The Newest Warhammer 40K Game is Necromunda: Underhive Wars

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Newest Warhammer 40K Game is Necromunda: Underhive Wars

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1375/1375448.jpgMordheim: City of the Damned developer Rogue Factor has announced a new Warhammer: 40K title, Necromunda: Underhive Wars.

There have been plenty of Warhammer games announced and released over the past few years. They range from third-person action games (Warhammer 40K: Space Marine) to turn-based strategy/real-time tactics titles (Total War: Warhammer). One of those games was tactical RPG Mordheim: City of the Damned. Developed by Rogue Factor and published by Focus Home Interactive, Mordheim adapted the tabletop game of the same name to the world of video games. Now, Rogue Factor and Focus Home are teaming up again with a new Warhammer 40K tabletop adaptation: Necromunda: Underhive Wars.

The original Necromunda tabletop game had players controlling rival gangs that were battling it out in the Underhive. The upcoming game is much the same, described in the press release as a turn-based tactical RPG. The Underhive is said to be "a gigantic warren of derelict factories, rusted metal husks, and forgotten technologies. Anarchy, violence, betrayal and death rule this hellish place, long forsaken by any semblance of civilization."

There's no word on timing, or any further information available on the game just yet, but we'll likely hear more when Focus Home holds its "What's Next de Focus" event in Paris, France on February 1.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Mordheim system was really good, but it got really repetitive very quickly so I hope they can fix that problem, a more fleshed out narrative, more variety in equipment and ability would go a long way.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Meiam said:
Mordheim system was really good, but it got really repetitive very quickly so I hope they can fix that problem, a more fleshed out narrative, more variety in equipment and ability would go a long way.
Personally, I hope they make the enemies progress on their own like XCom and not just match your deployments exactly. I was sad when I got my first Impressive, and then realized that bringing it meant that enemies would have one every single battle too. Ended up using it once and then never again. Same with higher level units / heroes. It always felt like having a stronger army benefitted the enemy more than it did me.

It really kneecapped progression, for me. Made me feel like I was just running in place. I've heard you can pull ahead once your troops are optimized and trained up, but I never got to a point where the training costs of skills were a practical expense in the 25~ hours I sunk into my Mercs warband.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
SlumlordThanatos said:
Now all they need to do is make a video game adaptation of Dark Heresy, and I can die a happy man.
Aren't they making an Inquisitor game where you go around hunting witches and mutants and the like?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Benpasko said:
Personally, I hope they make the enemies progress on their own like XCom...
I've never heard of the game referenced, but a game of Necromunda has always been pretty much my no.1 hope for any GW license, though only if it was more or less a re-skin of XCOM - a template I believe would fit Necromunda's tabletop game perfectly.

Mordheim seems to have been a bit of creative misfire, so I suppose hoping my favourite GW tabletop game gets an adaptation to match the brilliance of XCOM's design remains foolhardy...

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Silentpony said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
Now all they need to do is make a video game adaptation of Dark Heresy, and I can die a happy man.
Aren't they making an Inquisitor game where you go around hunting witches and mutants and the like?
From what I've seen of Inquisitor, it's more of a Diablo-esque ARPG.

I'm after something more along the lines of Mass Effect, where we start off as an acolyte in an Inquisitor's warband, get paired with other acolytes, and work your way up, third-person shooter style.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
Man, I hope it's a good game, I really do, but given the dev's track record with Mordheim I severely doubt it. Still, hoping for something good is the best I can do now.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
It's got my interest, but I hope that doesn't mean that rogue factor is going to completely stop adding more content to Mordheim. It had a rocky start in my Steam library and I abandoned it for months before coming back, falling in love, and buying every damn piece of content I could find.

Aug 31, 2012
I found Mordheim to be incredibly frustrating. The concept was a good one, but the basic gameplay just bored me to tears and the risk/reward system was crap.

Hope this one is much better.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Turn based tactical RPG is very much X-Com. I am, wait, there's like a spark in the endless void of darkness.. is it? Yeah, I almost think it's "hype". I think I am feeling The Hype for this game.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
I'm not that big into the fantasy warhammer stuff, 40k is more my speed, so i might keep an eye out for this.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Silentpony said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
That game (Inquisitor: Martyr) has nothing to do with Dark Heresy roleplaying system.