The New World: A Cataclysmic Birth (A Superpowered RP, Closed)

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
Question: is the assigning of powers completely random, or can we put in our preferences? If not, can we get a second pick? I think that's the case with the latter question, I just wanna be sure. Also, I may post a new power idea or two, if that's alright by you.
It's random, but people are allowed a second pick. As for more powers, its fine with me.

booksv2

Aug 17, 2012
when about would this role play be started? and are you adding in the 2 extra powers i posted on the first page? just a reminder.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
booksv2 said:
when about would this role play be started? and are you adding in the 2 extra powers i posted on the first page? just a reminder.
Yes, and since we're competeing with Christmas I was planning to wait another 5 days or so. Frankly, it depends on how many more sheets I can get.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
EmperorZuma said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
Question: is the assigning of powers completely random, or can we put in our preferences? If not, can we get a second pick? I think that's the case with the latter question, I just wanna be sure. Also, I may post a new power idea or two, if that's alright by you.
It's random, but people are allowed a second pick. As for more powers, its fine with me.
Ok then, lemme see what I can cook up:

Name: Cinder Manipulation

Power: The user has the ability to generate clouds of smoke or superheated cinders from their hands, as well as become a cloud of smoke and fly or travel through small spaces. They can also create small explosive fireballs.

Physical Effects: While using this ability, the user's hands glow red, and are hot enough to burn through most materials and heat things up.

Weakness: Extreme cold, water, and fire-extinguishing chemicals can cancel out the user's fire attacks, and strong winds can make using smoke powers extremely inconvenient. Also, if said user looses their temper, they might also loose control of their power.

Name: Aura Weaponry

Power: The user can generate a force field of energy (color may be up to the player's pick) to form weapons/armor/appendages/barriers/platforms. (Would energy blasts fit in?)

Weakness: Generating aura weaponry requires concentration and energy reserves, so the constructs disappear whenever the user loses focus, goes unconscious, or tires out. In addition, sufficient force can shatter the constructs, especially if the user is weakened enough. Finally, this ability is limited by the user's imagination.

Name: Nanitech Shifting

Power: When the Cataclysm hit, an experiment involving experimental nanobots escaped from a lab somewhere, only to come across someone heavily injured during the Cataclysm. The nanites, having a rudimentary AI entered that person's body, healing them as we'll as giving them the ability to shape their body in a variety of ways. In addition, that person is stronger/faster/more resilient, plus they can heal twice as fast now.

Physical Effects: Whenever the individual uses their shape shifting power, the part of their body they are changing turns metallic, and becomes hard to damage, as well as able to cut almost anything. When not in use, they manifest as silvery patches on the skin. The more the user uses this ability, the more patches seem to appear...

Weakness: The user's body is now much heavier than before, making weight an issue in certain situations, not to mention swimming is out of the question. The degree they can shape shift is limited to the user's imagination (though their clothes don't change with them), and any changes they have will revert back when they loose consciousness. It's also pretty much impossible for them to go through metal detectors.

Name: Earth Power

Power: As long as the user is in contact with the Earth (or at least touching the ground) their speed and strength is increased tenfold.

Weakness: Obviously, this power doesn't work when the user is not touching the ground on some level.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I may join, I may not, but I will definitely put powers into the mix later.
Name: Probability manipulation/Luck

Power: You supernaturally lucky. Guns pointed at you will jam, you will win every coin toss, the rubble of the collapsing building will fall in a way that will not harm you, the cars of people pursuing you will refuse to start, and sometimes people who you don't like end up being struck by lightning.
Physical Effects: Clothes never get dirtied from accidental smudging.
Weakness: There are some scenarios where pure luck simply cannot save you. A sword has no moving parts to jam as it goes through you.
Name: Shapeshifting.

Power: You may alter your shape. The degree of the power is highly variable.
Lesser: You can alter your appearance, but you're always humanoid, and you're always fleshy.

Standard: You can alter your shape to a greater degree, but your mass remains consistent, and you need to keep vital organs regardless of your shape. You can turn into different kinds of organic material, but you cannot turn your body into inorganic material. You are difficult to kill through conventional means as you will simply shift your wounded parts into non-wounded parts.

Greater: Your entire body is completely malleable. A single cell contains your entire consciousness, and as such you are incredibly difficult to kill through conventional means as If you are not destroyed utterly, you may reconstitute yourself. You can be anyone, or anything.

Physical Effects: Shapeshifting is nothing but physical effects.

