The New XIII: It's Not What You Think

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The New XIII: It's Not What You Think

The first XIII: Lost Identity screens have been unveiled, leading shooter fans around the world to ask, "What the hell is this?"

Shooter fans may recall announced XIII: Lost Identity [http://www.amazon.com/XIII-Pc/dp/B00008Z0HX/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1319221777&sr=8-8].

[gallery=518]

But wait. What... what is this? The screen shots released today do feature a guy who looks very much like XIII, but the screens themselves don't seem quite right somehow. They look very... casual adventure-y? I think I even see a hidden object scene in there. Hidden objects? In my XIII game? Apparently it's more likely than I think.

Not that this is a total surprise. Ubisoft's XIII was based on a Belgian Syndicate [http://www.amazon.com/Day-Black-Sun-XIII-Cinebook/dp/1849180393/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319222002&sr=1-1]; it began life as an FPS and then was turned into a... well, a hidden object game. Not quite the same thing after all, I suppose.

XIII: Lost Identity is slated for release in November for the PC, Mac and iOS, which probably should have been our first clue.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Good, I'll add this one to my "Don't even bother looking up anything more about this pile of crap, go back to oggling SotS2 and Skyrim." list.

Mate397

Aug 18, 2011
i used to play XIII a lot, i just liked the cartoon style :D and it was pretty fun too, sure the stealth parts took me a while but i still enjoyed it. but this looks nothing even close to it o_O

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
WHAT. THE. HELL?

I was totally pumped for this game. I cracked out my copy of XIII and started to replay it, having a throughly good time!

Then I see this.

Seriously? That's one hell of a genre change. This isn't even going to attract the same sort of audience that played the original XIII. You know, those people who wanted a thrilling sequel to a game that ended in a rather large cliffhanger.

But no. We get this. THIS! And I actually LIKE adventure games like this.

*Walks off muttering angrily to self.*

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
Well, that's a pretty big letdown. Was looking forward to more crossbow-power.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
I like how appropriate the title is, "Lost Identity". Why it sure looks like this game's lost its identity, doesn't it?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Another franchise screwed.

Are they intentionally doing this?! Do they really think it's going to sell better because of the name?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
This is the first time in my memory that the sub-title of the game reflects the game itself as opposed to the plot. It looks more like a seek-and-find, point-and-poke kind of puzzle game now. The iPad is capable of FPS games so why turn a shooter into...whatever the hell that is?

gizunt

Nov 20, 2009
wut?...WUT?!??! I had really REALLY high expectations for this game, hell an HD remake would have been enough... but this... this is BLASPHEMY!!!

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Not too fussed really, the first one was alright but its old now, and I barely have much memory of the mechanics or how it ended. and I don't have the game anymore to give it another playthrough. So I'm quite happy skipping this and focusing on all the other much better releases coming out in the next few months.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Wow, I'm very surprised how IPs are used. First classics are turned into shooters and once you decide to do a follow-up to a shooter it becomes a casual puzzler???

If this is the new trend I REALLY hope there will be no continuation of my favourite games from the 90s!

Dinasis

Dec 28, 2010
Great. They've taken a great comic-based FPS about shooting baldies and warped it into a comic-based Clandesinty... If Piranha Games blindsides us all and does something similar to this with their MechWarrior reboot, 2012 may as well end the world...

Not to say Clandestiny was bad--it's hard to beat rescuing your girlfriend in a haunted Scottish castle...