The next dominant genre in gaming.

thetenet

Mar 12, 2008
Following Yahtzee's logic from his Zack & Wiki review, the reason why adventure games are a death genre now is because they became such a big seller that they overwhelm the game consumer as a genre and felt under their own weight. We can deduce that the same is happening with FPS, for every good FPS we get 20 crappy ones.So what genre os going to be the hallmark of the gaming industry next cycle? I am putting my money on open world games as next dominant genre, you know "like GTA but...."

Natural Hazard

Mar 5, 2008
Horror might be creeping back up, JRPGS are finally making a decent break for the 360, but with games like portal i think we will see an increase in puzzle based genres

Necrohydra

Jan 18, 2008
I think it's too early to tell what the next dominant genre is, since we're still in the middle of the domination of FPS's. Plus, unlike adventure games, FPS's also have the multiplayer factor, which could keep it going much longer.

VRaptorX

Mar 6, 2008
well....it went platformer...adventure....JRPGs....FPS....and now it's freeroaming and MMO and "casual" games. The next big trend is likly something we never expected.

personally.....I just want quality again on a generally consistant basis. Once something becomes mainstream everyone copies and rushes things. Let's get a little bit away from mainstream. Just have a FEW good games a year of each genre instead of a hundred mediocre ones.

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
Natural Hazard said:
Horror might be creeping back up, JRPGS are finally making a decent break for the 360, but with games like portal i think we will see an increase in puzzle based genres
I think you could be right. Horror or Horro/Sci-Fi. Seems like games like RE5, Dead Space, the New Aliens game are all in the limelight presently. Plus Condemned 2, that new Horror MMO (forget the name), etc. etc.

I don't think it'll be adventure, though I'd sure like a new Monkey Island, or a new Maniac Mansion game.

FPS had it's day. RPGs perhaps could be making a run?

VRaptorX

Mar 6, 2008
If RPGs make a return....please let's go back to the 16 bit days where every one had a UNIQUE plot.

Esmoreit

Oct 10, 2007
I think that the next big genre to topple is MMO's. You can already see it happpening. WoW has over 2/3d of the market share I believe, and the rest is scrambling for crumbs. I heard that they already pulled the plug out of Tabula Rasa...

I think the genre after that will be the strategy games. I believe Endwar and all upcomming strategy's this year will spark a new interest, followed by market saturation then a new downfall.

simo9352

Jan 23, 2008
I would love to see space games come back. Particularly Open world one like Elite with real land able planets and maybe first person space stations walks/shoot outs!

RedSigma

Mar 7, 2008
purifiedinfire said:
although i hate them, MMORPG's are getting more and more popular. i really hope that stops.
I think MMO's can become a great success as long as they're just not the same. Thats what seems to be happening now, all the developers are coming to terms that if WoW is so successful, why not make their own version? The problem lies within the "RPG" portion of MMORPG's. Why not try something new? MMOFPS's to me seem like a very profitable idea. An MMOFPS has already been done and despite its mediocrity it might have paved the way for what may come in the future (Huxley looks like shit, don't mention that one).

In short, MMO's need to stop copying WoW and try creating something new. Else we will see the fall of the MMO age very soon.

KaynSlamdyke

Dec 7, 2007
I'm loathe to identify with genres any more. The boundaries are starting to become vague. So I deal with concepts personally.

Sandbox has been the dominant 'genre' for a while now since the success of GTA3. It's one of those major features, and looking at my new 360, three maybe four of the five games I have for it could be defined as having major sandbox elements (Crackdown, Assassins Creed, Burnout Paradise and Mass Effect is the one on the maybe).

Personalisation and Customisation are simmering as must-have features now, but I think soon someone will hitch the idea about actually combining Open World with Open Character and capitalise in a big way. Especially if Chris Crawford's Storytron sells and someone bastardises it to work in a game world.

