The New World: A Cataclysmic Birth (A Superpowered RP, Closed)

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
hiei82 said:
Eh. I just have a flair for the dramatic. I figured you'd want the powers revealed fairly quickly and, since immortality is a subtle power, the best way i could think of was using the cataclysm to my advantage.

I can change it if you prefer.
A fair point, but it might be for the best to give the player who gets the power the opportunity to pick how it gets revealed.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
avouleance2nd said:
I?d like to have a character up tomorrow but here?s a power idea I?m working on
Name: Bio balance

Power:
Whenever the subject harms or heals an animal (including themselves) without using their powers they become charged. This charge empowers them to use their powers to the opposite effect. For example throwing a bucket of cold water over someone who is on fire would charge them with the energy to cause someone to spontaneously combust. The power also works in the other direction so injuring someone would allow you to heal an equivalent injury.

The power also allows for the detection of any living animals in a small area and the subject is able to perform a sort of scan allowing them to detect any injuries or medical conditions or any positives like medication or drug effects. There?s also a mild increase in pain tolerance in some cases but that could just be due to self-experimentation with the power.

As for a source it?s believed to be internal to the person some say it?s spiritual a quest for true enlightenment and balance. But it could equally be just a pedantic obsession. There are as many reasons as there are potential users.

Weakness:
While not so much weaknesses the capabilities of the power are strictly defined, they only work when the subject is the one responsible for the harm or healing. Here defined as any change in their biological physical or mental health.

The amounts are also exact, performing one action without powers give the energy to use the power to reverse it once and only once. It?s also worth noting that these powers require time to start up the energy is too volatile for it to be reliably stored between battles so it needs to be charged and discharged as soon as possible.

If left charged the energy can burst out in unpredictable ways (even supposedly benign healing energy can turn bad when not needed). The amount of energy that someone can contain increases with time and practice, it?s also easier when energy builds up slowly. If energy builds up too quickly (when affecting multiple targets at once for example) it can?t be held for long and can radiate out, even explosively.

Finally on the passive side of things the addition of the extra sense diverts attention from the normal 5 often leaving one or another weaker than on average.
Looking forward to any comments/ critique.
It's looks fine, though if it wasn't for the extra "medical" stuff that came with the power I'd be tempted to recommend renaming it "Magical Karma", or something like that.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
avouleance2nd said:
I get what you mean but the one difference between this and karma is that karma has some element of morality to it. In this case good or evil don't come into it after all hurting the right people can be morally good despite the biological harm.

Another question
Will you prevent people drawing their own powers or do that have the same chance as everyone else to do so?
If the fates decide for you to have your own power, then I will abide by it. However, I hope the chances for that are slim.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
How long are you going to be recruiting?

I'm definitely interested in this... and have some ideas I'd like to give a shot but...

I'm probably not going to have a chance to get anything nailed down, let alone posted here until a few days after Dec. 25th.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
How long are you going to be recruiting?

I'm definitely interested in this... and have some ideas I'd like to give a shot but...

I'm probably not going to have a chance to get anything nailed down, let alone posted here until a few days after Dec. 25th.
Yeah, in light of the holidays, and of the traffic I've seen so far, I'll probably leave this open longer than usual. Though, if I had to put a hard cap on it, I'd say I would close it no later than the 30th.

This is subject to change if I suddenly get swamped with sheets, but other than that I think you'll have the time you need.

booksv2

Aug 17, 2012
Name: necromancer (version one)

Power: when the cataclysm happened a portion of the brain was effected. Dead things ca now be felt and controlled to a point. From the dead body?s of animals, humans and even plants, to dead pieces of those around you. You can feel and raise the dead of those around you; this starts small with small animals and slowly works up to humans then crowd of humans. The more intelligent something was before death the harder it is to control after, but the more powerful and tough it is once its raised again.

Physical Effects: the persons eyes will sink in slowly and become darker. The skin will become more pale and fragile.

Weakness: Injuries are harder to heal from, the body not healing like a live person because of the death that is constantly used. The more things being controlled at once the less control you have. You have to be awake to control them; if you fall asleep or are knocked out they fall to the ground and die again.