Weaknesses:
Lesser: Anything that would kill a human would kill you.
Standard: If they can kill you quickly enough you cannot fix the injury.
Greater: Being electrocuted, incinerated, or frozen might incapacitate you. Anything that destroys your entire body would kill you.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Sorry for the wait, kept having to rewrite the sheet due to roadblocks...
Name: Harold Goldseal

Appearance: A man of rather average height, not anything to write home about, and average build. His hair is dark, short, and usually covered by a wide-brimed hat of some sort (usually a hat. He has brown eyes, which he is prone to hiding under sunglasses, along with a Trimed-short mustache/beard combo. Usually he wears a long red coat, a white cotton shirt, some brown pants, and hiking boots, though he will change according to the weather.

Profession: Mechanic, Ex-soldier

Biography: Harold grew up as the the second youngest of a family of four boys, and as such, shared the role of the middle child with his second elder brother. They could have been classified as poor, having to live off of wellfare checks and low paying jobs just to get by. In spite of that, Harold's life early on was good. Their extended family didn't live too far away and, while they didn't have everything they wanted, Harold and his brothers were quite content in finding their own entertainmen, usually playing pirates or something similar.

Things started to change at the beginning of middle school when Tristan- the second eldest, showed proficiency enough in school to skip a grade, having revealed a talent for science and math that had been glossed over before. As a result, Tristan was pressured more to study more and do better, leaving less time for him and Harold to hang out. This wasn't that radical of a change and they all could understand but it also left them with less funds as their parents bought more and more stuff for him to study, leaving no money to help with Harold's budding talent in music. Then, a year later, the eldest brother, Alan (now in high school), became a basketball "prodigy", a word he was convinced was just assigned to anyone that was just good at sports, but this separated the brothers more, as Alan spent more time practicing and enjoying the attention given to him.

Harold coasted through high school, doing nothing exceptional and not really knowing what he would do afterwards, once even taking carpenting and shop class cause he thought they would be fun (the former, no, the latter, yes). He couldn't find anything to compete with his elder brothers in impressiveness so, when his father told him a list of things he could do after high school, trying to prompt him into getting a direction in life, Harold went and joined the army. His family was less than pleased but, as he was 18, they really didn't have a choice but to accept it.

And so he served a tour in the reserves and took a few generic online courses while there, trying to find out what to do with his life. At one point, there was a number of vehicles on site and he was tapped to help the on-site mechanics fix them. He just did what he was told at first, not really understanding what was going on before but after a few days, he finally began to enjoy it, remembering the good times in shop class. After the problem was solved, Harold began taking mechanic essential courses, whatever he could do online. He had decided that it wasn't worth competing against his brothers in who had the best job, especially since Tristan had gone for being an engineer and the youngest had opted for the job of doctor. He wouldn't win against that so why bother? Why not just go for something he enjoyed?

After his tour was over, he took all the courses that weren't avalible online before becoming a journeyman under an actual mechanic, until he learned all of the ropes. He now works in another car shop in plainsveiw.

Notes: Harold has a talent for music, both instrumental and vocal, which he's been honing since he got back from the army. He hasn't the time nor the will to make his own songs, though.

He owns a guitar and a mandolin.

Harold's been known to be very frugal due to his upbringing, saving enough money for any eventuality.

He also sends money home whenever he can to alleviate his parents stress.

...and the updated power sheet...

Name: Breached Core

Power: The user has the ability to control immense pressure and extreme heat, enough to rival the earth's core (or the sun's core, it doesn't matter). This heat does not manifest in the form of fire but of an aura of heat, surrounding it's user and draining energy from anyone who enters it's range and causing significant burns on anyone who gets too close to them. Alternatively, it can be fired out as a near-transparent wall of heat or something similar, slowly melting anything in it's path for a short distance due to heat dispersion. The pressure adds a level of strength to it's user, allowing them to punch through rock and pulverize brick in their hand. The user also gains a powerful level of defence due to their body becoming like rock and earth. These abilities increase in power the longer the user has them at the cost of beinh harder to control without incident.

Physical Effects: The user becomes a great embodiment of the planet, their body becoming earthen with great magma veins and pools all over their body. In this form, the heat wave is constant and hard to cool down. This can be switched off to allow one to return to their natural form but the user is more naturally powerful in this earthen form, losing most of their strength in their natural form and almost all heat. Small bits of water like rain are no problem in earthen form as the heat boils it before it can touch, but large bodies of water make for a large problem.

