. You didn't read my wording either and assumed I was hell-bent on burying you in accusations. (Granted, intonation is a hard thing to pass through typed words) Nothing of the sort, chum. You seem a little too ready to see enemies around every corner - chill out. And that's my last word on the subject.
Yeah, we hate the background. It used to be completely white. We all complained in the PubClub thread. Of course, all they did was add a little gray gradient. Hardly a fix. So we had nothing to do with it. So don't hurt us.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Yeah, we hate the background. It used to be completely white. We all complained in the PubClub thread. Of course, all they did was add a little gray gradient. Hardly a fix. So we had nothing to do with it. So don't hurt us.
Kay, thought this might be the case. So you guys also said you hated it and they ignored you, right? But they made the 'parchment' style grey patchiness to 'cover' their bases.

So hey, we're at a day later now, any word on whether or not we're getting the old format back? Cause I'm really getting sick of this new layout.

gamer9302

Oct 24, 2011
good gravy i cant seem to get this sight to load half the time its a bit of a nustiances but i'll try to get use to it