Name: necromancer (version two)

Power: when the cataclysm hit off the wave of power that washed over you at first didn?t seem to do anything, but then you realize you can hear the screams of the dead. Souls of the dead handing in the air and chained to other people and places can be heard and slowly seen.
You can feel and hear and sometimes see the souls of the dead. At first just being able to see and talk to them, when you touch a soul you can draw a small part of their power, knowledge or memory into yourself. Only snatch?s at first, pieces of the things that person knew or had. The more you use this the more you can do, it takes many times before you can take a souls full memory?s and knowledge or power into yourself.

Physical effect: the hands are withered and skeletal, the skin work and looking like used leather stretched over the bones of the hands.

Weakness: you may only choose one of the three things to take from any one soul, knowledge, information, or power. The things you take only stay with you for up to 2 hours at a time, after that it drains from you until it?s gone. You can only take in 2 souls at a time.

i was bored, so here are 2 powers. maybe more to come if i get more bored.

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
EmperorZuma said:
hiei82 said:
Eh. I just have a flair for the dramatic. I figured you'd want the powers revealed fairly quickly and, since immortality is a subtle power, the best way i could think of was using the cataclysm to my advantage.

I can change it if you prefer.
A fair point, but it might be for the best to give the player who gets the power the opportunity to pick how it gets revealed.
Name: Immortal Soul

Power: On the day of the Cataclysm, you died. Strangely though, at that moment, death had become an illusion; leaving you more alive than most dead people. Your vial organs and muscles stitch together not matter how damaged, keeping you alive indefinitely. Of course, non-vital pieces did not regenerate - such is unlife. How you discover your immortality is up to you.

Physical Effects: You are Immortal. You cannot die under any circumstances. You can still be restrained, knocked out, or subjected to enormous amounts of pain; just life will not end and all your vital parts will stitch back together. Example; if someone shot you in the head through the eye, your brain would heal (because you cannot survive without it) but your eye would not (since you can survive without an eye). You can still heal normally, but significant damage will leave scars.

Weakness: In addition to not-regenerating non-vital parts of your body and the retention of the sense of pain, most of the pleasurable senses of life are slowly fading away. Sounds are less beautiful, colors less vivid, food lacks in taste. Over the next few hundred years - if you're careful - you'll become a motionless and senseless mind trapped in a prison of immortal meat. Needless to say, Immortality is its own curse.

Edited the specifics out. I left in that they died on the day of the cataclysm because the way I saw the power working was that the Cataclysm caused death itself to "lose track" of the character; effectively leaving the character caught in a state of unlife. Still, the details of it are to be determined by the player who gets the power

@Avo: I don't understand the first two paragraphs of the weakness for your power; would you mind explaining what you meant by them?

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
booksv2 said:

Power: when the cataclysm happened a portion of the brain was effected. Dead things ca now be felt and controlled to a point. From the dead body?s of animals, humans and even plants, to dead pieces of those around you. You can feel and raise the dead of those around you; this starts small with small animals and slowly works up to humans then crowd of humans. The more intelligent something was before death the harder it is to control after, but the more powerful and tough it is once its raised again.

Physical Effects: the persons eyes will sink in slowly and become darker. The skin will become more pale and fragile.

Weakness: Injuries are harder to heal from, the body not healing like a live person because of the death that is constantly used. The more things being controlled at once the less control you have. You have to be awake to control them; if you fall asleep or are knocked out they fall to the ground and die again.

Power: when the cataclysm hit off the wave of power that washed over you at first didn?t seem to do anything, but then you realize you can hear the screams of the dead. Souls of the dead handing in the air and chained to other people and places can be heard and slowly seen.
You can feel and hear and sometimes see the souls of the dead. At first just being able to see and talk to them, when you touch a soul you can draw a small part of their power, knowledge or memory into yourself. Only snatch?s at first, pieces of the things that person knew or had. The more you use this the more you can do, it takes many times before you can take a souls full memory?s and knowledge or power into yourself.

Physical effect: the hands are withered and skeletal, the skin work and looking like used leather stretched over the bones of the hands.