Weakness: The earthen form is not without drawbacks however, the incredible heat damages the very ground the user walks on, making traversal inconvenient at best and dangerous at worse. The defence comes from increased mass, making swimming impossible and anything above ground level a risk to travel on. The increased mass also makes dodging a chore as the sheer density makes the user unable to move quickly as well as actually pulling physical attacks towards the user, growing in strength the more the character grows in power, though blessedly never exceeding a moderate pull on all physical objects in the area (This pulling effect, while decreased, still stays in the natural form as well). The biggest ptoblem with this power though is the increasing concentration needed to change back to natural form and the ease to turn into earthen form, almost like the power wants them to stay in that form...

Hope their in order. If not, just tell me.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
EmperorZuma said:
avouleance2nd said:
TheDoctor455 said:
drmigit2 said:
Souplex said:
Okay, so I got some powers from a few of you, and remarks of interest in others, but no characters. Can I get a word from you guys as to whether or not you're still interested in this? I'd rather not leave the door open for much longer if interest has already peaked.
No. Sorry. Haven't been able to come up with anything.

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
EmperorZuma said:
avouleance2nd said:
TheDoctor455 said:
drmigit2 said:
Souplex said:
Okay, so I got some powers from a few of you, and remarks of interest in others, but no characters. Can I get a word from you guys as to whether or not you're still interested in this? I'd rather not leave the door open for much longer if interest has already peaked.
Holidays have taken a ton of my time, if you wanted to start tomorrow the answer is probably I can't, but I will see how much time I have in the next few hours after I get back from some errands.

Souplex

Jul 29, 2008
EmperorZuma said:
Souplex said:
I suppose I'll join.
Name: Kevin Anderson

Appearance: 5'11, 180 lbs, African American, very short hair.

Profession: Delivery Boy

Biography: Born and raised in southern Plainsview, Kevin opted to spend a year working deliveries for his local greasy spoon in order to save some money for college.

Notes: As a delivery boy, he is very familiar with navigating the city, and has a somewhat unhealthy attachment to his 21-speed bicycle.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
Well, then, with about half a month behind us (sorry for the wait for those who submitted sheets at the start of this), I would like to officially begin this RP! Due to the little number of sheets submitted, and the fact that none of them make me cringe with horror and/or dread, everyone who submitted a sheet is accepted into the RP. Drmigit2, just PM your sheet if you make it and I'll consider it then.

Expect an invite to our group shortly, and an opening post in a couple of hours!

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
The sun rose above the city of Portsfield, it's light just barely reaching between the skyscrapers in the city's more urban districts. At this time of the year, around the end of summer and the beginning of fall, the temperature is constantly torn between cool nights and hot days. However, even in the morning, today was looking like it would be pleasant.

"Good morning Portsfield! You're listening to 103.5, The Rocking Clubhouse! The sun is just coming up on this Monday morning, and it's time for all you listening to get out of bed and start the day!"

Drake groaned as he opened he eyes, then immediately closed them again as his vision was blinded by sunlight. "Ah, crap!" Rubbing his eyes with a sigh, Drake rolled over to the other side of his bed and tried again to get up.

"Those of you night-owls out here may have gotten quite a shock when we got that quake last night! How bad was it, Linda?"

"Not that bad, Johnny, but definitely noticeable. The Institute's geologic facility up by Mount. Highfort reported a 3.5 on their scales. Not really a reason to run for the hills, especially considering what our Californian neighbors have to deal with, but bad enough to shake up the locals."

"Yeah, a few of our more vocal listeners called in earlier and complained about broken plates, glasses, and whatnot. If you're in retail, might want to stock up on glassware, cause there's going to be a-!"

Drake turned his alarm clock off as he started towards the kitchen, finding that his host was already fully-dressed and at the counter, eating some leftovers from the night before. "Good morning, Ryan." Drake spoke through a yawn as he passed by his older friend and opened the fridge. Immediately, he noticed that there was some items missing, and that one of the shelves had been hastily cleaned. "Hey, what happ-?"

Ryan had an answer already prepared. "The eggs we had in there actually broke, can you believe that? Soaked the carton and spilled all over the shelf. Thank god you can't break paper towels, right?"

Drake snorted a polite laugh in response and he grabbed some leftovers of his own and put them in the microwave, turning to see Ryan was already putting his plate away and starting towards the door. "Well, I'm heading out. Going to hit a bar with some co-workers, so go ahead and just cook for one tonight, all right?"

