The North/South divide?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Edible Avatar said:
ace_of_something said:
Man, Britain. Just draw a line on the map like we do.

Hell, we make our children learn to color it in that way. Though I'm not sure why this botard kid went rogue and colored Alaska and Hawaii like that.
or why he utterly failed in coloring the U.P.

[sub]YOOPERS ARE PEOPLE TOO! *Sobbing*[/sub]
It is colored in. It's colored white. Why? Well, it's practically Canada.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Same where I'm from, although it may have to do with the fact that one half speaks French and the other Dutch/Flemish. The French part used to be rich but got left behind in the industrial revolution, I believe. They seem to hate eachother quite a lot, since we can hardly form a government.

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
Northerners hate Southerners because they're jealous and want to be us :3

In my opinion, anything North of London is considered "The North", a place where people don't speak proper English and act in a weird way. Of course I'm not seriously hateful of Northerners, I just have the much needed jokey snobby attitude up here at University (in the North, it's not the Midlands, it's still the North and is full of Northerners!) and my Northern friends give me stick right back, but it's all in good humour. I'm from the South coast myself, can't get much more Southern than Brighton :p

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Malty Milk Whistle said:
hello! i'm a southerner in England, and recently one of my best mates (from yorkshire) has had a bit of stick because she is friends with " a southern ponce" i'm from a middle class family, and i'm wondering....What is this divide? and what are you opinions on it? i think it may also reach to america, but with superiority feelings reversed?
It does reach to america, only in america it goes both ways. We of the south generally see ourselve's as "above" northerners. And those up north generally see us down south as unintelligent hicks that are no more fit to be considered middle class or up than we are fit to tie our own shoes successfully.

I think part of it comes from the same place that shows why this world will never be free of conflict. To put it simply, HUMANS ENJOY RIVALRY. This team or that, this race or that . . . this country or that, north or south, east or west, coffee or tea however you want to call it humans enjoy doing it. Christian or Muslim, Aetheist or Deist, Republican or Democrat, it's how humans are.

So, in summary, this person claimed your girl is friends with a "southern ponce" because it's a natural part of regional superiority.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
I just realised. Would the Roman occupation of England have anything to do with this? The Hadrian's wall and resulting cultural differences?

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Mau95 said:
I just realised. Would the Roman occupation of England have anything to do with this? The Hadrian's wall and resulting cultural differences?
More the Danelaw, really, according to linguists.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
thylasos said:
Mau95 said:
No idea what that means, but thanks anyway.

Daeric

Oct 27, 2011
You also have to remember that Northeners have being so awesome upon times that William Conquerer decided the only way to balance out the awesomeness in the Country was to massacre the North. It had nothing to do with the North being rebelious.

It was the same with the Scotts and the constant raiding of York (Nothing to do with the fact the city was built on essentially flood plains and thus was easy pickings)

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Mau95 said:
thylasos said:
Mau95 said:
No idea what that means, but thanks anyway.
Viking occupation of Northern England. Lots of local dialect words and names in the north have scandinavian roots.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
The divide is that straight line just below Yorkshire where you instinctively don't like anyone from below it. Come to think of it though, anywhere outside Yorkshire is a bit iffy. As is North, East and West Yorkshire. And Sheffield, Doncaster, anywhere that isn't Barnsley really. In fact, I'm not a big fan of those dingle easts either.

It's just one of those things that doesn't mean anything and is just fun to jibe at. Someone might call it a humorous satire on old stereotypes of insular British people afraid of the unfamiliar. I wouldn't though, not being one of them southern folk.

Daeric

Oct 27, 2011
Zantos said:
The divide is that straight line just below Yorkshire where you instinctively don't like anyone from below it. Come to think of it though, anywhere outside Yorkshire is a bit iffy. As is North, East and West Yorkshire. And Sheffield, Doncaster, anywhere that isn't Barnsley really. In fact, I'm not a big fan of those dingle easts either.

It's just one of those things that doesn't mean anything and is just fun to jibe at. Someone might call it a humorous satire on old stereotypes of insular British people afraid of the unfamiliar. I wouldn't though, not being one of them southern folk.
Surely all us Ley folks must stick together! Keighley, Shipley and Barnsley!

I just thought a good way to test if your from the north is how you pronounce my hometown of Keighley.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Daeric said:
Zantos said:

I just thought a good way to test if your from the north is how you pronounce my hometown of Keighley.
People from outside of Yorkshire aren't really that good at Keefley.

(Up the deedahs!)

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Daeric said:
Zantos said:

Keighley's good. I myself came from Barugh Green, try pronouncing that one. Honourable mention to people from Barnsley and the pronouncing of Dodworth, although the real challenge I think is Slaithewaite.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
North, South, who cares, why can't we all just be friends here??

<youtube=WJTBPdVpdMc>