The Newest Call of Cthulhu Trailer Plumbs the Depths of Madness

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Newest Call of Cthulhu Trailer Plumbs the Depths of Madness

Watch private detective Edward Pierce deal with his own madness in the new trailer for Call of Cthulhu.

There's been a new Call of Cthulhu game in the works at Cyanide Studios for a while. Announced early last year, the game will follow the story of private detective Edward Pierce, who is investigating the death of a famous artist and her family on Darkwater Island.

The official description reads,

"Pierce is used to trusting his instincts, but with whale mutilations and disappearing bodies, this is only the beginning as reality becomes skewed. As your investigation leads you closer to the sphere of influence of the Great Dreamer, you will start to doubt everything you see. You will have to find balance between your own sanity, and your determination in finding out what lurks in the shadows - as they say that madness is the only way that can bring you to the truth."

There's still no firm release date for Call of Cthulhu, and this is just the second trailer that's been released. That said, it appears to be shaping up to be appropriately creepy. It's scheduled to release in 2017 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

[gallery=6824]

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Cthulu Mythos is the most overrated thing when it comes to horror I mean jeez guys its scary and interesting but I don't see it as the Be All End All.

I still get creeped out by the most standard of things like Vampires and Zombies provided they do it well.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Heh, I remember there being a Call Of Cthulu game being out on Xbox and PC when I was growing up.

Guess it's a sequel/reboot to that. Not sure if I'm interested in checking it out though or even the original games since even though it and what seems like its sequels are on steam, I heard it might not have been ported/patched well.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Cyanide Studios, eh? Their games are kind of mediocre but they have a certain unique charm to them. And this looks rather interesting. Like the break they need to rise above mediocrity. So I'll keep an eye out, even though I'm not interested in horror games.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
I greatly enjoyed the original game. However, that one had more in common with the Shadow over Innesmouth story than it did Call of Cthulhu. I'm not sure this one is taking the same route. Personally, I'd prefer a video game adaption of Mountains of Madness.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
Cthulu Mythos is the most overrated thing when it comes to horror I mean jeez guys its scary and interesting but I don't see it as the Be All End All.

I still get creeped out by the most standard of things like Vampires and Zombies provided they do it well.
No need to be so dramatic. Besides, games about Cthulhu mythos rarely end up being good at in the horror side.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
008Zulu said:
Is this a Hidden Object game, or a walking simulator?
It doesn't seem like a hidden objects game (and the Escapist doesn't cover that genre)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Okay. But what is it?

A point-and-click adventure? A Telltale type affair? Survival horror? A walking simulator? Action adventure? A walk-around-a-forest-with-a-faulty-torch-and-low-stamina-collecting-pieces-of-paper game?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Zhukov said:
Okay. But what is it?

A point-and-click adventure? A Telltale type affair? Survival horror? A walking simulator? Action adventure? A walk-around-a-forest-with-a-faulty-torch-and-low-stamina-collecting-pieces-of-paper game?
After playing the last Sherlock Homes game (Crime and Punishment) and Outlast, I can see this being a mix of the two with a graphics overhaul. Doesn't look like they're going full Taletell, but until we see proper gameplay footage, it'll be hard to tell.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:

How is it overrated when we hardly ever get anything related to the cosmic horror genre in gaming or film? I get that it's big in pop culture, but it's hardly in anything that isn't just a meme.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
Silk_Sk said:
I greatly enjoyed the original game. However, that one had more in common with the Shadow over Innesmouth story than it did Call of Cthulhu. I'm not sure this one is taking the same route. Personally, I'd prefer a video game adaption of Mountains of Madness.
There is a video game adaptation of MoM. However, it's one of the worst garbage games on Steam with some very unpleasant developers. The "delete all criticism from the forums and try to have Steam reviews removed for being negative" sort.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
I do greatly enjoy the lovecraft mythos and cosmic horror in general
But i've never really been fond of video games based around it
mostly because they're always horror games
and I don't like horror games (I haven't played Alien isolation since I encountered the alien for the first time)

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Death Carr said:
I do greatly enjoy the lovecraft mythos and cosmic horror in general
But i've never really been fond of video games based around it
mostly because they're always horror games
and I don't like horror games (I haven't played Alien isolation since I encountered the alien for the first time)
The CoC game from the original xbox was quite good but I dont like horror games in general. Ive not played a good one in some time.

And Isolation bored me once I realised I was just playing hide and seek with someone faster than me who is unkillable and always knew where I was.

Hiding in a cupboard is not my idea of awesome game play.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Calling it now. It's either a direct adaptation of Shadow over Innsmouth or heavily inspired by it.

I really hope it's better then Dark Corners of the Earth. I really wanted to like that game. The concept was good. The execution....not so much.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Dalisclock said:
Calling it now. It's either a direct adaptation of Shadow over Innsmouth or heavily inspired by it.

I really hope it's better then Dark Corners of the Earth. I really wanted to like that game. The concept was good. The execution....not so much.
I hope it has mods. Why? I want this.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Silk_Sk said:
I remember reading somewhere that the sequel was planned to be about Mountains of Madness, but the studio closed before it went anywhere.

ArcaneGamer said:
Dalisclock said:

Linking the story, because everyone needs to know about Old Man Henderson. [https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Old_Man_Henderson]

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
hittite said:
Silk_Sk said:
I remember reading somewhere that the sequel was planned to be about Mountains of Madness, but the studio closed before it went anywhere.

ArcaneGamer said:
Dalisclock said:

Linking the story, because everyone needs to know about Old Man Henderson. [https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Old_Man_Henderson]
Thank you, Also, this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkj6wvRZEJdDPeAlSPDrYGwOGSytfpnvn