"All right." The pair exchanged a smile and nod before Ryan walked out the door. A little while later, Drake slid his own plate into the sink and made his way to the bathroom for his morning shower.

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
Dr. Capek rubbed her eyes in an attempt to keep them open for a little longer. She was lying on the floor on her back in her lab, inspecting her scientific equipment. The west coast had many advantages; clear skies, mild temperatures, generally friendly people, and so on. Unfortunately, they occasionally needed to deal with Seismic activity.

Late during the evening prior, an earthquake had shaken the little city. Minutes later, she'd received a phone-call from the university. Whenever the earth shook, they needed to run a diagnostic on the equipment; looking for any damage. Even little 3.5s required the check. As it turns out, when using a telescope to zoom in on objects hundreds of lightyears away, the slightest movement could ruin everything. So, here she was; checking on equipment in a lab before the sun was even in the sky.

After several more absent minded eye rubbings, she decided it was time for coffee and crawled out from under the ultra high resolution telescope.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
In a modest (and somewhat messy bedroom of an apartment in Downtown Portsfield 17-year old Leon Vargas tossed and turned in his bed, unable to fall asleep, finally, he game up on sleep entirely and kicked aside his blankets and got up. After a quick stop in the bathroom, he wandered out to the kitchen where his Uncle Dominic was alreadysitting with a cup of coffe and the morning newspaper.

"Morning, sport." He said by way of greeting, "I'm suprised to see you up so early."

Leon scratched the back of his head. "Yeah, well, I couldn't get to sleep is all."

Dom nodded knowingly. "I'm not surprised, what with that earthquake last night and all."

Leon was in the middle of a yawn when his uncle's words registered. "What?"

"You didn't feel it? I'm surprised, seeing as a few of our glass wares ended up being broken as a result. I bet it's the same at the lab. Well, at least we have insurance." Dom added with a chuckle.

Come to think of it, Leon had woken up sometime in the middle of the night, and had been unable to fall asleep again for hours afterward. Was that it? Shrugging these thoughts off, Leon instead went to get himself a bowl of cereal.

"So, what do you have planned for today?" Dominic asked cheerfully, trying to make conversation.

"Eh, same old, same old," Leon answered, sitting at the table with his bowl. "I was planning to hang out with my homies at the arcade, maybe catch a movie later."

Dominic frowned. "You know, I worry about your safety every time you go out on the streets. Leon rolled his eyes at his Uncle's worries. When was he going to stop treating him like a kid?

"Hey, you don't have to worry about me, I can handle myself." Admittedly, Leon was planning to skip school today, but there was no way he was telling his uncle that...

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
Shafts of the sun's rays pierced through the slatted blinds of Marcus' apartment window beaming themselves directly onto his face, this sudden sensation coupled with the sound of his mobile phone's alarm going off was enough to arouse Marcus from his slumber. He awoke with a groan slowly pivoting himself around and upward so that he was now sitting on his bed, one hand raised over his eyes to block the sun's rays.

"How about we stop trying to blind me, alright sun?" Marcus spoke to nobody in particular, silently cursing at himself for having the misfortune of buying an apartment who's bedroom window faced the morning sunlight. He rose from his bed and shuffled across his room to his mobile, catching the last few words of the radio broadcast before shutting it off.

"Not that bad, Johnny, but definitely noticeable. The Institute's geologic facility up by Mount. Highfort reported a 3.5 on their scales. Not-"

"Earthquake?...I didn't feel a thing, well I always was a heavy sleeper"

Marcus walked over to his closet looking through his clothes before settling on his usual outfit of a deep blue button up shirt and baggy black jeans. For him this was enough for the start of the day, the rest would come later when he actually had to leave.

Marcus entered the kitchen, stretching out his arms with a long satisfied grunt as he walked over to the pantry, opening the door to find everything in disarray as if the pantry was shaken up like a can of soda. Marcus made a mental note to sort this out later. He wasn't in the mood to clean anything or cook anything so he sifted through the piles of fallen food and grabbed a box of fruit loops making a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee for himself. He was in no hurry to leave, it was just another day at university, he could afford to be late for his morning lecture.

