The New World: A Cataclysmic Birth (A Superpowered RP, Closed)

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
Iskierka was in the break room, putting the last of the food out on the table when it happened. At first, she'd thought it was just another tremor. A moment later, the world seemed to splinter in the most violent of ways. Iskierka however barely noticed for, outside the small break room window, the top of their nearby mountain seemed to explode in color.

She'd likely have continued to stand their in awe, her scientific mind already running to every lesson she could recall trying to make sense of the phenomenon - to little success for that matter - were it not for a sudden push from her side, knocking her to the ground.

She glanced at the source of the unexpected force - the delivery boy, ready to yell at him for the action when she saw the ceiling collapse above where she'd been standing. "Okay; safety first." she thought; glancing at her hand for a moment. "Thanks, lets get out of h-" she started to say, pulling him to his feet when a blue light invaded the room.

For a moment, it wasn't such a big deal; just a lot of light. The next, her brain felt like it was on fire. Her whole body felt like it was being devoured by unseen flames. She didn't even have a chance to think it was the end of her before she'd slumped over; pain stealing her consciousness from her.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
As the victims of the Cataclysm slumbered, unaware of the potential that blossomed inside them, time moved forward. Emergency response was quick, if a bit sloppy, and aid stations were setup across the city. Those in need, of which there were many, were taken to these stations to be cared for.

As a whole, Portsfield struggled to recover in the time immediately after the event, but once contact with the rest of the world was reestablished, it found that it was one of many cities in need. For now, it was on its own, with whatever token help the strained nation as a whole could provide

Drake awoke in a strange bed, his head still aching almost as hard as it was when he passed out. In a daze, he struggled to get out of bed, only to have a shadow come over him and gently press him back into bed. "Don't get up, Drake, you're safe. We're here to help you."

"Huh...? What? Where am I?" Drake looked around as his vision started to focus. First came the shadow who spoke, soon turning into a redhead with a pretty face, then came his surroundings. Eventually he realized he was in a gym, one on New Western's campus by the looks of it. "Wait, how long have I been-?"

"About a day, you must have been in shock when the quake started, we couldn't find any signs of trauma." The nurse looked at a clipboard she quickly flipped through several pages on. "Tell me, are you feeling all right now?"

"No." Drake slumped back in bed as he rubbed his temples, feeling only slightly better in doing so. "I have this terrible headache."

The nurse nodded sympathetically, but pursed her lips. "I'm sorry, but our supplies are running low, so I'm afraid we can't get you anything for that. I'll go try to find the doctor and have him take a better look at you. For now, rest."

With that, the nurse was gone, and Drake was alone. However, even though he had no idea if Ryan was okay, or his parents for that matter, all he could focus on was the pain. A pain so deep it was like his skull was splitting open. He tried to distract himself, to find something else to focus on, but there was little to see. The only things worth noting was the bag he was hooked up to and the sticker on his shirt that displayed his name. "Ugh, so they went through my...argh!" Another shock went through his head, and Drake practically forced himself back into unconsciousness.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
"No no. The blue was a few shades lighter than that." Iskierka tried to explain; again. She was lying in a bed, dressed in the same clothes she'd been in when the disaster hit. Beside her, a dozen of her colleagues, scientists from other departments, and officials from a vague, yet menacing government agency asked her questions about what she'd seen. Apparently, she'd been one of the first awake and one of the only scientists in the college to see the strange phenomenon first hand. As such, everyone seemed to have questions.

"And anyway, as I said, the burst of colors came first; the blue light was the last thing I saw before the headache hit." she said, trying desperately to explain what had happened. Much of what had happened seemed entirely mysterious which only left her more curious than ever about it.

One of the medical personnel ran by, drawing Iskierka's attention. "Miss." she called out, hoping to get her attention. The woman looked over and sighed, already knowing what to expect. "I'm sorry Dr. Capek. We can't allow you to go. You're registering a temperature of 105.2. Until your fever calms down, we need to keep you under observation." she said, annoying the professor.

"I've never felt better. Your equipment must be off." she said, annoyed. It was clear she was fully awake and functioning. Her temperature wasn't anywhere near that high and she knew it. Besides; she was needed elsewhere. She was needed studying the phenomenon like everyone else.