Weakness: you may only choose one of the three things to take from any one soul, knowledge, information, or power. The things you take only stay with you for up to 2 hours at a time, after that it drains from you until it?s gone. You can only take in 2 souls at a time.

As I have already stated, at the moment I'm only allowing one power per person to be entered into the pool, to keep a single person from saturating the collection. You can leave these here in case I change my mind later, but unless you specifically want to recommend one, the only one in the pool will be your first.

booksv2

Aug 17, 2012
EmperorZuma said:
booksv2 said:

As I have already stated, at the moment I'm only allowing one power per person to be entered into the pool, to keep a single person from saturating the collection. You can leave these here in case I change my mind later, but unless you specifically want to recommend one, the only one in the pool will be your first.

my first was human taser. so ill leave that in the pool.
if you want to use these 2 go ahead if u want to.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Not to make this repetitive...but i figured that i would put up my power submission while i work on my character sheet.

Name: Breached Core

Power: The user has the ability to control immense pressure and extreme heat, enough to rival the earth's core (or the sun's core, it doesn't matter). This heat does not manifest in the form of fire but of an aura of heat, surrounding it's user and draining energy from anyone who enters it's range and causing significant burns on anyone who gets too close to them. Alternatively, it can be fired out as a near-transparent wall of heat or something similar, slowly melting anything in it's path. The pressure adds a level of strength to it's user, allowing them to punch through rock and pulverize brick in their hand. The user also gains a powerful level of defence due to their body becoming like rock and earth. These abilities increase in power the longer the user has them at the cost of beinh harder to control without incident.

Physical Effects: The user becomes a great embodiment of the planet, their body becoming earthen with great magma veins and pools all over their body. This can be switched off to allow one to return to their natural form but the user is more naturally powerful in this earthen form, losing most of their strength in their natural form and almost all heat. Small bits of water like rain are no problem in earthen form as the heat boils it before it can touch, but large bodies of water make for a large problem.

Weakness: The earthen form is not without drawbacks however, the incredible heat damages the very ground the user walks on, making traversal inconvenient at best and dangerous at worse. The defence comes from increased mass, making swimming impossible and anything above ground level a risk to travel on. The increased mass also makes dodging a chore as the sheer density makes the user unable to move quickly as well as actually pulling physical attacks towards the user, growing in strength the more the character grows in power, though blessedly never exceeding a moderate pull on all physical objects in the area (This pulling effect, while decreased, still stays in the natural form as well). The biggest ptoblem with this power though is the increasing concentration needed to change back to natural form and the ease to turn into earthen form, almost like the power wants them to stay in that form...

I tried to balance the power of the form with the inconvenience of it and the dangers that it presents to the user and those around them. Please tell me if there's something that i'm missing so that i can change it.

Edit: Hm...i think i may have made it a bit too powerful...i think i can fix that by getting rid of the pressure power. I'll wait til official judgement though.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
figment of mind said:
Not to make this repetitive...but i figured that i would put up my power submission while i work on my character sheet.

Name: Breached Core

Power: The user has the ability to control immense pressure and extreme heat, enough to rival the earth's core (or the sun's core, it doesn't matter). This heat does not manifest in the form of fire but of an aura of heat, surrounding it's user and draining energy from anyone who enters it's range and causing significant burns on anyone who gets too close to them. Alternatively, it can be fired out as a near-transparent wall of heat or something similar, slowly melting anything in it's path. The pressure adds a level of strength to it's user, allowing them to punch through rock and pulverize brick in their hand. The user also gains a powerful level of defence due to their body becoming like rock and earth. These abilities increase in power the longer the user has them at the cost of beinh harder to control without incident.

Physical Effects: The user becomes a great embodiment of the planet, their body becoming earthen with great magma veins and pools all over their body. This can be switched off to allow one to return to their natural form but the user is more naturally powerful in this earthen form, losing most of their strength in their natural form and almost all heat. Small bits of water like rain are no problem in earthen form as the heat boils it before it can touch, but large bodies of water make for a large problem.

