The Nintendo Switch Has its First "Tablet Exclusive" That Can't Be Played on TV

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Nintendo Switch Has its First "Tablet Exclusive" That Can't Be Played on TV

Voez is a Japanese rhythm game that can only be played using the Nintendo Switch's touchscreen tablet.

Here's some interesting news: Japanese developer Flyhigh Works has announced a rhythm game for the Nintendo Switch that can only be played while the system is in portable mode. The game is called Voez, and utilizes the Switch's tablet touchscreen as its only form of input, meaning that it's impossible to play while the system is in docked mode.

"This software can not play in TV mode," warned the developer [http://flyhighworks.heteml.jp/games/voez/] on its official website. The game is currently slated to launch alongside the Nintendo Switch in Japan on March 3, as a digital-download only title. There is currently no US release date, nor plans for localization.

[gallery=6984]

While Voez is a very niche title, and may never even make it outside of Japan, it does open the door for more "tablet-only" Switch games. Mainstays of the 3DS that leaned heavily on touchscreen controls, such as Professor Layton, could eventually see themselves reborn as tablet-only Switch titles.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-27-nintendo-switch-has-its-first-touchscreen-only-game]

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Considering the shitty battery life of the Switch in tablet mode, this is not a good path to go down.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Kotaro said:
Considering the shitty battery life of the Switch in tablet mode, this is not a good path to go down.
Could always carry around the power cable, or get a battery bank & usb-c cable, to be fair.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Kotaro said:
I feel an adapter that allows you to plug the tablet in a outlet could be a smart move. Similarly a car adapter would also help. I did this with the Gamegear back when that was relevant.

No idea if Nintendo has any plans for that. Not even sure if the Switch could support that sort of accessory.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
...This is a mobile game. It's in no way exclusive:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rayark.valkyrie

In other words: If you've got a tablet or phone, you can already play this game and not have to wait for the Switch.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
I mean did anyone not see this coming? I figured we'd see some games that only used tablet mode the second they revealed it was a touch screen, I'm only surprised Nintendo hasn't announced their own mobile games for the Switch

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Dr.Awkward said:
...This is a mobile game. It's in no way exclusive:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rayark.valkyrie

In other words: If you've got a tablet or phone, you can already play this game and not have to wait for the Switch.
I think by exclusive they mean tablet screen exclusive, not platform exclusive.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
RaikuFA said:
Does this mean we'll get a sequel to EBA?
FUCKING FUND IT, NINTENDO.
Saltyk said:
I feel an adapter that allows you to plug the tablet in a outlet could be a smart move. Similarly a car adapter would also help. I did this with the Gamegear back when that was relevant.

No idea if Nintendo has any plans for that. Not even sure if the Switch could support that sort of accessory.
It'd be doable, but don't expect your car battery to last long at all doing that. You're better off carrying a USB-C power bank with you and charging at night or getting one with passthrough support and just hooking up cheap USB solar charging panels to the thing.

MetalheroDamien

Blackwing Hybrid Hero
Mar 25, 2010
Saltyk said:
Kotaro said:

Not sure what you're talking about. They sell USB-C compatible wall warts and car chargers. That's the ego point of using USB-C in the first place.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Eh, I'm down for more rhythm games and don't mind changing the settings on my console to be able to download it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Saltyk said:

It'd be doable, but don't expect your car battery to last long at all doing that. You're better off carrying a USB-C power bank with you and charging at night or getting one with passthrough support and just hooking up cheap USB solar charging panels to the thing.
Good point. While the old Gamegear could kill 6 AAA batteries in a few hours, it probably wasn't as bad as a modern console. I really wasn't thinking of that.

MetalheroDamien said:
Saltyk said:
Kotaro said:

Not sure what you're talking about. They sell USB-C compatible wall warts and car chargers. That's the ego point of using USB-C in the first place.
I honestly don't really know much about the details of the Switch. It doesn't really have anything I want so I didn't really consider looking into it in greater detail.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
...You know, you could just like...not have it stop you, right? Its fine if it only uses the touchscreen, but to force you to be in portable mode...what benefit does that do?

That would be like if I couldnt play a 3DS game with the charger plugged in. If I am playing it in bed, I prefer not to drain the battery...

Zendariel

May 15, 2012
Saelune said:
...You know, you could just like...not have it stop you, right? Its fine if it only uses the touchscreen, but to force you to be in portable mode...what benefit does that do?

That would be like if I couldnt play a 3DS game with the charger plugged in. If I am playing it in bed, I prefer not to drain the battery...
Isn't the touchscreen covered when switch is docked? I think you can charge it and probably have joycons attached and what not while playing in portable mode even if the game only used touch screen?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So you can't charge and play that thing with its low bettery life?
Because I do that all the time with my 3ds.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
loa said:
So you can't charge and play that thing with its low bettery life?
Because I do that all the time with my 3ds.
Sure you can. Just need a generic USB-C cord