Procedural Content is the major next thing if Spore takes off. But hey, what's procedural other than the computer doing some work in reaction to what you're doing? Now if someone mixed all three of those together, they'd have a winner. A feasible one too if they didn't think too much about voice acting or having to construct dialogue other than in pictogram form.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
MMO's, FPS's and GTA clones are all the rage at the moment.

Thanks to Gears of War and Uncharted the Third Person Shooter is making a comeback and we shall see what becomes of that in the near future.

MMO's seem to be waning a bit as the failure of Dungeons and Dragons Online points out the difficulties of competing with WOW.

Traditional RPG's of the Japanese variety are on the wane whereas I suspect we'll see some Mass Effect immitators in the future but whether this is a major stride in the Non-Japanese RPG Genre still waits to be seen.

Starcraft II and the recent successes of C&C 3 and Supreme Commander may point to a rise in RTS development.

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
I think FPS is really headed for a slow-down. It seems to me that FPS is the easiest of the console game types to move to online multiplayer, which is the big sexy business model right now. But it will saturate, not so much because everyone will be sick of FPS, but because enough of the market will be playing online that the economic incentive to throw something, anything! onto Xbox live will be gone. I think MMORPGs will do the same but less slowly, because most of them simply more recent and the genre hasn't been driven so far into the ground that it's gone through the center of the earth and reappeared in China. Yet.

VRaptorX

Mar 6, 2008
major stride with Mass Effect....I doubt it. It takes probably 30 times as much time to make that game with every single possible outcome you could choose. It would be nearly impossible to have hundreds of clones of something like that (which is a good thing if you think about it) so it won't become a huge rave. That and....let's face it....who in USA buys RPGs mostly? The cosplayers. And I don't see anyone cosplaying as anything american.....outside of Ash from Evil Dead.

KaynSlamdyke

Dec 7, 2007
VRaptorX said:
And I don't see anyone cosplaying as anything american.....outside of Ash from Evil Dead.
I dunno. Large white hoodie, some white cloth to extrend it, a load of latex knives and a latex sabre, oh and something to hold the wristblade...

Altair would make an awesome person to cosplay. Get some of your mates to bring in some cheap looking armour with red crosses on it and you can assassinate one of them in the middle of the crowd, and have a sword fight in the parking lot. It'd be fun.

((Edit: Okay, yes, Assassins Creed is a Canadian game from a French publisher. I was assuming American as a synonym for Western))

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
The Wii has brought a ton of mini-game collections and "casual" games, although I also agree about FPS's - look at how quickly Rainbow Six Vegas 2 came out after the first one.

Portoparty

Feb 27, 2008
though its more of a sub genre of the already huge FPS , I would love to see the tactical FPS shine for a while... you know... a decent one, like "Ghost Recon: Desert Storm," where the tactics are more than just take cover and waste bullets.

Baba booey

Mar 4, 2008
hopefully real-time rpgs. Rogue galaxy, FF12(which I sold before playing(ebay ps2 bundle) due to a lack of time) .hack gu(and to a lesser extent the old .hack), and tales are all great. I'd like to see more from this genre because you can only get so creative with the standard turn-based rpgs. I need some more story as well to really keep me hooked to turn-based ones because I occasionally get rushed and get lazy and skip dialog with some of the more boring ones.

VRaptorX

Mar 6, 2008
KaynSlamdyke said:
VRaptorX said:
And I don't see anyone cosplaying as anything american.....outside of Ash from Evil Dead.
I dunno. Large white hoodie, some white cloth to extrend it, a load of latex knives and a latex sabre, oh and something to hold the wristblade...

Altair would make an awesome person to cosplay. Get some of your mates to bring in some cheap looking armour with red crosses on it and you can assassinate one of them in the middle of the crowd, and have a sword fight in the parking lot. It'd be fun.

((Edit: Okay, yes, Assassins Creed is a Canadian game from a French publisher. I was assuming American as a synonym for Western))
yeah....youd be right on that last sentence. I really gotta work on that.