The New World: A Cataclysmic Birth (A Superpowered RP, Closed)

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP* The distinctive sound of an unwelcome alarm clock pierced the silence of David Earle's bedroom. He had already been awake for seven minutes but had decided not to get up, instead electing to stay in bed and stare at the clock as it counted up to 06:30.

This morning was much like every other weekday morning. David got out of bed, put on his dressing gown and went into his main room to put on the TV, as ever it was one of those 24 hour news channels David watched in the morning. He got a bowl of cereal and poured himself a glass of orange juice to take with the mornings headlines.

".....an earthquake measuring 3.5 on the scale hit Portsfield last night, no major damage was caused. A quake of this magnitude is only going to cause damage to more fragile possessions. Public transport in the city is not thought to be badly affected." David tuned out the news broadcast and went back to eating, not really paying attention to what was on the screen. Many mornings passed like this as David finished his cereal and made a pot of coffee to wake himself up properly.

One hour later

The double whammy of coffee and the morning shower had properly woken David up now. He was fully dressed (white shirt, red tie) and ready to leave for work, the elevator to the parking lot took him to his car and David joined the early morning traffic on their way into Portsfield.

Another hour later

David was at work and all ready to go for another day. More coffee would do the trick for him though his students would undoubtedly be lethargic when they arrived. The weekend meant parties and alcohol for some students and late nights for almost all of them. Monday morning lectures were more of an exercise in waking up the barely conscious students for the rest of the day.

"Good morning Mr Earle, slight room change. Your 9am lecture has been moved upstairs to 3:08, I've already informed your students." This was Mrs Adams, one of David's co workers and certainly more senior than he was. She was in her 60's and, although short, was able to boss around nearly everyone by being merit of an older lady with a stern voice who knew how to use it.

"Well whose in this one and why was I the last one to be told?" Was David's snapped reply. A long time spent being derided and obstructed by Mrs Adams meant he had little time for her and her stupid power plays any more.

"My decision of course, I need this room for my lecture this week."

"Alright, fine. Send any stragglers to 3:08 if they end up in here by mistake." Said David, already heading out of the door with his bag. On his way to the new room he could see the calm before the storm of a new week was beginning to crack, at the staircase he could see down into the building foyer and groups of students were making their way in with tentative steps. David could see some from his class entering the building and judging by the slow pace of their entrance it was going to be a slow morning. David had just a few more minutes of calm before 9am hit and work began properly.

In this time David liked the relative emptiness of unoccupied lecture theatres and rooms, the rows of empty benches and chairs leading up to the back with not a soul sitting there. David could stand as far back as possible and appreciate the quiet for a precious few seconds.

A calm, straightforward say lay ahead, just like every other one.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
Drake's morning routine unfolded as it had hundreds of times before. He finished his shower, got dressed, then packed aways his books and laptop for his classes that day. After a boring elevator ride and a quick walk to the nearby subway station, Drake was on the train to Plainview.

However, once the train reached its destination, and Drake started up the stairs to the surface, the ground beneath him began to shake. It only lasted a second or two, but it was strong enough to cause Drake to almost lose his footing. Luckily, he recovered, and was able to join the other startled subway-goers at street-level. There was a moment of unease between them all, looking at one another to make sure what just happened wasn't their own imagination. Then, moments later, when no one could see any apparent damage, to themselves or to their surroundings, people started to return to business.

Drake, on the other hand, could still feel his heart pounding. Coming from a place where quakes rarely happened, let alone ones that could be felt like that, it was all quite disconcerting. He was tempted to take it as a sign to go back to Ryan's apartment; but the fact that he'd have to go underground to get there, combined with the fact that the people around him seemed to already calmed down was enough to push him into continuing his trek to school.

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
Marcus shot straight up as he started pedaling hard, building up a head of steam as he raced down the mostly deserted road finally gaining some momentum as he reached the top of a hill, his bike riding forward on it's own momentum now. He leaned back onto the seat of his bike, even going as far as to take his hands off the handlebars for a split second to reach for his phone.