Weakness: The earthen form is not without drawbacks however, the incredible heat damages the very ground the user walks on, making traversal inconvenient at best and dangerous at worse. The defence comes from increased mass, making swimming impossible and anything above ground level a risk to travel on. The increased mass also makes dodging a chore as the sheer density makes the user unable to move quickly as well as actually pulling physical attacks towards the user, growing in strength the more the character grows in power, though blessedly never exceeding a moderate pull on all physical objects in the area (This pulling effect, while decreased, still stays in the natural form as well). The biggest ptoblem with this power though is the increasing concentration needed to change back to natural form and the ease to turn into earthen form, almost like the power wants them to stay in that form...

I tried to balance the power of the form with the inconvenience of it and the dangers that it presents to the user and those around them. Please tell me if there's something that i'm missing so that i can change it.

Edit: Hm...i think i may have made it a bit too powerful...i think i can fix that by getting rid of the pressure power. I'll wait til official judgement though.
I think the pressure/strength power is fine, if the heat projection is limited in its range. However, I'm more interested in the change between the subject's normal form and their earthen form. What do you think about it being a gradual change from normal to earthen, being permanent in nature, instead of being able to switch with gradual difficulty?

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
EmperorZuma said:
I think the pressure/strength power is fine, if the heat projection is limited in its range. However, I'm more interested in the change between the subject's normal form and their earthen form. What do you think about it being a gradual change from normal to earthen, being permanent in nature, instead of being able to switch with gradual difficulty?
I think it would be interesting but incredibly challenging to work with after a certain point since, the way i envision it, the heat effect is constant so if it can cause burns currently then the stronger it gets, the harder it becomes to do things like eat or touch other people. Really it's a power that i see being near uncontrollable, something the character has to fight as much as use, interesting but getting harder to write or work with if left constant, hence why i left it as a form, instead. Don't get me wrong, i could do it and write off food and drink as unnecessary after that certain point, but it just seems to me that that would limit the character who gets it and may ruin the experience for the player.

I do agree with the limited heat blasts thing, after all, heat does dissipate and get absorbed the farther away from the heat source it gets...that's a definite write in.

Edit: now that i think about it, i could have the heat be summon at will but the core concept was extreme heat and making it summonable instead of constant seems like a betrayal to that concept, though i will suck it up if need be, especially since i know how to make it work.

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
I do love a good superpower RP. Here's two power ideas while I work on a sheet:

Name: Astral Projection

Power: The user has the ability to leave their physical form and take the place of an astral form with the power to float through the air and through walls. This astral form is invisible to the naked eye with limited ability to manipulate the world around them (the astral form has half the strength of the user and cannot perform tasks that require fine motor control ex. typing quickly on a keyboard, solving a rubix cube, playing a song on an instrument, etc). All of the user's existing senses carry into the spirit world with them (i.e if a character is deaf their astral form will not be able to hear either). When they want to exit the astral form they execute another mental command and snap back to their body at a rate of 1m per second (ex. if the astral form is at the maximum range of 30m it will take 30 seconds to return to their physical body).

Weakness: While projecting, the user's physical form is completely vulnerable and becomes limp like a dead body. Activating the power requires a mental command and thus cannot be done while unconscious. The astral form has a range of 30m and cannot exceed this limit (as soon as they reach the edge they are stopped as if a tether is pulling them back). While not outright detectable they can still be 'sensed' when they pass through someone by a cold sensation suddenly spreading through the individual and the appearance of cold spots when they linger in one area for too long .

Name: Shadow manipulation

Power: The user has the ability to distort the shape and density of the shadows around them this even goes as far as to make the shadows solid and useable as weapons such as knives and daggers however they can present the illusion of movement (i.e the user can make a chainsaw with spinning blades but only by moving those blades through the power of thought and with a great deal of focus). Various shadows can be melded together to form larger constructs. These constructs can also be used as projectiles that can be launched up to double the power's maximum range before dissipating and returning to the shadow's original owner, as soon as a projectile leaves the power's maximum range it cannot be manipulated and travels forward at the velocity it was traveling at when it left the power's maximum range.

