The Newest Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer is All About Exploration and Discovery

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Wrex Brogan said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
Well, shit.

I went and got excited about this game, and I'm probably gonna regret getting it on day one.
Could always do what I do - get excited, but wait a week for all the reviews and public opinion to get out on it. 'Cautious optimism' is what I like to call that.
That's how i avoided No Man's Sky.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
gmaverick019 said:
I appreciate that info, however that doesn't explain the absolute perfect timing of it nor was it ever brought up prior to this game, a project of this undertaking would've been stumbled upon at some point, or it would've been mentioned "well, the reapers got us, hopefully the arks will be okay/figure out a way to end the reapers." in some sort of way.
Well, in-universe, I can accept the perfect timing as being coincidence - after all, you can do a lot in a decade, especially in a setting that already has FTL travel.

Of course it's kind of a plothole that this wasn't mentioned, as you can visit Luna in ME1 (ME2 as well I think, haven't played it), but we all know what the out of universe explanation is (Arks weren't concieved until after ME3), so I guess we have to roll with it. It's not unheard of in fiction.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Hawki said:
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Andromeda_Initiative
All good and well, but the game itself better have that and more info too. Shouldn't have to read stuff from outside the game to get that kind of background information.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
MC1980 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
It looks good. It looks really good. But I heard, "Blaze your own trail" and I immediately thought, 'Oh, you mean like what you guys DIDN'T do in the ending to the original trilogy?'
I want this game to be good, but I'm not buying it right away. I am going to wait, for once in my life, and see what the general opinion is on it.

On a side note, is the game going to explain why their are Krogan, humans, and probably other familiar races all the way out here? I know it's not impossible, but...it just seems weird, considering how long your crew has been traveling in hyper sleep just to get here.
There were 4(or 5?) arks, you are the last one to arrive, the others have already set up shop. 1 of the arks is a mini Citadel.

Now what I'd like them to explain, is where they got the resources, technology and time to make them, plus why the fuck they decided to use them during/right after ME2.
Aw, okay.
And as for your question, I can answer that easily:

"Guys, I got a bad feeling that this Reaper story is going to go sideways in terms of plausible outcomes. So we're going to gather up a bunch of people and secretly ship them off and hope that they get far enough away to avoid the massive fallout that Commander Shepard's ending is going to have. Sounds good, right?"

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Let's see
mako is back
forward posts paradoxically limiting exportation.
ubisoft style open worlds.
lots of money on celebs
those animations (you guys know the ones)

then again Drew Karpyshyn is back
that man is the heart and soul of a lot of the old bioware writing and you didn't come to bioware games for anything other then good writing so there can still be some salvaging. I await your dialogue sir

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
In a nutshell; The Andromeda Initiative is multiple rich companies and persons looking to exploit the resources of Andromeda. Their venture begins in 2176. Mass Effect timeline begins in 2183, 7 years after the project's start. The Arks launch in 2185, during the events of ME2, before the Reapers arrive.

MC1980 said:
It's a pretty nasty retcon, no matter the explanation. The arks are far more advanced than anything else made by people in the galaxy, including your one of a kind cutting edge spaceship. One of the arks is literally a mini Citadel, yet no one has even attempted to make a mass relay before that. Not to mention no one even acknowledges its existance in the other games, despite it being a pretty big deal in a lot of ways and no doubt incredibly fucking expensive.
Look at it this way; There are private space agencies right now that are looking to go to Moon/Mars/asteroids for science/industrial mining/colonizing. Odds are you aren't talking about these initiatives with your friends on a daily basis. But, you most likely would when your way of life is threatened.

It most likely would be like that in the ME universe; It's happening, but no one pays it no mind because it is just another "rich person boondoggle".

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Looks like a lot of fun, especially if they manage to improve the sidequests by a ton.

Bioware was never very good at facial animations, so it's not a selling point for me. Previewers noted that only the protagonists faces felt off, so it's possible the chargen is complicating things. Which seems obvious.

As far as retcons go. Why give a damn?
Besides, none of this is all that far fetched for a galaxy-spanning federation of species to attempt at all, regardless of a reaper threat. I'm curious if they manage to put in some other links to that particular Milky Way problem situation though.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Fdzzaigl said:
Bioware was never very good at facial animations
Pretty bad at dance animations too. nightmares of the Shepard Shuffle. Maybe there will be an option to keep helmets on during conversations.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
ffronw said:
There will be over 100 planets and other space bodies, including moons. Out of those planets, a "handful" of worlds can be landed on.
Does this mean the game will fall into the trap of being as wide as the ocean but as deep as a puddle?.

Only a "handful" being explorable doesn't excite my space boner in the slightest

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Hawki said:
pookie101 said:
now that trailer is more like it.. mass effect goes star trek :D
I think Mass Effect has been "going Star Trek" since day 1. Well, that, coupled with Babylon 5.
Mass Effect 1 was very much Star Trek. (It also had the best writing, IMO, even if a lot of the game aspects were lacking.) It lost its way with ME2 and ME3 when logic, consistency and lore became largely irrelevant to the writing team. (NPC characterization improved, though, so there's that.)

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
The Lunatic said:
"Hundreds of worlds to explore!"

"Handful of crafted worlds..."

So, which is it..?
The ones that aren't handcrafted are probably procedurally generated.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Mortuorum said:
The ones that aren't handcrafted are probably procedurally generated.
"Explore" doesn't necessarily mean 'land on'. You can still explore the galaxy to discover and read about planets you can't interact with (like the original trilogy did)
Good point. That could be what they meant. We'll know for sure soon enough!