This decision however went about as well as you would expect as another tremor hit, causing Markus' unguided bike to swerve off to the side of the road. the suddenness of it combined with his need to slide his phone back into his pocket only gave him enough time to shout a single expletive before crashing into a pile of garbage cans creating a cacophony of crashing metal that resonated throughout the quiet street.

"Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" Marcus groaned as he slowly rose to his feet running his hands down his chest twice to dust himself off before letting out a long sigh as he picked up his bike which was thankfully undamaged.

"Well at least no one was around to see that display of poor judgement and bad timing. Although in my defense my budget doesn't allow for portable seismographs so how could I have predicted that earthquake?" Marcus mused to himself the only response to his rhetorical question the cawing of a crow in a nearby tree.

"Oh who asked you?" Marcus shot back as he checked his phone for damage, thankfully remaining unharmed in the fall. Letting out another long sigh he hopped back onto his bike and continued on his way, making sure to grab onto his handlebars extra tight.

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
It was as she was pouring the coffee that the second tremor hit. She missed her mug entirely, spilling the scalding hot brew all over her hand. For her part, Iskierka screamed out, though not out of pain. Such was one of the advantages of having an artificial hand - no sense of pain. Rather, the scream was at the tremor itself and the amount of work she'd need to do.

Her entire morning; wasted. She'd need to check every system over again, from the beginning. Sighing, she placed the pot back in its home and began setting up the next brewing cycle. She washed the end of her sleeve under a faucet to prevent any permanent staining and cleaned up the spill, then made her way back to her office. There was little value in doing another diagnostic until the tremors were over, so she thought she might as well get some grading done.

One of the downsides of being a professor was the expectation that you would teach. Fortunately, she only had one class this semester; an elective Astronomy class which required little in the way of work from either her or her students - just a few late nights in the observatory and a lot of lecturing/reading. Still, they had their first tests a few days ago, so she might as well make her way through them ahead of schedule.

She'd need the time later to fix the lab after all.

If anyone of the university student characters want to know Dr. Capek, they can be in her class. Just let me know.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Harold walked along, eating a breakfast burrito-ish thing. It was more like one of those green tortilla heath wrap things, crappy as they are, but he ate it anyways, stomaching it and washing it down with some orange juice. He originally wasn't going to get it but he also wasn't thinking fully at the time, more concerned with getting a few extra sausage patties for a friend. Those same patties were in the bag now as he walked into the garage.

The boss looked up from the hood of a car at him and said, "Finally, your in. Come take a look at this car for me."

"What's wrong with it?"

"Engine troubles, something broke loose during the earthquake last night."

"So it was already about to break then..."

"Yep."

Harold walked over and inspected the engine, looking for any rusted peices or weak points. After a cursory inspection, he couldn't find a thing meaning that either the problem was underneath the engine/in some part that they couldn't veiw at which point they'd have to take it out and check or it wasn't a problem with the engine at all and it was just affecting it, rarer than the first but it did no good to rule it out.

"I'm not seeing anything...we sure that it's the engime that's the problem?"

"Yep. Thought that myself at first but then i got a good listen to the thing and it out and out confirms that it's the engine."

"Alright, just let me do a couple of quick things and i'll come and look again."

"Alright, hurry. I'd rathed not spend all day on this..."

Harold walked off and put his stuff down, making sure that they weren't on anything important before turning and ducking down. There was a dog on a leash in the corner, his head lowered and resting until he saw Harold. Harold himself started petting him, saying, "Hey buddy, how you doing? I brought you some food...", before pulling out the patties and setting them in the dog bowl next to them. The dog himself got up and started snarfing them down hungrily, as Harold continued to pet him.