Physical Effects: Extended use of these powers results in the user's eyes becoming sunken, bags forming under their eyes along with their skin becoming paler and paler the more they exert themselves using the power .

Weaknesses: The shadow constructs are limited in their complexity by the user's focus and . Constructs can only be made out of shadows 30m away. Every shadow returns to their original owner when not being controlled (i.e every construct requires conscious effort to be maintained and multiples are dependent on the user's ability to focus on multiple things at once). The user is limited to the shadows around them and cannot form shapes larger than the shadows original surface area unless working with multiple shadows. Extended use of this power automatically adjusts the user's eyes to darkness making bright light sources painful to them for a few minutes afterwards even if they are already outside.

Any comments or questions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: and here's my sheet

Name: Marcus Law

Appearance: A skinny body type although it?s obvious he has a few extra pounds on his body along with some muscle. He has jet black curly hair that reaches past his shoulders, piercing green eyes along with a scar on his left cheek from an incident at a party when he was 19, he has a bit of light stubble on his chin aswell. Marcus is of average height for his age and usually dressed in a navy blue buttoned up shirt, loosely knotted up black tie , a pair of faded black jeans and a ratty pair of black sneakers.

Profession: A college student who works a part time job as a door to door salesman.

Biography: Marcus was born and raised in Portsfield being born to a family living in Plainview, his father an engineer and his mother a legal aide. With two parents both constantly working and neither paying him much mind, Marcus was given a lot of independence from an early age essentially learning to live by himself by the time he was 14.

With no affection from his parents to speak of Marcus instead sought affection from others becoming very extroverted in order to mask his ever increasing loneliness. For a while it worked, he had a large number of friends who accepted him for who he was finally allowing Marcus to make some real human connections.

This all changed one day however when his parents were killed in a car accident, the trauma of it all made his behavior more outlandish and desperate finally coming to a head at a friends birthday party through an incident which came as the result of excessive consumption of alcohol and poor judgement, most of his friends finally started to drift away from him.

This, coupled with the fact that the pressure of his studies was starting to catch up to him sent him into a deep depression even to the point he had to be committed for a few weeks before finally being cleared to go back. He?s now attempting to live a normal life having given up alcohol and restarting his studies as a computer science major.

Notes:
1. Lives by himself in a ratty one bedroom apartment in Backfield Commuting to university on his bike

2. A lifetime of extreme forced extroversion has made him great at convincing people and thus a fantastic salesman allowing him to easily pay his rent and afford a few luxuries.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
This RP looks cool, especially the power distribution.

Name: David Earle

Appearance: David stands at 6'2, tall enough for most but actually quite short for his family, though time spent exercising means he fills out his frame well. His brown hair and green eyes also run in his family. He has very sharp features (also a family trait) and keeps a short beard. His entire appearance is kept smart and respectable.

Profession: University Lecturer - English Literature.

Biography: David Earle is a Portsfield man born and bred. His family lives in the Greenfield district and he was raised there, his schools were small town high and elementary in the shadow of a large city and David always felt like the high rise areas of Portsfield was where he should really be. Truth be told, David hasn't ventured too far from Portsfield during his life and is unwilling to move away. He studied at New Western University despite having the opportunity to go elsewhere and later applied for a position as a lecturer, possibly as part of his unwillingness to move on from familiar surroundings. His parents still live in Greenfield and David visits every Sunday. He currently lives in a high rise apartment block in Riverside.

As a child, David was more of a fan of intellectual pursuits rather than physical ones and would spend hours by himself reading fiction and writing his own short stories. As he got older he developed a love for literature, especially Gothic Horror. His other outlets for storytelling and fiction involved RPG's such as Dungeons & Dragons, that should give you an idea of the crowd he hung around with during his education.

When he did leave high school he didn't go far. New Western might not have been the best place he could go but it was where he wanted to be. He was finally living in central Portsfield and getting on with his life. In his mind this was 'going places' though his parents didn't think so since every week David would show up at the house with a load of laundry and a question of "What's for dinner?" on his lips. His further adult life had made some progress on that front, leaving University for his old room at the parents house for a couple of years was a bit of a bump in the road but David has done well for himself. He is now working at the University giving lectures that a few years ago he would have attended as a student.

