The new Youtube layout

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I actually like it. I find it a lot cleaner and more crisp. Also the sub box isn't fucking me over as much as it was before.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well, just look at this-

It's wide, clean, open, not cluttered (see: clean), separates recommendations and subscriptions, and groups videos together by channel.

It's dark, cramped, cluttered, throws everything at you in a skinny, blog style format, subscriptions are organized just by date, so if you're looking for a different channel you have to scroll all the way down past every single video to find it, and like everyone's said, you can't delete videos from the home page anymore. Also, things that were in the drop down menu before are now stuffed into the sidebar along with the functions from the Videos page.

So now youtube.com/home is bookmarked.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
I was hoping that the old "Show more videos" button would actually show more than one additional video (even when there are others available) so that all of a channels videos could be in a nice 4 column grid.

Instead there is 1 column, each channels still get split into several sections, the "Show more videos" button is not 4x easier to miss, I have to scroll down forever because four columns was changed to one, you can't manually remove a video and they no longer disappear once watched.

Interface designer need to be fired lol.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
I like the new style but I don't like when they change features or remove them. If it was exactly the same just the new updated style I would enjoy it very much so. All the new channel options are horrible; I ended up just reverting to the old one. Which is a shame because the new ones looked good, just the functionality suffered.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
I would like to know what they were thinking during the changes. Hmmmm, well everyone has gotten used to that other perfect layout we made, so how about we cock that up and remove things and remove even more colours! That sounds like the perfect idea!. Ugh! I mean seriously! What did they fix and add! I can't find anything they have done to improve the site. That alone is the main issue here.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Guys, be sure to use the "give feedback" link to complain about things they shouldn't have taken out (like removing videos you've already watched and getting rid of bad recommendations).

The new homepage I don't mind too much. They need to get rid of that recommended video shit and put more sub videos, though. Their recommendations always suck and I don't want them there. That's not what I come here for. I came here to see if my subs uploaded any new videos. The old layout was perfect for this if you hit the subscriptions tab. A nice horizontal section of up to 4 videos from each channel based on who uploaded most recently. Now we have this less efficient vertical shit made even less efficient by wasting a 1/3rd of the screen on terrible recommendations. I don't know why it thinks I want to watch crap like "Skyrim unboxing" or "Spongebob Squarepants says hello to vector", and then at the end it's recommending a video I already watched. On the left side, the google + and facebook buttons need to get lost.

I heard some bitching about the "new video layout" which is just completely pointless bitching for the sake of bitching because that layout is the exact same as the old one. They just changed some colors.

But the new channel pages, those are atrocious. Remember people, every time you change your channel over to the new look and don't change it back to the old one that's actually functional, a kitten dies. Stick with the old channel layout and save a kitten.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Can't have looked very far, there was a thread on this yesterday.

My response is the same. Its good in some ways, and once you get used to it it's definitely an improvement. I just wish people would ditch the whole "ITS NEW I HATE ITS!!!"

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Rainbowloid said:
Do people seriously have nothing better to complain about than websites changing their layouts?
Do people seriously have nothing to complain about than others complaining? Seriously, it's like three times as annoying as the original complaints in the first place.

Anyway, yeah it does kinda suck. It's a dark, cluttered, ugly thing, and there was no real reason for the change.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Oh, thank God. The not-worse version. I didn't even like the last one but this new one is SO much worse. I'm almost tempted to stop going to the site entirely.

The first thing I did was was the feedback option, high-lit everything and raged in the comment section. Not that anyone will ever see it.

Thank god you taught me this /home alternative. I can't even understand what the hell I'm looking at, the entire site. It's a huge cluster ****.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
It's a pain to have my subs scattered all down the page. I'm not sure why they decided to change their layout to make things less organized. But that, with the fact that I can no longer take videos off the front page, mean I don't use it anymore. I'm back to manually searching all my subs, like I did before I got a channel. Wait, didn't I get one just so I didn't have to do that?

/sigh.
Also, I really hate Google's new aesthetic with the fat gray bars on white, but that's a more personal complaint.

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
It changed for me about a week before it did for everybody else. Am I the only one who got an early taste of the new format? Just wondering why.

OT: I hated it at first, but now I really like it. Once again, I've had more time to adjust than other people.

Niko Stepz

Dec 17, 2009
I actually enjoy the new lay out A LOT more than the last one. I don't know what everyone is complaining about ..

aksel

Nov 18, 2009
weker said:
I like it, IF they allowed me to delete videos on my sub box, I mean why remove that?
That is basically the only problem I have with the new design. It seems that all videos show up in my subscription box, it's easy to navigate and channels look really neat now. But no delete function. What the fuck.

Also, I have too often clicked the unsubscribe button by accident. There should be a drop down box, with a confirmation thingie, like it was.