The Official Selection for the Extra Credit Innovation Awards

bastyaan

Oct 19, 2009
If this is Terrorist killer, then I have lost all faith in Extra Credits
Link: http://mostplays.com/play/Terrorist_Killer_23174

Otherwise the list is good. I like magicka.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Fate of the World for narrative delivery?
I bought that game and played through it a couple of times. Sure it was interesting to fiddle around with (albiet nothing I haven't seen before) but was there really narrative to speak of? Certainly there was a message, but message and narratives do not float in the same boat.

Extracredits

Jul 29, 2010
Also, as a note:

We could only include games that were submitted, so if a AAA company didn't submit we couldn't consider their game no matter how deserving it was.

Extracredits

Jul 29, 2010
bastyaan said:
If this is Terrorist killer, then I have lost all faith in Extra Credits
Link: http://mostplays.com/play/Terrorist_Killer_23174

Otherwise the list is good. I like magicka.
Oh god no. That's not it at all. I only have a link to the game maker file, but http://www.necessarygames.com/weblinks/goto/112

Hope that clears things up ; )

pwnsore

Apr 6, 2010
restoshammyman said:
my vote is for magicka
Agreed, it got a bad rap for the multiplayer being unplayably buggy at launch, but that has been resolved. I would love to see it gain the reputation it deserves as an excellent game that is always forcing the player to innovate. Also its funny as hell and is approaching critical meme-mass. Theres an entire Monty Python chapter, an entire Star Wars chapter...

Phalanges

Apr 18, 2011
Extracredits said:
Also, as a note:

We could only include games that were submitted, so if a AAA company didn't submit we couldn't consider their game no matter how deserving it was.
What was the variety of games like that were submitted?

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Magicka and A Flippin' Good Time look the most interesting to me.

restoshammyman

Jan 5, 2009
Selvec said:
Magicka made the list? That games complete crap. Its nothing new at all.

More proof that Extra Credit needs to be taken very lightly.
not new at all?
name one other game that has the same combat system.
or anything even remotely close to it.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Well I'm going to take a look at all these games, that mount and blade looks awesome...Kinda like a total war game...

Jul 9, 2008
Irridium said:
Seeing Mount and Blade Warband up there for unbelievably awesomely fun makes me happy.
Me too. Granted, I haven't had much fun with With Fire and Sword yet, but I didn't have fun with Warband at first either, so hopefully, something will just click again.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
It probably doesn't qualify, but the first thing I thought of when I saw the "Must Unbelievably Awesomely Fun" (I think that's a typo, BTW. Seems like "must" should be "most") heading was Saints Row 2. I don't care if it's totally mindless: spraying sewage all over half the city and then running around flashing everyone is loads of fun.
Anyway, I should check out those three games that did get into that category out. I do play games first and foremost to be entertained, after all. So games that are described as "unbelievably awesomely fun" sound like games I want to play.

Speakercone said:
If I may ask, sir, why do you find Magicka to be crap? When you say it's nothing new, where have you seen specific design elements in it before?

Also I must point out that "it's crap" is a universal claim as to the quality of a thing. Magicka clearly isn't universally crap due to the fact that I and others enjoy it. Perhaps what you meant to say is something along the lines of "I found it to be crap", meaning that your statement is your own opinion.
*sigh*

His statement already was his own opinion. Unless the thing being discussed literally is feces, we already know that a statement claiming something to be crap is an opinion, because he can't prove that the game is crap any more than you can prove it's not crap. And we can infer from context that it's his own opinion and not somebody else's because he's the one who posted it.

Next time, just agree politely instead of trying to make everyone you disagree with post redundantly. Or at least quote people who say things like "go magika! fantastic game that feels like a steal for 10 bucks. fun as hell" and tell them to change the way they post as well (even if you agree with them), because the only difference between those two statements is one person liked the game and the other didn't. But both opinions are presented exactly the same way, and only giving the person you disagreed with grief over the way they wrote their opinion is quite unfair.

Lenin211

Apr 22, 2011
Glad to see Mount and Blade on here. I was worried that I was the only one who played it.

Jan 27, 2011
What? Sanctum didn't make it? ...Did those guys not submit it? ...aww...

Because I just got into Sanctum yesterday and boy is it fun. It's basically tower defense but with FPS elements to it. You can actually assist your towers in taking down enemies, and in fact, you NEED too most of the time.

Slimshad

Sep 16, 2009
Notice how all of these are indie games? That's cause indie is the only ones taking innovation into consideration. I don't particularly care if a game is innovated or not, just if it's fun. The only game I found TRULY fun out of the ones i played in that list was Amnesia. And Screw Space Chem. It's really innovative, but no fun whatsoever.

SoftBlade

Oct 3, 2010
Slimshad said:
Notice how all of these are indie games? That's cause indie is the only ones taking innovation into consideration.
I have to disagree with you on that. I think, many off the AAA companies didn't think it was "worth it" to submit anything, which is sad. Thus, we are stuck with mostly indie games. Maybe there is some innovative AAA game out there that we are just not noticing? Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Some of the games do look very interesting, and I've been considering buying Magicka for me and my friends for weeks now. Guess the nomination means I have no other choice now :p On that, Flipping Good Time does seem like a VVVVVV rip-off, but maybe there's just something that makes it different. Wish there was a demo to just try it out though. Can't afford to buy now :/ It would be nice if someone who has played both could throw in an opinion here... *poke*

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
UrKnightErrant said:
uguito-93 said:
Kakashi on crack said:
plugav said:
uguito-93 said:
Still surprised by the complete absence of AAA games
I'm not, given how often someone at The Escapist points out how AAA titles too expensive to afford the risk of serious innovation. (Which is an observation I agree with, by the way.)
I would have to agree with this. Occasionally you get a good AAA game, but a lot of them are kinda... meh.
gotta say that thats almost always true, but i thought we would at least get one in the fun category (obviously not in the others)
AAA is all crap. Consoles are crap. If you're looking for real innovation in game design (as opposed to gimmicks like motion control and 3D) it's all PC, and it's all indy. That's why I find it so funny when XBox 360 fanboys lock horns with PS3 lovers. New gen console fanboys are a bunch of munchkins and twits IMO. It's like watching people arguing about the relative superiority of brown crap vs. green crap.
i smell a troll trying to start a flame war

The_Decoy

Nov 22, 2009
Anyone here play fate of the world? It is both hard and kind of depressing. Though actually kinda relevant to my degree, and I've decided that playing it is basically revision for my Environmental exam tomorrow :D