Still, if she didn't listen to her doctors, the Dean had made her termination expressly clear. Needless to say, it was a huge bother for which she could do nothing. She took one of the bagels the delivery boy had brought - moved to the gym for all to partake after the explosion - and ate it in frustration.

She WANTED to be studying the eruption!

As she ate, she failed to notice that her previously unheated bagel had become toasted in her hands.

1 guess what my power is >_>

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
Marcus' eyes suddenly snapped open the intense throbbing in his head having subsided. He looked from side to side and found himself in one of the gym's in New Western in a makeshift hospital bed, obviously set up to aid those affected by the disaster. The moment he rose to a sitting position he was set upon by a nurse, a blonde who if Marcus wasn't currently focused on the disaster and subsequently the weird blue light it generated that somehow forced him into unconsciousness would have found quite attractive. The nurse proceeded to prod and poke him alongside the usual questions about his well being, Marcus deflecting each one with an insistence that he was fine.

"I'm okay, I'm okay, really there's probably other people you could be healing now that need it more than me" Marcus said raising his head to give the nurse a big smile in an attempt to convince her to leave. His cheap gambit looked like it was working, the nurse backing away from him however she wasn't completely convinced.

"Mr. Law you were out cold for almost a day, you can't leave until you've been cleared by a doctor" The nurse said, one hand on her hip, obviously annoyed the she was being brushed off.

"Geez, a day?. Fine I'll just lay here until someone tells me to leave, but I'd just like to rest now if that's okay?" Marcus wasn't actually tired he didn't even feel sore, right now he felt... normal. He would have liked to be able to go home or at the very least find out if his bike was still in suitable condition, it's status as his only mode of transport giving it a somewhat special place in his heart.

"Alright fine your vital signs seem okay, so just rest up and call someone if you need help" The nurse said turning around and walking away still obviously annoyed.

Left to his own devices Markus' stared up at the ceiling trying to figure out the blue light that knocked him unconscious, it was unlike anything he's ever seen or heard about before.

"government project? nah they wouldn't hide stuff in a mountain like that, natural gasses? possibly although I doubt nobody would have come into contact with it until today, alien invasion strategy? okay the nerd in me wants to believe that one so why not?, until otherwise disproven the blue light was a plan set in motion by aliens"

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
David was awake and on a bed in the University gym. He'd been awake for a while, long enough to have been told his apartment building was intact but off limits for now. Some people had come asking him what he remembered about the incident, he had been unconscious for a day though he had no head injury. There were some bruised ribs and a couple of cuts from his fall down the stairs but there was no reason to lose consciousness other than the blue light. His answers seemed enough to satisfy them and he was told that he could be up and about again and that he could use the bed until his home was safe to return to. He was also given back his phone, which had survived and had some missed calls from his parents. A quick text back let them know he was okay.

As David left the gym he went for a walk outside to see the damage for himself. Despite the bruised ribs and cuts that required a cotton pad and bandages on his chest, David was feeling oddly fine, his injuries didn't hurt at the moment and he was allowed outside as long as he didn't go too far from the University grounds. As he crossed the campus he saw the building he had been in, shattered windows, cracked walls and the roof had gone in. David waved over a member of the clear up team,

"Hey, I worked here, I just wanted to know if everyone made it out."

"It's Mr Earle isn't it? We got you out just in time but that's because we could see you from the front door. Not everyone was as lucky, a few students on the top floor and an old woman, probably in her 60s. We haven't been able to identify her, do you know anyone like that who was here?"

"That's Mrs Adams," said David in shock, "She wasn't supposed to be up there, she was teaching a class on the floor below me. Why was she on the top floor?"

"I'm sorry sir, but my best guess is she went up to make sure everyone got out. As far as we can tell a group of students tried to ride it out in a room on the top floor, they and the old woman were found in the corridor, but the ceiling had come down over everything."