David mostly spends his days at work or at his apartment. He doesn't have a large group of friends and has few social events that take up his time. However, David has been sticking to an exercise regime for several years now and it has paid dividends in terms of his health. His few forays into relationships have not produced anything serious or lasting more than a couple of years. To sum up his life in a word would be "settled". His job and home are stable and his life has developed into a series of routines that don't really go anywhere special, but David is content enough and he only rarely wonders what might happen should he change his life.

Notes:

1. David lives in an apartment building in Riverside and commutes to New Western University by car.
2. David dresses well, though has adopted a 'casual untucked shirt and tie' look because he thinks that's how he looks best. He's more vain than he lets on and not quite realising that he's not in his twenties anymore.

Und now for the superpower:

Name: Invisibility/Perception Adjustment

Power: The ability to slip outside of the observation of others. This doesn't make you disappear or vanish, it is more of a short range psychic effect that prevents others from noticing you if you don't want them to. This becomes harder to do if they have already seen you as it takes more effort to make them forget you were there. It also doesn't affect those seeing you on CCTV as they are not affected by the psychic power.

Weakness: The power requires strong mental effort and concentration to work on a large amount of people, especially if they have already seen you. It therefore cannot be used for long periods of time, being in a situation of mental distress also impairs your ability to use the power and may force you to drop the invisibility. You also have to learn how to use the power at first, not having full control over it, this could lead to embarrassing or inconvenient problems before you figure out how to use it properly.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
figment of mind said:
No, aside from the range on the heat blasts, the power is fine. I just wanted to see what you thought about a gradual, uncontrollable change rather than an ability to flip between the two forms. If you think it's better the way you have it now, then by all means, leave as is.

terribleyetfun said:
Both powers and the sheet look fine.

The Harkinator said:
A fine sheet, for both character and power.

Ok, given the relatively low amount of sheets gotten so far, though I know more could be on the way after the holidays, I have decided to allow multiple powers to be accepted into the pool from the same person. Here's my deluge of ideas:

Name: Artificing

Power: The subject is able to "see" the literal framework of the universe, a semi-transparent reality that shows how everything works in our universe, even digital devices. The subject is able to "adjust" these descriptions, or connections, and give objects new properties. In other words, they can "enchant" objects to give them special powers, or even create semi-living constructs that can serve them.

Physical Effects: When in the process of Artificing, the irises in the subject's eyes glow a vivid blue, along with their hands. However, when not using their power, no change can be seen.

Weakness: The process of Artificing is long and requires a lot of focus, sapping the subject of stamina. It can not be done on the fly or in crisis situations, meaning that the "Artificer" must be prepared for problems ahead of time. Also, some of the Artificer's power must be spent to maintain the changes to the framework they made. Because of this, the more enchanted objects/constructs the subject creates, the weaker each individual object is. The Artificer is also constrained by materials, as they can not conjure anything and must work with what already exists in reality.

Name: Size Shifting

Power: The subject is able to change their size at will, with the change coming with several side effects. As they shrink, the subject exhibits a growth in cognitive function and physical agility. As they grow, a decrease in cognitive function occurs, along with a dramatic growth in physical strength, stamina, and durability. This leads to a range of faculties from a subject mere centimeters tall with the IQ as high as some of Earth's greatest minds, and more agile then an olympic gymnast; to a giant as tall as a building and strong enough to crush cars in one hand, but is clumsy, with the mental faculties of a small child.

Physical Effects: The effects on the subject's body depends on the subject's size. However, when their are at their natural size, there are no effects.

Weakness: The double-edged sword mentioned above is the key weakness to this power, the inverse relationship between power and intelligence. The subject can be incredibly smart, but can be crushed by wayward foot. They can be strong and massive, but can barely put the round peg in the right hole. This weakness can be mitigated somewhat by the subject not changing their size to such incredible degrees, but the relationship remains regardless.