"I figured that you would like it. Now, i got to go and help your owner, behave yourself ok? Alright...", he said before getting up and walking off, trying to figure out the problem with that car.

booksv2

Aug 17, 2012
Walking along the street Cameron was just trying to decide which place to get a breakfast from when the second tremor his, shaking the glass and the buildings around him. Stepping up and grabbing a lamp post and hols onto it as the tremor plays itself out. Looking back the way he came Cameron considers what damages would be done to the store.

Shaking his head he lets the post go after the tremor has finished Cameron turns down the street and keeps walking for a few minutes and when a dinner catch's his eyes. Walking in Cameron grabs a seat and waits for the few extra minutes for his order to be taken. Only ordering some coffee and pancakes he nurses his coffee as he watch's people walk along the street and inside the dinner itself.

Half hour later

Sliding out of the seat and standing Cameron leaves the money on the table with a generous tip, he walks out turning around slowly he starts walking down the street towards the university. Looking at his watch he speeds up and takes a few of the side streets. Walking onto the university campus he keeps walking quickly and until he gets to the main halls ways and steps into his normal class room, looking around and frowning he see;s the cranky woman here instead of his normal professors. Walking over he knocks on the old cranky woman's desk and leans against it.

"Hey, where's the prof who is normally here?"

She looks up and over he small glasses at Cameron and glares at him in her best annoyed old lady. Cameron ignores it and keeps leaning against her desk as he waits and looks at her. She huffs and straightens some of the papers on her desk.

"That class has been moved to room 308. You may want to hurry if you don't want to be late.... young man."
The last words said with a soft scorn that he ignored again, used to it now. The fact his shop is half owned by the Yakuza seeming to be known to every professor on campus but only the fact they had it, not the part about what they did to get it.

Standing and walking out of the room he looks at the numbers above the door and walks down the halls and up some of the stairs. Weaving through the students still puttering about the building Cameron walks into the 308 door and walks along the top edge of the sparsely filled room to take one of the seats on the top back edge of the room. Leaning back in his chair Cameron watch's the clock as it slowly ticks its way to 9.

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
Marcus pulled up to the front parking lot of New Western finding a nearby pole that was holding up an outdoor verandah to chain his bike to, he pulled out his mobile phone wondering if his grades for his first astronomy test were e-mailed to him yet, it was doubtful what with the fact he only had the test a few days ago and combined with his assumption that his professor was more interested in performing research than her actual teaching duties but it was nice to check anyway. He was sure he passed, the test wasn't all that difficult despite the fact that his professor, Dr. Capek was apparently a genius in her field, having worked for the department of defense previously if Marcus could recall correctly.

But that wasn't why he was here, he was here for his other elective, English literature. After his earlier spill Marcus contemplated not even showing up but he never was the kind of guy to leave things half finished and to him falling face first into garbage only served to strengthen his resolve to complete his journey, he'd already come this far so why stop now?.

Checking his phone he realized he was already late by 20 minutes dashing into the main building Marcus weaved around the crowds of students noticing the few odd looks he received, he chalked them up to the fact he had a reputation around here due to his bout of depression and a certain incident that from what he last heard was mutilated by the rumor mill to the point of absurdity that forced him to abandon his studies last year.

Moving through another crowd of students he reached the entrance to his usual lecture theater discovering a note taped to the front door.

"9am English literature lecture has been moved to room 308"

"Moved eh?, so much for random algorithms" Marcus let out a long sigh before running off again to 308, he was able to make it there quicker than he expected what with the fact he had attended this university for close to three years and knew his way around pretty well, he entered quietly and tried to make as little noise as possible as he found a seat near the back although it was pretty hard not to notice a lone individual entering a lecture theater during a lecture.

As mentioned there's several rumors surrounding Markus and why he stopped going to university what rumor you believe in or whether or not your character believes in them at all is up to you

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
The clock on the wall ticked towards 9 as the first students of the day filed in, the more studious and less party prone ones were always the first in. David suspected the room change had made them come in early, just to make sure they were in the right room. Cameron Jacques was amongst the early birds, the one with ties to the Yakuza. David didn't know how Cameron had gotten himself wrapped up with people like that but he didn't want to know.