"Of course, I understand. I'll let you get back to work." Said David, walking away from the buildings and into the centre of the campus. Here it was quiet and peaceful, though the surrounding area was broken and ruined. David stood in quiet contemplation of recent events.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Harold sat up and looked around. Truthfully, he had awoken a little while ago, but he wanted to get a scope of the situation. He had found that wherever he was, some hospital or station or something, but no doctor was present at the moment. They had removed his jacket and hooked him up to a machine, he didn't know why but he assumed that it was standard procedure.

He didn't feel out of the ordinary, just a bit sore and, as he checked, he had a bruise on his head from when he was bowled over by...something. Not having a first person account of what had gone on with the mountain or how that blue energy had come about had left him grasping for some sort of explanation. Hopefully he would get one now that the doctors had noticed that he was awake. One rushed in to check on him

"Hey doc. So, what happened?"

The doctor ran on an explanation that Harold didn't catch half of before rattling out a bunch of questions about how he felt. He then explained that they had examined his head, finding an unusual amount of activity in one part and almost dead silence in another. They were actually convinced that he was brain-dead so the fact that he was up and working fine was baffling to say the least. He stayed for a few more hours as they tried to examine his brain scans some more but due to nothing being physically wrong with him, they were eventually forced to let him leave so that they could use the room for someone else.

He did at least try to find out about Adam before he left but nobody had any huge record of what happened to him due to the rather chaotic nature of the hospital at the time. He hoped that his coworker was alright but, as it was, he had no way to track down what had happened to him. With that, he headed back off, to see if he even had a job anymore or if the building was destroyed.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
As Leon came to, he realized he wasn't lying in the alleyway anymore, not unless concrete suddenly got soft. He opened his eyes, he found himself lying in a makeshift hospital bed. With a groan, he pushed himself up, just as a nurse entered.

'Oh, you're awake!" She said cheerfully. "Can I get you anything?"

"Um... not really, no."

"Okay then." The nurse said, and pulled out a clipboard. "Name please?"

"Leon Vargas." She nodded and wrote it down.

"Alright, any family members we can contact?"

Leon paused. Sure he had his parents in Backfield, but he hadn't seen either of them in years, and doubted they even cared about him. On the other hand, his uncle did honestly care for his well-being, even if he did ask some uncomfortable questions.

"Sir?"

"Huh? Oh yeah..." For once, Leon figured he'd just bite the bullet, and gave the nurse his Uncle's name and phone number.

"Alright, we'll contact him as soon as possible." The nurse said, and exited the room. Leon lay back on his pillow, and for a moment he wished he could just disappear...

booksv2

Aug 17, 2012
Staring awake and jerking up Cameron's hand shoots to his head and he holds it as a shooting pain rockets from his brain down his spine before it slowly fades into a dull ache. Sitting there for a few seconds he can feel hands grabbing his shoulders and pushing him back to where he was laying down, realizing its a soft thing and not the hard ground he remembers rushing up to hit him in the face.

"Stay down. We still need to do some tests and make sure there's nothing wrong with you. We have been trying to X-ray you to check if you have any broken bones but we are having some small problems. Lay still for now."

Cameron opens his eyes slowly and looks up at the female voice that had been talking to him he blinks a few times as he looks at her. Rubbing his head slowly Cameron looks around the room he is in, small and with several other beds also holding people he recognizes one of the side rooms used in the university for storage.

Looking over at a corner of the room as a low humming starts he can see what he assumes is an X-ray machine as it starts up. Jumping slightly as what looks like water pours out of it and wash's over the patient in front of it, looking at the nurse for a second and looking back he frowns and closes his eyes.

Laying back and turning his face up as the nurse above him keeps asking some questions.

"Name please? Do you know what year it is? Where were you when you passed out? Is there anyone we can call for you? Why were you at the university?"
Standing above him with a clipboard and a pen she looks down at Cameron and waits for his answer.

Frowning slowly he rubs his head slowly as he answers.
"Ummm.... my name is Cameron Jaques, its the year 2014. I was in... a small area in between 2 buildings with some trees and grass. No, no one you can call for me. I'm taking a few classes and it was a break."

Looking around more and frowning Cameron looks at the nurse with more concentration and nods around.
"Can i leave? I feel fine and there's no pain other than some headache from what i assume is landing on my face."