Name: Density Shifting

Power: The subject is capable of changing their body's density; ranging from almost nothing, allowing the subject to move through solid objects, to incredibly dense, making the subject's body practically invulnerable. When this power is mastered, the density of objects held by the subject can also be shifted, though that ability is limited by the size of the objects held.

Weakness: The subject's density effects its mass, and by that the subject's ability to move. For example, should the subject make themselves dense enough to prevent any damage, they would be statuesque and unable to move. On top of that, they would be incredibly heavy and could fall through the floor if they were in a building with a lower level. Of course, the opposite is true: if the subject shifted to a much lighter density, a powerful wind would be enough to give them the ability to fly.

Name: The Other

Power: "Finding" the subject after the Cataclysm, the Other is an entity not fully understood. It appears to "bind" itself to the subject, and a sort of symbiotic relationship arises. The Other appears to lend its power to the subject in the forms of: telepathic communication, though it is more of a translation of thought through the Other, with all thoughts heard by the subject in a deep monotone (unknown if this is the "voice" of the Other, as it does not speak to its host); telekinesis, though the "strength" of it seems to be determined by the Other. At the same time, the Other appears to tighten the bind between itself and the subject, sapping the subject of energy.

Physical Effects: At first, there are no effects on the subject. However, as the binding between the subject and the Other intensifies, along with the power the Other can exert, the subject's body begins to atrophy. Eventually, the subject becomes dependent on the Other's power just to move.

Weakness: The power the Other provides is dependent on its whim, and not completely under the control of the subject. Along with that comes the weakness that the subject is still a normal human, gradually getting weaker because of the connection to the Other. This makes the subject incredibly vulnerable should they come into a situation where the Other can not defend them.

Name: Machine Ghosting

Power: After the energy that was emitted by the Cataclysm hit the subject, they found their body broken down into base components and scattered by the wind. However, they did not die. Instead, their mind, consciousness, or "soul", was converted into a digital format and deposited into the nearest machine. The subject became, for all intents and purposes, a sentient computer program. To that extent, they can exert control over any device they can connect to, and can leave simple instructions for the device to follow once they "leave".

Physical Effects: As stated in earlier report, the subject's physical body is destroyed by whatever force emanated from the Cataclysm. Nothing is left on the material plane to signal their former existence afterwards then a pile of clothes.

Weakness: The subject is still locked within human perception, as a digital reality is almost impossible to comprehend from a formerly outsider view. This means that the subject can not extend themselves beyond the confines of a single device, or small network, even though they can move freely between them. Also, their presence can be detected as interference on communication channels, or seen as "junk data" in memory. This means that if the subject can be "trapped" within a device with no connections to other devices, the data that now composes their form can be deleted, and the subject given a true death. To a similar extent, the instructions left behind in devices can also be detected and removed by anyone with technical knowledge.

Name: Shaman's Necklace

Power: By some means, this artifact from centuries past came to be in the subject's possession, now containing some power brought on from the Cataclysm. When it is worn, the subject is able to "shift" out of phase with reality and enter the dimension where "spirits" reside. In this dimension, described as "chaotic" and "frequently changing", the wearer is able to "tame" individual spirits and bind them to the necklace. Once tamed, the necklace is able to give these spirits a material form in our reality, for a limited time.

Physical Effects: There are no effects on the user of the necklace, but when a spirit is manifested, several beads on the necklace glow. Also, when a spirit is tamed, a single piece of the necklace changes to represent the binding of the spirit to the necklace.

Weakness: The wearer of the necklace has no special power onto themselves, so they are as fragile as any other non-powered being. On top of that, because of the necklace's new-found power, no spirits are currently bound to it. Spiritual Taming is also a ritual that takes a length of time, and can range from peaceful contact between the wearer and weaker, intelligent spirits to fierce combat between whatever forces the wearer can muster and powerful spirits of the elements or the wild. Finally, once conjured, the amount of time a spirit can be manifested is a correlation between the wearer's stamina and the strength of the spirit. For example, a well-rested, strong wearer manifesting a weak spirit can keep the spirit on our plane of existence far longer than a tired wearer manifesting a strong spirit.

