The Nintendo PlayStation.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
As we all know, Nintendo and Sony were working on a SNES add-on, but Nintendo made a deal with Phillips, and that led to the PlayStation.

I hear about how Nintendo betrayed Sony, but why is Nintendo in the wrong? Sony was going to get the rights to Nintendo's characters. It's not like Sony was completely innocent.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Sony was going to get the rights to Nintendo's characters. It's not like Sony was completely innocent.
You got a source for that, because this is the first time I've heard about this in relation to the SNES cd add-on. Also, I'm pretty if ownership of Nintendo IPs was ever on the table for this partnership, it would've never gotten past the first meeting, because Nintendo would never ever agree to it.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Not really, but that's what I've heard.
Is this because of the CDi Zelda/Mario games?

Because yes, Philips had obtained the rights from Nintendo to develop a number of games for the CDi using those characters, but those rights only extended to those particular games. Once that contract was fulfilled, that was it, they could produce no more, and I have no doubt Nintendo negotiated a clause that any rerelease of those CDi games could only be done with their approval (even if they hadn't turned out atrocious games). It certainly did not give Philips a right to thoses franchises as a whole, because any competent IP holder would be crazy to just turn their IPs over like that. Unless they're absolutely destitute maybe, which Nintendo certainly wasn't at the time.

Sony could've potentially gotten a similar deal, but nothing more. Not with someone as notoriously protective of their properties as Nintendo across the negotiating table.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I posted it before but this thread bears relinking -

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Not really, but that's what I've heard.
So if I may, what exactly are we supposed to get out of the thread in this case? Are we to discuss the would-be of the partnership? The system itself? You haven't really started this thread off with a direction, so I'm compelled to ask

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I posted it before but this thread bears relinking -

Yeh. Afaik, the partnership between Sony and Nintendo was never officially ratified, because Sony wanted a very favorable license agreement that would essentially give Sony full control over any disc published on the add-on, giving Sony an incredibly easy way into the gaming business. Fearing that by doing this it would unintentionally create its fiercest rival, Nintendo backed out and publicly humiliated Sony, thereby unintentionally creating its fiercest rival.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeh. Afaik, the partnership between Sony and Nintendo was never officially ratified, because Sony wanted a very favorable license agreement that would essentially give Sony full control over any disc published on the add-on, giving Sony an incredibly easy way into the gaming business. Fearing that by doing this it would unintentionally create its fiercest rival, Nintendo backed out and publicly humiliated Sony, thereby unintentionally creating its fiercest rival.

Funny they would’ve ever agreed to a partnership in the first place. Seems all they did was piss them off, and the rest is history.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Funny they would’ve ever agreed to a partnership in the first place. Seems all they did was piss them off, and the rest is history.
But it gets better. Pretty much straight after CES '91, Sony walked up to Sega of America and said "Fuck Nintendo, right?" and after a bit Sony got told to go wanting again because Sega of America and Sega of Japan couldn't see eye to eye.

Not really surprising tho. SOA and SOE being petty bitches over each other's achievements is pretty much what caused Sega having to drop out of the console business.