Looking at the clipboard and taking some notes as Cameron talked she looks over at it him and lifts a few of the papers.
"Well... There's no broken bones from what we can see and no bleeding either. We couldn't feel any cracks in your skull so... yes you can leave, but leave a number for us to reach you just in case we need to ask you some more questions."
Holding the clipboard out to Cameron the nurse taps one box with the pen before handing it over.

Taking it and sitting up slowly Cameron writes in his cell number before handing it back and slowly standing. Stretching and groaning at sore muscles Cameron does some twists and bends before standing and smiling more, nodding at the nurse and stepping around some beds to get to the door. Pausing just as he is about to walk out and looking at the X-ray machine for several seconds he shakes his head and walks out the door.
What was that? I know that's not how X-ray machines usually work because it wasn't like that when i had have some done.

Shaking his head again Cameron walks until he finds a hallway he recognizes and Turning to follow it he steps outside slowly and stands there as he looks around. Closing his eyes and lifting his head slightly he takes a deep breath and turns to walk along the main path leading to the parking lot and bus stops.

Pulling his phone out and dialing the store he holds it to his ear as it rings. Raising his head as someone answers Cameron starts talking.
"Ren? That you? Good, how bad was that new tremor for the store?..... That bad? Well close the store for the rest of the day and use it to clean up and restock. Yes call the suppliers and get replacements. I was caught up in some things at the uni and ill be home in a while."

Hanging up the phone and putting it back in his pocket Cameron keeps walking along the main path until he gets to the first of several bus stops. Sitting down and leaning back against the glass Cameron closes his eyes and leans back more.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Once Kevin got his bearings, his mind began to race.
What happened? Shit!
Kevin stumbled out of the building.
He pulled out his phone and called Tom's, to make sure nobody was hurt in the tremor.
"The number you have called, is not available at this time. Please try again later.
Landlines were probably down from the quake.
He tried calling the cell of a friend who worked there.
"Kevin? You all right?"
"I'm fine Gabe, is everyone all right over there?"
"A little shook up, but nothing too major."
"That's good, got to make some more calls."
Kevin called his mother next.
"Kevin, I was worried!"
"It's good to hear your voice."
"I'm going to be stuck working late since the ER is filling up with injured from the quake. Be safe."
"I will."
Kevin unlocked his bike, and rode back to Tom's, just as emergency workers starting arriving on the scene.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
"He's complaining about a headache, doctor, and from how he looked earlier, he's in a great deal of pain. We still have some painkillers, but I thought you wanted to save those for the patients with more severe injuries."

Drake could hear the voice of the nurse as he roused once again from his slumber. The pain in his head was still present, but had faded from the intensity it had when he first awoke.

"Hmmm, a headache with no visible trauma. I'd want to get a good MRI and see if there may be internal injuries regardless...if the lab wasn't already reporting being booked solid for days."

"Couldn't we at least schedule him for a later appointment?"

"I already did, but for now all we can do is give him something for the pain. I think we can spare a bottle of something light." Drake could hear a whisper of something unintelligible and then the footsteps of someone briskly walking away.

Thinking the coast was clear, Drake rolled over in his cot, only to be met with the glare of a middle-aged doctor looking quite tired. "Oh, you're awake. Good, I wanted to talk to you about your head, does it still hurt?"

"Yeah, but not as much when I first woke up." Drake was able to stomach sitting up, unlike when he first tried to get out of the bed. "I think I just need to rest some more."

The doctor gave a slight smile. "Good, because someone has come by to get you, looking quite distressed I might add. Just stay here for a few moments while I have someone bring you something for the pain. Also, I'd like to talk to you about a follow-up appointment at a proper facility so we can make sure you haven't suffered any permanent injuries."

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Harold walked down the street, observing the damage that had been done. A few places were torn down and wrecked by the earthquakes but all and all, most of the buildings held up quite well. Of course, there was some damage not done by the earthquake, easily recognizable by the busted in windows and the angry store managers standing outside of them, either waiting for the cops or ranting at them. Looters, why some people decided to turn to that when a natural (or unnatural, as the pillar of light coming from the mountain denoted) disaster was happening, he couldn't fathom. It seemed stupid that you would take advantage of the fact that the world was crumbling around you to steal instead of work towards surviving. He felt bad for those unfortunate officers who had to go and try to track down the stolen goods while they also tried to keep the peace. Maybe he would try to help out...after he got his stuff, of course.