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
Here are a few extra powers; more on the way later.

Name: Brain Power

Power: The receiver of this power has their brain's neuron count and neural pathways increase a hundred fold. While it doesn't immediately grant enormous knowledge, the user can now remember every moment of their life, learn new information at blistering speeds, and embrace even the most impossible of non-lateral thinking. Within a few days of gaining this power, a person could theoretically gain PHD level knowledge in almost any subject. Every aspect of intellectualism comes easily - from math and science to creative writing and history.

Physical Effect: This power has no outward physical effects, though a brain scan would reveal the incredible neural structure of the user.

Weakness: First, this power only learning, perception, and knowledge retention. It has no effect on emotional knowledge or personality. Thus, if given to a psychopath, the power will not correct for the psychopathic tendencies. 2nd, the power has no outward effect. No supernatural energy blasts, no psychic powers, nothing. While it can be used for incredible acts of strategy and tactics or to create gadgets to allow super-human abilities, these abilities are not inherent and can be disarmed, broken, or stolen as anything else. It does not grant the additional resources to make expensive gadgets, though use of the power may allow for monetary gain (through the stock market, selling of inventions, etc)

Name: Hell-Fire

Power: The user is able to tap into the boarder between the worlds and call upon the mystical flames from the underworld. These flames burn hotter than any natural flame and burn the soul as well as the body. The flames can be fired from the user's hands and molded into shapes to suit the needs of the user. Prolonged or extreme exposure to the flames (such as being engulfed by it or touching it too many times) causes the target to slowly lose their mind (in the form of memories and emotions) until eventually it consumes their soul; leaving them a living body with no soul to move it

Physical Effect: The more Hell-Fire is used, the more the flames scar and burn the user; starting from the extremities and moving up to the heart and brain. Eventually, the user's body will become a charred piece of dead meat.

Weakness: The user is not immune to the effects of Hell-Fire. While certain precautions can be taken against the fire side of the power (by wearing appropriate gloves), the effects on the user's soul grow over time until eventually, their entire soul is lost to the flames.

Name: Wave Control

Power: You gain the ability to create and control sonic and electromagnetic waves. These waves can be created from any part of your body at will. Sound waves can be used to create loud noises, damage all objects in a short radius, or even make a dog whistle effect. Electromagnetic waves can illuminate the surrounding area like a torch, communicate via radio, or even create damaging blasts of microwaves, X-rays, or gamma rays. The more extreme the wave length the more exhausting the effect. Thus, high decibel blasts, microwaves, x-rays, and gamma rays can only be used briefly and Radio waves can only be used to send short messages.

Related to this, you can hear and see a larger spectrum of sound/light - allowing you to responses from such communications assuming your targets have appropriate equipment.

Physical Effect: You glow in the dark and always radiate a low decibel sound which makes sound-sensitive animals uncomfortable.

Weakness: In addition to the fact more powerful effects are more exhausting, you must eat a significant amount of food to have the energy to make such waves. You also cannot direct your waves - thus waves travel in all directions - preventing targeted effects.

Name: Superhuman Strength

Power: You gain superhuman strength. You have the ability to life and hold objects much heavier than normally possible. Your maximum sustainable weight capacity (pick up and move easily) is that of a large SUV, though you can lift off the ground and drag objects up to tractor trailer size or single train car.

You can make unarmed attack with enormous force (normal weapons you use will generally break under the force) and you can create shockwaves by slamming your hands/feet into the ground/together. You have some degree of invulnerability to the forces you create, though this does not extend to outside forces (such as from other attackers)

Physical Effect: Your body looks completely unchanged, though controlling your strength can be a challenge (you will destroy many alarm clocks). When you use your power, the ground around you may not have the ability to support you.

Weakness: Controlling your strength is difficult; expect many broken objects. You must consume enormous amounts of food per day to maintain your strength (20,000 calories/day minimum)

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Question: is the assigning of powers completely random, or can we put in our preferences? If not, can we get a second pick? I think that's the case with the latter question, I just wanna be sure. Also, I may post a new power idea or two, if that's alright by you.