Inevitably, most of the students arrived at around two minutes past nine and didn't get settled until five minutes past nine. This was the way of things and David appreciated that nobody was in their best condition on a monday morning, especially after that tremor and its unsettling recent aftershock. It was time to start:

"Oh so you're all going to sit at the back then? Just as well we've got these microphones and speakers. Just a quick reminder, your first assignment is in for this Friday, I hope you're all getting on with it and I know some of you have already finished and I've received your submissions, positive stuff so far. For those who need help or have any questions about where to go with it, stick around at the end of the lecture or see me in the break." David was always annoyed that everybody always tried to sit as far back as possible, it didn't mean they weren't interested, but it did make them more prone to getting distracted.

"Right, let's pick up where we left off last week, Frankenstein's multi-layered embedded narrative. Our primary narrative is Walton's letter to his sister, embedded in which is Victor's narrative and embedded in that is the monsters narrative. We'll be focusing on that today."

Twenty minutes later

"Alright so when the monster refers to his 'protectors' what do you make of this?" Asked David of the room.

"It's ironic and in many ways tragic because they're not protecting him from anything and as soon as they see him he gets thrown out. These people he's been watching for ages and got attached to hate him the first time they see him." Was the response from one of his students.

"Yes, exactly. Good answer Melissa, this being the monster's first encounter with humans aside from Victor it-" David stopped mid sentence as the door opened and Marcus Law sheepishly entered. He tried to be quiet but ended up making more noise and drawing more attention to himself because the students who had been listening to David had now looked at his reason for silence. Marcus made his way to a vacant seat at the back, David decided not to raise the issue right now, it would waste time.

"Anyway, as I was saying, this is one of the formative events in the monsters narrative...." Continued David. Time passed until the lecture hit a half time break at 10:30, "Right, you've got a 20 minute break. Any questions about the assignment, see me now if you want to get away on time for lunch."

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
As soon as he left the apartment, Leon instantly ducked around a corner and out of sight. A few back street turns and a couple of fence climbs later, he finally came to an old building where his friends were waiting.

All of them greeted Leon with their usual round of high fives. Leon was more or less the leader of this little group, and they all followed him loyally.

"So, what's the plan?" Piped up Carlos, the youngest member of the group. At only 15, he was proving himself to be just as capable as his fellow peers.

"I figured we could hit up the arcade for a bio, then get a bite to eat before catching a movie. Sound good?" The rest of his gang all nodded in agreement. "Alright, let's go."

Not much going on right now, I'll probably add more when I can.

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
Marcus' head shot up from it's resting position at the mention of a break having nearly fallen asleep from the past hour and 10 minutes of lecturing he welcomed any opportunity to get up and stretch his legs. He rose from his seat rubbing away the drowsiness that was forming in his eyes.

"never would have guessed a novel about an angry monster that goes on a killing spree then flees to the north would be such a bore" Marcus said to himself, his tired self looking around for his bag before realizing he didn't bring it. He decided that since he was about to fall asleep anyway he would get some studying done in the library across campus, he exited the lecture theater along with the crowd of students.

Making his way out onto the grounds he crossed the courtyard separating the library from the majority of the lecture theaters and classrooms, it was a mostly green expanse of land framed on each side by tall dignified looking buildings with a path running around it leading to each one, several students were hanging out, talking with friends, studying outside or just enjoying the sun by themselves.

Reaching the library Markus pushed open a set of double doors as he strode inside looking around for a copy of Frankenstein he managed to find one before going to the second floor and sitting down near a window looking out at the courtyard he had just crossed.

booksv2

Aug 17, 2012
Using some paper he had grabbed before class Cameron wrote down sparse notes, just the highlights of the points the professor was talking about. It still filled 2 pages, front and back.
At the 20 minute mark roughly a student walked in, trying to hide his entrance. This failed when the prof talking up front stopped and stared at the student as he walked in and tried to find and use one of the crowded seats in the back. finally catching one forward and to the right some Cameron looks up briefly before going back to write down the main points on the screen.