He also noted a few places had been turned into emergency centers in the wake of the quake, like the University, as he crossed it. He also got a copy of the Port Caller while he was there, and was surprised to learn of all the crap the rest of the world was dealing with while they were occupied. He had thought of the quake as a centralized event, only around them currently, but he guessed that the current mess that Portsfield was suffering from was just one of several, tailer-made disaster that affected the world. He didn't understand anything about this "strange energy" that they were reporting...but he conceded that that may have been what bowled him over during the shaking.

He read on as he walked, taking care to avoid certain places as they tended to give an annoying tingling to the back of his head, probably due to some smell...but he would bring it up with a doctor next chance he saw one. He moved around a constriction crew, probably repairing one of the pipes that he read about, and turned the corner to find the garage, worn and nearly crumbling but still standing. The boss was standing in front of it, inspecting the damage when Harold walked up and greeted him, despite the tingling sensation coming from inside.

"Hey, boss-man!"

"GAH!?! Harold! Don't sneak up on me like that. I thought that those brats had come back again, in greater numbers..."

"What brats?"

"Some teenaged brats were inside, trying to take off with some of our equipment when i got here. I assume they wanted it to "pimp their ride", so to speak. But it doesn't matter, i chased them off."

"You tell them that this stuff is too cheap for that? That it's more likely to shred their ride than pimp it?"

"...Shut up."

Harold enjoyed a quick chuckle for that before getting serious. "Have you heard of anything from Adam? Last i saw, he may have been hit by a car."

"Yeah, i heard about him. The doctors phoned me, said that i was on his list of contacts for some reason, kept asking about his folks. He's in critical condition, they don't know if he'll make it."

Harold nodded at the news, at least it was better than what he had suspected. Still, not that amazing to hear...

"Look, Harold, you shouldn't worry about that...you should focus more on your own folks. Have you contacted them, let them know that your safe?"

"That's why i ran back here, i need my cellphone...you wouldn't happen to know if those brats took it, do you?"

They certainly tried, it's in this bag that they dropped when i got the jump on them, here." The boss said while handing it to him. Harold fished it out and started calling, hoping that whatever calamity had happened around them hadn't hurt them. He handed the boss his Caller as someone on the other line picked up.

"Hey, Tristan. It's me, Har-"

"-name is Tristan, i'm not near my phone right now so leave a message and I'll get back to you."

"Shit...Um, yeah. It's me, Harold. I'm alright, tell mom that first. Seems this thing is happening all around the world so call back when you can so i know you all are safe, bye."

He hung up before turning to the boss and nodding, not that he'd noticed, reading up on the world-wide effects...

He waited a few moments before re-dialing, trying to contact them.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Shortly after the nurse left to make the call, Leon's uncle showed up, looking a bit tired and dirty, but otherwise none the worse for wear.

"Oh my God, Leon! I'm so glad you're alive!" He shouted, and wrapped his arms around the teen, much to hs surprise and discomfort.

"Er, yeah. You know me, I'm pretty hard to kill." He mumbled.

Thankfully, a shy cough broke up the akward moment, and they both looked to see the nurse standing in the doorway. "I can see you're doing well," she said. "We just need to run a few tests to see if there's any lasting damage, otherwise you're free to go."

"Yes, of course." Leon glared at his uncle, who didn't seem to notice. He really wasn't looking forward to going throuhg medical exams...

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
Marcus looked back and forth noting the lack of medical professionals looking at him as he stepped out of his bed standing up and stretching out his arms and legs. He made one final sweep of the room before subtly walking outside, without waiting for approval from one of the doctors. He felt fine, the nurses even told him and as much as he enjoyed being with the other people in the medical tent he needed some fresh air.

He walked around the grounds surveying the destruction caused by the earthquake and lightning, several trees had fallen alongside some buildings having their windows broken, however the majority of buildings looked alright at least from the outside so that was something to be thankful for.

