The new wolfenstein game - annoyed by it?

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Does anyone else find themselves unable to muster any interest in the upcoming wolfenstein game?

From the trailers it looks like a well made FPS with high quality graphics and 90's shooter "whacky" guns to mix up the combat. All that looks fine even though I get the feeling there will be a clunk between cinematic sections and the corridor shooting.

My main problem is the story. While the basic idea of axis victory in WW2 is ok (if well used) the game appears to waste it by making the future a generic Orwellian dystopia and the Nazi's into cartoon characters who operate outside what logic even the really life Nazi's used. The recent "football" trailer makes no sense, if you want the Aryan race to be seen as superior you win the game by having better players, not by taking pot shots at the other side. And the cheap use of the holocaust just reeks off so much of the production.

But perhaps its just me and I just don't get the 1990's "shoot the Nazi" spirit this game is channelling. I'm all for less serious games and a move away from "ultra serious COD" but I'd also want real events to be treated with at least some respect

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Last Wolfenstein game i played i really enjoyed so i'll happily play another. But i couldn't give a rats arse about story or other such pointless things...i play games for gameplay! Story isn't hardcore enough for me :p

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
From what I've seen of the trailers, the story isn't supposed to be taken seriously in the slightest, no matter how much the narrator wants to believe...

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I can think of fewer subjects that are treated with more respect than the Second World War. I believe that nothing should be above parody, however I have not seen anything as of you to suggest that this is what the developers are trying to do. When the game is released, we shall have our answers on that front [https://24.media.tumblr.com/a16f75ac9838fb85d734ba4edbc0ca2d/tumblr_n190v0rDar1qzcv7no1_500.jpg]. So far, the tone of the game seems to veer from serious to comical with frequency.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I won't claim they need to be serious but things did turn from the previous silly vibe to full blown Nazi circus, maybe the end product will not be completely like that but it has recently become very fashionable for games to go completely off rails.

Which personally isn't in my taste, comedy I enjoy but a lengthy parody will turn everything sour.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
The ridiculous over-the-topness is pretty much the exact reason I AM interested in the game. The original Wolfenstein's final boss was mecha-Hitler, remember? If it tried to be a serious game, it would be an affront to the legacy of the series.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I only care about the game just because they get the protagonist just right!!!
He is 100% the original William "B.J." Blazkowicz.

He is so beatiful....*snif*

Also I hope to kill Hitler again...yep it is possible just because the time travel thing the story have.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
bluepotatosack said:
The ridiculous over-the-topness is pretty much the exact reason I AM interested in the game. The original Wolfenstein's final boss was mecha-Hitler, remember? If it tried to be a serious game, it would be an affront to the legacy of the series.
I don't mind fantastical games, even the last wolfenstein had occult magic to push it into a fantastical position. In that place where you can get away with this kind of thing. The problem is I just get the feeling that Wolfenstein: new order is trying to have its cake and eat it. On one level it is obviously trying to focus the over-the-topness of the older games while at the same time having the "seriousness" of more modern games like COD.

Or perhaps its just a problem that is plaguing most of the industry.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Well you say you want 'real events to be treated with respect', but Wolfenstein is immune to this, as it isn't based in reality. That's the whole point, it's a fictional creation of the 1960s, where the writers have considered what could've happened if the Nazis had won - it has also always been sensationalised, so it's not like it was ever sensible.

And was Wolfenstein 'really' ever seen as the pinnacle of storytelling fps or even doing anything major in that realm?

I for one refuse to get on another bandwagon of hate on some speculation that Wolfenstein might not be the game that we wanted. Especially considering the severe lack of information we have on it so far.

Wolfenstein has always been a sort of ridiculous, maybe this reimagining is just a different kind.

And the continual dehumanising of enemies in shooters makes it more escapable from being chastised for making a certain country or community look bad, so they're creating a fictional form of Nazis who don't even reasonably resemble humans, so it makes the disconnect from the truth of the matter easier.

tl;dr give it a chance.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
ok so I've watched the first hour of the game online and yeah I think my first position was wrong.

Its obvious that the story isn't designed to be taken seriously or I suspect to do anything but tick off the clichés, instead string fights together. There are some nice touches with the cut scene in the asylum their ruined the moment the protagonist moves back into the action. The timeline system might be interesting assuming we get to have any control over it and it isn't all linear storyline with a few forks in the road.

I still think the incinerator section is a bit too on the nose but I'll let it pass, if you get put in a concentration camp/gas chamber then I'll call foul.

But really comparing the actual game with what the cinematic ads where pushing they seem to be pushing a different game. Of course it might just be an overzealous marketing team but I think a lot of people are going to get a false idea of what the game is, as I did, though perhaps not in the way they wanted. They want people to expect an epic story while I saw a slightly offensive set up.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
exobook said:
bluepotatosack said:
I don't mind fantastical games, even the last wolfenstein had occult magic to push it into a fantastical position. In that place where you can get away with this kind of thing. The problem is I just get the feeling that Wolfenstein: new order is trying to have its cake and eat it. On one level it is obviously trying to focus the over-the-topness of the older games while at the same time having the "seriousness" of more modern games like COD.

Or perhaps its just a problem that is plaguing most of the industry.
Honestly, I find that the truly ridiculous plots are best served when they are presented with a straight face. If they "wink at the camera" so to speak, it kind of ruins the whole thing. Of course, I might change my mind when I actually play the thing, but so far I'm liking what I see.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
If you're looking for an historically respectful title you're wayyy off track. Wolfenstein has always been very, shall we say, colorful in their depiction of the Nazis. It's like expecting the Hellsing manga to be accurate about Nazis or Dracula.

If anything the new Wolfenstein game is interesting me quite a lot. If you give some leeway for the "EVIL NAZIS!" nonsense it's looking like the story might actually carry some weight by itself, as well as the gameplay showing some interesting potential.

Bit too early though. I reserve judgement till there's anything concrete to judge.

BaronVH

Oct 22, 2009
I was initially worried, but I cannot wait. I love that the germans speak in their native language, like in the original. I also like that it appears to be way over the top, kind of like Bulletstorm but without the banter that I sometimes found annoying (but sometimes funny). I am actually looking more forward to this than Watch Dogs.