The Oculus Rift and stereoscopic blindness

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
As the Oculus Rift is becoming more and more relevant, I can' but feel that I am being excluded from something awesome

i was born with stereoscopic blindness (in layman terms: i can't see 3d). All of the news on the Oculus Rift make me exited and all, saying how this is the next step in gaming and virtual reality, but then i am brought down to earth when i remember i can't see in 3d, and get headaches when i am exposed to anything 3d(when my passive eye is strained).

All of that makes me feel that I am missing out on this new advancement in gaming, as , for me, all i would get out of it is a low res 2d image pushed up into my face with a headache to go with it.

So, are there any fellow stereoscopicly blind escapists, and if you aren't one, will I miss out on something awesome, or is this just a gimmick that will disappear over time?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
The Oculuc Rift was dead on arrival. It's a gimmick like 3D tvs was, and it isn't taken seriously by the mainstream videogame industry for good reason. I've tried it, and apart from the larger field of view (which isn't that good since you still need to turn your whole head to see more of the "screen") there isn't that much worth picking it up for. The 3D isn't that good when it's there, and it's not worth the effort of putting it on in 90% of cases where there isn't 3D.

Simply put: your only missing out on a gimmick, and one that's going to fall into obscurity within 3 years.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I'd imagine you won't miss out on much. Like all other visual gimmicks, it probably won't go over too well with gamers, and you won't hear about it much in a few years. It's just popular now because people want to see what it can do, which probably isn't much when you consider actual substance.

Chucker

Sep 3, 2008
Even with stereoscopic blindness which technically I have also, the experience is still immersive in that you will have video for both eyes. With your dominant eye possibly having 'ghosts' appearing from the weaker eye. For cinema RealD 3D movies I still have the sensation of depth because of this. The red-blue anaglyph 3D doesn't work for me in the slightest and I imagine that even the 'sterescopicly' sighted folks find some colour issues with it.

To put it simply, my one bad eye good eye vision is replicated in a virtual world.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
My old boss was kind of a show-off he bought a 3D TV shortly after they came out, and stopped using the 3D setting for games a few days after. Still seems happy to show it off so I guess it was a good purchase.

Anyways.. even people who can see it properly get headaches and eye-strain. It's not worth. That said I have yet to try an oculus rift, but seeing as the screen is beside your eyes I imagine its pretty rough.