-Break-

Right, you've got a 20 minute break. Any questions about the assignment, see me now if you want to get away on time for lunch.

Looking up and dropping his pen Cameron starts massaging his writing hand deeply and wincing at the deep pain he can feel. Wishing he had a laptop so he could just type it all out he grabs all his notes and folds them up to stick them in his pockets. Walking out with the majority of students he quickly turns and walks down a much less crowded hall way to a small outside sitting area with some trees.

Sitting down against a tree and putting an alarm on his phone for 15 minutes Cameron leans his head back and stares up at the sky as the time passes. Sighing and making a face he thinks.
Crap, i forgot to do the reading for that astronomy class. And I'm sure my marks on that last test were less than spectacular.

Stretching and closing his eyes Cameron drifts off slightly, just enough the time passes in a blink before his phone starts blaring at him. Growling softly and getting up he silences his phone and starts a slow walk back to the classroom.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
"Come Sleipnir, we ride to Valhalla!"
Kevin mounted his bicycle.
It would be a short trip, but the traffic between Tom's and the university was always abysmal.
Kevin hit the main road. The traffic was indeed abysmal. There were the standard problems of cars not respecting the pecking order and turning through his path while he was trying to get across, idiotic pedestrians who saw the bike lane as an additional section of sidewalk, and then acted like Kevin was the asshole in that scenario.
And then there was the cabbies. Oh god the cabbies. Stopping in the bike lane to pick up and drop off, many close encounters with their doors, and just inconsiderate driving trying to get to their destination with irresponsible speed.
People who are dumb enough to drive in a city should be declared legally infirm and be forbidden from operating motor vehicles.
Kevin was making great time in spite of these annoyances. It was a large order, so assuming he got tipped on percentage, it would be a good day. He really despised the people who only tipped a couple of dollars regardless of the size of the order and thought that was acceptable. Unfortunately, that was becoming more and more of a problem with things like Grub Hub, Seamless Web, and other services that offer all of the hassle of ordering food for both parties, and none of the benefits. People usually put up the tip in advance on those, and it was always abysmal. Maybe it was because they didn't have to look him in the eye when they tipped, so they didn't feel bad about being stingy?
This delivery was traditional though. None of that online bullshit. Professors always tipped him well, and an order of this size was probably a faculty breakfast.
Kevin arrived at the university, and dismounted Sleipnir.
As Kevin walked into the Astronomy department, he felt a noticeable tremor. Growing up here had made it so seismic activity rarely bothered him unless it was severe. This was moderate.
Kevin walked up to the front desk.
"I've got a delivery for a..."
Kevin checked the receipt.
"...Dr. Capek."

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
"Cameron Jacques... 9.5 + 8.25 + 6.25 + 10 + 22.5 + 13.25... + .2 bonus... 69.95/100" Iskierka said to herself as she worked her way through the tests. With rounding, that brought him up to a C- for the exam. Apparently someone was cutting it close with his grades.

She was about to continue her grading when she received a call from the department office. "Dr. Capek. You have a delivery from Tom's Diner. Breakfast by the smell." the receptionist said, prompting Iskierka to check her watch. She was a bit surprised at how late it was; grading always seemed to take more time than expected. "Of course. I'll be there in a moment. Have the delivery put in the break-room if you don't mind." she said before hanging up, grabbing her purse, and making her way down to the front desk.

The faculty had a joyous and terrible habit of having a very large breakfast once a week, passing the bill around the lot of them. This week was, of course, her turn to pay. It certainly had its benefits - the large breakfast usually doubled as an impromptu meeting, making the actual meetings much, much shorter. Not to mention, the orders moved from restaurant to restaurant, allowing them to try new foods they would otherwise have never tried. Of course, the Astronomy and Astrophysics students also enjoyed the leftovers being put out in one of the labs later as free game.