"you know it's lovely to know that despite this disaster I'll at least still have a university to go to and speaking of going to university, where's my bike?" Marcus said to himself genuinely grateful as he smiled to himself

Marcus set off towards where he chained his bike having to avoid the now closed lecture theater adding a whole 5 minutes onto his trip but letting him take in more of the sights of the partially destroyed university. Rounding a corner he arrived at the front of the university noticing several emergency crews rushing in and out, he also noticed the spot where he parked his bike was now replaced by a pile of rubble, the verandah it was chained to having fallen down as a result of the earthquake. He ran up to it examining the spot more closely hoping his bike was moved but as soon as he got there he noticed several pieces of bent metal crushed underneath the rocks and upon dropping to his stomach to look under the debris he even saw a wheel pinned under the rest of the wreckage.

Marcus got to his feet and brushed the dust off himself letting out a sigh and a single expletive under his breath.

"Well that's just great now I have to walk home, probably have no one to sell to as well because of this disaster bullshit which means it'll be a long while before I can afford a new bike, GOD DAMMIT!" Marcus kicked the air in front of him out of frustration or at least he thought he did for a split second he felt something solid against his foot, something with the consistency of rubber he looked down in surprise and for a split second saw something that looked like a red, glowing bicycle before it suddenly disappeared.

"a bike?, I finally go insane and all I get out of my hallucinations is a bike? like a purple dragon or Jesus Christ I could deal with, but a bike?...man, being crazy sucks" Marcus sighed as he took a look at the sky his eyes transfixed on the spiraling beam of light shooting from the mountaintop.

"well the aliens theory is looking more plausible by the minute" Marcus said as he tore his eyes away from the beam and started walking back to the medical tent.

I wonder if you can guess what power I got?.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
As David strolled though the University grounds he paused for a moment, feeling some kind of breeze pass him. He thought it was strange since the day was deathly calm, no breeze should have been going that day. Then David fell to his knees, his body was no longer entirely under his control and he couldn't get up. Something was moving his limbs, his arms stretched out and his hands opened and closed, as if something was testing the limits of his body. Then it moved to his torso, twisting him this way and that. Then his legs straightened, allowing David to stand up.

What the hell was this? Some other entity was controlling his body, it reached out his left arm and pointed it at a bench. It then pulled the arm back slightly and the bench was wrenched out of the ground. Coming towards David, the other entity closed his fist and the bench began to contort itself into a crumpled wreck of twisted metal. David then felt the entity release him and allow him to continue, but David could feel the presence like a hand on his shoulder.

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
Marcus was walking along the path back to the medical tent.he hoped to ask one of the doctors about getting something for his 'Hallucination', or at least that's what he thought it was, but he managed to touch it, feet it as if it were really there.

During his walk he spotted his English professor a short distance away, he glanced at him for a brief second glad to see he was alright before he suddenly fell to the ground and started convulsing. Fearing the worst Marcus started rushing over but before he was halfway He spotted his professor standing back up, Marcus let out a sigh of relief however it was short lived when he noticed him gesture towards a bench before it suddenly lifted up and crushed itself into an unrecognizable hunk of metal. Marcus quickly ducked behind one of the nearby buildings peeking his head out as he watched from afar.

"okay apparently my English lit professor has telekinesis...does this mean he knows about all the times I copy pasted arguments from the internet on my English essays?...wait no that's telepathy...and also that's unimportant...does this have something to do with the blue light aka the frontrunner for the 'weirdest thing that's happened today award' and could this and my hallucination be linked?..."

Marcus' eyes went wide with realization

"OH MY GOD, my teacher might be an alien!"

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
Drake listened, albeit halfheartedly, to the doctor's words about his injuries and the appointment for the MRI, only really making note of the date. Finally, when he was released, Drake was taken by surprise as he suddenly found himself in the middle of Ryan's tight embrace. "I thought you were dead!" Ryan spoke with an obvious lump in his throat. "Can you even imagine what a night's it's been looking for you?!"