"Sometimes I wonder why they put lectures at 9am in the morning anyway?, maybe it's a test of will to weed out the serious from the slackers?...or maybe it's because it's simply the time the lecture was assigned to and the entirety of the blame is to be placed upon the class sorting algorithm which is random aside from a few parameters?...nope definitely the former" Marcus spoke, again to nobody in particular as he finished off his breakfast swallowing the last of the coffee with a satisfied gulp. He walked back to his room to finish getting dressed, which included putting on a black tie that hung loose around his neck along with a pair of black sneakers. He gathered his wallet, keys and phone and headed out the door, locking it behind him as he walked down to the bottom floor of his apartment block, thankfully still finding his bike where he locked it up last night.

"One of these days I'm gonna have to figure out if it's the neighborhood that's too good to steal my bike or that my bike's not good enough to steal" Marcus smirked, looking over his bright green 10-speed bike before unchaining it and pedaling down the street.

Souplex

Jul 29, 2008
Kevin was never much of an early bird. Working at Tom's Diner made that difficult for him.
He was slowly starting to get used to waking up at 5 AM, and getting to work at 6.
"We got a delivery to the university! It's a big one."
That would be the eponymous Tom, of Tom's Diner fame.
"On it!"
Kevin grabbed the bag, ran out to his bike, put on his helmet, and unlocked the bike.
"No rest for the wicked."

booksv2

Aug 17, 2012
Shink.. Shink.. Shink.. BAMM!

Jerking awake as the security bars downstairs hit the top and lock into above the doors Cameron rubs his face and doesn't even look over at his alarm clock to know its 8:00 AM on the dot. Groaning softly as he falls back onto the bed he lays there for a few seconds before opening his eyes at the sounds of cursing and several people stomping around. Reaching up behind him he feels around on the wall till he finds the light switch. Turning it on and sitting up slowly he blinks as he looks around his room.

"What?...."

Looking out over his room Cameron frowns at nicknacks from shelves and dressers on the floor. Getting up and picking up the half dozen things on the floor he walks into the bathroom and steps into the shower.
After a double handful of time he steps out and pulls some jeans and boots on, pushing his fingers back through his hair before pulling on a shirt and after slipping his phone into his back pocket and his wallet into the other side. He grabs his jacket and puts it on as he opens and steps out the door that leads outside to the back of the building. Locking his door and walking down the stairs till he steps into the alley on the side of the shop he walks down and into the front door. Making a face at the giant mess on the floor from the easy open things falling from the shelves Cameron walks to the counter and nods at Ren Suzuki behind it counting money and putting the little windows in the counter in order.

"Hey Ren. What happened in here? Almost looks like someone got in but the security bars are still intact."

Look out at the store and nod at Hoshi and Itsuki, Rens daughter and son respectively, as Itsuki cleans up the store floor and Hoshi is stocking things starting from the front of the store. Cameron looks back at Ren after watching them for a few seconds, just in time for Ren to say.

"We had a little quake last night, small but still enough to kick off some of the things on the shelves. Should only be a few more minutes to clean and stock again but it'll be an expense still."

Nodding as Ren talks Cameron pulls out his wallet and reach's into the cashier and pull's out a few 20 dollar bills before putting 2 in his wallet and setting 2 more on the counter.

"For the extra trouble."

Turning Cameron walks around Itsuki as he cleans and on the opposite side of the shelving as Hoshi before getting to the door and walking out. Stopping just outside the door for a minute and pushing his hands into his jackets pockets. Turning down the street Cameron starts walking slowly along the store and restaurant fronts.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Harold lifted up the couch, searching underneath for his keys. He had lost the damnable things yesterday night, (he was sure that they had been on the table but no, they weren't when he woke up) and now had to tear up his apartment, again, in order to find them. He had even heard that there was an earthquake last night which no doubt moved them even more so retracing his steps was useless.

His mother had been frantic when she heard that there had been an earthquake, and thus, he had been awake since before dawn trying to calm her down. He hadn't even felt it happen, the only evidence that it had happened for him was some damaged plates and bowls, plus a couple of pictures. Nothing really to be concerned about, so long as his house isn't crumbling around him then he was fine. Of course after that, he found out that his keys were missing...fun.

He sat the couch back down before plopping himself down and turned on the t.v., hoping that taking a break would at least clear his mind and help him think of more places to look. He turned it onto the local news, still making references to the earthquake...at least the whether would be nice.

Seriously? There they were, on the T.V., admittedly covered by papers but still. He could feel it now, today would not be his day. He grabbed them, took a quick shower, got dressed...and realized that he had lost his shoes in his search for the keys.15 minutes later, he found them and headed out, deciding to just buy some fast food for breakfast and head to work, hoping that the quicker he got there, the quicker he could finish and end this day before something more aggravating happened.