The downside was how little it helped any of their waistlines.

As she entered the department office, she saw the delivery man - a young African-American man with short hair and a bike helmet - waiting at the desk, some of the order in hand. The whole room smelled of breakfast at this point; something she could hardly find fault with. "Good morning." she said, taking the bill off the front desk. A few quick calculations (roughly dividing the total by five) and she was ready to pay. She pulled out her billfold and handed the young man his payment and tip (roughly 20%).

Looking at the rather large order, she picked up a pair of boxes of hot coffee and spoke again. "Would you mind helping me take all this to the break room? It's just around the corner."

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
After Drake arrived at his first class of the day, his panic from the tremor at the station had mostly subsided, though it could have been because the lecture helped distract him. It was interesting enough, dealing with methods of legal research that the class would have to conduct later, and was a good opportunity to take detailed notes...

...that is, until the shaking started.

It was weak at first, like being next to an 18-wheeler driving by, but then it got worse. Somewhat "used" to these events, given what had happened in the early morning, most students tried to ignore it. Then, stuff that was mounted to the walls and ceiling began to shake loose, and that's when everyone panicked.

Luckily, Drake never liked to be stuck behind the traffic leaving on a normal day, so he always sat near the door. Today, that came especially handy, as he was one of the first out the door. A tidal wave of people followed him, most scrambling to the exit.

Just making it out after dodging glass falling from broken windows above, Drake ran to an open quad nearby, figuring that he was safest away from the buildings. It was there that he saw it, in a wide gap between two buildings, Mt. Highfort, it's former peak now blown apart. Instead, a strange, glowing smoke of several colors spewed forth from the mountain's top. Lighting arced across the smoke, but some random bolts also struck the ground, the thunder that followed was so loud Drake thought his eardrums might burst.

However, the event wasn't over. The ground continued to shake, and Drake heard what sounded like bones breaking. Seconds later, he could see what was making the sound, as cracks along the sides of the mountain began to spread open, revealing a bluish glow.

Then, almost like an explosion, the blue glow blew out like a shockwave. It washed over the mountain's surroundings and then hit the city, sweeping over it like water.

When it washed over Drake, he suddenly felt dizzy, and his head started to throb with incredible pain. Before Drake could even lift a hand to grasp at his cranium, he lost consciousness.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Harold's boss had wandered off to look for something so Harold was joined by a coworker, a man named Adam, in his efforts to figure out the problem with this damn car. They tried tinkering with it, moving and disconnecting a few tubes, stuff like that. They found nothing, so they started the car again and tried to locatethe exact place ths noise was coming from, which was going well...until the familiar clunk of somthing breaking sounded. In the end, they just decided to do a complete diagnostic of the car. They got it locked in and started.

Harold was conveniently underneath the car when the dog started barking. Adam started to get nervous, not being much of a dog fan, when this started so Harold got out from underneath to see what was wrong. The dog, normally docile and calm, was going insane, slamming into the wall and the cabinet next to it, biting his chain and trying to pull it off of the wall.

"Hey buddy, what's wr- GAH!", he said, jumping back as the dog whipped around, trying to bite him. Harold hadn't seen anything like this from this dog before, usually finding him laying about, being lazy, not near rabies-filled. He tried calming the dog down again but to no avail, it just wouldn't stop long enough for him to get near.

Then the shaking started. Harold had breifly wondered if this was how the dog had acted this morning before he had arrived...it didn't seem right though. This dog should be somewhat used to this type of quake right now, it wasn't even strong enough to be called an aftershock! As he thought this, the shocks became stronger and stronger, causing Harold to become unnerved more and more. He kept an eye out on Adam too, the man being clearly unnerved by the shocks more than Harold was.

"I'm going to go outside, check the situation!", Adam yelled out, legging it to the garage door and heading out. Harold was about to ask why when Adam started shouting, so Harold went to the front to peer out and figure out what he was saying.