"It's not like I could've made things easier...wasn't exactly conscious." Drake spoke somewhat awkwardly. It felt nice to have someone care about him like that, but the sudden shift in tone was jarring. Not really knowing what else to do, Drake just returned Ryan's embrace until he was released. "How's the family..er, mine and yours?"

Ryan wiped his eyes and he recomposed himself. "Oh, they-they're fine. My folks were in the country visiting my uncle and John and Nancy only said the dogs were spooked. They asked about you, you'll have to call them when we get back."

"So the apartment's okay?" The pair were on their way towards Ryan's car, obviously worse for wear with several dents and a cracked headlight.

"We got lucky, neighbor's windows were broken, but our place is fine. Some stuff probably fell and broke though, I haven't been back yet." Ryan let the unspoken "I was looking for you" be inferred rather than officially said as they both got in his car and settled in for a drive through the crumbling city.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
The streets on the way back were badly mangled. Avoiding fissures, potholes and the like took great effort.
Other than Ambulances and police cars, traffic wasn't that major.
Eventually, Kevin arrived at Tom's Diner.
The building looked none the worse for wear. Architecture from around WWII was incredibly sturdy. Better building materials were used due to the lower relative cost of materials. Modern architecture was a bit flimsier.
There would probably be a lot of orders coming in. People would be afraid to go out for food.
Kevin locked his bike outside, and went in.
Inside, Kevin saw Tom talking to a man in a black suit, and sunglasses.
"It's good to see you're all right Kevin. This man claims to need to speak with you."
The man in black spoke up.
"Hello Mr. Anderson."
Outside, several black vans pulled up.

hiei82

Aug 10, 2011
It was several hours before Iskierka managed to convince the doctors that 1) her fever was either not a problem or - more likely - non-existen, 2) that she had more important things to deal with - just as they did - and, 3) that they couldn't keep her in bed against her will.

With those factors in play, she managed to secure her release. From there, she headed back to her office to get what she needed (and do some minor cleaning to find said items), and make her way to the scientific meetings on the strange circumstances of the eruption. There she would work until fatigue overtook her.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Harold kept redialing the phone every ten minutes, trying to contact his family. His boss stood a few feet away, trying to estimate the costs to fix the garage. In the meantime, they talked, mostly about random things that were on their mind, how long does concrete need to set, rooftop gardens (they'll accept having them on italian and french restaurants but everywhere else is subject to opinion and, if necessary, ridicule), and the amount of business they would receive once they got everything settled. Eventually, the boss asked, "Harold. Do you know what your living situation is?"

"...What do you mean?"

"Do you know if you still have an apartment anymore? If it has collapsed or not?"

"No...i would assume not due to the small amount of damage done, but no, i don't."

"Well, if you need one, you can come stay with me until you get some new lodgings. I assume that most vacancies at the hotels and apartments will be taken by those who have lost their homes or who's homes would be rightfully condemned for their damage and I'd rather you not get caught up in that."

"Well, thanks...I should go check up on that anyways, you know.", Harold said, getting up. Focusing on his own lodgings would get his mind off the fact that he couldn't get in contact with his family. With that, he walked off, said goodbye to his boss and heading home.

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
As Ryan drove through the cracked and pot-marked streets of Plainview, he sighed at the sight of the damage. "Reminds me of when that tornado came down from Oklahoma, wrecked most of the town."

Drake nodded, though he wasn't looking out the window. "Yeah, lost Jasper in all that..."

"You remember that?" Ryan looked at Drake in disbelief before shaking his head and looking back at the road. "I was ten years-old when that happened...weren't you like, three?"

Drake shrugged, not really finding it odd. Sure, he didn't remember actually dwelling on the event, but to him he always remembered the tornado itself. "Yeah, I guess I was, so?"

"I dunno, you never brought it up before. Figure a three year-old would have a pretty unique perspective on something like that."

Drake shrugged again, turning away from Ryan to look out the window. "It was a noisy dark thing that thrashed my babysitter's house and probably killed my cat; there isn't much to tell and I don't think I want to remind myself of losing my first pet."

"Okay, fine..." Ryan dropped the subject and just continued driving. The only sounds that drifted through the car during the rest of the drive were occasional sighs from Ryan when they reached a point on the route where their path was blocked.