"WHAT?"

Adam was standing in the middle of the street, looking towards the mountain. When he saw Harold he ran back to the parking lot.

"The top of the mountain has come off! It's pouring out some kind of weird smoke!"

"...What!? The mountain is turning into a volcano?"

"No! The smoke is glowy and near rainbow-like!"

"...What."

"It's glowy and rainbow-like! It's got multiple colors coming out! Come see!"

No thank you, i'm not an idiot, Harold wanted to say. No thank you, your not pulling my leg, he wanted to say. No thank you, if weird crap is happening then i'd rather not stand out in the open like an idiot and get hurt, he wanted to say. He wanted to say all of that but he really didn't know the situation...and he really didn't want to.

"No, get back in here! Don't stand out in the open like an idiot when you don't know what's going on!"

"I'm going to stay out here and see what happens!", Adam responded, seeming to flat out ignore him, before running out into the street to look again...

"It's shooting lightning now!"

"You idiot...," Harold muttered to himself before walking out as stabile as he could, intending to drag him back in. "If mother nature is doing some weird crap, don't stand around like an idiot, GET INSI-", He managed, before the deafening sound of thunder brought him to his knees in shock. Looking up, he saw Adam was suffering from the same issue...and wasn't paying attention as an oncoming driver, himself having lost control of the car, slammed into Adam before crashing into a light post himself. Adam sailed through the air for what seemed like an eternity to Harold before finally slamming into the ground, hard.

"ADAM!", Harold shouted, hearing a cracking like that of bones. He assumed that it had something to do with his ears, focusing more on his coworker who may or may not have just died.

Harold began sprinting to him, as much as the ground would allow, trying to get to Adam and check if he was alive. He didn't have the time to check, he didn't even have time to check the driver, who was closer, as in mid-sprint, he was knocked off of his feet and sent sprawling by the ground and some blue force that rolled through. Harold didn't know what happened, and why his head suddenly felt like it was on fire, he couldn't even think at the moment due to the pain in his head, he just tried to get back up. Climbing to his knees, he collapsed again as the earth continued to shake around him, holding his head. He rolled onto his back, unable to think straight before passing out the form the pain in his head, finally getting one thought off.

'This day just keeps getting better and better...'

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
Marcus was absorbed in the copy of Frankenstein he was reading, despite his behavior in the lecture he was actually interested in the book he was reading, however interest could only get you so far and being naturally inclined to be a programmer meant he had a tough time grasping the more subtle parts of interpreting literature which as a result caused his grades to suffer, according to his previous results he was passing but only just.

Marcus was still reading when he felt another tremor underneath him this one small and barely noticeable from the top of a second story building.

"well at least I'm not on a bike this time" Marcus joked to himself paying the shaking no mind however it forced his attention as it grew in strength, several shelves rocking back and forth, their contents spilling onto the floor below. Marcus held onto the table he was sitting at attempting to stay upright, the tremors quickly growing more and more violent.

However the tremors quickly took a back seat to a student running inside screaming "Mt. Highfort's erupting!, it's blowing rainbow smoke everywhere!". To Marcus this seemed like the rantings of a mad man, erupting he could believe, even though he didn't believe that either, but rainbow smoke? that's ridiculous. Marcus tried to turn his attention back to his book but the sudden sound of thunder outside made it impossible, Marcus could never resist a lightning storm, he searched for the nearest window and looked outside dropping his book in the process.

There really was rainbow smoke coming from the mountain!. Lightning bolts were racing through the sky some of them striking the earth closer than Marcus would have liked. Marcus stood there in stunned silence finally able to utter one single sentence.

"whelp the world's ending, good thing I watched 2012 and am prepared for this or else I'd be scared outta my mind...wait no I didn't watch 2012 that was only the trailer before that movie one time" it was at this moment that Marcus was met with a sudden uncontrollable urge to run, run as fast as he could back home and hide under the covers, what else was he to do in this situation?.

Marcus bolted outside pushing his way through the crowd of fleeing students fighting his way downstairs and through the double doors into the courtyard. He looked up at the sky a bolt of lightning striking the ground at his feet barely missing him and sending him falling straight onto his backside. Scared witless he looked up at the sky finding himself transfixed by an approaching blue force of some kind, it's mere presence seemingly sapping him of his energy before finally washing over him the tiredness now compounded by an intense painful throbbing in his head, the pain forcing him onto his back as he started to drift away into unconsciousness.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Things began going south for Leon a few hours after he left the apartment.

They were just hanging out at the arcade, as usual, when a policeman approached them. "Excuse me, but shouldn't you boys be in school?"

The teens stiffened, knowing that they were in trouble now. "Scatter!" Leon hissed, and the boys all took off ata run, heading out the door.

"Wait, stop!" The officer shouted, but Leon didn't listen, blindly running through the streets and scrambling over a chain link fence to get away. Glancing around wildly, he was about to decide whether or not find a fires escape to climb up, when the earth began to shake.

It was a small thing at first, but soon increased in intensity that nearly knocked him off his feet. Looking up, Leon could see Mt Highfort in the distance seemed to be blowing rainbow smoke from its shattered peak as lighting flashed against the sky. It was frightening and somehow beautiful at the same time.

Leon was rooted to the spot, staring in amazement at the sight. Suddenly, some strange blue force surrounded his form, and the tenager grabbed his head in pain before mercifully blacking out.

booksv2

Aug 17, 2012
Walking along the building back to class Cameron was just a few dozen feet from the door when the first small tremor hit. Stopping and setting his hand on the wall he looks around and shakes his head.
How many of these tremors are we going to have to go through before they stop? I hope Ren can get the store cleaned up before to long.

Standing against the wall waiting for this small one to pass Cameron looks around as it starts to shake harder and harder. The windows shaking in their settings and people inside starting to scream and run out of the buildings. Turning back the way he had come Cameron runs back down the side of the building and into the small park like area he had been resting. Running into it and pressing back against the tree he looks around and watch's the windows shake and rattle. Glass tinkling as it falls he is facing the wrong way to see the mountain, the colored smoke and lightning he misses. But the thunder grabs his attention is grabbed and he looks around wildly as it cracks and booms around and behind him.

Jumping and cursing out loud as lightning strikes the building ahead of him and scorch's the brick as well as breaking glass all around Cameron hugs the tree against his back and his head fly's up and looks around wildly looking for the source of a new sound. Breaking bones and stone crashing through the air and mostly behind him Cameron slowly looks around the edge of the tree just as the flash of blue washed over the university and hit him like a cannon. Stumbling backwards already loosing his conscious and falls to the ground several feet away trying to scream from the pain inside his skull. His vision turning black just as he hits the ground.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
This was more than a simple tremor, this was proper earthquake! David rushed out of the lecture theatre and made his way to the stairs, rushing down in a panic to get out.

"Everybody get out! Don't stop to take anything, don't wait for others just go!" Shouted David to the students as he ushered them out of the building.

Sprinting now, not far behind the large amounts of students also fleeing the University building, David was almost down to the ground floor when a flashing wave of blue swept through the building as if the walls didn't exist. The students seemed unaffected, but David was thrown to the ground and fell onto the last few steps, losing consciousness as the blue wave passed him.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Kevin was met with a blonde woman in a lab coat, and a good tip.
"Would you mind helping me take all this to the break room? It's just around the corner."
"Gladly."
The food was taken to the break room, and Kevin set it out.
"Perfect."
Suddenly everything began to shake, knocking all of the food on the floor.
"Typical, really."
Thankfully, Kevin had already been paid, and as such this would not be docked from his pay.
The tremors intensified.
Kevin tackled the blonde woman out of the way of a collapsing chunk of ceiling.
Then everything went blue.